Author Topic: Politics and Religion  (Read 1048 times)

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
Re: Politics and Religion
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2017, 07:45:50 PM »
Totally think you're right Adami. People stopped "listening" just like in the offline world. Instead of really comprehending the conversation, only looked for keywords to counter point. I feel like it basically reflects the current political problems we have - not enough listening while vilifying/dehumanizing the opposition.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
Totally think you're right Adami. People stopped "listening" just like in the offline world. Instead of really comprehending the conversation, only looked for keywords to counter point. I feel like it basically reflects the current political problems we have - not enough listening while vilifying/dehumanizing the opposition.

If only Bosk had similar powers over America.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2017, 08:54:42 PM »
With all due respect, mate, such is life on planet Earth. You gotta learn to compartmentalize the personality quirks of others. Or don't and disavow two thirds of the population.

100% agreed Barto, And that's what you gotta do everywhere online. Except DTF, which I found to be my chill lounge of the internet, a place where strong/violent feelings were only expressed in matters of music and entertainment and people still had a degree of mutual respect with those who disagree with them on these matters. I never had to post in the same thread as someone who considers me a filthy parasite or a potential murderer.
But as my previous post indicated, it's all on me to just not go to that section.

I remember a few years ago there was a thread about Jon Stewart's rally in Washington. You were active in the thread and I remember making a response to something that you posted that came off bad because I worded it very poorly. I think that I tried to apologize after I realized that I failed in my delivery, but it's been a long time ago and I can't remember for certain. With that in mind, if I'm one of the people that gave you a negative vibe in P/R then I want to apologize. Rest assured that I intended no ill will.

You're a class act man, you are definitely not one of those people. I vaguely remember the incident you're talking about and I think there's a good 50% chance the language barrier on my side played a role in the misunderstanding :lol

I wanna be clear about something, I'm not sensitive, I'm not talking about passive aggressive behavior or jabs or even condescending tones, I can play ball back and forth with all these things and carry no bad blood after. I am talking about straight in your face insults and bigotry, direct and indirect.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline bosk1

• Bow down to Boskaryus
  • Administrator
  • Hard-hearted harbinger of haggis
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:49 AM »
I feel like one major problem with PR is the desertion of a lot of the more moderate posters. It seems we used to have a whole lot of level headed people on both sides of the spectrum who could discuss, debate and openly learn from each other and it was great. Then more extreme posters from both sides came in, who were less interested in discussion and learning, and more interested in disproving the other side and going off on, often, angry and hateful rants. It became more about being on side A and vehemently against side B (or vice versa) than it was sharing ideas. When it became more and more extreme, the moderate posters (not all, but a good amount) started realizing that they were talking to brick walls and just got frustrated and left. Then it became mostly extremists going back and forth with nothing coming from it. It isn't and wasn't 100% that, but I think that's how it mostly became, with a small amount of good discussion sprinkled in, but not nearly enough.

TLDR: Not enough Hef.

Yeah, I agree.  If only The Terminator would come back...

If only Bosk had similar powers over America.

I do.  I just use extreme caution in exercising it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2017, 07:22:33 PM »
Pleeeease reopen P/R. Not being able to discuss the events of the last twelve hours is killing me.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2017, 07:55:53 PM »
I feel like one major problem with PR is the desertion of a lot of the more moderate posters. It seems we used to have a whole lot of level headed people on both sides of the spectrum who could discuss, debate and openly learn from each other and it was great. Then more extreme posters from both sides came in, who were less interested in discussion and learning, and more interested in disproving the other side and going off on, often, angry and hateful rants. It became more about being on side A and vehemently against side B (or vice versa) than it was sharing ideas. When it became more and more extreme, the moderate posters (not all, but a good amount) started realizing that they were talking to brick walls and just got frustrated and left. Then it became mostly extremists going back and forth with nothing coming from it. It isn't and wasn't 100% that, but I think that's how it mostly became, with a small amount of good discussion sprinkled in, but not nearly enough.

TLDR: Not enough Hef.

Yeah, I agree.  If only The Terminator would come back...

I believe he prefers to be called the former Governator these days.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2017, 07:36:11 AM »
Pleeeease reopen P/R. Not being able to discuss the events of the last twelve hours is killing me.

:lol oh man epic trolling

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Head Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • First Follower
    • Lady Obscure Music Magazine
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2017, 07:58:38 AM »

Just cane in to post this... Could be some epic reading
Quote from: nightmare_cinema
So should lonestar and I have babies or something now, is that how this works?
Dang, you're easily the coolest fogey I know of

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2017, 08:19:18 AM »
For what it's worth (which I don't think is very much), I used to post in P/R occasionally, but eventually stopped even reading that board because it seemed like there was a lack of good will from some frequent flyers. I recall that someone posted something along the lines of, "I don't have time to go into much detail, and it's obviously way more complicated than this, but the main reason I am voting for [X] is because of [short, harmless statement]", and then he got attacked from like three different angles. :lol

Maybe the solution is to have everyone re-agree to a style of good will conversation and then just start banning anyone who strays from it. That's probably impossible to enforce well in practice, though. :sadpanda:
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline El Barto

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
For what it's worth (which I don't think is very much), I used to post in P/R occasionally, but eventually stopped even reading that board because it seemed like there was a lack of good will from some frequent flyers. I recall that someone posted something along the lines of, "I don't have time to go into much detail, and it's obviously way more complicated than this, but the main reason I am voting for [X] is because of [short, harmless statement]", and then he got attacked from like three different angles. :lol

Maybe the solution is to have everyone re-agree to a style of good will conversation and then just start banning anyone who strays from it. That's probably impossible to enforce well in practice, though. :sadpanda:
To the extent that I even think there was a problem, it was mainly that the election thread became kind of a chat thread. Not so great for discourse, though I think we managed alright. What bugs me is that there are 300 other threads on a wide variety of subjects which were a very different breed of animal. I avoided the election thread at time myself, though I appreciated very much the fact that it was happening, and don't really care one way or another about it at the moment, but not being able to discuss other social issues annoys the shit out of me.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
    • The Home of cramx3
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2017, 09:12:43 AM »

To the extent that I even think there was a problem, it was mainly that the election thread became kind of a chat thread. Not so great for discourse, though I think we managed alright. What bugs me is that there are 300 other threads on a wide variety of subjects which were a very different breed of animal. I avoided the election thread at time myself, though I appreciated very much the fact that it was happening, and don't really care one way or another about it at the moment, but not being able to discuss other social issues annoys the shit out of me.

Agreed. I always kind of thought the election thread should have been ended after the election.  Not that there wasn't things to discuss, there clearly was plenty, but it was never broken out to separate threads which lead the election thread to turn into a clusterfuck of just political talk.