Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212021 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1120 on: June 28, 2017, 01:58:17 AM »
These 5 songs (as well as the 2 songs I wrote for my parents who have passed away: ACOS & TBOT) are EXTREMELY PERSONAL to me and my life...

And I always wonder, with statements such as this, how much did Mike Portnoy *actually* write in these songs? I know he wrote the lyrics to all the tracks, but every band member (apart from JLB in some cases) is credited as a writer on all of these songs. The song was not 'written by Mike Portnoy' so to speak. So, what did he add? Was it loose structures, themes, or complete riffs, choruses and melodies? I have a hunch that as far as having actually written stuff, Mike Portnoy's share would be fairly equal to that of at least JR and JP. So, yeah, while the lyrics might be important to him (and I totally get that), I do not believe that merely writing lyrics can be considered the same as having written the song.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1121 on: June 28, 2017, 02:18:11 AM »
I always considered the lyric writing to be a very important part of the songwriting proces. Having written lyrics for songs myself, I somehow always considered the songs I wrote the lyrics for as being 'my songs' even if the whole band was involved in the writing and added to the proces. It's just a feeling, I guess.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1122 on: June 28, 2017, 02:34:39 AM »
Didn't MP always emphasize that only Carpe Diem is about his mother and that ACOS is not a one-topic song while he was still in DT? Also, if the song is so emotional and dear to him, then why was he ok with the band inserting the Simpsons theme into it on LSFNY?

My take on this is that alcoholism and the loss of a parent are universal themes, and those songs have resonated with fans around the world. If I were MP I'd be happy DT are still spreading the message about overcoming those struggles and letting people hear songs that may mean a lot to them.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1123 on: June 28, 2017, 03:57:01 AM »
Its tonight!!

Just a reminder i will be posting the set when it show starts. Doors open at 7 so expecting Next to None on at 7.30 with Mike and guys on at 8.30 GMT is my guess.

So if you want to avoid spoilers this is your warning

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1124 on: June 28, 2017, 05:01:48 AM »
Time to leave this thread until after Be Prog! My Friend then...

It's kind of weird, I'm seeing this thing twice in a week in two different countries.

Have fun! And say hi to the Haken guys :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1125 on: June 28, 2017, 05:10:24 AM »
Have fun. I"m looking forward to see what the setlist is.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #1126 on: June 28, 2017, 06:24:04 AM »
Didn't MP always emphasize that only Carpe Diem is about his mother and that ACOS is not a one-topic song while he was still in DT? Also, if the song is so emotional and dear to him, then why was he ok with the band inserting the Simpsons theme into it on LSFNY?

My take on this is that alcoholism and the loss of a parent are universal themes, and those songs have resonated with fans around the world. If I were MP I'd be happy DT are still spreading the message about overcoming those struggles and letting people hear songs that may mean a lot to them.

That's a mature and selfless perspective on the situation, not sure that even enters his thought process but boy wouldn't it be awesome to hear him come out with something like that.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1127 on: June 28, 2017, 06:30:50 AM »
I think it's already past the time to change the topic's name to "Make fun of MP and whatever he posts HERE!!!!".

You have to realize that bitching about MP is the DTF way.  People are way too critical of MP around here.  They whine and complain about how critical he is, about how he can't let anything go, how he needs to learn to STFU, all the while, complaining and refusing to let go themselves and not being able to STFU about it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1128 on: June 28, 2017, 08:36:00 AM »
Also, if the song is so emotional and dear to him, then why was he ok with the band inserting the Simpsons theme into it on LSFNY?

I think you are now the second person in the thread to say this.  But I have to say, I don't understand the point.  How does inserting that somehow make it not emotional or dear to him?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1129 on: June 28, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
Also, if the song is so emotional and dear to him, then why was he ok with the band inserting the Simpsons theme into it on LSFNY?

I think you are now the second person in the thread to say this.  But I have to say, I don't understand the point.  How does inserting that somehow make it not emotional or dear to him?  ???

Not saying this is my take on it, but my guess is because the Simpsons theme is humorous, and ACOS is a completely serious and thought-provoking song. The two don't mix. So it leads to speculation that perhaps the song isn't as emotional for him as it is for many of us, because he made a joke out of it with the Simpsons insertion.

For me personally, I don't buy that line of thinking at all. I think the song does mean a tremendous amount to him. The insertion of the Simpsons thing was a little light hearted moment to bring some healing laughter to the moment, during such an emotional roller coaster. Which, if you've ever lost a parent, or had issues with something, that sort of break is very much needed.

