Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212656 times)

Offline Lynxo

• It hurts when I poo
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #980 on: June 20, 2017, 04:04:04 AM »
Anybody knows why it "breaks his heart" that DT plays that one? I mean, I get that its personal but they've played it a lots of times before and in this scenario, where they're playing I&W in its entirety, it certainly makes a lot of sense to play it as an encore, given that it was supposed to be on the album.

I'm pretty sure that it breaks his heart that he can't play it because people would call him a copycat, not that DT are playing it.
Yeah, that makes sense. I don't agree that he shouldn't play it but I get it.
Lynxo cured my bad breath with his penis.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #981 on: June 20, 2017, 08:23:30 AM »
I get where he's coming from.  But as mentioned elsewhere, there's still no reason why he can't play it and plenty of reason why he should.  So if he doesn't play it, that's on him.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #982 on: June 20, 2017, 08:33:07 AM »
I get where he's coming from.  But as mentioned elsewhere, there's still no reason why he can't play it and plenty of reason why he should.  So if he doesn't play it, that's on him.

Yup, I think this was discussed in another thread, but basically what Bosk said.

Also, I find it weird people would rather see a cover band (don't kill me over the term, it's the best label for this, IMO) play ACOS than DT play ACOS.  :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #983 on: June 20, 2017, 08:46:33 AM »
I voted for the middle option, but honestly, I don't see why both bands shouldn't just embrace it and do it. It's not a copycat thing. Mike wrote the lyrics to ACOS. It's his words, and I am sure he was instrumental in guiding the music along with the band. Who cares if DT is playing it too? Just play it. Give people a chance to hear the song.

One thing over the last several years I've learned is to just enjoy the music. People get way too pissy over who is playing what and why, instead of just going and immersing yourself in the songs you love and just enjoying it. I was guilty of that for a long, long time, and I let it go. I think more people need to.

Whether it is Shattered Fortress, MP's new prog metal band, or DT playing DT songs, just enjoy it and get swept away in the moment. That's what music is for -- a release.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #984 on: June 20, 2017, 09:27:34 AM »
I voted for the middle option, but honestly, I don't see why both bands shouldn't just embrace it and do it. It's not a copycat thing. Mike wrote the lyrics to ACOS. It's his words, and I am sure he was instrumental in guiding the music along with the band. Who cares if DT is playing it too? Just play it. Give people a chance to hear the song.

One thing over the last several years I've learned is to just enjoy the music. People get way too pissy over who is playing what and why, instead of just going and immersing yourself in the songs you love and just enjoying it. I was guilty of that for a long, long time, and I let it go. I think more people need to.

Whether it is Shattered Fortress, MP's new prog metal band, or DT playing DT songs, just enjoy it and get swept away in the moment. That's what music is for -- a release.

I agree.  And I'll take what you said in the first paragraph up a notch:  Not only should he play it, but since the song went through so many different permutations through the years, he should do a different arrangement of it.  That would not only be a treat for fans, but would eliminate some of the comparison aspect.  And if either of the two entities (DT or an MP-led project) were to change up a song and do a different arrangement, it would be the MP side to do it.  He loves doing that kind of thing.  So he should either break out an earlier version of it, or do a different arrangement, or something.  But, yeah, just do it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #985 on: June 20, 2017, 09:42:43 AM »
While I can see you guys' argument, I think MP maybe rightly perceives that there's a significant danger that his rendition would be perceived as the "lesser version". MP has so far stayed away from overtly competing with DT, and I think this is another iteration of that.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #986 on: June 20, 2017, 09:43:54 AM »

I agree.  And I'll take what you said in the first paragraph up a notch:  Not only should he play it, but since the song went through so many different permutations through the years, he should do a different arrangement of it.  That would not only be a treat for fans, but would eliminate some of the comparison aspect.  And if either of the two entities (DT or an MP-led project) were to change up a song and do a different arrangement, it would be the MP side to do it.  He loves doing that kind of thing.  So he should either break out an earlier version of it, or do a different arrangement, or something.  But, yeah, just do it.

