Author Topic: Please recommend me some horror movies  (Read 1726 times)

Offline Lepprador

Please recommend me some horror movies
« on: January 08, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »
After years without seeing horror movies, it was The Descent (the cave alone would have been enough) that brought me back.
Following it, I saw a handful of cool flicks, like High Tension, The Conjuring, Insidious or The Ring. So, I guess I like mainstream good looking atmospheric movies.
After a sci-fi spree, now I'm in the mood for horror. I'm looking for movies made in the last 5 years. I don't like Found Footage or Torture.
I like everything Sam Raimi did and I love Braindead from Peter Jackson.
So, please recommend me some good horror movies, but please not Martyrs. Something about it scares me, that I'm really sure I don't want to see it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Please recommend me some horror movies
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2017, 11:44:40 AM »
The thing (john Carpenter)
The shining (kubrick)
Halloween
Phantasm

The living dead trilogy
Texas chainsaw massacre
The exorcist
Alien
Carrie
Christine
The Dead Zone
IT
Poltergeist 
Jacobs ladder
The mist
Pet cemetery part 1 
American psycho
Black swan is like psychological with horror elements
Terminator part 1 is like sci fi horror

Thriller/horror:

Silence of the lambs
Manhunter
Seven
Shutter island

In the last 5 years:

It follows
Sinister part 1 

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I will post more as I think of them. Almost none of them are in the last five years, but they are worth watching anyway. For me, the stuff of the past blows the new stuff out of the water, but that's just me.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 12:15:21 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2017, 12:13:47 PM »
Not really a fan of the more jump scary-horror movies, because I tend to lean more towards atmospheric ones.

The Witch from last year was amazing in that aspect, you felt your skin crawling because of how uncomfortable the atmosphere was throughout. Short summary is that a family in the old times (i don't remember the year) are banished from their village so they move out and settle at the edge of a forest. Their youngest child disappears and there may or may not be a witch involved. You might need subtitles because the old english spoken might throw you off, but you might also be fine without them. It's a slow burn where you feel at edge and you feel like something bad is gonna happen and I loved it.

Another movie similar to The Witch but not as popular that I also loved is The Invitation, from 2015 I believe. A guy and his new girlfriend are invited to a dinner party at his ex wife's house with her new boyfriend and some other friends. What starts out as a regular dinner party soon starts to get stranger and stranger. Another movie where the tempo is kinda slow and the movie takes its time, but you also feel the tension from the atmosphere.

It Follows, The Babadook and Don't Breathe are three other great horror movies from the last few years.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 01:31:03 PM »
Not really a fan of the more jump scary-horror movies, because I tend to lean more towards atmospheric ones.

That's a very good start.

Yeah, I saw that Witch movie and it can't burn slow enough for my taste, but for whatever reasons that movie left me cold.

I don't know if I have already seen It Follows. Was it that movie where people where standing on top of houses. If yes, it was a good one that made me turn around to check if nobody is standing on houses for  2 or 3 days after watching the movie.

And I have already seen the Badadook. I liked it.

That leaves The Invitation and Don't Breath as recommendations I'll consider. Thanks.

Thank you, too Phoenix87x. I've seen most movies from your list. Undeniable classics.
The ones, I believe, I havn't seen are: Phantasm, The Dead Zone, Manhunter and Black Swan.

A little recommendation from myself: Burning Bright
A low key, but very clever movie with a hot actress (Briana Evigan).

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 03:06:01 PM »
That leaves The Invitation and Don't Breath as recommendations I'll consider. Thanks.
Thank you, too Phoenix87x. I've seen most movies from your list. Undeniable classics.
The ones, I believe, I havn't seen are: Phantasm, The Dead Zone, Manhunter and Black Swan.

Definitely see Don't Breathe and Black Swan.  They are both awesome.  Black Swan is more psychological and weird, whereas Don't Breathe is more intense and brutal, but they are both amazing in their own ways.

A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night is excellent, too.  If you decide to check it out, do be prepared for subtitles, as it is filmed in Persian.  So if that's an obstacle for you, you might skip it, but I highly recommend checking it out.  A surprisingly fresh and stylish take on the vampire genre.

Speaking of vampires, if you haven't seen Let Me In, do.  It's another vampire movie, but it's a uniquely emotional and atmospheric take on the genre.  A lot of people prefer the Swedish version, Let the Right One In, so consider that if you feel like taking on another foreign vampire movie, but I prefer the American version, myself.

I also highly recommend The Green Room.  It features Patrick Stewart as the sinister villain, and that alone makes it worth watching in my book.  It's probably more of a thriller than a straight horror movie, but it still has its disturbing moments, and it is incredibly tense.

The Shallows is another one you might consider.  I feel like it's gotten mixed reviews, so take this with a few grains of salt, but I personally loved it.

Lastly, I want to mention Lights Out.  Put this in the category of Insidious and Sinister.  This one genuinely creeped me out to the point where I had to turn some lights on in my house after I finished watching it.  There's nothing really strikingly original about it, but it plays with fear of the dark in some very effective ways.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2017, 04:16:35 PM »
Sounds like Don't Breathe is right up my alley.

I fear, I'm a little burnt out on Vampires. Perhaps a side effect of seeing that Twilight movie as a male, but a good werewolf feature like Dog Soldiers is always welcomed. 

Quote from: Jaffa
It's probably more of a thriller than a straight horror movie, but it still has its disturbing moments, and it is incredibly tense.

