Author Topic: Do you prefer the 'Falling...' album, or 'Scenes...pt.2'?  (Read 4826 times)

Offline DTresearcher

Do you prefer the 'Falling...' album, or 'Scenes...pt.2'?
« on: January 02, 2017, 05:03:30 AM »
Hello DT forum!

I'm attempting to compile some research on fan reception to two of Dream Theater's albums: 'Falling into Infinity' and 'Scenes from a Memory'. This is for part of a research paper that I'll be presenting to my lecturers at university, in relation to Popular Music and Sociological study.
As such, I've made a questionnaire that I'd really appreciate any fans (die-hard or casual) filling out if they have the time, so long as they have listened to at least these two DT albums.

So, If you'd like to give your answers by responding to this post, or if you'd like to PM me a response, that'd be great!

Dream Theater Questionnaire:

Q1. Which of the following do you believe best describes your Dream Theater fanship (Please pick one)?
A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan
E)   Not yet a Fan/Just giving Dream Theater a chance
F)   Not a fan, but like other Prog Rock
G)   Not a fan, and don’t like Prog Rock

Answer:

Q2. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Falling Into Infinity’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer:

Q3. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer:

Q4. How many Dream Theater studio albums have you listened to? How many can you name (without checking through your music collection or the internet)?

Answer:

Q5. Where would you rank ‘Falling Into Infinity’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer:

Q6. Where would you rank ‘…Scenes from a Memory’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer:

Q7. Which forum have you used to find and answer this questionnaire?

Answer:

Q7. How long have you been a member of this forum?

Answer:

Q8. How and When did you discover Dream Theater’s music? (i.e. In which year did you first hear their music, and which song/album was it?)

Answer:

Q9. In no more than 50 words, what do you think it takes for a musician or band to practice good Songwriting?

Answer:

Q10a. Do you think that a musician or band working with external songwriters and producers is a bad thing?
A) Yes
B) No

Answer:

Q10b. Why? (No more than 50 words)

Answer:

Q11a. Were you aware that Dream Theater are a band that have worked with songwriters and producers in the past?
A) Yes
B) No

Answer:

Q12. Can you give an example of a ‘bad’ Dream Theater song?
A) Yes
B) No

Answer:

Q12b. In no more than 50 words, which song was it, and why did you choose it? Or, conversely, in no more than 50 words, why do you think you’ve not heard a ‘bad’ song from Dream Theater yet/what is it about their repertoire that you consistently enjoy?

Answer:

Q13a. Do you have an affinity for a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that released material in the 1990’s?

Answer:

Q13b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you like about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Answer:

Q14a. Is there a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that you dislike?

Answer:

Q14b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you dislike about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Answer:

Q15. Which genres of music would you say you find yourself listening to most of the time (please give two)?

Answer:

---

Thats all!

Thanks,
DTresearcher  :metal

Offline TheCountOfNYC

Re: Do you prefer the 'Falling...' album, or 'Scenes...pt.2'?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2017, 05:34:52 AM »

Q1. Which of the following do you believe best describes your Dream Theater fanship (Please pick one)?

A)   Longtime Fan (Well since 2008 but it's the closest to my level of fandom)
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan
E)   Not yet a Fan/Just giving Dream Theater a chance
F)   Not a fan, but like other Prog Rock
G)   Not a fan, and don’t like Prog Rock

Q2. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Falling Into Infinity’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer: 2012

Q3. When did you first hear the studio album ‘Metropolis Pt.2: Scenes From a Memory’? Even if you can only remember which year it was.

Answer: 2011

Q4. How many Dream Theater studio albums have you listened to? How many can you name (without checking through your music collection or the internet)?

Answer: All of them

Q5. Where would you rank ‘Falling Into Infinity’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer: Last

Q6. Where would you rank ‘…Scenes from a Memory’ (in best-to-worst order) in your knowing list of Dream Theater studio albums?

Answer: First

Answer: DreamTheaterForums

Answer: Two years

Q8. How and When did you discover Dream Theater’s music? (i.e. In which year did you first hear their music, and which song/album was it?)

Answer: I first heard Dream Theater in 2008 when I first played Panic Attack in Rock Band 2.

Q9. In no more than 50 words, what do you think it takes for a musician or band to practice good Songwriting?

Answer: It takes being open minded to any ideas that may improve the song. Confining your music to one style will limit what you can do and may lead to uninteresting music.

Q10a. Do you think that a musician or band working with external songwriters and producers is a bad thing?