Two great posts right here. i bet that if Mike´s band played this song as an encore, not many people in the audience would go "oh, no, but DT is already playing this one on their current tour, so bummer...". Most of us would go "holy sh*t!!!!! A Change of Seasons!?!?! Fcuck yeah!!!"

Come on, MP, I know you read this forum...please play ACOS with The Shattered Fortress!!!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #987 on: June 20, 2017, 09:46:19 AM »

Yup, I think this was discussed in another thread, but basically what Bosk said.

Also, I find it weird people would rather see a cover band (don't kill me over the term, it's the best label for this, IMO) play ACOS than DT play ACOS.  :lol

I think we have to "kill" you over the term.  I'm not sure how that fits at all, unless your definition of "cover" is "version without the guy that sang the original version".    I would much rather hear Mike play this than DT, all day long (and I think James is integral to the sound of DT).

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #988 on: June 20, 2017, 09:50:07 AM »

Two great posts right here. i bet that if Mike´s band played this song as an encore, not many people in the audience would go "oh, no, but DT is already playing this one on their current tour, so bummer...". Most of us would go "holy sh*t!!!!! A Change of Seasons!?!?! Fcuck yeah!!!"

Come on, MP, I know you read this forum...please play ACOS with The Shattered Fortress!!!!

This!!!

But if doesn't play ACOS, The Best of Times or Honor Thy Father he's only left with:

The Mirror
New Millenium
Just Let me Breathe
Strange Deja vu
Home
Finally Free
War Inside my Head
The Test That Stumped them all
Goodnight Kiss
Never Enough
Constant Motion

Its probably going to be a 2 hour set so theres not room for many surprises

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #989 on: June 20, 2017, 10:44:09 AM »

I think we have to "kill" you over the term.  I'm not sure how that fits at all, unless your definition of "cover" is "version without the guy that sang the original version".    I would much rather hear Mike play this than DT, all day long (and I think James is integral to the sound of DT).

Kill away. Not sure what else to call it. At its core its a guy that used to be the drummer in a band, who is no longer in that band, playing that band's song with a bunch of other random musicians. For the record, I don't mean for the term cover band to have a negative meaning in this instance, that's just what I see it as, not making a statement for or against the group.

Also in fairness, I'm pretty sure you'd rather hear MP fart on stage for 2 hours than see Bonham come back from the dead and have Led Zepp perform a private concert for you and yours in your backyard.  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #990 on: June 20, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Kill away. Not sure what else to call it. At its core its a guy that used to be the drummer in a band, who is no longer in that band, playing that band's song with a bunch of other random musicians. For the record, I don't mean for the term cover band to have a negative meaning in this instance, that's just what I see it as, not making a statement for or against the group.

Indeed, there's nothing wrong with calling it a cover band, which is what it is (or MP + drummerless Haken + Eric "JP jr." Gillette). Even Mike would agree on that.

About the "breaks my heart" thing, I think he's taking it too far. The song is very personal? Yes. The band has played it a lot of times through the years? Yes. Are they playing it in a disrespectful way to him? No. Did he write the lyrics? Yes. Did he write all the music? Not at all, this is a DT song, not a MP song.
Following his logic, they should've never played PMU, WFS, 6:00 or any other song with KM lyrics after he left.

Btw, I also think he should definitely go for it and play ACOS of he wants to. It's his song as much as it's theirs and, as he said on that interview, the Haken guys are more than capable of nailing it note for note, so that would be a great experience fans, given that this is a "one time
even for selected markets only", it's the best/probably only chance at playing it that way.
However, if he doesn't end up playing ACOS, my bet is he plays Finally Free. It fits as the epic closer for the set and it's the best, imo, out of the songs with his lyrics that he's left with, which most of them have already been played by DT with Mangini anyway.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #991 on: June 20, 2017, 12:07:36 PM »

I agree with Bosk as well on your first point, and think MP should have played the song as planned. As much as it does absolutely make sense for Dream Theater to play it now, it makes just as much sense for it to be his grand finale to these shows.

