Author Topic: Don't Look Past Me  (Read 5026 times)

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
Don't Look Past Me
« on: January 03, 2017, 01:21:49 PM »
How many different versions of Don't Look Past Me are there?

I have the one from "Cleaning Out The Closet"  But I also have one that is labeled as "Featuring John Hendricks."     Sounds like Charlie Dominici to me.

Can You guys clear this up for me and maybe give me a good link to decent sounding version of the ones other than James LaBrie?  Thanks
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Robo4900

• The Killing Hand
Re: Don't Look Past Me
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2017, 02:41:28 AM »
Ah, Don't Look Past Me. That's an odd one.

The song was written around the same time as Metropolis, Change Of Seasons, and To Live Forever, right after When Dream And Day Unite, but ended up being cut from Images And Words along with To Live Forever and Change Of Seasons. But, those four songs ended up being the main(And in most cases, only) ones used for the singer auditions in 1990.

Currently, all released recordings of Don't Look Past Me come from the 1990 singer auditions. Aside from the John Hendricks one you already know about, and the Cleaning Out The Closet version(Which is an interesting case I'll mention in a moment), there is...
Chris Cintron's audition
John Arch's audition (Although he was never seriously considering joining the band. Also this version uses slightly different lyrics)
And finally, James LaBrie's 1990 audition version.

The 1990 James LaBrie version is different from the Cleaning Out The Closet version with James, though. Since a high quality recording of James' 1990 audition didn't exist, they had James record a new vocal track over the instrumental tracks from John Hendricks' audition when they were releasing Cleaning Out The Closet. Assumedly, they did this in the studio while they were recording Scenes From A Memory.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 02:48:37 AM by Robo4900 »
Q: "When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to go also, would he have brought you, meaning she and then, to the station?"
A: "OBJECTION, your honor! That question should be taken out and shot!"
--Allegedly from Utah vs Kelly, Superior Court of Utah, 1994. May be apocryphal

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2017, 12:26:15 PM »
Excellent breakdown, Robo. You beat me to it. It's one of my favorite rarities of theirs which I hope will one day be played live.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2017, 03:51:29 PM »
Don't Look Past Me is amazing. It's a shame it doesn't get the recognition it deserves by the fans and the band.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

• No Day But Today
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:40:21 AM »
Thanks for the breakdown.    I appreciate it.   

I just wasn't sure if there was a version with Charlie Dominici singing.   The one I have that is labeled as John Hendricks sometimes sounds a bit like Charlie to me.    Sorry if that is offensive to John Hendricks!!!      :-)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
One of the things that I REALLY miss from Portnoy is the very old and rare songs coming up in the setlists. We'll probably never see this song live.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

• No Day But Today
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2017, 09:33:38 AM »
Grrrrr!!!!!

The only computer I have is at work.   It has windows 10 and keeps you tube in restricted mode - no matter what I do!!!!!!!!!

So, I was not able to view (or hear) the youtube links provided above!   grrrrr

I would like to complete my "Don't Look Past Me" folder!

On another note,   Don't Look Past Me is one of the first DT "bootlegs" I ever had - back In the early 90's.    A friend of mine probably got it from John Petrucci.   I think the cassette had To Live Forever on it also. 

Offline robr

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 11:56:20 AM »
Never say never! Too bad it was dropped for the later dates in this tour though :(