Author Topic: Controversial movie opinions - the confession thread.  (Read 7817 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Controversial movie opinions - the confession thread.
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
I love Begins and Rises, but I don't like the Dark knight

I think its too long and there's too much stuff they tried to jam into one film. By the time we get to the boats, I am ready for it to be over, but it keeps going. Two face was underutilized and Dent could have been so much more fascinating if we saw an inner conflict. I can't take Eric Roberts seriously as a Mobster.

I also think it takes itself way too seriously and gets preachy in parts as well. They leave joker in an interrogation room not handcuffed or restrained at all, with one guy in the room with him for whatever reason. The script says the joker needs to escape by taking this guy hostage, so therefore, he is in the room with him.

Joker was great though, despite having lots of stuff conveniently happen for him.  I also like hearing Micheal Caine say Tangerine. So it does have its moments.

And I know a lot of people love Dark Knight and I respect that. But that was my confession.
Pretty sure I said it in the last thread like this, but Batman Begins is the best of the three for me, easily.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 08:33:08 PM »
As a film, I think Batman Begins is the best of them. As far as writing, directing, structure, plot, etc.

I think Dark Knight gets a lot of free pass because of Ledger's Joker. Dude was.....just beyond incredible. He more than deserved his Oscar, and he more than deserves all of the praise he gets. I'm a big Heath Ledger fan, and I have seen Dark Knight a ton of times, but I still cannot see Heath Ledger on that screen, I only see Joker. It's insane.

That said, the movie is good, but still has a good amount of problems. It does get preachy, it is almost two movies put together, with all of the Two-Face stuff being smashed into a Joker movie, doing a major disservice to Two-Face. Also the whole sonar...computer spies....whatever thing they had going on where Batman could tap into everyone's phones was just bad. It was preachy, it was sloppy, it was illogical, and just completely unnecessary. I mean, just remove the entire concept from the movie and it's already a lot better. Keep Harvey as Harvey and make him Two-Face either at the very very end or in the next movie and you've got a better movie.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2017, 09:03:33 PM »
- The Mummy (1999) is better than all 3 Indy Jones sequels.

Fuck. Yes :lol

I've tried to watch Lord of The Rings but I get too bored within the first 30 minutes of the first movie. I know it's amazing but I don't know why I can't get into it.

I saw the Indy films so long ago that i barely remember them so I'm not sure if The Mummy ranks higher however The Mummy is one of the only movies from my childhood that is as fun to watch as it was when I first saw it. Not many movies of that genre hold up from the late nineties IMO but The Mummy does.

The Mummy is such a fun film, and yeah it holds up really well.  I will add though that Indy Jones and the Crystal Skullfuck (the worst Indy film) is better than all the Mummy sequels + Scorpion King.

So bummed out there's a new Mummy movie without Brendan Fraser, he really was one of the best things about that movie and The Mummy Returns.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2017, 10:08:54 PM »
Batman Begins is the one I like more every time I watch it. My opinion on Dark Knight stays pretty much constant. I like Rising less every time I see it. I can't believe I thought it was just as good as TDK at the theater.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 07, 2017, 03:03:24 AM »
I love Begins and Rises, but I don't like the Dark knight

I think its too long and there's too much stuff they tried to jam into one film. By the time we get to the boats, I am ready for it to be over, but it keeps going. Two face was underutilized and Dent could have been so much more fascinating if we saw an inner conflict.

All this.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #41 on: January 07, 2017, 04:02:10 AM »
I like all three but Begins is my favorite as well.
I mentioned it earlier in another thread, I don't like Whiplash, if that's controversial and looking at the IMDb I'd say it is.
The Bourne Identity was so boring to me that I never bothered watching sequels.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 07, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
I was hoping that Half In The Bag would do a Whiplash episode and they'd point out all the pros and cons but they gave it a mere mention in an end of year wrap up and they said they loved it.

I liked the acting. JK Simmons was amazing. But It didn't keep me engaged and I only finished it for the sake of it and to see how it ended.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2017, 09:46:04 AM »
Watched Whiplash again last night. What an outstanding movie.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »

I only enjoyed the acting. Why did you enjoy it ? not being an arse - genuinely curious.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2017, 09:55:46 AM »
I won't lie, my experience in a jazz band helped draw me into the story more but everything was just so well executed. Some small things I can think of that add to it are no wasted scenes, great pacing, perfect runtime.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2017, 09:57:13 AM »
It did zip along but I kept looking at the clock because I wan't engaged. I was just watching it to get through it.

I guess I wanted a bigger payoff at the end.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

It's up there among my all time favorite movies.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
I don't think his reason of " i was just trying to inspire the next big thing " was good enough.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2017, 10:14:14 AM »
Well his dad had completely given up on him which was very evident at the end. In fact the only person who believed in him was Fletcher and all he wanted to do was prove Fletcher wrong (or right if you look at it another way).

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2017, 10:20:12 AM »
I meant Fletcher's explanation of being such a monster was " I was trying to inspire greatness ". But that didn't seem good enough.

