Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210716 times)

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: Predictions for MP's Shattered Fortress Tour?
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2017, 04:48:33 PM »
Yea, not much of a tour per say, just select shows which are all spread out too.  Do we know if he plans on using the same musicians at all shows that may be difficult with being so spread out and I am assuming he is looking at active musicians (but maybe I am wrong).

It does state "So Far". He could add more .
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2017, 05:01:30 PM »
Yea, not much of a tour per say, just select shows which are all spread out too.  Do we know if he plans on using the same musicians at all shows that may be difficult with being so spread out and I am assuming he is looking at active musicians (but maybe I am wrong).

It does state "So Far". He could add more .

Yeah, I would expect a show in England at least. And perhaps South America, but that's tougher.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2017, 05:34:10 PM »
I wouldn't mind checking it out just because of the vocals alone, it's gonna be interesting not hearing JLB.

You know, this is the chance to get the vocalist he felt like having during the times The Saga was written.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2017, 05:56:46 PM »

You know, this is the chance to get the vocalist he felt like having during the times The Saga was written.
That will be interesting, I hope he takes advantage. Bashing JLB while he was in the band was messed up, but it does make me curious what kind of singer he had in mind.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: January 05, 2017, 07:53:13 AM »

That will be interesting, I hope he takes advantage. Bashing JLB while he was in the band was messed up, but it does make me curious what kind of singer he had in mind.

Maybe he sings it all himself?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #75 on: January 11, 2017, 07:34:56 PM »
Not only is there nothing whatsoever wrong with that particular post of his, I think it's quite funny. People really need to lighten up and stop constantly looking for faults with MP.

You don't have to look very hard. 

As it stands, I think his comment was actually hilarious and not tactless in anyway.  He has been open about Derek not wanting to play an LTE cover on the previous cruise. 

As for the band, I definitely think there will be something off about it.  I finally relented and purchased PSMS and enjoyed it quite a bit but  the bass and guitar did sound a little weird.  Great musicians but very different styles from Petrruci and Myung.  Add in a vocalist who no doubt can't duplicate LaBrie's unique voice and....well, I'm sure it'll be a pretty good performance but kind of like PSMS, I don't think I'll go back and listen to it much. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: January 12, 2017, 08:12:43 AM »
....well, I'm sure it'll be a pretty good performance but kind of like PSMS, I don't think I'll go back and listen to it much. 

Same here, but I think that was going to be a given no matter what.  I mean, I really like most of the 12SS songs.  And I used to have a copy of the really good fan edit of the entire thing being put together as a single piece, and thought it was really cool.  But it is extremely time-consuming and exhausting to listen to.  So even if we lived in an alternate universe where DT were performing the entire thing, I still wouldn't listen to it much.  I'm glad Mike is doing it.  It needed to be done.  And the fact that I may not listen to it more than "once in a while" isn't by any means a downer to me.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:30 AM »
Ive been meaning to sequence the 12ss on itunes in a playlist. Will do so. As for the performance, agreed. Cool, but not something i go back to often. Now, if his band does some dt classics, however....
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #78 on: January 12, 2017, 08:52:21 AM »
???  Didn't I send you a copy of the one I had?  I hope so, because I was planning to ask you to return the favor.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2017, 09:06:52 AM »
I'm by no means a sound expert but I'm skilled enough with some copy / paste / merge tools, I made my own version of the suite with the songs connected.

I'm curious the most the way the Repentance > Shattered Fortress transition will go live, if after the end of the spoken section the song would start the way DT started it live in 2014, or if they go for a straight punch with the entire intro skipped in favor of the fast, "real" start of the song... the way I did it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2017, 09:09:39 AM »
???  Didn't I send you a copy of the one I had?  I hope so, because I was planning to ask you to return the favor.  :lol

Nope. Or if you did, i dont remember getting it.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online The Letter M

« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2017, 04:47:05 PM »
I'm by no means a sound expert but I'm skilled enough with some copy / paste / merge tools, I made my own version of the suite with the songs connected.

I'm curious the most the way the Repentance > Shattered Fortress transition will go live, if after the end of the spoken section the song would start the way DT started it live in 2014, or if they go for a straight punch with the entire intro skipped in favor of the fast, "real" start of the song... the way I did it.

I believe I posted a file on here at the DTF once that showed off the inter-song transitions that I made up for my personal remix of the 12SS. For Repentance-TSF, I used the stems from the box set to create a unique intro for TSF. After the final note of Repentance, after I think 6 beats, I started with just drums doing the opening riff for 4 bars, then entered the bass for 4 bars, then the guitars as the actual start of the song. It creates a nice tiered  and staggered opening, which quaintly opens with Mike pounding away at the slightly faster 6/8 from the end of Repentance.

It'll be interesting to see how Mike does his own transition live, though I'd be a little proud if he ended up doing what I did, or something similar.

The other transitions are pretty self-explanatory, especially since TGP/TDS has already been done live. For TDS/TROAE, I used the ending riff as the last run of that riff before the main groove begins in TROAE (skipping most of the opening of that song). Not sure how that'll work live considering the tunings are different. As for TROAE/Repentance, I used the tempo and time of TROAE's few beats (since the piano slows down) and waited 8 beats after the final note, to let that last C ring out and fade into the opening bass.