As for your second, I'm not sure why you're surprised. Comparing performances and general concert enjoyment against the last two Dream Theater tours I'd say far better were both Neal Morse Band tours I saw, the Transatlantic tour I saw, and the Shattered Fortress show I saw. Right now the projects Mike have going are far more enjoyable live than a Dream Theater show as a general rule. I don't even see it as a close contest. And they typically pull that off with fewer resources. 

Portnoy has his issues with social media and general public perception issues, but the man knows how to orchestrate a great show. In comparison I viewed my last Dream Theater concert, which was front row, to... I'm not even going to go there because I've always loved the band and hope this is just a rough patch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #992 on: June 20, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »

Also in fairness, I'm pretty sure you'd rather hear MP fart on stage for 2 hours than see Bonham come back from the dead and have Led Zepp perform a private concert for you and yours in your backyard.  :biggrin:

Actually, no, but it's close, so point taken.  :)   

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #993 on: June 20, 2017, 12:37:29 PM »
As for your second, I'm not sure why you're surprised. Comparing performances and general concert enjoyment against the last two Dream Theater tours I'd say far better were both Neal Morse Band tours I saw, the Transatlantic tour I saw, and the Shattered Fortress show I saw. Right now the projects Mike have going are far more enjoyable live than a Dream Theater show as a general rule. I don't even see it as a close contest. And they typically pull that off with fewer resources. 

Did the Neal Morse Band and Transatlantic cover DT songs at those shows? I'm guessing they played the music written by those groups, so what you are basically saying is that right now you like those groups more than DT. That's totally cool and a perfectly valid opinion, but doesn't get anywhere other than your specific personal preference at the moment. I conversely would be much more interested to see DT in concert performing DT songs than seeing NMB, just my preference. But I'd rather see NMB playing NMB songs than DT playing NMB songs. I think that makes sense.  :lol

Portnoy has his issues with social media and general public perception issues, but the man knows how to orchestrate a great show. In comparison I viewed my last Dream Theater concert, which was front row, to... I'm not even going to go there because I've always loved the band and hope this is just a rough patch.

With all due respect to MP and to you (I do respect your opinion) I disagree. But it's based on nothing but my preference and opinion. I consider the tours with MM better shows than the ones I saw on the SC tour and the BC&SL tour. Different strokes for different folks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #994 on: June 20, 2017, 12:37:59 PM »
Actually, no, but it's close, so point taken.  :)
:lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #995 on: June 20, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »

I agree with Bosk as well on your first point, and think MP should have played the song as planned. As much as it does absolutely make sense for Dream Theater to play it now, it makes just as much sense for it to be his grand finale to these shows.

I'm with you on that.   I saw The Winery Dogs on opening night of the second tour, and it was stellar; I saw DT for The Astonishing, and well, it was far more special for the meetup before (and during, and after, when I met several forumers) than anything that happened on stage. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #996 on: June 20, 2017, 07:39:05 PM »
so what you are basically saying is that right now you like those groups more than DT.

I literally worded my post with the intention to NOT say that. It's not at all what I was saying, or I would have said I preferred the setlist or material more, which while true in most of those cases, wasn't the point. I specifically said I liked the performance more.

What I am basically saying it, material aside, if you told me would you rather watch a performance from Dream Theater, or a performance with band where Portnoy has a strong hand in things, I'm going with the latter choice every time right now.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #997 on: June 20, 2017, 10:16:37 PM »
I think there's a valid point that DT's renditions of songs have been very safe. That is, at this point, because they almost never modify their own songs, there are "canonical renditions" of almost every DT song that will be better than whatever you are witnessing live.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #998 on: June 21, 2017, 12:11:27 AM »
People get way too pissy over who is playing what and why, instead of just going and immersing yourself in the songs you love and just enjoying it.