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: If the artist feels that collaborating with an outside songwriter will enhance their music, then it's something that they absolutely should try.

Q11a. Were you aware that Dream Theater are a band that have worked with songwriters and producers in the past?

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Q12b. In no more than 50 words, which song was it, and why did you choose it? Or, conversely, in no more than 50 words, why do you think you’ve not heard a ‘bad’ song from Dream Theater yet/what is it about their repertoire that you consistently enjoy?

Answer: N/A

Q13a. Do you have an affinity for a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that released material in the 1990’s?

Answer: No

Q13b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you like about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Q14a. Is there a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that you dislike?

Q14b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you dislike about this Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Q15. Which genres of music would you say you find yourself listening to most of the time (please give two)?

Answer: Heavy Metal and Progressive Rock/Metal.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2017, 05:54:00 AM »
A)   Longtime Fan

Answer: Ironically, before I actually became a fan. It was the new album by them at the time, in 1997, and some friends were into DT and I happened to listen to it, but it was a very casual thing. Only when I became fan in 1999 I went back to it.

Answer: In 1999. On release day. I had become a fan in the months before, I still had no internet at home and I went to the store knowing ONLY that "the new DT album" was out on that day. I discovered right then in the store that it was Metropolis pt 2 and not a second earlier.

Answer: All the albums up until then.

Answer: On the bottom, I don't hate it but it's one of my very least favorites.

Answer: The absolute and undisputed best.

Answer: DT.org

Answer: One year or slightly more. I registered in the build-up to the release of The Astonishing.

Answer: Through my cousin who was into them, I'm old enough to have lived in the cassettes era so I had mix tapes from him with DT songs stuck at the end to fill up the time.

Answer: The keyword is already in the question: Practice. Jam, jam, jam, rehearse, rehearse, rehearse, and listen with a critical ear to what other bands are doing, to figure out their "tricks".

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: No,

Answer: It helps to keep the sound fresh, especially when using an external producer. Depending on the kind of band, using external songwriters may be an additional help.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Yes

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: The Dark Eternal Night from Systematic Chaos. Heavy for the sake of being heavy, a bloated and improvised solo section, and cheesy lyrics. All the contrary of what I look for in DT (Well, I look for heaviness, just not that kind)

Answer:

Answer:

Answer: Heavy / folk metal
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 05:57:19 AM »
A)   Longtime Fane
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: A), since 2011 or so.

Answer: 2011

Answer: #3

Answer: #6

Answer: DreamTheaterForums.org

Answer: Since 2012

Answer: Late 2011, I played In the Name of God on a Guitar-Hero-clone for PC.

Answer: Taking the necessary time, and willingness to rework their material when they are not satisfied with it.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: No.

Answer: If the band feels this step to be necessary, then I doubt that the results would be better without an outside producer/writer.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Yes.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Status Seeker. I think it doesn't work with Dominici's vocals at all, and it's just not interesting throughout, even if I liked the vocals.

Answer: Fates Warning.

Answer: I like the melancholy they inject into their music, and the fact that they never get lost in instrumental craziness, but always focus on the songs.

Answer: Dislike would be too harsh a term, but both The Flower Kings and anything that involves Neal Morse I find rather boring.

Answer: See above.

Progressive metal, avante-garde/experimental metal.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 07:36:59 AM »
A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: A) Longtime Fan

Answer: The day it was released in 1997.

Answer: The day it was released in 1999.

Answer: All of them (in both cases).

Answer: Probably 6th.

Answer: 3rd.

Answer: DTF.org

Answer: Since its inception.

Answer: Heard Pull Me Under on the radio back in 1993.

Answer: Practice, work, practice, work and more practice and work.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Because outsiders can often help.

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Constant Motion - chose it because of its poor vocal melodies.

Answer: The Flower Kings

Answer: Songwriting, style, overall vibe.

Answer: Pain of Salvation

Answer: their sound and style doesn't appeal to me.

Answer: Prog rock, classic rock.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 07:38:59 AM »
Hello DT forum!

I'm attempting to compile some research on fan reception to two of Dream Theater's albums: 'Falling into Infinity' and 'Scenes from a Memory'. This is for part of a research paper that I'll be presenting to my lecturers at university, in relation to Popular Music and Sociological study.
As such, I've made a questionnaire that I'd really appreciate any fans (die-hard or casual) filling out if they have the time, so long as they have listened to at least these two DT albums.

So, If you'd like to give your answers by responding to this post, or if you'd like to PM me a response, that'd be great!

