Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212036 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #735 on: March 09, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Honestly this is one of the many reasons why DT will probably never have MP come back even if MM left.  Even if MP prioritized Dream Theater, there would always be this underlying tension that his mind was elsewhere or if some great opportunity came up they may have to pass because he had a Metal Allegiance show scheduled in the Ukraine or something. 
That is always a possibility, but maybe not. Keep in mind that he did juggle things properly for roughly 10 years while he was still in DT. DT just always was the priority and everything else fit inbetween. Not to say that maybe there was a missed opportunity or two for DT while he was in the band, but I'd imagine those would be rare. DT's not the type of band to do a single gig or two in some far-flung country without already having a proper tour and schedule established that it could fit within.

Even though Jordan was joking when he said, "He has no time for us.  He's in so many bands."  I have to wonder if Jordan wasn't being a little bit more than half serious.
Good point.

I dunno.  I'm speculating here, but I get the impression that at least some of the band members weren't happy with the quantity of outside projects Mike had going on.  I don't know that to be the case, and I don't feel that it is my place to ask that sort of thing.  But that's the feeling I get.  But if that is the case, then you have to understand the difference in relationship dynamics now vs. then.  When you are in a relationship with someone, if they are continuing to engage in something that bothers you, you may still tolerate it for the sake of preserving the relationship.  You sacrifice certain things for the sake of continuing on and being happy.  But it's different if you don't have that relationship and you are considering whether you want to take on someone's baggage that you don't like and entering into a relationship with them.  So what I'm saying is, if they didn't like Mike being involved in so many side projects (again, merely an assumption), I wouldn't just rely on past history to assume it would all be fine going forward if he wanted to come back.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #736 on: March 09, 2017, 09:01:11 AM »
I'm speculating here, but I get the impression that at least some of the band members weren't happy with the quantity of outside projects Mike had going on.  I don't know that to be the case, and I don't feel that it is my place to ask that sort of thing.  But that's the feeling I get.  But if that is the case, then you have to understand the difference in relationship dynamics now vs. then.  When you are in a relationship with someone, if they are continuing to engage in something that bothers you, you may still tolerate it for the sake of preserving the relationship.  You sacrifice certain things for the sake of continuing on and being happy.  But it's different if you don't have that relationship and you are considering whether you want to take on someone's baggage that you don't like and entering into a relationship with them.  So what I'm saying is, if they didn't like Mike being involved in so many side projects (again, merely an assumption), I wouldn't just rely on past history to assume it would all be fine going forward if he wanted to come back.
That is a possibility, and I remember JP talking about how he got a bit concerned when MP did the album with A7X and then followed that up with doing the tour. But aside from that, I don't think any of his other side-projects or activities bothered the band much since they were not of the same popularity level as A7X, which could command more of MP's attention and potentially take away time from DT.

The only other issue I could imagine them having is to make sure that he had enough energy to give 100% towards DT. But in that regard, I think MP always did, given how involved he was with most aspects of DT. In fact, I think it was his giving so much to DT and his lack of delegating some of those responsibilities that lead to his being burned out with DT. I know one thing that MP and/or maybe other guys mentioned in past interviews is that when they aren't actively involved with DT matters (primarily in the studio to record an album or to perform live), what each guy does with his spare time is his own business, and they don't get involved with each other much then. So if MP decided to record an album or go on tour with one of his side-projects as opposed to creating new iOS apps, working on designing new guitars, chilling at home or doing whatever else, what do they care as long as it doesn't affect them or the DT business machine? So that's why I would question how much his outside projects bothered the other guys.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #737 on: March 09, 2017, 09:12:07 AM »
Yeah, I agree with the general principle that if it didn't take away at all from DT, it objectively shouldn't be a concern for anyone other than MP.  But that still doesn't account for human nature.  If it subjectively did bother some or all of the members (hypothetically), then it simply is what it is.  And even if that might not be the most rational reaction to Mike's outside work, that isn't to say that the reaction still couldn't have happened.  I mean, I know I'm not telling you something you don't already know, but I think it bears actually spelling out for sake of this discussion.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #738 on: March 09, 2017, 09:22:48 AM »
The term "supergroup" was always understood by me to just be a term used to drive up hype on something. As a journalist, I used it myself from time to time. I don't put much stock in it as a fan, nowadays. I mean, having Mike, Derek, and some other guys that were or are in groups that were popular (or are popular) in prog and other genres of music, is, well, going to be described as such.

