Author Topic: Do you prefer the 'Falling...' album, or 'Scenes...pt.2'?  (Read 4823 times)

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Do you prefer the 'Falling...' album, or 'Scenes...pt.2'?
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »
Q1. Which of the following do you believe best describes your Dream Theater fanship (Please pick one)?
A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan
E)   Not yet a Fan/Just giving Dream Theater a chance
F)   Not a fan, but like other Prog Rock
G)   Not a fan, and don’t like Prog Rock

Answer: A

Q2. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Falling Into Infinity’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer: I heard the five songs played live before the album came out and then bought FII the day it came out (Sept 23, 1997).

Q3. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer: I bought it the day it came out (Oct 26 1999).

Q4. How many Dream Theater studio albums have you listened to? How many can you name (without checking through your music collection or the internet)?

Answer: I have listened to every song they've ever written and released. Plus some others they haven't officially released. I could name all of them including the live releases plus the dates of release. You can call me an super fan.  ;)

Q5. Where would you rank ‘Falling Into Infinity’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer: 12th (Only WDADU is lower)

Q6. Where would you rank ‘…Scenes from a Memory’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer: 3rd

Q7. Which forum have you used to find and answer this questionnaire?

Answer:

Q7. How long have you been a member of this forum?

Answer: This time around, a couple of years. But I was a member years ago under a different name. And a member of the DT.net forum since before Metropolis 2 came out.

Q8. How and When did you discover Dream Theater’s music? (i.e. In which year did you first hear their music, and which song/album was it?)

Answer: 1992. Pull Me Under was on the radio.

Q9. In no more than 50 words, what do you think it takes for a musician or band to practice good Songwriting?

Answer: As a band, there needs to be an openness and willingness to work together and understand compromise. As a solo artist, it's the ability to focus and be patient enough to not force something that isn't there. Fifty words aren't really enough to answer this properly.

Q10a. Do you think that a musician or band working with external songwriters and producers is a bad thing?
A) Yes
B) No

Answer: It's not that simple.

Q10b. Why? (No more than 50 words)

Answer: Saying it's good or bad is irrelevant. What works for one musician might not work for another. Dream Theater using an outside songwriter ultimately had a positive effect though. It pushed the band to such a place of desperation that it spawned the creative genius that inspired Metropolis 2 and brought them back to find the reasons they started making music in the first place.

Q11a. Were you aware that Dream Theater are a band that have worked with songwriters and producers in the past?
A) Yes
B) No

Q12. Can you give an example of a ‘bad’ Dream Theater song?
A) Yes
B) No

Q12b. In no more than 50 words, which song was it, and why did you choose it? Or, conversely, in no more than 50 words, why do you think you’ve not heard a ‘bad’ song from Dream Theater yet/what is it about their repertoire that you consistently enjoy?

Answer: You Not Me. The lyrics were co-written by an outside songwriter. It was attempt for the band to increase popularity by appealing to a different group of people.

Q13a. Do you have an affinity for a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that released material in the 1990’s?

Answer: Yes

Q13b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you like about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Answer: There are many prog bands from the 90s that appealed to me for a multitude of reasons - melodies, technical proficiency, experimentation.

Q14a. Is there a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that you dislike?

Answer: None come to mind.

Q14b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you dislike about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Answer:

Q15. Which genres of music would you say you find yourself listening to most of the time (please give two)?

Answer: progressive rock and classical

Offline Lethean

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 05:59:53 PM »

Dream Theater Questionnaire:

Q1. Which of the following do you believe best describes your Dream Theater fanship (Please pick one)?
A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: A and C? :)

Q2. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Falling Into Infinity’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer: 2002

Q3. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer: 2002

Q4. How many Dream Theater studio albums have you listened to? How many can you name (without checking through your music collection or the internet)?

Answer: All of them, and I can name them all w/out checking

Q5. Where would you rank ‘Falling Into Infinity’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer: It constantly changes.  Maybe today at #9

Q6. Where would you rank ‘…Scenes from a Memory’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer: It also changes between 1-3; today it's at 1 :)

Answer: dtf

Answer: Only about a month

Q8. How and When did you discover Dream Theater’s music? (i.e. In which year did you first hear their music, and which song/album was it?)

Answer: 2002; had heard of them for a long time and finally decided to check them out

Q9. In no more than 50 words, what do you think it takes for a musician or band to practice good Songwriting?