This ffs.. I mean, we're all free to express when we aren't comfortable with something... but actually giving that more relevance than the positive feelings?.. If you don't have them, then [Mullmuzzler 1] :facepalm:

But if doesn't play ACOS, The Best of Times or Honor Thy Father he's only left with:

The Mirror
New Millenium
Burning My Soul
Just Let me Breathe
Strange Deja vu
Home
Finally Free
War Inside my Head
Goodnight Kiss
Never Enough
Constant Motion

Fixed.. Now that's the full list I think..

Since The Mirror is an important song to both the 12SS and the Haken/MP connection, I think it's a likely choice... but then it'd make sense if they play it before the Suite right?.. That'd feel right and wrong at the same time if you know what I mean..

"That being said, there's plenty of other songs that I wrote lyrics to in the Dream Theater catalogue to work with. There's literally twenty – thirty [well they're not that much after all ::) MP doing his MP thing I guess] songs of mine to choose from for the Shattered Fortress set, for example 'Constant Motion', 'Finally Free', 'New Millennium', 'The Test That Stumped Them All'."

Did he just tell us the songs they're gonna play?.. It sounded to me like if he did..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #999 on: June 21, 2017, 12:17:16 AM »
I'd be happy if he played Finally Free. That would very likely be an improvement over the more recent DT live rendition.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1000 on: June 21, 2017, 01:31:20 AM »
Why does MP think it has to be a DT song he wrote the lyrics for? He can play anything, since he's not the sole writer of the music either. I'd like to see Haken take on Metropolis or Learning to Live, bring it on!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1001 on: June 21, 2017, 05:56:07 AM »
That's what I thought as well, why limit it to only songs where he wrote the lyrics for? He was an intregral part of the band and could therefore justify any song, not that he needs to justify what he's playing.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1002 on: June 21, 2017, 07:35:36 AM »
so what you are basically saying is that right now you like those groups more than DT.

I literally worded my post with the intention to NOT say that. It's not at all what I was saying, or I would have said I preferred the setlist or material more, which while true in most of those cases, wasn't the point. I specifically said I liked the performance more.

What I am basically saying it, material aside, if you told me would you rather watch a performance from Dream Theater, or a performance with band where Portnoy has a strong hand in things, I'm going with the latter choice every time right now.

Hmm, okay so what you are basically saying is that right now you like seeing those groups put on a show more than DT. That's cool. But once again, I was trying to make the point that those groups were performing their original material, not covers, that kinda makes a big difference to me. It doesn't sound like it does for you and that's fine, but it does for me.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1003 on: June 21, 2017, 08:59:47 AM »
I kind of really want to see this band shred up the instrumental section of Constant Motion.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1004 on: June 21, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »

Hmm, okay so what you are basically saying is that right now you like seeing those groups put on a show more than DT. That's cool. But once again, I was trying to make the point that those groups were performing their original material, not covers, that kinda makes a big difference to me. It doesn't sound like it does for you and that's fine, but it does for me.

My unwanted .02 -- define "groups performing their original material." Yeah, technically, you're right. But only 3/5 of the band that recorded that material is doing so (depending on what the songs are). Those lines are so blurred now with so many bands.

I mean, who cares if it is Dream Theater (as currently constituted) or MP with another band? The latter is always going to be, with Mike involved, great musicians capable of doing the songs justice, and depending on who sings, even better in some cases (with no offense at all to JLB, the voice is obviously a touch thing from night to night).

I see what Nick was getting at -- MP's involvement, and the way he goes about putting on a show and making calls on what to do, creatively and performance-wise, are more entertaining at this point than the more sterile vibe DT has nowadays. And it's not that one is better than the other, or historically, one is preferred over one another. It's just from an entertainment value, MP-related prog metal is a bit more exciting at the moment. Nothing wrong with that.

