Author Topic: White Rabbit Project (Netflix series with ex-Mythbusters hosts)  (Read 1149 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
White Rabbit Project (Netflix series with ex-Mythbusters hosts)
« on: December 14, 2016, 10:17:56 AM »
Who else has checked this out?

I just finished the first episode, and was mostly disappointed. I was glad they created a new show to put Kari / Grant / Tori back together, and I was interested to see something a little different to Mythbusters, but it lacked what made Mythbusters enjoyable to me in the first place, or what made the hosts enjoyable to watch for me. The first episode didn't have the team building anything, or doing much of anything together, didn't feature any practical science, and was a lot of flash with very little substance. It also felt too scripted/forced, like the parts of Mythbusters I least enjoyed.
Overall, I just found it boring, being mostly a watered down primer for technologies that are already very well known (at least to me). There was nothing unexpected or new to look forward to at the end of the episode as with Mythbusters. Are the rest of the episodes much different?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: White Rabbit Project (Netflix series with ex-Mythbusters hosts)
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
Try a couple more episodes as they vary in tone.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
I enjoyed the first episode quite a bit. I gave up on the second episode about 20 minutes in. Tried the third episode, got bored there too. Kind of gave up.

I want to see the three of them building crazy shit, not sitting around talking about poorly documented things.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 12:26:18 PM »
Also it's still the first series. Mythbusters first two series were pretty bad too. Especially that unbelievably irritating folklorist who they quite rightly got rid of in S3.

They might still tinker with the format as it goes. In fact I'd guarantee it.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 07:44:27 PM »
It also felt too scripted/forced, like the parts of Mythbusters I least enjoyed.
I've seen two episodes now and this is my biggest gripe with the show so far aswell. It's like the final seasons of Mythbusters but even worse. Watching Grant act like a supervillain in the first episode was extremely cringeworthy, and Tori sounded bored as hell reading out his narration. I'd say it's quite overproduced and comes across as a bit sterile as a result, which is disappointing given the team's obvious chemistry when they're actually together and not acting out some ridiculous greenscreened scene.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:17 PM »
Also it's still the first series. Mythbusters first two series were pretty bad too. Especially that unbelievably irritating folklorist who they quite rightly got rid of in S3.

They might still tinker with the format as it goes. In fact I'd guarantee it.

Mythbusters was never bad, although it definitely improved. The folklorist was unnecessary, but inoffensive. I found the B-team more annoying than her, as much as I like them.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2017, 07:55:10 PM »
I agree with Blob. Yes the folklorist was annoying, but to this day I can easily watch early Mythbusters with no problem.

The problem with TWRP is that it's little more than a TV version of BuzzFeed click bait. "Check out the top 10 fastest animals on the planet".
There's also no chemistry, since they're not even interacting with each other.

Frankly, unless they majorly redo the show, I foresee a cancelation by season 2.

EDIT: And, I know Adam and Jamie will not work together anymore, but man, an Adam-only show would be awesome too.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 08:03:32 PM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."