A)   Longtime Fan

C)   Hardcore Fan

Can't I be both? If not, A

The day it came out.

The day it came out.

All of them

Last

Second

DTF

12 years, but I first joined the old board when SFAM came out. Posted for about 6 months, and then didn't rejoin until 8V came out.

June 8, 1992. Saw DT (who I didn't know) open for Iron Maiden at The Ritz in NYC. I was blown away. I believe they opened with PMU.

I think a song has to climax and have a tidy ending.

B) No

Nothing wrong with an outside voice.

A) Yes

A) Yes

You Not Me...The song doesn't go anywhere and there's nothing musically interesting about it.

Yes

Challenging music, songs that make me bob my head, and good vocals.

Yes

Anything with growlie vocals. Also, I like progressive music on the heavy side. Not a fan of ambient progressive music.

Hard Rock
Heavy Metal

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 07:50:21 AM »

A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: Longtime fan (since 1993)

Answer: 1997

Answer: 1999

Answer: All

Answer: 6th

Answer: 5th

Answer: since the beginning

Answer: 1993, LatM

Answer: listen to music a lot, be open, practise.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: it can help a band branch things out and be more objective towards their music.

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: yes

Answer: The Dark Eternal Night : hate the vocal effects, but the song itself is quite ridiculous, beginning with its topic. Does nothing for me because I don't find the music very attractive either.

Answer: Fates Warning

Answer: Ray Alder's vocals, the melodies and Mark Zonder.

Answer:

Answer:

Prog metal, metal
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 07:57:35 AM »

Answer:

Prog metal, metal

Bert, I didn't have you pegged as that old, nor a metal fan. Can't say I remember you posting in the Hard Rock Classic Metal thread.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:05:24 AM »
A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: A

Answer: 1997 upon release.

Answer: 1999 upon release.

Answer: All of them.

Answer : 7th

Answer: 4th

Answer: dtf.org

Answer: Joined May 20th, 2007

Answer: Fall/Autumn 1992. Pull Me Under/Images and Words.

Answer: There's no such thing as practicing good song writing. Good song writing is a product of imagination and inspiration.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: B. Depending on the circumstances.

Answer: A fresh perspective on song structure can be a positive.

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Just Let Me Breathe. I like the lyrics of the song, but musically it does nothing for me. The song feels like a forced "rocker" that was placed on the album to break up the flow of the album.

Answer: Fates Warning. Brilliant vocal melodies, lyrics and interesting music. They can be progressive without trying to wow the listener with virtuosity.

Answer: ELP

Answer: They were/are very talented musicians, but I find their song writing to be boring and cheesy.

Answer: Progressive and traditional hard rock/metal.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 10:37:08 AM »

Answer:

Prog metal, metal

Bert, I didn't have you pegged as that old, nor a metal fan. Can't say I remember you posting in the Hard Rock Classic Metal thread.

Well, first, I'm an old fart (46 this year)  ;D. Besides, I mostly post in the DT forum (my favorite band), then the GMD subforum and then the GD one. I never post in the metal thread. My metal tastes have been stuck somewhere in the 80s-90s, with a few exception for "modern" metal bands as Darkane.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2017, 10:51:06 AM »
My metal tastes have been stuck somewhere in the 80s-90s, 

That describes everyone in the thread! Check it out. Would love to have your input.

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2017, 11:20:14 AM »

A)   Longtime (?) Fan
Answer:  2003

Answer:  2007, a few days after DT's concert in Baltimore

Answer:  July 2005.  It was on the shelf with the new 'Octavarium' CD, so I grabbed them both.

Answer:  All (plus all of the live cds, dvds, and a few bootlegs)

Answer:  Above WDADU, Train of Thought, Systematic Chaos, and Black Clouds (though a couple of FII songs are deleted on my version)

Answer:  Top four, with 'Six Degrees', 'Octavarium', and 'Images & Words'.

Answer:  DTF

Answer:  Oct 2015 after a long time on dt.net

Answer:  Went to see Queensryche in 2003.  Did not know it was a co-headliner tour, and knew absolutely nothing about the last act of the evening.  Purchased 'Six Degrees' within the next two weeks, so 'The Glass Prison' was the first live and studio song I heard.

Answer:  Other than the gift, listening to others when they tell you things need to be edited, or simply aren't 'working'.

Answer:  NO
Q10b. Reasons:  George Martin, Roy Thomas Baker, Carole King...just to name a few good producers and song writers.

