Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210722 times)

Offline bill1971

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #875 on: March 19, 2017, 03:28:06 PM »
I notice MP will make passive aggressive comments like who cares if a drummer can play 1000bpm it's all about feel. I'm paraphrasing.

I'm just going to start posting here instead because although I am a big fan of his drumming and some of his projects his self centered attitude has finally wore me out.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #876 on: March 19, 2017, 03:33:38 PM »
I notice MP will make passive aggressive comments like who cares if a drummer can play 1000bpm it's all about feel. I'm paraphrasing.

I'm just going to start posting here instead because although I am a big fan of his drumming and some of his projects his self centered attitude has finally wore me out.

Welcome!

Always lot of good music topics going on here, DT and otherwise.  Feel free to jump into the deep end. :coolio

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #877 on: March 19, 2017, 07:21:14 PM »
A lot of the shows have Doors opening at 7 and show time 8 with no mention on the tickets of 'with special guests' I.e. support act. Considering the tickets for the london gig was £40 which is substantial i'm expecting a long show so this well could be an "evening with" scenario potentially:

Well I'm going to Milan, and it says that the opening act will be Next To None. Can anyone confirm this?

It's MP's show so he can do whatever he wants, but man, a slot like that should go to some upcoming Italian prog band, not a teenage angry band.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #878 on: March 19, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »
It's my tour!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #879 on: March 19, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #880 on: March 19, 2017, 07:37:12 PM »
Ohh is that his son's band?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #881 on: March 19, 2017, 08:24:09 PM »

Online Adami

« Reply #882 on: March 19, 2017, 08:26:52 PM »
Singing kid ain't bad. I saw a vid of MP doing The Mirror the Haken and the kid came out and sang some of it and was surprisingly good.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #883 on: March 19, 2017, 09:38:44 PM »
I notice MP will make passive aggressive comments like who cares if a drummer can play 1000bpm it's all about feel.

Yup...and MM used to always say him and MP are friends and about how much he respects him. Not so much anymore. The comments Portnoy made were clearly directed at Mangini and I can't imagine Mangini is too happy about it.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #884 on: March 19, 2017, 09:55:41 PM »
I notice MP will make passive aggressive comments like who cares if a drummer can play 1000bpm it's all about feel.

Yup...and MM used to always say him and MP are friends and about how much he respects him. Not so much anymore. The comments Portnoy made were clearly directed at Mangini and I can't imagine Mangini is too happy about it.

Yet, Mangini still compliments Portnoy's drum lines and has always spoken good things about him. On the other side, Portnoy has never ever made a single positive comment about MM era DT. He even tried to diminish the importance of their first Grammy nom. by calling it a recognition of their whole career, and not really because of OTBOA  :tdwn
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #885 on: March 19, 2017, 10:09:52 PM »

Yet, Mangini still compliments Portnoy's drum lines and has always spoken good things about him. On the other side, Portnoy has never ever made a single positive comment about MM era DT. He even tried to diminish the importance of their first Grammy nom. by calling it a recognition of their whole career, and not really because of OTBOA  :tdwn

Yeah. Really low. Good point though that MM still compliments MP all the time. Mangini seems to be pure class...unlike...

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #886 on: March 20, 2017, 02:26:05 AM »
Still, the only thing I ever remember reading from Portnoy about Mangini was a reply on his forum about wether he was pissed at him for taking his job, and he replied something like "Of course not! it was a great carrier opportunity and it would have been foolish to pass it on". Which of course is PC as you can get, but still, it was the right thing to say.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline bill1971

« Reply #887 on: March 20, 2017, 09:29:16 AM »
Still, the only thing I ever remember reading from Portnoy about Mangini was a reply on his forum about wether he was pissed at him for taking his job, and he replied something like "Of course not! it was a great carrier opportunity and it would have been foolish to pass it on". Which of course is PC as you can get, but still, it was the right thing to say.