I get it, I mean, I prefer the song WITHOUT the Simpsons thing. But I totally get why it could be there, and I personally don't subscribe to the theory that ACOS may not mean as much to MP because they did that. I think it was just a little humor to break the somberness. And as I said, if you've lost a parent you were close to, or had a dramatic tragedy happen to you, that sort of comedic interlude...somehow fits.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1130 on: June 28, 2017, 10:04:36 AM »
I think MP's frustration about them playing ACOS is understandable, but airing it on social media isn't the best idea especially when we already know what the general response is to these things.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1131 on: June 28, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
I think it's already past the time to change the topic's name to "Make fun of MP and whatever he posts HERE!!!!".
No one is making fun of anything MP posts, we're just pointing out how ridiculous (I would say that's a proper word) some of his statements regarding the split are.

Sorry, but I don't think there's other way to put it. I get what you say about there being nothing wrong with posting how he feels, but I find a fault in that: usually the way he words his 'feelings' puts him on a 'I'm doing everything right' position, which usually ends up putting the rest of the DT guys in a bad place; and that's neither mature or healthy for any of the two parties involved.

Also, regarding the JP post: that's so absurd. There's no way in hell you can compare ACOS to TAMP in terms of fan reception and sheer legacy. Playing ACOS in the actual Images & Words tour makes all the sense in the world for reasons I do not need to state here, a song that was written by Dream Theater as a band and is widely considered to be one of their all-time classics. True, the song is personal and close to him, but he's making a case out of nothing. I get why would he feel bad about the band playing the song, but how about keeping that to yourself and not going into a passive-aggressive media rant? I was once a big, big fan of Mike Portnoy but I swear every time he touches this subject drives me farther away from him.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1132 on: June 28, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »
So, he has buried the hatchet with JP, but still took a shot at him on FB tonight...

Mike Portnoy The fact of the matter these 5 songs were written about my battle with Alcoholism and addiction...

These 5 songs (as well as the 2 songs I wrote for my parents who have passed away: ACOS & TBOT) are EXTREMELY PERSONAL to me and my life...

If I'm being honest, it pains me to a great deal to see them performed without me....

I'm aware *i left* the band, but I figured there'd be a little human compassion and these ones one would've stayed on the shelf with so many other songs to choose from...

I in a MILLION YEARS would NEVER consider playing "Take Away My Pain", but that's just me...

Anyways, it is what it is...
I don't hold grudges or resentments.
BUT I also don't BS...so I'm just being honest

And these Shattered Fortress shows will be poetic justice and very emotional for me...
I look forward to sharing these moments with you all!

:facepalm: :facepalm:

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Nevermind the fact that DT fans, for the most part, really enjoy those songs god forbid they play them. And Poetic Justice? Was he wronged in some way? Seriously, I love MP as musician but him and Trump have the same problem with social media. At this point I think these Shattered Fortress shows are nothing but a big Fuck You to Dream Theater and are more for MP's ego than the fans.
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1133 on: June 28, 2017, 10:25:01 AM »
Considering how MP always says he does things for the fans, is it not ok then for DT to do things for the fans?  I've been on this forum long enough to know the fans have been craving to see ACOS live again.  I've never seen it of the 12+ times I've seen DT.  I understand that he may feel upset due to his personal connection to the song (and I think that's fine), but it's a fan favorite.  You can't expect DT to not give the fans what they want.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: June 28, 2017, 10:32:50 AM »
Again I wonder if he asked the guys not to play it. If he is getting along with 3 members of the band then why not just ask?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1135 on: June 28, 2017, 10:43:47 AM »
Because DT doesn't need to listen to what MP thinks or wants. ACOS is a DT song and MP is not in DT anymore.

I'm not picking any sides here, but that's just, factually, how it is - as far as I know.

The DT (and MP) fanbase still don't know exactly what went on with the split. Was MP bought out? Were there any terms or conditions to his leaving DT?  DT are 'allowed' to play anything 'writted by Mike Portnoy' all they want, just like Mike can set up a band to play the whole twelve step suite (or ANY other Dream Theater material, for that matter).
Squ

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1136 on: June 28, 2017, 11:03:18 AM »
Because DT doesn't need to listen to what MP thinks or wants. ACOS is a DT song and MP is not in DT anymore.