I'd just ignore it, and forget about the characterization.

As for the "what happens if MM quits DT" scenario, I have two thoughts:

1. If that happened, I don't think DT would ask MP, even though that is personally what I'd want to have happen. Time heals wounds, but it seems from an outsider's perspective that MP and JP have some deep wounds that I'm not sure would heal enough to make it happen.

2. If MP DID return to Dream Theater, I think this current new band he has constructed, no matter where it is, would cease. It would be redundant, and I think everyone would realize that. At the very least, it would be turned from a band into a "project." Again, just my opinion and speculation.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: March 09, 2017, 09:25:09 AM »
If MP rejoined DT - I don't think it would be long before he just settled back into his "my baby" routine.

He might take a backseat for a while but i don't think he could stay there for long.

The album production might improve though - even though The Astonishing sounds pretty good and is definitely the best sounding of the Mangini era.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #740 on: March 09, 2017, 11:48:44 AM »
1. If that happened, I don't think DT would ask MP, even though that is personally what I'd want to have happen. Time heals wounds, but it seems from an outsider's perspective that MP and JP have some deep wounds that I'm not sure would heal enough to make it happen.

JP has always been quiet and polite in interviews, my completely personal assumption, just a gut feeling, is that it's not that JP may feel personally at odds with Portnoy, like it seems JLB and Myung are. Once again, my completely unfounded sensation is that, if at all, JP is hurt and let down by his longtime buddy leaving the band, the one that started it with him at Berkley. I don't think that the person JP doesn't or wouldn't get along with the person Mike Portnoy, I get the feeling that he's very let down and hurt that one of those who were there since day 1 decided he had enough of the band that defined their entire lives and carreer.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #741 on: March 09, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
JP has always been quiet and polite in interviews, my completely personal assumption, just a gut feeling, is that it's not that JP may feel personally at odds with Portnoy, like it seems JLB and Myung are. Once again, my completely unfounded sensation is that, if at all, JP is hurt and let down by his longtime buddy leaving the band, the one that started it with him at Berkley. I don't think that the person JP doesn't or wouldn't get along with the person Mike Portnoy, I get the feeling that he's very let down and hurt that one of those who were there since day 1 decided he had enough of the band that defined their entire lives and carreer.

Good post. That's always been my read of JP regarding this situation as well.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #742 on: March 09, 2017, 01:29:53 PM »
Well, when you sue someone (as MP did, I believe), it's tough to mend fences. If I recall correctly, JR and MP are on good terms. But I think it's understandable if JLB, JP and JM have some resentment. However, I have recently (I think in the DT fan club interview?) seen JLB talk highly of MP, so who knows.

Time heals wounds, and you never say never. But personally, I'm pretty excited for this new band from MP with DS. I am hoping I really enjoy the singer, because that usually drives my interest in bands.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #743 on: March 09, 2017, 02:10:09 PM »
Yeah, I think that part of why there's the hard feelings is because of the feelings of betrayal, altho JP is also more focused on the business end of the band, and the sting in the wallet from having to pay MP what he was owed was probably pretty painful too.

Well, when you sue someone (as MP did, I believe), it's tough to mend fences.
As far as I know, there never was an actual lawsuit - if I'm not mistaken it was procedural stuff that was needed to get the ball rolling.