Agreed it was the best thing to say. I am sure it is still tough on MP because I feel he still regrets leaving DT, otherwise it wouldn't bother him.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #888 on: March 20, 2017, 11:57:18 AM »

Yeah. Really low. Good point though that MM still compliments MP all the time. Mangini seems to be pure class...unlike...

DT and MM are doing the absolute best thing.

The more MP throws insults at you - the more you have to ignore it and throw compliments back.

It just makes you look better and better and him worse and worse.

If MP insults Mangini and Mangini compliments him back - there's no way out of that.

I remember one time on Twitter - MP tweeted " Man - November Rain by GNR has the same drum fill like 12 times..."

Matt Sorum replied " Better than having a kit the size of a house and overplaying everywhere " < - or something similar  **

:lol MP quickly replied " I totally agree ! I love November Rain btw !  : )  "

Too late :lolpalm:

** i just found it and Matt said " remember kids - drumming isn't all about fancy drum fills and splash cymbals everywhere "

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #889 on: March 20, 2017, 12:25:01 PM »
^Yeah, I remember the Matt Sorum thing.  I might previously have agreed with Mike on that fill too.  That is, until Matt explained why it is like that in response to Mike's comment, which actually was pretty cool.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #890 on: March 20, 2017, 12:29:34 PM »
It was mainly Portnoy's immediate sycophantic back-pedalling that I found amusing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #891 on: March 20, 2017, 12:47:50 PM »
He is like those cats in gifs where supposedly the fight is over, but when the other cat is walking away, MP cat hits one last time on the way out. And then tries to look innocent :lol

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #892 on: March 20, 2017, 04:27:51 PM »
It was mainly Portnoy's immediate sycophantic back-pedalling that I found amusing.

Or bashing the final Pink Floyd album and then when people bashed the hell out of him he came back and said  "I totally get what David Gilmour is doing by releasing this and I love it!"

He said some crappy things about Neal Peart back in the day, too.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #893 on: March 21, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
I just saw the cruise videos, or what I could handle of them at least...

Three guitarists.

Three JP guitars.

If I were MP, who had no doubt already made some lofty demands on his DT cover band musicians, I would have imposed on them further with a "no JP guitars" rule. People who worship in the Temple of Petrucci just don't know what it looks like when guys play prog and use JP guitars more or less exclusively. Don't tell me image doesn't matter--Mike knows it does. Even worse is when you're not doing a couple one-off cover shows as this is also a great way to get called a "DT ripoff," and there's a semblance to truth to it if you're in the bubble to the point that you think this is the only guitar you can make music on.

To his credit, Charlie Griffiths has some cooler guitars he usually plays.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #894 on: March 21, 2017, 10:52:37 AM »
I know Eric plays a JP model as his main guitar currently, and I believe both Rich and Charlie formerly played them as well before switching to their current Strandberg models. I don't think that anyone thinks they're the only guitar you can make music on, from what I understand they're just really well designed/made instruments. I'm pretty sure I remember rumborak saying that he ended up with a JP model back in his DT cover band days not because of Petrucci, but because for the quality and features it just made sense.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #895 on: March 21, 2017, 10:53:29 AM »
I just saw the cruise videos, or what I could handle of them at least...

Three guitarists.

Three JP guitars.

If I were MP, who had no doubt already made some lofty demands on his DT cover band musicians, I would have imposed on them further with a "no JP guitars" rule. People who worship in the Temple of Petrucci just don't know what it looks like when guys play prog and use JP guitars more or less exclusively. Don't tell me image doesn't matter--Mike knows it does. Even worse is when you're not doing a couple one-off cover shows as this is also a great way to get called a "DT ripoff," and there's a semblance to truth to it if you're in the bubble to the point that you think this is the only guitar you can make music on.

To his credit, Charlie Griffiths has some cooler guitars he usually plays.
???  What?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Adami

« Reply #896 on: March 21, 2017, 10:54:18 AM »
I have 4 JP model guitars and they are really amazing. Definitely my favorite guitars.

That said, playing them in this specific context wasn't the best idea.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: March 21, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
That said, playing them in this specific context wasn't the best idea.