Answer: I'm not a musician, but I would say they should play and lot and learn a lot - have a lot of tools in their kit, and then write what moves them

Q10a. Do you think that a musician or band working with external songwriters and producers is a bad thing?
A) Yes
B) No

Answer: No - with the caveat that it shouldn't be forced on the band - it should be their choice. 

Answer: I think it's bad in the case of FII (even though I like the album) where the band is forced into it; however, if wants an external ear or even collaboration on writing from someone they respect, it's fine.

Q11a. Were you aware that Dream Theater are a band that have worked with songwriters and producers in the past?
A) Yes
B) No

Answer: A - yes

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: No.

Q12b. In no more than 50 words, which song was it, and why did you choose it? Or, conversely, in no more than 50 words, why do you think you’ve not heard a ‘bad’ song from Dream Theater yet/what is it about their repertoire that you consistently enjoy?

Answer:   There are songs I don't completely like or may not always be in the mood for, but wouldn't go so far as to call them "bad."  When listening to a full album, I almost never skip a DT track.  What I like about them - melodies, playing, vocals, usually lyrics. :)

Q13a. Do you have an affinity for a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that released material in the 1990’s?

Answer: Yes, plenty.  Rush, Arcturus, Fates Warning, Vanden Plas, Symphony X, Threshold, Fates Warning, and probably others

Q13b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you like about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Answer: if you want me to pick one - Rush. I like the same things about them as I like about DT - great song-writing, great musicianship, spirit of experimentation with their music, great lyrics

Q14a. Is there a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that you dislike?

Answer: Yes, Pain of Salvation

Q14b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you dislike about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Answer: I don't like the vocals or most of the songs

Q15. Which genres of music would you say you find yourself listening to most of the time (please give two)?

Answer: progressive metal, progressive rock, classical, hard rock

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 06:44:05 AM »

13 a/b Plenty. Appreciation of music is subjective and some of these bands make music I enjoy.

14 a/b Never cared much for Opeth. Again, simply my subjective likes and dislikes.

El Barto; of course, these things Are subjective. the reason for the questionnaire is to ask what each answerer's subjective ideals are, and to gather an idea of what aesthetics are shared by the DT Fan community, and which are not :)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2017, 11:42:03 AM »

Answer: Those are actually 2 different things. External songwriters, generally I would say yes. Outside producers, generally I would say no.

Setlist Scotty; I'm certainly aware that these are two different things. The general question concerns wether you feel that it's a bad thing for a band to work with songwriters AND producers. Therefore, I'll take your answer to be a 'yes' if your opinion is that it is bad for a band to use at least one of these things...?

DTresearcher
Honestly, it's not so cut and dry. As others have commented, it really depends on the situation, and certainly the influence that these individuals have. I'll just put it this way: if the contributions are very minor, it's probably not a bad thing (in most cases), but if the contributions are major or if they are doing all the songwriting themselves (and not the band), then this is a bad thing in my eyes.

That's why I said songwriters and producers are two different things. For the most part, I imagine that songwriters have a heavy hand in influencing/affecting the songs, whereas the producers do not, which is why I feel it's important to differentiate between the two.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 08:46:51 AM »

A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: A.  Became a fan during the summer of 1992.

Answer: 1997.  It came out very close to my birthday.

Answer: I believe I picked it up on release day.

Answer: All of them.  All of them.

Answer:  It’s in my top five, and gets better with each subsequent album they release.

Answer:  When it came out, it was in my top 3 after Awake and Images and Words, but it hasn’t aged all that well with me.  Maybe middle of the pack now.

Answer: dreamtheaterforums.org

Answer: Maybe a year or so?

Answer: I became aware of DT thanks to Fates Warning, reading Kevin Moore’s name in the credits on Perfect Symmetry and James Labrie’s name in the credits on Parallels.  When I say they had an album out, I bought it.  By the time Metropolis and UAGM were finished playing, I was hooked!

Answer: Practice.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: In most instances, no.

Answer: See George Martin and the Beatles for when it can be good.  See Yes’ Union when it can go horribly awry.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Yes.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Yes.

Answer: A Nightmare to Remember.  When I first heard Portnoy’s Cookie Monster vocals, I was real close to ejecting the CD and throwing out of my car window.  Plus, I think the song is bogged down by too much repetition of riffs and sections.

Answer: Yes.  Marillion, Porcupine Tree, Fates Warning, Queensryche (at least Promised Land), King Crimson, and more.

Answer:  The balance of strong musicianship and great songwriting.