Plus, (apologies Nick, if I am misspeaking here) Haken is one of Nick's favorite bands right now. So to have guys from that band involved, obviously makes the show a ton more exciting. It'd be like me if say Alter Bridge brought Chris DeGarmo on stage, and those guys performed Queensryche stuff -- I'd totally be more excited for that than I would current QR or Tate. Not because I think they are better than the original band, but because it's exciting and a fresh take on something I love, but with still one of the masterminds of that stuff I love in control of it.

I totally get it. Music is music, just go enjoy it. No need to be so rigid on likes and dislikes...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1005 on: June 21, 2017, 09:33:37 AM »
My unwanted .02 -- define "groups performing their original material." Yeah, technically, you're right. But only 3/5 of the band that recorded that material is doing so (depending on what the songs are). Those lines are so blurred now with so many bands.
First off, it obviously depends what songs we are talking about, but I think your thinking too much about this. There is a band called Dream Theater. They put out albums under that name. They write original material that goes on those albums. Those are Dream Theater songs. Let's not pretend because a drummer and keys player left that those songs they contributed lyrics for our their songs, they are still Dream Theater songs plain and simple, no question.

I mean, who cares if it is Dream Theater (as currently constituted) or MP with another band? The latter is always going to be, with Mike involved, great musicians capable of doing the songs justice, and depending on who sings, even better in some cases (with no offense at all to JLB, the voice is obviously a touch thing from night to night).
I'm more interested in seeing the original artist in this specific instance performing their material, not other musicians covering songs, that's all I was saying. I totally agree MP does a great job of playing the songs, finding good players to cover the other parts, he still puts on an incredible show and he still knows how to promo and hustle a show without question. Whether you think the dude from Haken sings better than James is totally up to you, once again that's just personal opinion.

I see what Nick was getting at -- MP's involvement, and the way he goes about putting on a show and making calls on what to do, creatively and performance-wise, are more entertaining at this point than the more sterile vibe DT has nowadays. And it's not that one is better than the other, or historically, one is preferred over one another. It's just from an entertainment value, MP-related prog metal is a bit more exciting at the moment. Nothing wrong with that.
Once again, I can totally see what you are saying, but as someone who absolutely adored TA tour and performance, I would respectfully disagree because, to me, that show was incredibly entertaining.

Plus, (apologies Nick, if I am misspeaking here) Haken is one of Nick's favorite bands right now. So to have guys from that band involved, obviously makes the show a ton more exciting. It'd be like me if say Alter Bridge brought Chris DeGarmo on stage, and those guys performed Queensryche stuff -- I'd totally be more excited for that than I would current QR or Tate. Not because I think they are better than the original band, but because it's exciting and a fresh take on something I love, but with still one of the masterminds of that stuff I love in control of it.
Oh I get that, and I'm not as into Haken, so that probably makes a big difference. Good example with AB and Chris, I hear what you are saying.

I totally get it. Music is music, just go enjoy it. No need to be so rigid on likes and dislikes...
Was I being rigid? All I was trying to say is that I personally would rather see DT play DT songs. How's that rigid? I'm not hating or bashing anyone for wanting to see this SF show, if he was coming near me I'd go see it in a heartbeat it'll be a great show.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1006 on: June 21, 2017, 06:07:24 PM »
People get way too pissy over who is playing what and why, instead of just going and immersing yourself in the songs you love and just enjoying it.

This ffs.. I mean, we're all free to express when we aren't comfortable with something... but actually giving that more relevance than the positive feelings?.. If you don't have them, then [Mullmuzzler 1] :facepalm:

The Mirror
New Millenium
Burning My Soul
Just Let me Breathe
Strange Deja vu
Home
Finally Free
War Inside my Head
Goodnight Kiss
Never Enough
Constant Motion

Fixed.. Now that's the full list I think..

Since The Mirror is an important song to both the 12SS and the Haken/MP connection, I think it's a likely choice... but then it'd make sense if they play it before the Suite right?.. That'd feel right and wrong at the same time if you know what I mean..