I don't understand why not?  It's dream theater songs, why is it a negative to play DT songs with a JP guitar? As far as I know, The Shattered Fortress is essentially a DT cover band with a former DT member.  It seems fitting to me.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #898 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »
Yeah, playing JP parts with JP guitars, how dare they?
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #899 on: March 21, 2017, 11:06:41 AM »
There's definitely other outstanding alternatives out there. The JP guitar really isn't all that exclusive in that sense. But I probably shouldn't say much; although I don't own a MusicMan, I do have JP's signature pickups in my 7-string.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #900 on: March 21, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
Yeah, playing JP parts with JP guitars, how dare they?

Because it makes this seem like a DT cover band. I don't think Mike wants this to be considered a DT cover band, but a band playing music associated with Mike Portnoy's illustrious career. I'm trying to look at it from Mike's perspective--I don't necessarily think in retrospect that the "three bearded dudes playing JP parts on JP guitars" look was his ideal presentation.

I wasn't aware Charlie was playing the JP guitars regularly at some point, but I haven't followed Haken in a while and am a bigger fan of his older Linear Sphere stuff.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #901 on: March 21, 2017, 11:23:01 AM »
I have a 7-string JP model, it's my main guitar. It was the only 7-string model that had a floating-bridge and piezos. For a lefty, keep that in mind.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #902 on: March 21, 2017, 11:30:00 AM »
Because it makes this seem like a DT cover band.
It IS a DT cover band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #903 on: March 21, 2017, 11:31:24 AM »
Maybe this is totally naive of me, but I kinda viewed the fact that they all used JP guitars as a sign of respect to JP. I thought it was cool.

Does it help them not look like a DT cover band? Nope. But, they kinda are a DT cover band, so I guess in my book, it's okay that they look like one.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #904 on: March 21, 2017, 11:33:47 AM »
3 Guitars all the time is a bit much though why not have Richard switch it up every now and then and play keyboards for certain parts.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #905 on: March 21, 2017, 11:42:37 AM »
Because it makes this seem like a DT cover band.
It IS a DT cover band.

See my thread Mike Portnoy has a new Dream Theater cover band.

I totally agree with you and am only talking about public perception, something Mike is sometimes acutely aware of and other times entirely oblivious to. My opinion is Mike wanted this to be more a celebration of Mike than a celebration of Dream Theater as a whole.

It's quite different than an Iron Maiden cover band where one guy has to dance around like a madman, one guy has to wear silly costumes, and another has to fire his P bass bass like a machine gun at the audience to maintain authenticity and draw the crowd in. All this band really needed was Mike playing Mike.

Am I giving Mike too little credit? Did he really just want to use Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress to celebrate Dream Theater and all of its individual members? ;)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #906 on: March 21, 2017, 11:43:51 AM »
Frankly, they should play whatever instruments they think can best replicate the music as Mike would like it replicated. It that happens to be JP model guitars, which would make a whole lot of sense, so be it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #907 on: March 21, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
They stayed very close to the original recordings so it makes sense to try to replicate the sound as best as they can, and if this can be done with JP guitars then do it. And when you take into account that Eric plays them regularly and the Haken guys have played them for some time, it's really no big deal.

And yes, it is a DT cover band, although I would have liked it probably more had they changed things a bit, rearrange some parts, play things a little bit different. The three singers were a step in that direction imo, sad that Daniel wasn't prepared and Ted was struggling with his voice.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #908 on: March 21, 2017, 01:35:51 PM »
FWIW, I doubt very seriously that any of the guitarists were playing the JP guitars because it was DT music.  They just like those guitars.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #909 on: March 21, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
FWIW, I doubt very seriously that any of the guitarists were playing the JP guitars because it was DT music.  They just like those guitars.
I'm not sure, actually. They basically never play the JP guitars anymore. So I wouldn't be surprised if they did is because it seemed fitting for playing DT's music. It's also possible that those were simply their preferred 7-strings, when everything they do in Haken these days is (I belive) on 8-string.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.