Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210705 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Predictions for MP's Shattered Fortress Tour?
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 01:50:39 PM »
Mike has no interest in playing The Astonishing which is why he's just released a Double Concept Album !!!11

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 03:03:00 PM »
MP already confirmed (in a very classy way) that Derek won't be participating: https://worldprognation.com/be-prog-my-friend-to-feature-mike-portnoys-the-shattered-fortress/
I’ll just nip it in the bud now…Derek Sherinian has as much interest in playing Jordan-era DT music as I do playing The Astonishing! ;)

Geez. Of all the possible ways he could have said that.......

Anyway, it should be one band, it would be weird to have musicians coming and going, especially the singer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »
I didn't even think of Eric Gillette. It'll probably be him.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »
MP already confirmed (in a very classy way) that Derek won't be participating: https://worldprognation.com/be-prog-my-friend-to-feature-mike-portnoys-the-shattered-fortress/
I’ll just nip it in the bud now…Derek Sherinian has as much interest in playing Jordan-era DT music as I do playing The Astonishing! ;)

Geez. Of all the possible ways he could have said that.......

Anyway, it should be one band, it would be weird to have musicians coming and going, especially the singer.

Agreed. Seriously though, couldn't Mike just have said Derek wasn't going to be involved?! Why go out of your way to make a comment like that? Oh well, sounds about right    :lol

And I agree in regards to one band or multiple players coming in and out. I think it would work better to just have one group the whole way through.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2017, 03:38:02 PM »
I think MP puts his foot in his mouth quite frequently, but I don't find the Sherinian comment problematic at all.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2017, 03:40:50 PM »
I think MP puts his foot in his mouth quite frequently, but I don't find the Sherinian comment problematic at all.

I don't necessarily think it's problematic either, I just think it would have been way easier to simply say Derek wasn't going to be involved that's all. Doesn't really matter to me either way though.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2017, 03:54:20 PM »
Yeah Mike has to bring everything back to Dream Theater or to be about HIM.

But he's totally over Dream Theater guys.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
Not only is there nothing whatsoever wrong with that particular post of his, I think it's quite funny. People really need to lighten up and stop constantly looking for faults with MP.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2017, 07:20:21 PM »
Not only is there nothing whatsoever wrong with that particular post of his, I think it's quite funny. People really need to lighten up and stop constantly looking for faults with MP.

Is this directed at me? Once again, all I said was that he didn't need to say it, he could have just said Derek wasn't involved... I'm not looking for faults with MP at all.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2017, 07:22:04 PM »
Yea MP's post was funny. The usual suspects are once again overreacting.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2017, 11:59:14 PM »

Is this directed at me? Once again, all I said was that he didn't need to say it, he could have just said Derek wasn't involved... I'm not looking for faults with MP at all.
Not directed at any individual, though it was prompted by Kotow who ironically posted 4 times in 3 hours about how MP needs to move on. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2017, 01:52:36 AM »
Yea MP's post was funny. The usual suspects are once again overreacting.

I am usually firmly in that list of usual suspects, but that was just plain a funny comment by MP.

Then again, of course we all know MP secretly practices all post-MP albums to make the transition smooth.  ;D
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 01:59:41 AM by rumborak »
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2017, 04:54:27 AM »

Absolutely this.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
I think it'll sound good, but obviously, a bit different with JLB not singing. Frankly, I expect something along the lines of PSMS when they did DT songs. Pretty tight musically, but a little different, and a different voice presenting it. Wouldn't surprise me if PSMS was the actual band. As for singer, here is a prediction -- Nathan James of Inglorious, who opened for Winery Dogs last year. The man is my favorite singer right now. Just an amazing voice. He was on TSO for a couple of years, has sung for Uli Roth, and his band, Inglorious, released its debut record last year.

edited to fix spelling...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:23:32 AM by AnybodyListening.net »
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2017, 08:12:35 AM »
It's not a big deal to me, but the DT remark just feels unnecessary. He could've said the same thing without going into the "me vs them" zone for the billionth time.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
I think it'll sound good, but obviously, a bit different with JLB not singing. Frankly, I expect something along the lines of PSMS when they did DT songs. Pretty tight musically, but a little different, and a different voice presenting it. Wouldn't surprise me if PSMS was the actual band. As for singer, here is a prediction -- Natham James of Inglorious, who opened for Winery Dogs last year. The man is my favorite singer right now. Just an amazing voice. He was on TSO for a couple of years, has sung for Uli Roth, and his band, Inglorious, released its debut record last year.

As a fan of Inglorious, that would be a cool choice. He's definitely got the chops to pull it off vocally, and also not an obvious choice of someone within prog with that kind of voice.

I expect it will sound at least decent, but it really comes down to the musicians involved, and how they approach it. I think the JR parts will end up lacking, and they'll need a good prog metal guitarist to pull off all of those riffs and solos well. I'm excited either way to finally hear the entire 12SS in one go as intended.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2017, 08:23:28 AM »
It's not a big deal to me, but the DT remark just feels unnecessary. He could've said the same thing without going into the "me vs them" zone for the billionth time.

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say earlier, you worded it much better.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2017, 09:29:14 AM »

Exactly, that's what I was trying to say earlier, you worded it much better.