A) Yes (from the 'Lifting Shadows' book)

A) Yes
Answer:  'The Great Debate'

Answer:  Loathe the 'radio' bits and lyrics, otherwise that album was an almost perfect introduction for me to the band.  Most of 'Train of Thought' and 'Black Clouds' tracks do not work for me (heaviness, lyrics, meandering, not my style), but that track has zero appeal to me.

Answer:  Queensryche (and they should have stopped before or right after Q2K)

Answer:  Vocals, music, lyrics, image

Answer:  Not a follower of any.

Answer:   Traditional rock (Beatles, Queen (band and solo), Alice Cooper, Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, Rush, Queensryche, Jethro Tull, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, The Doors, Billy Joel, The Eagles, REM, Styx, The Rolling Stones, …..)    along with relaxing to Benny Goodman and Frank Sinatra.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 03:20:27 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 11:48:06 AM »
Hey! :)

Thanks for this survey, I hope it will benefit you!

A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: B, recent fan.

Answer: Hmmmm, I'd have to say mid 2015.

Answer: Same as above. Mid 2015.

Answer: 14 and 14.

Answer: I'd place it on 10th place.

Answer: 1st place.

Answer: DTF

Answer: I'd say for 2 months now.

Answer: A friend recommended me this band. I'd say early 2015 and I had heard the entirety of SFAM.

Answer:

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Many great things have happened when a musician or a band worked with external songwriters or producers.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Yep.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Nope. All their songs are good.

Answer:

Answer: Nope!

Answer:

Answer: Nope!

Answer:

Answer: Death metal, progressive rock/metal

---

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2017, 11:54:40 AM »

C)   Hardcore Fan (really I would say longtime fan, since 2000, but hardcore in the sense that I buy everything that comes out including bootleg and sometimes box sets).

Answer: I would say 2001 or 2002.

Answer: 2000

Answer:Probably in the middle

Answer: Slightly above the middle

Answer: dreamtheaterforums.org

Answer: Since 2010, shortly after Portnoy left.

Answer: I actually first heard them sometime in 1996 or 97.  Did not really listen intently until 2000.

Answer: Dedication, knowledge, skill, creativity, and originality.

Answer:No.

Answer:If it is done too much then the band loses their identity but if it is done just the right amount then it can increase the quality output.  It might not, but if it does then I have nothing against that.

Answer:Yes

Answer: The Full Circle section of Octavarium.  The lyrics are goofy and kills the emotional mood set up by the first few movements.

Answer: yes

Answer:Rush, Genesis, not any newer bands

Answer: I haven't heard many but Spock's Beard and Neal Morse I could just not get into

Answer: Metal, Classic Rock

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2017, 01:42:25 PM »

A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: Probably around 2010, since I discovered DT in late 2009 and FII was not one of the first albums I listened to.

Answer: Late 2009. Was the first DT album I ever heard, and the first prog album I heard too. I was inmediately sold.

Answer: All of them: WDADU, IAW, Awake, FII, SFAM, SDOIT, TOT, Octavarium, SC, BC&SL, ADTOE, DT12, TA.

Answer: 10

Answer: 1

Answer: Almost a year, but checked it many times before joining.

Answer: In late 2009. I was still taking bass lessons at the time (was 14 years old), and my bass teacher told me I should listen to this album, so he started playing SFAM from the beginning: Regression, then Overture 1928, then Strange DejaVu.

Answer: Depends on the kind of music. To write pop, not so much effort. To write prog, lots of music theory and skills. In general, I would say passion, dedication, practice and tolerance to failure.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Not a bad thing at all, but there's a limit at some point. You should keep your identity as a band/musician, but also learn as much as you can and get help from others, specially if you're just starting.

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: I would say "Never Enough", since it's pretty much the Muse song "Stockholm Syndrome" with a just few tweaks. It doesn't sound like DT at all, excepting the instrumental section, but, still, it's weird. That being said, I enjoy 99% of DT's catalog and listen to them almost daily.

Answer: Yes, Spock's Beard.

Answer: I really like Neal Morse's work and Spock's Beard was his first "real" prog band.

Answer: Yes, Periphery.

Answer: Their musicians are great, and tried to like the band many times, but just can't stand the vocals, screams and over produced vocal sounds.

Answer: Progressive Rock/Metal, Contemporary Christian Music.

---

That's it! Hope my answers help you with your investigation :D
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2017, 02:13:15 PM »
My metal tastes have been stuck somewhere in the 80s-90s, 

That describes everyone in the thread! Check it out. Would love to have your input.