One kid died and another testified against him but apart from just losing his job - nothing really happens to him.

Online faizoff

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2017, 12:40:04 PM »
I'm going to watch it again soon sometime. I love that movie.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »
I think the part I did like was Fletcher talking casually to Andrew before the audition and you know he's pretending.

Then the absolute fury that rises later.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2017, 02:11:45 PM »
One I've mentioned before, Avatar is a terrible movie. I even tried watching it and tried to enjoy it but I think the whole idea of it was ridiculous. The only blue people worth watching are called Smurfs.  ;)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2017, 02:14:54 PM »
I loved Avatar but I am not in the least excited for the sequels. And i'm also a massive Jim Cameron fan.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2017, 02:26:32 PM »
I never really made a big deal about Cameron. True Lies was great and I liked Titanic because I'm a fan of disaster movies, but I never cared much for the Terminator movies.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2017, 05:08:52 PM »
Cameron may very well be my favorite director, but I found Avatar very meh as well. Saw it one single time and that was in the theater. A "cool" experience for sure, but I never felt any desire to re-watch, in contrast to something like Terminator which I've seen probably 30 times and still enjoy going back to.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2017, 05:44:07 PM »
I loved Avatar but I am not in the least excited for the sequels.

I agree with this. I rewatched Avatar last year at one point and I still enjoyed it, but the novelty of it being the first 3D movie to really do a great job and take off will not be there for the sequels. They'll still do fine financially...heck I'll probably still see the first one at least in the theater on $5 Tuesday, but I'm not rushing out for opening night or anything.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2017, 09:03:24 PM »
Edit: Misread the post I replied to.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2017, 01:41:54 AM »
I am excited for the Avatar sequels, mainly because while I really like the first one for being one of the best theater experiences I've ever had, it's not a great movie at it's core. I mean, it's completely fine, but I almost feel as if the story wasn't even the point of the movie. With the sequels it sounds like they can really get into some more original and overall better stories, give that type of thing more focus and thought, which I'm very excited for.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2017, 07:59:22 AM »
I loved Avatar but I am not in the least excited for the sequels.

I agree with this. I rewatched Avatar last year at one point and I still enjoyed it, but the novelty of it being the first 3D movie to really do a great job and take off will not be there for the sequels. They'll still do fine financially...heck I'll probably still see the first one at least in the theater on $5 Tuesday, but I'm not rushing out for opening night or anything.

I will go see the 2nd one to see if there's anything new in this one and if it improves on the first in any way. Cameron is supposed to be doing this one in 60 FPS so it''ll be even faster looking than The

Hobbit. I wasn't blown away by 48FPS. But if anyone can do it right - it's Jim Cameron - say what you want about his films - but he is at least a visual perfectionist.

He doesn't do close up shaky cam like Michael Bay - the ariel stuff was my fave part of Avatar. Because you could see exactly what was going on. And the scenes were

choreographed and not just shake the camera around to imply exciting action.

Also - like 6 people were bought on to write the sequels so it seems he is focussing on plot a lot more this time around.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
Since we're on Avatar, etc. I guess my controversial statement is that I thought the 3D was pedestrian at best and barely noticeable outside of one of two scenes I can remember. Not impressive or groundbreaking in any way which is what Cameron was touting.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2017, 09:03:17 AM »
I never really made a big deal about Cameron. True Lies was great and I liked Titanic because I'm a fan of disaster movies, but I never cared much for the Terminator movies.

What about Aliens?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
Since we're on Avatar, etc. I guess my controversial statement is that I thought the 3D was pedestrian at best and barely noticeable outside of one of two scenes I can remember. Not impressive or groundbreaking in any way which is what Cameron was touting.

imo - 3D should be like CG. You don't even notice it unless it's really bad. I hate it because it's a gimmick but if it was filmed in 3D and gives the scene some depth and isn't just to poke stuff at you

then it's much better. Prometheus and Avatar were the two best films I saw in 3D. Everything else was just a pop up book.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2017, 09:14:54 AM »
Just the opposite.   Great 3D like the Michael Jackson 3D at Disney should blow you away.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2017, 09:15:31 AM »

What about Aliens?

What about it?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2017, 09:17:40 AM »
@King That's not a film. It's different if it's a show.

When i go and see the latest Star Trek movie - I'm not going to pay more for a lessened experience. It's darker, blurrier, the 3D looks flat...

I just want to sit and watch The Film in 2D with no gimmicks. As it was intended.

And piss off 4DX. Seats that move to the film ? Bet that costs a pretty penny too.

Imagine shaking, moving seats in the theatre watching a production of Waiting For Godot. Pointless.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2017, 09:19:44 AM »
That should be the standard. Most of the time the 3d leaves me lacking.   Movie or not that is what I want to see.  Of not I don't care for 3d.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2017, 09:50:21 AM »
I still haven't seen Avatar nor do I have any desire to.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »

What about Aliens?

What about it?

You didn't mention it in Cameron's good or bad films so was just curious if you forgot it or hadn't seen it