Answer: Yes. Symphony X.

Answer: I’m lactose intolerant.

Answer: Lately, jazz and progressive rock/metal.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »
I'm probably the only one that ranks FII above Scenes, right? I haven't met anybody else who agrees with me there.

Scorpion; If you wouldn't mind, come chat with me about what it is you like on FII.
1st hand accounts are good for the essay (due in soon), especially in defence of an album that has been 'slated' so regularly.

Equally, if anyone disliked SFaM, which I'm aware would be an unpopular opinion to voice, lets talk about it if you can.

DTR.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2017, 01:44:47 PM »
A)   Longtime Fan

Answer: Since 1992.

Answer: The day it was released in ’97.

Answer:When The day it was released in ’99.

Answer:All of them.

Answer: Fourth or Fifth among Portnoy-era albums.

Answer: Fourth or Fifth among Portnoy-era albums.

Answer: DTForums.org

Answer: Since the change from DT.net

Answer: Fall 1992 – “Pull Me Under” video on Headbanger’s Ball

Answer: Write and Practice. Write and Practice. Write and Practice.

B) No

Answer: Some bands out there can’t distance themselves from their own music and need an outside, objective ear.

A) Yes

A) Yes

Answer: Prophets of War

Answer: The album as a whole doesn’t do much for me.  I hate Mike’s high hat use in the song (disco feel in parts) and James’ falsetto parts.

Answer:Rush

Answer:It’s Rush.  What’s not too like?!?

Answer:Porcupine Tree

Answer:I’ve never been able to get into any of Wilson’s music.

Answer: Metal and Classic Rock

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 10:13:33 AM by cfmoran13 »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2017, 02:12:40 PM »
I'm probably the only one that ranks FII above Scenes, right? I haven't met anybody else who agrees with me there.

You're not the only one.  While I recognize what SFAM did for the band, I'd much rather listen to FII.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline stringripper

« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 04:06:16 AM »

A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan
E)   Not yet a Fan/Just giving Dream Theater a chance
F)   Not a fan, but like other Prog Rock
G)   Not a fan, and don’t like Prog Rock

Answer: A (if 7 or 8 years, give or take counts)

Answer: 2011 (a rough guess – not too sure)

Answer: 2011 (would be the same time as above, but again I’m not 100%)

Answer: All of them
Falling into infinity
Metropolis pt. 2 scenes from a memory
Train of thought
Dream theater
Black clouds and silver linings
Images and words
The astonishing
Octavarium
A dramatic turn of events
Six degrees of inner turbulence

Answer: 8th (out of the 10 I remembered)

Answer: 2nd (out of the 10 I remembered)

Answer: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/

Answer: less than 30 days

Answer: During bass guitar lessons I learnt “Under a Glass Moon” and therefore listened to Images and words as the first album with UaGM the first song. This was (as a rough guess without exact rememberance) in 2008 or 2009 as I do remember the release of black clouds and silver linings in 2009.

Answer: I believe you need dedication, collaboration and hard work. i.e. hard work and dedication means you put in effort you will get better results. And via collaboration, you’re going to get all of the good contributions from the songwriting members to make things the best they can be.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: B

Answer: It depends on whether it feels right for that musician or band. If it is right, then they can benefit from the knowledge and experience of those external songwriters/producers to improve the music they create - although I believe the core creation should always remain with the original artist

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Not a song exactly. I was severely disappointed in the astonishing album as a whole. The concept album was interesting but I felt like too much emphasis was placed on making the concept and not the music – there are good songs like “A New Beginning” however, listening to the whole album is tedious at best which is very much different from listening to “…Scenes From a Memory”, another concept album and also one of my favourites.

(75 words not 50, sorry)

Answer: The bands “Tool” and “Symphony X” are both bands that I really enjoy.

Answer: Both have brilliant bassists which is how I found “Symphony X”. However, what draws me to Tool is the intelligence and brilliance in their music. For example, the song Lateralus features vocals that in each line contain a number of syllables following the Fibonacci sequence, and at another point, the bass and drums play in different time signatures that are designed to come back into sync with each other after a certain number of bars.

Answer: No

Answer:

Answer: Rock and Metal

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2017, 06:39:11 PM »
A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: As bad as it sounds, C..

*Lil advice: in this question you should allow us to pick at least two answers (it seems that many are longtime and hardcore fans as well..

Answer: 2008..