That's all it takes. No blood, no jumps. Just intensity.
So if the Green Room is incredibly tense, I have to keep it in the back of my mind.

I have already seen The Shallows a few days ago and was enjoying it very much.
The less locations and actors a movie needs, the higher the chance I'm going to like it.

Lights Out sounds promising.  :laugh:

Note for myself:
The Invitation, Don't Breathe, Black Swan, Green Room, Lights Out

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 03:19:28 AM »
Last night I saw Lights Out. Was shitting my pants before the title was shown. Like you say nothing new, but I thought the way that thing moves was extremely well executed. Also fantastic camera work. Awesome recommendation.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 08:19:03 PM »
Oh good, I'm glad you enjoyed it! 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline FracturedMirror

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »

That's all it takes. No blood, no jumps. Just intensity.

The less locations and actors a movie needs, the higher the chance I'm going to like it.

Session 9 - trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4s-5eJq47bY

From those two sentences I really think you would love it.  It's about a small crew of guys clearing asbestos from an abandoned insane asylum, and it was filmed on location at the Danvers State Hospital.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 10:46:47 PM »
I second the Session 9 rec. Great movie.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »
Green Room is an awesome, awesome film. Definitely more thriller than straight horror but highly recommended. Easily one of my favorite movies from last year.

It Follows was really, really good. I wasn't very scared, but it's a very creepy film. (Assuming you saw a different film)

The Witch was also fantastic. I didn't find it very scary but there's a very palpable atmosphere to it and it's just an incredibly beautiful movie.

Oculus is one that hasn't been mentioned. Really unsettling and more horrifying than any of the others I've listed. Also great for being able to criticize each and every thing the main characters do in true horror fashion.

The Neon Demon is a film that... not many people seemed to like but I enjoyed it. Like The Witch it's absolutely beautiful to just watch even if absolutely nothing is happening (which is, honestly, a regular occurrence in the film) but it is a very... slow film and much more of a psychological thriller than horror. The soundtrack is great and the ending is just pure madness in the best possible way. Might not belong here but I'm throwing it on because why not.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2017, 04:22:54 AM »
Last night I saw Don't Breathe and Green Room. Enjoyed them both very much, but Lights Out was terrifying me in a way not too many flicks did before. Imho Sinister and Insidious are tame compared to Lights Out. I was really glad, when it was over.  :lol

I've already seen Oculus a few years ago. Definitely worth seeing.

Session 9 sounds promising. Will keep an eye out for it.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2017, 07:13:11 PM »
Child's play part 1
Fright night

Two recent watches. Both are damn good

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2017, 11:34:02 PM »
Lepprador, have you ever seen The Grudge?  Or better yet, Ju On, the Japanese movie The Grudge was based on?  I didn't mention it earlier because I was trying to focus on more recent titles, but if you haven't seen it, you might want to check it out.  I bring it up because you seem to have really enjoyed Lights Out, which reminded me of The Grudge in some ways - there isn't a strong connection between the two, but I feel like they achieved a similar type of creepiness.

I also wanted to mention [REC].  One of the more effective found footage style horror movies I've ever seen.  It's a little more on the gore-and-jump-scare side of the genre, but it also maintains a lot of tension and atmosphere.  I recommend watching it in the original Spanish with English subtitles, as it gives it more of a legitimate documentary feel. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 03:50:33 AM »
I've seen the Grudge and [Rec]. Both classics of the genre and right up my alley. I thought the appartment house in [Rec] was a great location and the build-up in the fire station was delicious. Yeah, I can see similarities in the Grudge and Lights Out. Thanks for trying anyway.

Phoenix87x, is Fright Night a remake of that 80s movie with the same title, where a vampire moves in the neighbourhood ?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2017, 10:42:34 AM »
The first Japanese Ringu.

Pisses on the paint by numbers American remake.

Scary as shit and spooky as fuck.

Also - a lot of people diss it - but I like the Cube. Not so much the second one but the first one is pretty cool.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
The first Japanese Ringu.

Pisses on the paint by numbers American remake.

Scary as shit and spooky as fuck.

:tup

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2017, 03:22:33 PM »
I've seen the Grudge and [Rec]. Both classics of the genre and right up my alley. I thought the appartment house in [Rec] was a great location and the build-up in the fire station was delicious. Yeah, I can see similarities in the Grudge and Lights Out. Thanks for trying anyway.

Phoenix87x, is Fright Night a remake of that 80s movie with the same title, where a vampire moves in the neighbourhood ?

the original is the one go with. The remake is not so good.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2017, 09:42:55 AM »
It Follows is a beautiful 80's love letter that is also a really tense, fun (as far as horror goes) movie.

Coherence is one of my favorite films of all time for a few reasons. One, it's not a horror per se, but it is so unsettling at moments and it was filmed entirely with the actors' having only "key points" to touch upon and the rest was improvised. But I like to consider it at the very least a Sci/Fi Thriller, but a friend I showed it too was utterly freaked out by it so...

That's all I have for now, I'll post some more if I see some and remember more.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2017, 03:45:24 AM »
Because of your recommendation, I have seen Coherence. Honestly, I don't know what to think. I guess the setup / premise was too constructed / artificial for my taste, but the one thing that stood out for me was the timing of the cuts (bad ass).
Interesting flick and worth watching nonetheless. Thanks for that "leftfield" kind of recommendation.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2017, 10:03:25 AM »
Hey, nice, I'm glad you at least checked it out! It's definitely one of those niche films.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.