I have recently (I think in the DT fan club interview?) seen JLB talk highly of MP, so who knows.
Yeah, that was the DT World interview that Noxon posted where JL was reminiscing about the old days. I would love to have seen that interview continue in that direction and for him to have pursued that line of questioning with JL some more (about his relationship with MP) but it didn't happen. But even tho JL spoke well about MP at that moment, I'm not convinced that there's been any improvement between the two of them.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #744 on: March 09, 2017, 03:40:16 PM »
Honestly this is one of the many reasons why DT will probably never have MP come back even if MM left.  Even if MP prioritized Dream Theater, there would always be this underlying tension that his mind was elsewhere or if some great opportunity came up they may have to pass because he had a Metal Allegiance show scheduled in the Ukraine or something. 
That is always a possibility, but maybe not. Keep in mind that he did juggle things properly for roughly 10 years while he was still in DT. DT just always was the priority and everything else fit inbetween. Not to say that maybe there was a missed opportunity or two for DT while he was in the band, but I'd imagine those would be rare. DT's not the type of band to do a single gig or two in some far-flung country without already having a proper tour and schedule established that it could fit within.

Even though Jordan was joking when he said, "He has no time for us.  He's in so many bands."  I have to wonder if Jordan wasn't being a little bit more than half serious.
Good point.

I dunno.  I'm speculating here, but I get the impression that at least some of the band members weren't happy with the quantity of outside projects Mike had going on.  I don't know that to be the case, and I don't feel that it is my place to ask that sort of thing.  But that's the feeling I get.  But if that is the case, then you have to understand the difference in relationship dynamics now vs. then.  When you are in a relationship with someone, if they are continuing to engage in something that bothers you, you may still tolerate it for the sake of preserving the relationship.  You sacrifice certain things for the sake of continuing on and being happy.  But it's different if you don't have that relationship and you are considering whether you want to take on someone's baggage that you don't like and entering into a relationship with them.  So what I'm saying is, if they didn't like Mike being involved in so many side projects (again, merely an assumption), I wouldn't just rely on past history to assume it would all be fine going forward if he wanted to come back.

Props for writing this post without using the word marriage. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #745 on: March 09, 2017, 05:17:33 PM »
Mawiage, is what bwings us togethaa today.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #746 on: March 09, 2017, 05:25:19 PM »
I think Eric would be a great choice! He's already very talented and clearly still growing.
And about the label " supergroup"... C'mon, folks, it's just MP promoting it!

Yep. You can call just about any group that features a musician from a pre-existing band a supergroup.  Damn Yankees had a drummer no one had ever heard or and had never played with anyone, yet they were still called a supergroup.  It's just a word used for hype and promotion.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #747 on: March 09, 2017, 05:28:08 PM »
I think at this point we can just assume that any group MP makes in the future will be a supergroup.

I mean, he's not just going to find non-semi-famous musicians.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #748 on: March 09, 2017, 05:43:08 PM »
I don't need the guitar player in this project to be some big ass name, or even the next JP or Guthrie Govan. Good prog music can be written without acrobatics. Case in point, I find Govan's playing best when it is tempered by SW.

I'm a huge Guthrie fan and I completely agree with you. His best work has been with SW.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #749 on: March 10, 2017, 02:50:31 AM »
Well, when you sue someone (as MP did, I believe), it's tough to mend fences. If I recall correctly, JR and MP are on good terms. But I think it's understandable if JLB, JP and JM have some resentment. However, I have recently (I think in the DT fan club interview?) seen JLB talk highly of MP, so who knows.

As far as I know, they haven't talked a word to each other since MP left.

Time heals wounds, and you never say never. But personally, I'm pretty excited for this new band from MP with DS. I am hoping I really enjoy the singer, because that usually drives my interest in bands.

Funny, there was just a discussion about the importance of the singer compared to the musicians in the Spock's Beard thread :D
any rock can be made to roll

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #750 on: March 10, 2017, 07:32:23 AM »
I find these discussions about how JP may or may not feel about MP after 7 years beyond hypothetical. A lot of stuff has happened since, it's absolutely impossible to even have the slightest inkling.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #751 on: March 10, 2017, 09:28:57 AM »
I've gotta say I'd be curious to hear what a writing team of Derek, Eric Gillette and Mike could come up with, if Eric is indeed the guitar player. Grabbed both of his solo albums last night and I'm listening to them at work today. I like what I hear so far, and it's a fair bit heavier than what he plays with NMB.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #752 on: March 10, 2017, 10:38:26 AM »
Count me in as one who is ready to stop using the term "Supergroup" any time a couple of guys from different bands get together.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #753 on: March 10, 2017, 11:22:29 AM »
On the instagram-account 'robbiegennet' (a keyboard tech, I suppose) there is a video of Derek's rig for this gig, while two guitar players practise a unison. I couldn't recognise their voices, but possibly someone on here will.
So two guitar players seems to be verified, by that video. That means double the speculation!  :lol
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline Art