OK, sure, will check it out. I was afraid I would be the only one so caught somewhere in time.

B.Lee

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2017, 02:20:54 PM »
I'm probably the only one that ranks FII above Scenes, right? I haven't met anybody else who agrees with me there.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »
I'm probably the only one that ranks FII above Scenes, right? I haven't met anybody else who agrees with me there.

Possibly. I know there are other people who don't rank SFAM highly, but still probably rank FII lower.
I only rank FII one or two places behind SFAM, so I get it. :tup
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2017, 10:08:51 PM »

I agree but my apathy towards SFAM is very "out of sample" for someone who ranks I&W as one of the greatest albums of all time. ANd it's not because I adore FII either.

I was already a long term fan when FII was released and it was a real shock to the system - I hated it.  But over time I grew to like it well enough for what it was , a couple of tracks aside.   SFAM saw their sound return to something like what I loved but I just didn't connect with the songs or concept like everyone else.  In fact the DT style I really loved on the first 2-3 albums really didn't return fully - for me at least - until ADTOE.  Some would say it returned a bit too much :lol

I would have FII in my middle third of the discog and SFAM around the lower third.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2017, 12:11:22 AM »

Answer: 1997

Answer: 1999

Answer: 10

Answer: 8

Answer: Dreamtheaterforums.org

Answer: Since October 2013

Answer: 1996, my drummer friend made me listen to Images and Words.

Answer: A musician must have purposive creativity.

Answer: Songwriting and performance are different talents, so there's nothing wrong if you are good only in one and not both. Much more so production which requires more of a managerial skillset.

Answer: I'll give you two. Status Seeker and Prophets of War.

Answer: For Status Seeker, it just sounds so dated, the same reason why I don't like Learning to Live). For Prophets of War, I said before that good songwriting requires purposive creativity. Prophets of War fails in this regard because the music really did not fit the narrative of the song.

Answer: Savatage.

Answer: Their vision.

Answer: None.

Answer:

Answer: Progressive metal, and Filipino rock and alternative (being that I am from the Philippines) ;)

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2017, 01:14:39 AM »
Answer: C)   Hardcore Fan (altho longtime fan also is a fitting description)

Answer: Right after I bought it. Not sure if I got it the very day it was released (Sept 23, 1997), but if not then, then within a few days. That said, I was already very familiar with 5 of the songs, having listened to a couple of Fix for 96 bootlegs beforehand.

Answer: Again, right after I bought it. Pretty sure that was a first day buy for me, so I'd say Oct 26, 1999.

Answer: All of them, and yes I can name them all.

Answer: I'd rank it towards the bottom, probably third from worst.

Answer: Only second behind the first disc of Six Degrees.

Answer: I believe it's coming up on 10 years.

Answer: Summer of 1989 - read a review of WDaDU.

Answer: Learning theory, examining the songwriting of good examples, taking the proper amount of time and gaining experience.

Answer: Those are actually 2 different things. External songwriters, generally I would say yes. Outside producers, generally I would say no.

Answer: Regarding external songwriters, I have an issue with them since it's not truly coming from the artist. From my point of view, the band/artist should be the one writing the songs, not someone else, or else the song is not really the band's/artist's. As for external producers, for the most part they simply refine the songs already written, which doesn't bother me in most cases.

Answer: While I immediately thought of You Not Me and Take Away My Pain, it's not just because both were changed by outsiders from the original demos; neither song does much for me. But I prefer the demo versions of both to the final versions.

Answer: Quite simply, I enjoy their music.

Answer: I can think of many.

Answer: For some bands, it was them trying too hard to write complex material. For others, they simply were copying DT's style instead of doing something original. And then there are those that have cookie monster vocals that I loathe.

Answer: Progressive metal/rock and classic rock.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline dtvoices94

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2017, 06:48:30 AM »
Q1. Which of the following do you believe best describes your Dream Theater fanship?
Answer: Longtime Fan since 1993

Answer: September 1997

Answer: October 1999

Answer: Most likely 5th or 6th

Answer: Most likely 3rd or 4th

Answer: Dream Theater Forums

Answer: A little under a year

Answer: 1993 my roommate in college gave me Images and Words and I was immediately hooked

Answer: Collaboration, critical self-editing, practice and repetition

Answer: Sometimes outside eyes and ears can make a world of difference

Answer:  I don’t care for the Dark Eternal Night lyrically and most of the music does nothing for me.