Yes. Exactly.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2017, 10:01:39 AM »
I dont think MP's remark was necessary, but when has MP ever bit his tongue? Just par for the course with him. It isnt something I would have said in his shoes, but it isnt a big deal, either.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »
I don't really understand what makes a remark necessary vs unnecessary. If people should only include "necessary" information and comment then this forum would be a pretty cold, dead place.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2017, 08:13:33 AM »
I don't really understand what makes a remark necessary vs unnecessary. If people should only include "necessary" information and comment then this forum would be a pretty cold, dead place.

True enough. But Mike's smart enough to know that even if he meant a comment in a more dead-panned, common sense way (meaning, he's never been a a part of that, why would he want to play it), the fans are absolutely going to run with it, making the comment become a little jab at DT, which he then could deny later. Mike's not dumb. But the antics are...unnecessary.  :lol

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2017, 11:46:40 AM »
Regarding Mike's "comment" - I don't see any issue, and in fact, his analogy is pretty spot-on now that I think about it more. Why would Derek want to play DT music from after his time in DT? True, he covered some LTE with PSMS, but I feel like that was a bit different, even though he was still covering Jordan's parts, but considering how far after Derek's time the 12SS came, I don't really see him wanting to cover it.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2017, 11:57:12 AM »
Dunno, maybe "uncalled for" would've been a better word(s) - we're playing with semantics here. :lol But anyway, my point is that even when he explained why Derek isn't involved, he couldn't resist making himself the center of attention and feeding the MP vs DT division once more: "Sorry, but Derek isn't interested in playing the parts of the dude who replaced him, for understandable reasons. Oh and btw, I was replaced by someone else in DT too, and they put out an album I don't care about lol."

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2017, 12:27:59 PM »
I cant BELIEVE Mike made another statement on the internet! What a fucking asshole! When will he learn???

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 01:29:39 PM »
I expect some good professional musicians who will pull it off just fine, maybe the vocals will be the most notable difference which I am sure will overall be fine and performed well, but open to a lot of criticism just like JLB is on this forum.  But as someone else pointed, most of the 12 step suite isn't that great so it's hard for me to think this is going to be something great.

It would be interesting if DT were also performing some of these songs on their tour.

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 01:32:14 PM »
I expect some good professional musicians who will pull it off just fine, maybe the vocals will be the most notable difference which I am sure will overall be fine and performed well, but open to a lot of criticism just like JLB is on this forum.  But as someone else pointed, most of the 12 step suite isn't that great so it's hard for me to think this is going to be something great.

It would be interesting if DT were also performing some of these songs on their tour.

My thought as well. The whole suite must be a chore to listen to in a row.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2017, 01:33:13 PM »
I'm curious what they'll do for the solos. Learning the riffs is one thing, learning those solos note for note is a different beast all together. Whoever he picks will likely be busy guys in general. I wonder if they'll just get the basic feel of the solo and improvise, like what Steve Morse did with Repentance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2017, 02:24:40 PM »
^ the solo in Repentance is by far the easiest solo in the whole 12SS. Regarding what Steve Morse did, I think it fits the general 'vibe' of Flying Colors better to improvise rather than copy note for note. If MP wants to do the entire 12SS as intended, I think he should also leave the solos intact
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2017, 02:30:08 PM »
^ Yeah I agree, I'd hope they try (key word there) to play everything note for note as best they possibly can.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2017, 02:35:45 PM »
The project will probably be OK.

MP's comment was hilarious and there is nothing wrong with it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2017, 02:40:03 PM »
I wonder how much preparation this thing will get. These types of short-lived projects have a tendency to be "everybody practices at home, then we meet the day before the first gig and iron out the obvious kinks". The first few gigs are then somewhat rough around the edges.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2017, 02:49:27 PM »
But "the first few gigs" is all that there will ever be for this kind of project. I would assume Mike wouldn't want his deeply personal, longtime project to be remembered as a sloppy trainwreck.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2017, 02:50:05 PM »
What is the tour exactly?  I only knew of the ProgPower show and the Cruise.

Offline ?

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2017, 02:51:13 PM »
I wonder how much preparation this thing will get. These types of short-lived projects have a tendency to be "everybody practices at home, then we meet the day before the first gig and iron out the obvious kinks". The first few gigs are then somewhat rough around the edges.
Yeah, and some of these shows are months apart from each other, which makes it pretty challenging for the musicians to become a tight unit unless they rehearse a lot together. However, I'm confident that everyone in the line-up is a capable player and that this won't be a trainwreck like Geoff Tate's version of Queensryche.
What is the tour exactly?  I only knew of the ProgPower show and the Cruise.
https://bravewords.com/news/mike-portnoy-s-shattered-fortress-confirms-mexico-city-show-for-september-2017
Confirmed Shattered Fortress shows so far:

February
7 - 11 - Cruise To The Edge

June
30th - Barcelona, Spain - Be Prog My Friend

July
14 - Loreley, Germany - Night Of The Prog

September
8 - Atlanta, GA - Prog Power USA
10 - Mexico City, Mexico - El Plaza Condesa

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
Yea, not much of a tour per say, just select shows which are all spread out too.  Do we know if he plans on using the same musicians at all shows that may be difficult with being so spread out and I am assuming he is looking at active musicians (but maybe I am wrong).