Author Topic: Meaning of line "Feel like blowing my cover"  (Read 3460 times)

Offline Sixtease

Meaning of line "Feel like blowing my cover"
« on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:09 AM »
Hey mates,

I find myself marveling at the old jewels of DT's work. What a genius of a lyricist KM is! I realize though that I don't understand what's meant by the line "Feel like blowing my cover" in 6:00.

Anyone feels like shedding some light on my poor outlander's understanding?

Thanks. \m/

Online MirrorMask

Re: Meaning of line "Feel like blowing my cover"
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »
I'm not a native speaker but I assume that to blow one's cover means to reveal one's true identity.

Clark Kent opening up his shirt to reveal the Superman outfit in front of everyone would be blowing his cover in doing so.

In the contest of the song, the disillusioned and disgruntled protagonist would essentially (and voluntarily) let everyone know how he truly feels.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 09:29:48 AM »
That makes sense! Thanks a lot for sharing the knowledge

Offline Evai

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:48 AM »
In the 90's it was common to refer to your male significant other as your 'cover'. I hope this helped :)
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline Sixtease

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 09:43:50 AM »
In the 90's it was common to refer to your male significant other as your 'cover'. I hope this helped :)

:-D You are a bad person! Now every time I hear that line, I'll be haunted by an image of KM commiting sodomy

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
Blowing is not that, it's using the mouth  ;)
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 10:41:31 AM »
I always thought 6:00 was Kevin's way of letting his frustrations and emotions towards the band out. If you look at what happened after he recorded the album (he quit) and read these lyrics, it all makes sense, imo.

In the context of the song, I would say he's refering to, as MirrorMask also said, revealing his true feelings to the rest of the guys, as opposed to pretending he's still interested in the work they're doing.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 10:45:46 AM »
It's Spiderman feeling like revealing his true identity to Mary Jane.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 10:46:16 AM »

I was never really comfortable asking about the lyrics of Learning to Live.    My interpretation was that it was a person dealing with his sexuality and / or   finding out they were HIV positive.        This "blow my cover"  thread makes sense to me in that context.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 11:31:21 AM »
I think it's pretty confirmed that Learning to Live indeed deals with the HIV issue.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional

Offline Evai

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 01:04:34 PM »
Ooh, that explains it. I was wondering how he managed to present this song to them without them replying "So you're leaving then?"
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 03:54:09 AM »
Oh god... :rollin
Ooh, that explains it. I was wondering how he managed to present this song to them without them replying "So you're leaving then?"
I bet they thought it was a fictional story about a dude giving up his job/safe lifestyle/whatever and didn't grasp the real meaning until Kevin had actually left. If you look at the quote from James in the link Noxon posted, this is what he said:
Lyrically it’s about a guy who finds himself in a situation he doesn’t want to be in. He wants to move on, and if that involves giving everything up, he’s willing to do so…

If you don’t take life by the reins and chase after something you both love and need, then things will pass you by. The opening line is: “6:00 on a Christmas morning”, and it means, are you getting up for the right reasons, is it for Christmas or is it for work?
As for the "blowing my cover" line, I think it's related to "The pain inside coming outside": the protagonist can no longer hold back and disguise his feelings.

• No Day But Today
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2017, 11:16:21 AM »

I'm not sure that the  "Oh God"  comment was supposed to mean,   but it would make more sense if Your "cover" was a fake significant other of the opposite sex rather than your actual significant other.

In the 90's I went to a college with a huge theater department  (I was a music major) and was also often the only straight guy in local opera / theater performances. I don't remember  a single time a guy referred to his male significant other as his "cover"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2017, 12:01:57 PM »
I'm not sure that the  "Oh God"  comment was supposed to mean
Just that the meaning of that line suddenly took a different turn. :lol

Online Mladen

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2017, 12:03:18 PM »
Whoa! That explanation Noxon posted is fantastic, never realized it before.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2017, 02:21:10 AM »

this is fantastic
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2017, 02:41:19 AM »
Blowing your cover generally means revealing an identity (For instance, if a cop who is under cover reveals that they are a cop, they have blown their cover). It would make sense in that the person in the song feels like breaking out and showing the world who he actually is, though he may never do it.

The song is about someone getting up to do a job that he doesn't enjoy and watching his true desires get further and further out of reach; "But it's too late for me now" "But it's too late for me.... now". But that also ties in to a deeper major theme on Awake, regarding the notion of taking control of where you want to go and who you want to be rather than just riding the current, or getting caught in the cycle of trying to please everyone else. That can apply to creating music, finding companionship, or anything else. The "sound" in 6:00 seems to be a calling he has in his head to pursue a dream.

Offline Pragmaticcircus

• Classical Composer, Avant prog guitarist , musical artist, music fan, producer and much more....
  • The man wants his coffee ☕
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2017, 03:39:33 AM »

Ah yes I remember that Awake theory  :rollin
"The thing that kills me is all these bands that use huge words in their lyrics, 'I'm swimming in a vortex of apathy.' I'm like, 'What?' I don't walk up to a friend and go 'That's a stylin' looking vortex of apathy you've got there pal. I was swimming up a river of deceit myself."
- Devin Townsend
"poop" - Ziltoid
Prog for life, all hail metal, I'm very Avant Garde,  God give me back my razor, and all that shit!

• No Day But Today
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2017, 06:19:09 AM »
Blowing your cover generally means revealing an identity (For instance, if a cop who is under cover reveals that they are a cop, they have blown their cover).

I feel confident in saying that just about everyone on this forum knew what "blow my cover" meant literally!    The question was what it meant in the context of the song.  Several interesting hypotheses have been proffered, all of which are plausible (though I am bit skeptical on the Spider Man theory!).   Until KM himself clarifies it's certainly fun to speculate.

At least it has been more civil than my hypothesis on the real meaning of Looking Glass!   :-)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2017, 08:13:31 AM »

Ah yes I remember that Awake theory  :rollin
What do you mean, "theory"?

It's a fact.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2017, 01:18:26 PM »
Whoa! That explanation Noxon posted is fantastic, never realized it before.

Thanks, thats why the faq exists. It's actually survived for over 20 years now! Too bad people aren't interested in contributing it to keep it up to date with more current material ;)