Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210714 times)

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« on: January 01, 2017, 10:46:08 AM »
I'm curious as to how you all think the MP Shattered Fortress tour is going to go? I'm nervous for MP, and I don't know why. Certainly he'll have the talent level in musicians to pull it off, but I can't help but think that there is a slim margin there where it's going to sound and come off really great.....or it's going to be kind of campy? I don't know....very curious as to how it's going to go.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 01:43:36 PM by Nick »
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Predictions for MP's Shattered Fortress Tour?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 10:54:44 AM »
I think that, aside from The Glass Prison, the whole thing is some of the worst music DT ever made. So I doubt it would come off any worse for me. And he'll definitely have high-level musicians. I just don't know how many people would really be interested in it. What size venues are they playing?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 11:11:46 AM »
As for size of the venues, he's playing some big prog festivals in Europe.

I'm more interested in who the rest of the band is than anything else though. Based on that I'll decide whether I think it will sound good (which it probably will).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 11:14:50 AM »
I'm glad the suite will be played, but it's probably going to come off as a DT cover band. A really good one probably, but still a cover band. MP has a lot of personality in his playing and sticks out in most of his musical projects, but after all that he is still the drummer. It will feel lacking without DT.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 11:17:28 AM »
.....or it's going to be kind of campy? 

It's MP, so of course it will be campy. I don't even mean that derogatorily.

I think it'll be cool. I think, in general, people should just relax and enjoy it for what it is. (not aimed at the OP)

I think that, aside from The Glass Prison, the whole thing is some of the worst music DT ever made. 

I love This Dying Soul. IMO, The Glass Prison is one of DT's worst aging songs. Just my opinion.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »
I am sure he will get good musicians to play it, but the suite itself as a whole isn't that great, so I can't imagine it coming off that well.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2017, 11:29:45 AM »
Are they playing more than the suite?

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2017, 11:38:20 AM »
This Dying soul is one of my favorite DT songs. Absolutely LOVE it. I also like glass prison.

The rest of the songs that are apart of the suite I don't care for at all.

Online Adami

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2017, 11:43:23 AM »
Also, do you guys think they'll play Repentance post-solo?

I know whenever they've played it live (be it DT or Flying Colors) they always ended it there.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2017, 11:45:21 AM »
It will be awesome. Since Dream Theater all composed the music, there will be something just a tad off for me, but it will still be very enjoyable. I love MP's suite and it will be awesome to hear. :)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »

I know whenever they've played it live (be it DT or Flying Colors) they always ended it there.
I'm interested to see how they do that transition in general. The other tracks are pretty straightforward and it isn't hard to find where the transitions are supposed to be. The transition from Repentance to Shattered Fortress is left a bit more ambiguous. There are a bunch of different directions they could go there.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

I'm interested to see how they do that transition in general. The other tracks are pretty straightforward and it isn't hard to find where the transitions are supposed to be. The transition from Repentance to Shattered Fortress is left a bit more ambiguous. There are a bunch of different directions they could go there.

Agreed. But I think they will play the suite in entirety including the post Repentance solo since it's his major step in life.

Online Adami

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2017, 11:48:10 AM »

Yea, live for sure. I know when I made my super-edit of the studio versions, I did a cross from a fadeout of Repentance and the fade in for TSF, and it worked really well.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:07 AM »
I am sure that when all of the legal stuff was sorted out when he left the band, Portnoy made sure he could use the apologies from fellow musicians in Repentance if he were ever to play the whole thing live like he is doing now, so I am sure those will be a part of it.

Online Adami

« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2017, 11:53:56 AM »
I am sure that when all of the legal stuff was sorted out when he left the band, Portnoy made sure he could use the apologies from fellow musicians in Repentance if he were ever to play the whole thing live like he is doing now, so I am sure those will be a part of it.

Maybe, but then there's the 40 minutes of vocal harmonies that need to be perfect to work.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2017, 11:56:13 AM »

Maybe, but then there's the 40 minutes of vocal harmonies that need to be perfect to work.

Heh, true. I hope he is smart enough to not use the guy from Haken, like many have speculated he will.  He doesn't have the voice to pull off DT songs.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
I'm glad the suite will be played, but it's probably going to come off as a DT cover band. A really good one probably, but still a cover band. MP has a lot of personality in his playing and sticks out in most of his musical projects, but after all that he is still the drummer. It will feel lacking without DT.

Basically this.

Are they playing more than the suite?

When time allows, yes, it has been confirmed. Other songs Portnoy wrote lyrics for.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2017, 02:15:30 PM »

Heh, true. I hope he is smart enough to not use the guy from Haken, like many have speculated he will.  He doesn't have the voice to pull off DT songs.

Exactly. He's good for Haken, but that's all about it for me.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2017, 10:43:23 PM »
Yeah, I love Ross, but don't see him doing particularly well with a full set of Dream Theater material.

Just based on the festivals that they've booked together it's painfully obvious that at least one member of Haken will be a part of this. My strong money on who that will be is Diego. He's friends with both Jordan and Mike, can play the material, and can handle any of the off the wall instruments and such that Jordan has used for other material that might be played. Others I'm not so sure about, but I feel good about Diego on keys.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2017, 12:13:57 AM »
As I said somewhere else, I hope that he gets good musicians and that they don't try to play the suite note by note but with a different/personal interpretation. Then it could get really interesting.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 08:29:27 AM »
I think that, aside from The Glass Prison, the whole thing is some of the worst music DT ever made.