« Reply #754 on: March 10, 2017, 12:51:05 PM »
pls pls pls pls be Michael Romeo  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #755 on: March 10, 2017, 01:09:22 PM »
???  I would be shocked if Portnoy did a project with Michael Romeo.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #756 on: March 10, 2017, 01:23:15 PM »
I hope not. His tone is one of my impediments to really getting into SX.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Art

« Reply #757 on: March 10, 2017, 01:37:36 PM »
For what is worth, i think is almost impossible that he's involved. Just wishful thinking.  :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #758 on: March 10, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
On the instagram-account 'robbiegennet' (a keyboard tech, I suppose) there is a video of Derek's rig for this gig, while two guitar players practise a unison. I couldn't recognise their voices, but possibly someone on here will.
So two guitar players seems to be verified, by that video. That means double the speculation!  :lol

Could you please share the link with us?  :smiley:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #759 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:45 PM »

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRbqvcuD6h6/?taken-by=robbiegennet
This should work
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #760 on: March 10, 2017, 03:35:51 PM »

This should work

Thank you!

I migh be wrong, but that sounds like Derek and a guitarist practicing, not two guitars. Derek always uses guitar-like patches and gear, that's why he tends to sound like a guitarist when he plays leads. Also, that's DEFINITELY MP's kit on the background, so now we can now confirm Derek's involvement with this project.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #761 on: March 10, 2017, 03:38:50 PM »

This should work

Thank you!

I migh be wrong, but that sounds like Derek and a guitarist practicing, not two guitars. Derek always uses guitar-like patches and gear, that's why he tends to sound like a guitarist when he plays leads. Also, that's DEFINITELY MP's kit on the background, so now we can now confirm Derek's involvement with this project.

Ah yeah, of course. I was listening on my phone speakers and didn't see him standing near an instrument, but he's standing in front of his Nord Lead, which explains the sound and why you can't see it.  :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #762 on: March 10, 2017, 03:42:52 PM »
I'm calling it right now.  The album is going to suck because there aren't enough keyboards.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #763 on: March 10, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »
I'm calling it right now.  The album is going to suck because there aren't enough keyboards.

What's the code for the Spittake emote?

because I just did.

Idk why.

Bosk isn't *that* funny
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #764 on: March 10, 2017, 06:15:08 PM »
Is it Derek talking to...Paul Gilbert?!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #765 on: March 10, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »

That would be really cool, but I don't think he's involved. He's been tweeting from his home studio the last couple days about writing his own music and things like that. Also, I don't think Paul is involved in any kind of prog metal supergroup, as he has a very big solo career.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #766 on: March 11, 2017, 07:07:46 AM »
Paused that video at the last second and caught a quick glimpse of the guitarist.

I'd know that guitar anywhere. That's definitely Bumblefoot
https://ilarge.lisimg.com/image/6880525/1000full-bumblefoot.jpg

Offline devieira73

« Reply #767 on: March 11, 2017, 07:32:35 AM »
Quote from: devieira73 link=topic=49211.msgf2290801#msg2290801 date=1489194908

That would be really cool, but I don't think he's involved. He's been tweeting from his home studio the last couple days about writing his own music and things like that. Also, I don't think Paul is involved in any kind of prog metal supergroup, as he has a very big solo career.
Cool, I just thought it was very similar to his voice. Anyway , I love PG solo stuff too.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #768 on: March 11, 2017, 07:35:14 AM »
Wow :tup the voice matches with Bumblefoot's?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #769 on: March 11, 2017, 07:44:19 AM »
Nice detective work :tup
Photobucket sucks.