*I really started listening DT in that year, before (2006 probably) it wasn't more than just "hearing" it, although I see that's the way you enunciated it..

Answer: (same) 2008..

Answer: All of them / all of them..

Answer: Last position.. :-\

Answer: 8/13..

Answer: DTF..

Answer: Since 2013..

Answer: I heard them for the first time in 2006, when my brother played them out loud.. But it wasn't until 2008 that I really started listening to them..

Answer: Let me answer you from a particular perspective, since I'm in a band myself (you can check the links in my firm to know it a bit).. In our case it took us a lot of time (several years) and patience to adquire the knowing and practice we have now: mainly to the guitar player and me, who are the main composers..

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: "Other"..

Answer: You might wanna add some extra choices when you make a closed question like this.. Yeah, it depends on: the band, the external songwriters and the external producers, that are, for starters, at least three elements you'd have to consider before start thinking if it's a bad thing or not..

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: A..

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: A..

Answer: Wait for Sleep.. Besides one good melody, song is boring and doesn't do anything for me / In few words, I'd say I enjoy it so much because they manage to keep the excellence in most of their songs while constantly changing the scales, mood and time signatures of the songs..

Answer: Yes, Symphony X..

Answer: What I like are actually, like most of the bands I like, a lot of things.. To say only the most importants: the power it transmites to you while listening it, the amazing and strange melodies, the heavy riffs combined with the keyboard parts, the Romeo's composing, the voice of Russell Allen, etc..

Answer: Yes, several..

Answer: I dislike most of prog rock artists; I'd say the main reason is because I don't find that "power" I referred to before.. On the other hand, I dislike a particular genre of the prog metal scene: the Death Metal, mainly because of the screaming vocals..

Answer: Metal and progressive metal..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2017, 05:33:43 AM »
Thanks all,
I've submitted my paper on the Fan reception of these two albums, and appreciate the help you've given me.

DTR.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2017, 08:25:11 AM »
Thanks all,
I've submitted my paper on the Fan reception of these two albums, and appreciate the help you've given me.

DTR.
Any chance of you posting your paper once it's all said and done? It would be interesting to see what conclusions you ultimately came to. Also, how many other websites/forums did you post your questionnaire to?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2017, 05:18:51 AM »

Any chance of you posting your paper once it's all said and done? It would be interesting to see what conclusions you ultimately came to. Also, how many other websites/forums did you post your questionnaire to?

Sure thing, I'll look into it! There's the possibility of getting published in the student academic innovation journal, however (I've been published before, ISSN 2399-8075), so I'll have to check copyright by the university's marketing dept.

I've written an essay on Post-Modernity and the lyrics of 6DoiT also (about a year ago) and am more than happy to receive critique from the DT Forum members, especially any academics who trawl through here!

DTR

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2017, 09:29:52 AM »
A) Longtime fan, although I pretty much lost interest after ADToE.

Around 2002-2004.

Around 2002-2004.

I have listened to all of them and I can name all, including the year of release.

5th place.

3rd place.

A year or so.

2001 I think, Live Scenes. I discovered it through a friend.

The wish to create music, creativity, inspiration. "Good songwriting" is relative though.

It depends. It surely is better if you and your band write the songs yourselves. As for production, you have to have experience to make good decisions. I don't think an external producer will mess up, depends how much participation he has.

Yes.

Yes. Most of "The Astonishing" or "DT12". Pick whatever.

Q12b. In no more than 50 words, which song was it, and why did you choose it? Or, conversely, in no more than 50 words, why do you think you’ve not heard a ‘bad’ song from Dream Theater yet/what is it about their repertoire that you consistently enjoy?I chose more than one song. I could have choosen a song from an earlier album, but I really don't like the new albums DT put out. I don't know why, I just don't like it.

Q13a. Do you have an affinity for a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that released material in the 1990’s?Yes. Universal Totem Orchestra, Present, Pan.Thy.Monium, Thought Industry, Strapping Young Lad, Porcupine Tree, Opeth, Anathema, Mr. Bungle, Cardiacs, Swans, King's X, NeBeLNeST, Tipographica, Miriodor, Höyry-Kone, Pekka Pohjola, Devin Townsend, After Crying, U Totem, Camel, LTE, Pär Lindh Project, Symphony X, Edge Of Sanity, Neurosis, Pain Of Salvation,  French TV, Devil Doll, Bozzio, Levin, Stevens, Anekdoten, Änglagård, etc.

Yes, many.

Progressive Rock and Heavy Metal.