Author Topic: Eric Calderone ITNOG Solo Challenge  (Read 1760 times)

Offline clinks63

Eric Calderone ITNOG Solo Challenge
« on: January 04, 2017, 08:45:31 PM »
I really loved his Let It Go cover (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usPoug7NcZo) and love his other covers but not that impressed with his ITNOG solo cover but still good. hehe.., it's good really :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWLu6BerhjQ

Hi all!

Well, had to sit down for this one haha. The top comment on the last solo challenge video was "Dream Theater". That narrowed it down pretty much haha. The 2 that were mentioned the most were "Stream of Consciousness" and this one. I learned "As I Am" and SOC off of Train of Thought somewhat before so I decided to go with the one I never touched. Hope I showed a sloppy tribute to JP's nastiness :P

The Silent Man,

E

PS: Happy New Year from clinks63!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 09:04:42 PM by clinks63 »
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline gzarruk

Re: Eric Calderone ITNOG Solo Challenge
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
Well, the first part sounded a bit slow to me, but then THAT unison came in at the right tempo and it was pretty good, if you ask me. I can only dream of nailing a DT part like that (I'm a bassist, not a guitarist, but still), so I think he did a great job!  :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
clinks!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 08:22:53 AM »
Not to be that guy, but he's doing the age-old trick of having a computer track play the correct sequence alongside his playing. That can cover up a LOT. Mind you, he's not bad, but you can't actually tell how good he is (or not).
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 08:34:48 AM »
Not to be that guy, but he's doing the age-old trick of having a computer track play the correct sequence alongside his playing. That can cover up a LOT. Mind you, he's not bad, but you can't actually tell how good he is (or not).

What do you mean? The backing track is the rest of the band minus the guitar. I hear plenty of delay which can gloss over problems, but I don't hear any other guitars.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 08:38:24 AM »
I know, I know. But you can't judge his performance because the JR track is so dominant in its "correctness".

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »
Yeah, I was going to mention the JR part of the unison, which definitely helps with the sync (especially as it's louder). You could probably say the same for the actual DT studio albums though to some degree.
Ever heard a bass track solo'd? They often sound a lot quite sloppy without the drum track.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 09:34:03 AM »

Calderone has a Master's degree in orchestration, and he records all the backing tracks himself. Pretty sure his skill shouldn't be questioned here lol.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
I kinda fail to see how a Master's in Orchestration establishes one's skill on the fretboard.

I'm not saying he's bad. I'm simply saying you can't tell how good he actually is.

Offline SchecterShredder

• The 'other other' Rich
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2017, 03:32:39 PM »
I kinda fail to see how a Master's in Orchestration establishes one's skill on the fretboard.

I'm not saying he's bad. I'm simply saying you can't tell how good he actually is.

What I'm saying is that the 'computer track' you referred to was more than likely him playing the keyboard harmony himself for the backing track, so even if you think it's covering up a lot, it's still his playing. You ought to watch literally any of his other videos to see that his skills are pretty evident. And, you don't need to be a guitar player to see that either

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2017, 05:00:12 PM »
Some of the critiques above are funny.  It's an insanely good cover.  I'm a decent guitarist, but no way I could nail this one like this guy did.

Can't agree with this at all.  I hear the unison and the volumes you guys are talking about, but I can also hear his guitar fine.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Evai

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 06:09:16 PM »
Hey guys, I got a lightbulb if any of you wanna screw it in  ;)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 07:02:17 PM »
Hey guys, I got a lightbulb if any of you wanna screw it in  ;)

What's the wattage?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 07:06:24 PM »
 Giggity.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Cable

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2017, 09:31:45 PM »
Yeah, I follow this guy and his skills are awesome. He kind of noted that he was a bit off in his description. But he is very smooth overall with his covers and skills.
---

Offline pcs90

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2017, 03:15:25 PM »
I do agree the keyboard part is a bit loud, but the guitar parts that I can hear sound pretty good to me, and he has some other videos I've heard that are excellent.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 03:18:32 PM »
The keyboard and guitars have very different tones. The keyboard is a bit loud, and often unnecessary, but I can still always tell what the guitar is doing and he was pretty spot on for most of it. A bit quick at times, but that's about it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2017, 02:33:50 AM »
Yeah, I've been following Erock for quite some time now and I can tell you he's a very talented guitarist and shows it in this video of ItNoG. Some timing issues at times, yes, but otherwise very accurate.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline PetFish

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2017, 12:04:34 AM »
I know guys like this have skills but they rely on the harmonizer way too much.  If they split-screened it and played the harmonies that'd be different, but the effect is just so tired and played, I wish the fad would just die already.  Yes, Petrucci uses the effect, as do most players at some point, but there's truth to the "less is more" philosophy sometimes and this is definitely one of them.

It's damn impressive, though, as a guitarist (haha) myself it's one thing to hear the music and imagine how it's played but actually seeing JP, or anyone else, actually playing it and watching their fingers just makes have to change pants every time.

It's also one thing to cover something, but to imagine the effort it takes to actually write the stuff in the first place hurts my brains.  I don't think us Dream Theater fans give the guys enough props for how much music they've actually written over their careers.  It's quite mind-boggling.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2017, 03:53:19 AM »
watching their fingers just makes have to change pants every time.

Signatured
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2017, 12:29:56 PM »
I don't think us Dream Theater fans give the guys enough props for how much music they've actually written over their careers.  It's quite mind-boggling.

Well, actually, I think that all DT fans have, some way or another, at some moment in the career of the band, acknowledged that fact. I know I have in any case.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Evai

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2017, 09:58:53 AM »
damn they've written a lot of songs

that one song is like 14 songs in itself

damn jp

damn

:tup
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.