I actually think it could be an *excellent* epic if somebody (MP) sat down and curated the whole thing. There's fluff, there's repetition, if he cut that out it could be an awesome 30 minutes of music.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2017, 08:47:42 AM »
Glass Prison - Great
This Dying Soul - Good but goes on a bit
The Root of All Evil - Great
Repentance - Yawn
The Shattered Fortress - Good but nothing new.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2017, 08:54:12 AM »
I had a dream last night that I saw this band perform, and instrumentally at least they sounded spot on. Don't recall any vocals or who the other band members were as I was focusing on Mike.

I feel like if he managed to get Eric Gillette, Derek Sherinian, and idk, Tony Levin? They'd  be more than capable of getting the sound right.
As for vocals, no idea. Love him or hate him, James Labrie has a unique voice that's basically impossible to do an impression of.  But I think with this aggressive style of music  (the entire AA-Suite is more or less just heavy/thrash prog), Mike could use his friends in Metal Allegience? Mark Osegueda in particular. Maybe Russell Allen too (fingers crossed, lol). Are Mike and Russ still friends? Haven't heard much about the two of them talking since AMob.

I actually think it could be an *excellent* epic if somebody (MP) sat down and curated the whole thing. There's fluff, there's repetition, if he cut that out it could be an awesome 30 minutes of music.

The only problem here is that it's kind of important to include basically every single lyric and play all the repeating riffs in order to establish some continuity in the entire thing. Otherwise the reprises in Shattered Fortress (song) probably wont work.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2017, 08:59:10 AM »
I think the reprises, when played back to back, are too much in its current form. I remember listening to the 12SS once, and there was a lot of "I just heard that riff a minute ago".
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2017, 09:10:23 AM »
It has the same problem of binge watching TV show compared versus watching one episode a week after it's being aired.

Seven years after it's cool to hear Shattered Fortress and remembering all the songs, but when you hear it all in a row, it's kinda repetitive. Even though I personally don't dislike the song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2017, 10:55:40 AM »
I think the reprises, when played back to back, are too much in its current form. I remember listening to the 12SS once, and there was a lot of "I just heard that riff a minute ago".
Definitely. It's far, far too repetitive.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2017, 11:16:16 AM »
Yeah, I love Ross, but don't see him doing particularly well with a full set of Dream Theater material.

Just based on the festivals that they've booked together it's painfully obvious that at least one member of Haken will be a part of this. My strong money on who that will be is Diego. He's friends with both Jordan and Mike, can play the material, and can handle any of the off the wall instruments and such that Jordan has used for other material that might be played. Others I'm not so sure about, but I feel good about Diego on keys.
No comment. ;)

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2017, 12:35:48 PM »

No comment. ;)

You dirty inside rat.  BTW I talked about you to the boys.  I sexed you up with them. Not that you needed it. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online The Letter M

« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2017, 12:40:38 PM »
I was thinking about this the other day, about who MP would get to play, and I have to wonder - will the band be ONE band, or will they have multiple players swap about? For instance, he could get one guitarist for the show whole, or perhaps they trade off between songs? Then I started thinking about which guitarists MP could get, and Eric Gillette came to mind, with his JP-inspired sounds, but there's also Paul Gilbert, who has played with MP on various live shows to cover other bands (which this is basically a cover band), but there's also Tony MacAlpine from MP's PSMS project.

I figure MP might try and get Derek, though does Derek have the chops and sounds to keep up with Jordan's parts for those songs? I haven't heard Derek play in some years, so I'm not sure what he's up to.

As for bassists, MP knows a SLEW of them, all really good, so I'm not that concerned on that end.

My BIGGEST concern is who he'll get to sing, and this is where I wouldn't mind having multiple vocalists. Maybe one for each song, or perhaps, one for each of the 12 movements/steps of the suite? That would be interesting, since each movement has vocals in them.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online Adami

« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2017, 12:45:57 PM »
Picking Derek to play all JR songs would be.....interesting and would do a lot to shut up his critics, I'd be good with it. I think he could keep up.

I hope he doesn't pick MacAlpine though. Just cannot get into that dude's tone. I doubt I'd even listen to what they do if he's a part of it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2017, 12:52:39 PM »
MP already confirmed (in a very classy way) that Derek won't be participating: https://worldprognation.com/be-prog-my-friend-to-feature-mike-portnoys-the-shattered-fortress/
I’ll just nip it in the bud now…Derek Sherinian has as much interest in playing Jordan-era DT music as I do playing The Astonishing! ;)

Online Adami

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2017, 12:53:40 PM »
 :rollin
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2017, 12:54:14 PM »

My BIGGEST concern is who he'll get to sing, and this is where I wouldn't mind having multiple vocalists. Maybe one for each song, or perhaps, one for each of the 12 movements/steps of the suite? That would be interesting, since each movement has vocals in them.

That's a cool idea.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 12:57:46 PM »
MP already confirmed (in a very classy way) that Derek won't be participating: https://worldprognation.com/be-prog-my-friend-to-feature-mike-portnoys-the-shattered-fortress/
I’ll just nip it in the bud now…Derek Sherinian has as much interest in playing Jordan-era DT music as I do playing The Astonishing! ;)

Guess he won't be re-joining the band then !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 01:01:42 PM »
John Petrucci ‏@JPetrucci  02 Jan 2017

Thanks Mike ! We won't be playing any Adrenaline Mob covers on our I&W25 tour! :)