I'm not picking any sides here, but that's just, factually, how it is - as far as I know.

Yup, that pretty much sums it up.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1137 on: June 28, 2017, 11:23:22 AM »
There's a lot of room for speculation in that message too.  To me, it seems like he thinks JLB is the reason he is not back with DT.  Also, it seems like in reality he is NOT fine with it.  Just my interpretation.

If this is true that's the greatest Fatal Tragedy in the history of the band.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #1138 on: June 28, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
Got blocked by MP on Twitter today.
I don't follow him, but Haken retweeted his post about the Shattered Fortress tour which said "You can take MP out of DT, but you can't take DT out of MP"

I commented, "No one took you out of the band, you left."

Might have been an unnecessary comment, but it's a fact nonetheless. I don't see any reason to block someone over it.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1139 on: June 28, 2017, 11:36:07 AM »
There's a lot of room for speculation in that message too.  To me, it seems like he thinks JLB is the reason he is not back with DT.  Also, it seems like in reality he is NOT fine with it.  Just my interpretation.

If this is true that's the greatest Fatal Tragedy in the history of the band.

To be clear, I don't believe this to be true.  I took that quote and interpreted it as if I didn't know better about the situation.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #1140 on: June 28, 2017, 11:55:09 AM »
I'm surprised there wasn't something in the agreement about MP playing DT tunes for profit. Obviously he can't use the DT name. Either way, the only person who looks bad in this is MP which is shame. I can already see comments from him about attendance and how positive everything was.

Also, this reminded me that I have been waiting years for a DT/Haken tour. Why this happened yet is beyond me. Haken would be the perfect opener for DT.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1141 on: June 28, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »
Also, this reminded me that I have been waiting years for a DT/Haken tour. Why this happened yet is beyond me. Haken would be the perfect opener for DT.

I said the same thing in the Haken thread.  It makes sooo much sense for them to tour together. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1142 on: June 28, 2017, 12:10:02 PM »
MP on social media:  I gotta say, I think I like the taste of A&W better than Mug.

DT Fan:  ZOMG, WHEN WILL HE LEARN TO STAY OFF SOCIAL MEDIA ALL HE DOES IS MAKE AN ASS OF HIMSELF AND PUT HIS FOOT IN HIS MOUTH YOU QUIT THEY DIDN'T FIRE YOU #ALWAYSTHEVICTIM #NEVERENOUGH

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1143 on: June 28, 2017, 12:15:49 PM »
Yeah, because something like that actually happened here in this thread. ::)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1144 on: June 28, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
They're running behind. The que outside to get in is huge!!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1145 on: June 28, 2017, 12:27:10 PM »

Well, no, it didn't, but given the typical DT fan's usual reactions to MP's social media posts, I have to imagine fans of DT AND Mug Root Beer would react similarly.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1146 on: June 28, 2017, 12:29:09 PM »
Walked in and an instrumental version of 'about to crash' is playing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1147 on: June 28, 2017, 12:29:21 PM »

Well, no, it didn't

Good.  So can we limit the fantasy strawmen to P/R then, please?  Thanks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1148 on: June 28, 2017, 12:30:01 PM »
Walked in and an instrumental version of 'about to crash' is playing.

Cool.  Is it just over the PA, or is there a video presentation going on?

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1149 on: June 28, 2017, 12:33:16 PM »
Just over the PA seens like its going through six degrees just instrumentally. The start of MP's rarity playlist Apparently prior to the gig

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1150 on: June 28, 2017, 12:35:39 PM »
Just over the PA seens like its going through six degrees just instrumentally. The start of MP's rarity playlist Apparently prior to the gig

Thanks for the play-by-play. Really appreciate you posting so we can all follow along.

:metal
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1151 on: June 28, 2017, 12:39:46 PM »
No problem dude shouldn't be long till next to none are on..... ugh I've not heard anything of their material I like.. naybe they'll win me over

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1152 on: June 28, 2017, 12:42:26 PM »
No problem dude shouldn't be long till next to none are on..... ugh I've not heard anything of their material I like.. naybe they'll win me over

[Ron Howard voice]They wouldn't[/Ron Howard Voice]
Photobucket sucks.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1153 on: June 28, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
Haha onto beyond this life got a sing along going to be fair this is awesome

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1154 on: June 28, 2017, 12:49:51 PM »

I wonder if this means he wont be performing songs from 6 degrees (since it's not normal for the music over the PA to then be performed live).  We will find out soon.