Answer: Fates Warning and Queensryche

Answer: Song structure and lyrics.  Great playing too

Answer: None off the top of my head but to be fair, I don’t listen to more than 20-25 bands of the genre

Blues and blues-rock
Hard rock and thrash metal

Offline Tony From Long Island

• No Day But Today
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2017, 07:03:37 AM »

A)   Longtime Fan

Answer: Probably on the first day it came out, which if I remember correctly, was right after the "fix for 96" shows  (I won't cheat and check Wikipedia), so sometime in 1997

Answer: The day before it's official release.

Q4. How many Dream Theater studio albums have you listened to? How many can you name (without checking through your music collection or the internet)?                All of them in order without having to check.

Answer:  7th out of 13

Answer: 4th out of 13

Answer:  www.dreamtheaterforums.org

Q7. How long have you been a member of this forum?  Almost a year

Answer:  1992 (I was 18).    A close friend was one of John Petrucci's guitar students and he introduced me to DT.   Although I heard DT early than this memory, I clearly remember listening to "Learning to Live"  and telling him I thought it sounded like Styx!!!!
"

Q9. In no more than 50 words, what do you think it takes for a musician or band to practice good Songwriting?  Having a broad knowledge of different styles of music and appreciation for good songwriting - even in genres you may not particularly care for, long with trial and error.

Q10a. Do you think that a musician or band working with external songwriters and producers is a bad thing?  NO!  (unless it is for every song on every album)

Q10b. Why? (No more than 50 words)  There are reasons why certain songwriters are in demand - They are generally good at what they do.  As long as the songs still bear my mark and influence, I have no problem with it.  Isn't the idea to reach as many listeners as possible?

Q11a. Were you aware that Dream Theater are a band that have worked with songwriters and producers in the past?  This is a silly question because most bands work with producers at some point - but yes, I am fully aware of the Desmond Child collaboration.

Q12. Can you give an example of a ‘bad’ Dream Theater song?  Other than 90% of  "The Astonishing,"    I would say "The Count of Tuscany"

Q13a. Do you have an affinity for a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that released material in the 1990’s?  Nope.  DT is pretty much the only "Prog"  I enjoy other than RUSH.  - Though I do love the song "Point of View" from Fates Warning.

Q14a. Is there a particular other Progressive Rock or Progressive Metal act that you dislike?  Dislike is a strong word.

Q15. Which genres of music would you say you find yourself listening to most of the time (please give two)?  There's much more than 2, but for the past year I have found myself listening to a lot of 70's pop / Disco.   I also love 80's Hair bands and Depeche Mode.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtvUwbiqcKY_DF-0WXtlHFg       Listen to my mediocre recordings!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:27 AM »

A)   Longtime Fan

Answer:

Answer: 1997 (bought it on release day)

Answer: 1999 (bought it on release day)

Answer: All of them.

Answer: 3rd

Answer: in the top half somewhere

Answer: DTF

Answer: since its inception

Answer: 1996, with the ACOS EP.

Answer: All music is derivative of what came before it. Find what you like, then experiment with it.

A) YES

Answer:

Answer: From a fan's perspective, I want to hear what the people playing the instruments and singing have come up with on their own.

A) YES. Briefly, on Falling Into Infinity

B) YES

Answer: DT has written a lot of (to my ears) bad songs. The first that comes really to mind is probably Octavarium, with how much of that song is lifted from DT's influences.

Answer: YES

Answer: They know to concentrate on making the song sound fluid, and not overplaying.

Answer: Of course.

Answer:

Answer: Hard Rock & Heavy Metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2017, 06:07:43 AM »
1. B: recent fan
2. I listened to every DT album in 2015 (except the Astonishing obviously), but FII came near the end of that listening order.
3. SFAM came as the very last album in the order (in fact, I'm pretty sure I heard the FII & SFAM back-to-back)
4. All albums, all song & roughly the exact duration of each song (give or take around 15 seconds)
5. 12/13 (11/12 when I first heard it)
6. 4/13 (2/12 when I first heard it)
7. DTF (obviously)
7 (again?). You can see this on any one of our profiles but I joined in September of 2015 (after I had heard every DT album at the time).
8. 1/1/2015 & The Root Of All Evil (because iTunes recomended the Octavarium album to me & I recognised the cover art)
9. A sense of setting up the exact mood the song intends to create while also doing so in an interesting way. This way it maximises the immersion the listener experiences with the song (which by the way is one of the reasons why I love Dream Theater so much). (that was 49 words  :lol)
10. No, because a producer can offer an outside perspective of what the song's atmosphere creates, & a producer's perspective will often be much more unbiased & more similar to a listener's perspective than the composer's.
11a (why is there an a with no b?). Yes, in fact I didn't realise that their later albums were self-produced!  :justjen
12. Yes, Take Away My Pain (the studio version only) because (in a nutshell) its direction is so indirect & confused that it clashes with itself on everything it tries to portray.
13a. Prog bands that released during the 90's sure, but not specifically their material from the 90's (Rush, Yes, King Crimson, etc.)
13b. Depends on the band but one common thing is their ability to constantly change their sound while (usually) not coming off as desperate or trying too hard to follow trends (I say usually because TCOL exists).
14. No, but that's likely because I'm still exploring the genre.
15. Prog rock & metal (cliche answer, I know, but still true  :hat)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline noxon