It'll be nice to have a complete live version of this, with "official" transitions and all, though part of me hopes it ends up being similar to what I have, because I'd like a studio version of the live version to have. I've actually been hoping that Mike would one day release an EP of all 5 songs, remastered and remixed to flow together, cut into 12 indexed tracks. I'd buy that in a heartbeat!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cable

« Reply #82 on: January 12, 2017, 08:26:29 PM »

I made my continuous 12SS with the instrumental TSF spliced in the beginning, then switching to the vocal one seamlessly. That way, right after Corey Taylor says his last part, it hits you full force. It actually works perfectly, and is actually my favorite of the four transitions.
---

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2017, 01:08:02 AM »
Yeah, that's what I liked about it; that after the final silence and only hearing "The truth is the truth, and all you can do is to learn with it" you get it with the fast punch of the "real" start of the song, skipping the whole intro.

As for the other transitions, I agree with The Letter M about the way they're done, it will be fun to discover the "official" way they will be done!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2017, 12:51:49 PM »
T minus 90 minutes or so until his first set, which I think will focus on non DT material. Supposedly some Transatlantic and probably Flying Colors plus other stuff. Only thing that's been ruled out is OSI, evidently Mike invited Jim Matheos but it didn't work out.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
Do we know who is in his band or will that also be found out when they hit the stage?

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2017, 12:58:17 PM »
T minus 90 minutes or so until his first set, which I think will focus on non DT material. Supposedly some Transatlantic and probably Flying Colors plus other stuff. Only thing that's been ruled out is OSI, evidently Mike invited Jim Matheos but it didn't work out.
Fates Warning is in the midst of a tour and has a show tonight, unfortunately.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2017, 12:59:29 PM »
Do we know who is in his band or will that also be found out when they hit the stage?
I don't think it's been announced yet, so presumably it'll be a surprise. Thanks to my contacts I have a pretty good idea of who is in the band, but interested to know if I'm 100% accurate or not. :P

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
I don't think there's anything to suggest Mike invited Jim or anything. To my knowledge most of his other projects aren't represented in the band either.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
I don't think there's anything to suggest Mike invited Jim or anything. To my knowledge most of his other projects aren't represented in the band either.

Shared an elevator with Mike and a few other people not long ago and he was asked about OSI. Seems like the cast of supporting characters will be rotating throughout as well.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #90 on: February 07, 2017, 01:20:33 PM »
The dude (MP) has got his shit together like none other! :hefdaddy This will be a smoking event (something which DT has not been since he split).

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #91 on: February 07, 2017, 01:23:50 PM »
John Petrucci ‏@JPetrucci  02 Jan 2017

Thanks Mike ! We won't be playing any Adrenaline Mob covers on our I&W25 tour! :)

[/ :facepalm: :loser:quote]

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: February 07, 2017, 01:59:27 PM »
Reports?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #93 on: February 07, 2017, 02:20:19 PM »
Reports?

Waiting for the show to start, should be any minute now.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #94 on: February 07, 2017, 02:29:49 PM »
All of Flying Colors here to start.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #95 on: February 07, 2017, 02:56:56 PM »
How weird would it be if they pulled out ACOS? DT and MP playing the song at the same time in their respective tours.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #96 on: February 07, 2017, 03:05:22 PM »
Mike, Neal, Pete, Ted, and Bill from theNMB starting some Transatlantic.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: February 07, 2017, 03:07:38 PM »
I don't really get any weirdness.  They both have entirely appropriate reasons for wanting to play it.  I think it would be cool if Mike did.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #98 on: February 07, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »
Mike, Neal, Pete, Ted, and Bill from theNMB starting some Transatlantic.

Can you be more specific?

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #99 on: February 07, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »
All the Flying Colors guys out first

Infinite Fire
Place in Your World
Kayla
Mask Machine

Everyone but Mike and Neal left the stage and they brought out Pete, announced Ted Leonard as Roine's replacement, and brought out Bill from the NMB as the utility fifth musician.

Into the Blue
We All Need Some Light Now
Stranger In Your Soul

Daniel Gildenlow came out to do vocals for the part he recorded on the album version of Into the Blue as well as contribute backing vocals for We All Need Some Light Now. Great set overall, seeing the end of Stranger In Your Soul live is always a borderline religious experience for me.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: February 07, 2017, 05:16:03 PM »
I don't really get any weirdness.  They both have entirely appropriate reasons for wanting to play it.  I think it would be cool if Mike did.

I think it would be a crazy coincidence and I would wonder if the either side (MP or DT) would find it odd, but as a fan, I don't think it would be weird or anything.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #101 on: February 07, 2017, 05:22:51 PM »

I think it would be a crazy coincidence and I would wonder if the either side (MP or DT) would find it odd, but as a fan, I don't think it would be weird or anything.

I wouldn't think so.  I mean, DT is celebrating the anniversary of the I&W era, and ACOS is an important part of that, so it is natural for them to play it.  MP is celebrating a milestone in his personal life by reflecting back on his musical career, so it would be natural for him to play it as well (I don't think he will, but it would be a no-brainer if he did).  I don't think either side would find it odd, or even find it to be a coincidence.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #102 on: February 07, 2017, 05:23:26 PM »
Given the timings I'm expecting the 12SS, The Best of Times, and A Change of Seasons on Friday night. I don't think there's any weirdness in both of them playing it at the same time.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #103 on: February 07, 2017, 07:17:46 PM »
Interesting that The Whirlwind was the one Transatlantic album to not get represented there, considering Portnoy thinks it's one of the three best records he's ever done.

Offline axeman90210

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #104 on: February 07, 2017, 07:29:21 PM »
Interesting that The Whirlwind was the one Transatlantic album to not get represented there, considering Portnoy thinks it's one of the three best records he's ever done.

Yeah, Nick and I had that conversation when talking about what the setlist might be.  Figured they might do the same medley from the Kaleidoscope tour since Ted would be familiar with it, but I guess maybe they didn't want to split it up.
Photobucket sucks.