"That being said, there's plenty of other songs that I wrote lyrics to in the Dream Theater catalogue to work with. There's literally twenty – thirty [well they're not that much after all ::) MP doing his MP thing I guess] songs of mine to choose from for the Shattered Fortress set, for example 'Constant Motion', 'Finally Free', 'New Millennium', 'The Test That Stumped Them All'."

Did he just tell us the songs they're gonna play?.. It sounded to me like if he did..

Ah forgot about Burning my Soul! thank you :)

I'm still bummed out that we'll never see 'The Best of Times' ever played live one of Petrucci's best Solo's of all time. But looking at the remaining songs left I'd guess something like this:

Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
The Root of all Evil
Repentance
Shattered Fortress
The Mirror
Strange Deja Vu
Just Let me Breath
War Inside My Head
The Test that Stumped them All
Goodnight Kiss
Home
Constant Motion
Finally Free

I think Finally free is the logical closer there's nothing else that could of been used, Constant Motion with 3 guitars would sound incredible along with MP's vocals once again. The Mirror is definitely a given considering the subject matter and Haken have already played it with MP.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1007 on: June 21, 2017, 08:23:04 PM »
Maybe they will play Raise the Knife? C'mon, a DT setlist made by MP must have a cool B-side! :metal :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1008 on: June 21, 2017, 08:26:02 PM »
Maybe they will play Raise the Knife? C'mon, a DT setlist made by MP must have a cool B-side! :metal :tup

I'll doubt that, but only because of time constraints. Once he finishes the suite, he doesn't have a ton of time and will want to hit the big ones. I doubt he'll give up some of the bigger songs to play a 10 or whatever minute song a lot of people there won't know.

Not that I like that idea, since Raise the Knife (at least the live version) is one of my fav DT songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1009 on: June 21, 2017, 09:03:17 PM »
Why does MP think it has to be a DT song he wrote the lyrics for? He can play anything, since he's not the sole writer of the music either. I'd like to see Haken take on Metropolis or Learning to Live, bring it on!

Absolutely!.. And, moreover, he can play literally anything, can't he?.. A cover would be great too.. Maybe a Haken song?.. And I like the idea of playing Raise the Knife too..

Man, actually, now that I'm saying all this and think about it, any kind of set would be great with such a premise (12SS and some DT songs)!.. I won't complain even if they play New Millenium three times in a row... I mean, because how avant-garde that would be?.. :lol
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1010 on: June 22, 2017, 09:41:38 AM »
So you all think he will open with the 12SS and not close with it? Or end the show before encore with it? 

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1011 on: June 22, 2017, 09:46:51 AM »
So you all think he will open with the 12SS and not close with it? Or end the show before encore with it?

I think he'll open with it then play a selection of DT songs after ending with Finally Free or Home

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1012 on: June 22, 2017, 12:11:42 PM »

Absolutely!.. And, moreover, he can play literally anything, can't he?.. A cover would be great too.. Maybe a Haken song?.. And I like the idea of playing Raise the Knife too..

Man, actually, now that I'm saying all this and think about it, any kind of set would be great with such a premise (12SS and some DT songs)!.. I won't complain even if they play New Millenium three times in a row... I mean, because how avant-garde that would be?.. :lol

I wouldn't be surprised if they play 1 or 2 Haken songs as this tour is a great opportunity for them to play for a bigger audience and take their career to the next level.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1013 on: June 22, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Please no Haken songs.  Not that I dislike Haken, but this is not really about them.  Also, for me, both the Haken and MP shows are 3 weeks apart in NYC so as a fan, I'd rather those two shows to not be intertwined in a way.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1014 on: June 22, 2017, 12:29:23 PM »
On the contrary, I would love them to include some Haken songs. Haken isn't huge so they never came to Russia before. I'm not saying they should do a lot, but one or two songs would be great to hear.

I just hope it's not Cockroach King.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.