• Fan Club Professional
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 06:20:57 AM »

Answer:  A

Answer: 23. september 1997

Answer: 29. september 1999

Answer: all of them

Answer: 7

Answer: 2

Answer: dtf.org

Answer: 10 years - 17 if we count dt.net

Answer: 1994 - Another Day, on a compilation album called "Even More Power Ballads"

Answer: knowledge of music theory, or an ear for what sounds good.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: Because external input is always a good thing - it always help to have a second ear to listen to the stuff you created and to give reasonable feedback.

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer:  Yes

Answer: Raw Dog - pointless meandering around poorly executed ideas clearly a hack job completed for the sake of being included on the GOW compilation.

Answer: Good songs.

Answer:

Answer: thrash, heavy metal,  alt rock, pop, jazz fusion, classical, movie scores,

---

Thats all!

Thanks,
DTresearcher  :metal

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 10:25:34 AM »

Longtime Fan

Upon release 1997

Upon release 1999

All of them (easily)

Only behind, SFAM, I & W, Awake, TOT & SDOIT (so, #6).

A toss up between SFAM & I&W for the number one spot (changes whenever I listen to each album) ;)

DT.net :huh:

A few years....belong to MP.com forever

1995 a friend turned me on to the band

No idea since I'm not a musician

No

I would think it's always good to get an outside perspective

Yes

Yes
Vacant, Disappear, Space Dye Vest

The 3 songs I chose just are not of interest to me at all

Sure, my favorite other prog metallers from the '90's are Fates Warning, Symphony X, Spocks Beard, among others.

Classic Prog metal

Of course, many, but I would say that Steven Wilson of Porcupie Tree IMO is THE most overrated.

Fairly boring in my estimation.

Prog Rock & Classic Rock.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »

Answer:
A)   Longtime Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan

Answer:  2001

Answer:  1999

Answer:  I have listened to and can name all 13.

Answer:  10/13

Answer:  2/13

Answer:  DTF.org

Answer:  Since I am the founder, I have been here since its inception in May 2007.  Previously, I was a member of dreamtheater.net/bb since probably early 2002, then dreamtheaterforums.com, and then this place.

Answer:  1992 when hearing Pull Me Under on radio.

Answer:  It varies considerably from band to band.  If the members feel a genuine connection to what they are playing, that often manifests itself in a good way in the songs that they craft.  But beyond that, it is too hard to say.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer:  In general, no.  But…

Answer:  …it depends on the band and circumstance.  Sometimes, the outside influence can yield great results.  Other times, I can come across as artificial.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer:  Yes.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer:  Yes.

Answer:  It is hard to find a “bad” song by them, but there are a small handful.  Prophets of War stands out.  It has some good moments, but is musically a mess and its lyrics are offensive.

Answer:  Yes.  Several.

Answer:  Although I grew up on straightforward ‘80s hard rock, I have come to find more enjoyment from music that is a bit more complex and layered.  A number of acts, such as Fates Warning, for example, also do complex metal well.

Answer:  Yes.  Several.

Answer:  Many sound uninspired or “technical just for the sake of being technical” without writing good music that resonates emotionally.

Answer:  Various types of rock and metal, including “classic” rock/metal, progressive rock/metal, power metal, symphonic metal, and goth metal.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »

A)   Longtime Fan
B)   Recent Fan
C)   Hardcore Fan
D)   Casual Fan

Answer: B

Answer: Everyone, I can name anyone.

Answer: About third-to last

Answer: First.

Answer: About 3 years

Answer: 2012, I started listening after a drum clinic by Mangini. He played Outcry and I was blown away.

Answer: Listen to your favorite artists, dissect their writing and find out where you fit in it. Mix everything and be coherent to what you are and what you want.

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: It takes away the real essence of an artist. In music it is really important. But as far as producers go, it's okay. It keeps it interesting.

A) Yes
B) No

A) Yes
B) No

Answer: A Rite of Passage. It is just their dullest track. It's not terrible, it's just so flat and repetitive. It also has very few interesting ideas and a very repetitive structure.

Answer: Porcupine Tree

Answer: I like the way that each member is so unique in his style, but together they sound like one compact group of musician, which has influences from all four. They are perfect for each other.

Answer: Not really

Answer:

Answer: Progressive Metal and Heavy Metal
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline Vaterman

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2017, 06:21:17 PM »
A
All - Can name them all off the top of my head
Around 7th out of 13 studio releases
1st
Answer: dreamtheaterforums.org I actually just joined this forum so I could answer (as along time fan). Been on the MP forum since 2003
One day!
1995 - Awake
Have a broad range of influences. Edit your ideas. If you can hum it or remember it the next day it is a keeper.
No
Having an additional collaborator, in either instance can help the artist grow by seeing or hearing a different side of themselves, either through development of ideas, style or production technique.
Q11.Were you aware that Dream Theater are a band that have worked with songwriters and producers in the past?
Yes
Yes
Either Forsaken or Wither. Not that I dont like slower material, but in both of these instances I felt they were trying for a sound that was very copycat, maybe even aiming for a hit. Neither work for me as a sound or approach that works for DT (imho)
Porcupine Tree is probably my favorite
Perfect blend of unique, melodic, memorable, top notch songwriting, production and performance.
Mars Volta
Just too out there for me. Cant find the 1. I need a little groove once in a while.
Prog and Guitar based "Classic Rock" from the 60's through the 90's

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2017, 04:44:40 AM »

Answer: There's no such thing as practicing good song writing. Good song writing is a product of imagination and inspiration.

PowerSlave; It is not my intention to critique your answer, nor dispute it, but if I may...
Can you logically put "there's no such thing" and "[it] is the product of [this]" in the same answer? It is as if you deny it can be put down to specific things and then give examples of what specific things it takes, all in the same answer?

Any clarification would be appreciated :)

DTresearcher

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2017, 04:48:27 AM »

Answer:  It is hard to find a “bad” song by them, but there are a small handful.  Prophets of War stands out.  It has some good moments, but is musically a mess and its lyrics are offensive.

???
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2017, 05:46:09 AM »

Answer: Those are actually 2 different things. External songwriters, generally I would say yes. Outside producers, generally I would say no.

Setlist Scotty; I'm certainly aware that these are two different things. The general question concerns wether you feel that it's a bad thing for a band to work with songwriters AND producers. Therefore, I'll take your answer to be a 'yes' if your opinion is that it is bad for a band to use at least one of these things...?

DTresearcher

Offline DTresearcher

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

Q13b. If so, in no more than 50 words, describe what it is that you like about this [other] Prog act (if not, leave blank).

Classic Prog metal

As I Am; This is an interesting answer for me... Could you define what it is that makes a Prog act 'classic'? (In my own words as an Englishman, "Cor blimey, that sounds like a proper Classic Prog act, doesn't it Guv'na!") - Is it a time period, or a certain sound?

I ask as this will probably be my next post on the forum: Is Prog Rock really 'Progressive' - or is 'Prog' given as a somewhat incoherent label to a sub-style of Rock that follows different rules to, say, Grunge or Glam Rock? I.E. what's the difference between 'Prog' and 'Experimental' rock?

(If you wouldn't mind just answering the first question, I can wait until my next post for an all-out keyboard war between DT fans  :lol)

Thanks, DTresearcher

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2017, 10:21:32 AM »
1. (H) former fan. Register that how you wish.

2. 1997 When it was new

3. 1999 When it was new

4. All of them

5. 4th or 5th

6. 3rd or 4th

7. DTF, wikiP

8. Heard PMU on the radio ~92

9. No idea, since I certainly couldn't do it.

10 a/b Depends on the band and circumstances. Having an outside writer pen your songs is bad. Having somebody to say "you know, maybe this instead of that would work" is a fine thing.

11. Yes

12 a/b I Walk Beside You. Derivative. Trying to be something they're not.

13 a/b Plenty. Appreciation of music is subjective and some of these bands make music I enjoy.

14 a/b Never cared much for Opeth. Again, simply my subjective likes and dislikes.

15. Jazz and classic metal.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson