Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 211948 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #700 on: March 08, 2017, 01:53:50 PM »
Pretty sure if Haken guys and Gillette are involved, I wouldn't have a ton of interest.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #701 on: March 08, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »
Gillette - the best a prog supergroup can get ?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #702 on: March 08, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
Pretty sure if Haken guys and Gillette are involved, I wouldn't have a ton of interest.

My interest probably wouldn't change, but

not just that, but Haken members don't really make this a supergroup IMO.  Neither do any of the other names mentioned.  I think this band would be better off not referring to themselves as a supergroup.

Offline Adami

« Reply #703 on: March 08, 2017, 02:25:24 PM »

I approve.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #704 on: March 08, 2017, 02:39:12 PM »
Okay, here's a guess:
Portnoy
Sherinian
Connor Green on bass (Haken)
Some vocalist
Eric Gillette

I SAID IT FIRST :biggrin:

(Sooner or later that might just as well turn out wrong of course)

Band name: Theater of Dreams

Offline Adami

« Reply #705 on: March 08, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
Album title: Exactly the album you'd expect.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Skeever

« Reply #706 on: March 08, 2017, 03:44:41 PM »
Speaking of who might be involved in MP's project, did anyone else see this?

https://twitter.com/Haken_Official/status/838170562484703234

Not that we know (almost certain) that Derek is involved, that would rule Diego out. My bet would be either Conner or Ross, but I guess Conner has more chances, since he isn't in any other side projects, or at least not that I can remember.

Relieving, honestly. I like Haken well enough, and they were a great choice to play with Mike on the cruise for many reasons, but they're already doing enough on their own. I'm more interested in hearing this project if it's made up of people who don't have an clear cut "day job".

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #707 on: March 08, 2017, 05:16:15 PM »
I know some hate hypotheticals, but here is an interesting question:

What if something happened in the next few months where Mike Mangini decided to leave Dream Theater and they asked Portnoy to rejoin the band?  Would he simply chuck his new prog metal band in the thrash?

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
Re: making fun of typos
« Reply #708 on: March 08, 2017, 05:30:50 PM »

What if something happened in the next few months where Mike Mangini decided to leave Dream Theater and they asked Portnoy to rejoin the band?  Would he simply chuck his new prog metal band in the thrash?

Blabbermouth headline: MANGINI LEAVES DREAM THEATER, PORTNOY FORMS THRASH BAND

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #709 on: March 08, 2017, 05:53:32 PM »

I don't see why it would be one or the other. If that happened his main focus would obviously be Dream Theater, but he always had time and would still do this project I'm sure, but I doubt it would get the time and support it might otherwise.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #710 on: March 08, 2017, 06:35:33 PM »

Honestly this is one of the many reasons why DT will probably never have MP come back even if MM left.  Even if MP prioritized Dream Theater, there would always be this underlying tension that his mind was elsewhere or if some great opportunity came up they may have to pass because he had a Metal Allegiance show scheduled in the Ukraine or something. 

Even though Jordan was joking when he said, "He has no time for us.  He's in so many bands."  I have to wonder if Jordan wasn't being a little bit more than half serious. 

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #711 on: March 08, 2017, 11:35:27 PM »
Album title: Exactly the album you'd expect.

Album title: Syncopated Hi-Hats.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #712 on: March 09, 2017, 12:31:55 AM »
:clap:

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #713 on: March 09, 2017, 03:13:42 AM »

If this were a statement coming from JP, Steve Morse, Vai, and one those dudes I would not argue, but... send me a link to purchase your records

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #714 on: March 09, 2017, 04:14:02 AM »
Eric Gillette posted a video on his Facebook page in which he plays a part of a Planet X song (Derek Sherinian was the keyboardist for that band). Coincidence? I guess not. He's part of this.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Skeever

« Reply #715 on: March 09, 2017, 05:22:54 AM »
If Eric Gillette is the primary guitarist, is it really a super group? The guy has skill, but he's nowhere near a superstar, even in his own niche.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #716 on: March 09, 2017, 05:25:34 AM »
Could you really make a progressive metal supergroup then?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #717 on: March 09, 2017, 05:47:12 AM »
Should be possible, given the talent out there. The trick would be not to bunch all the 'usual suspects'  together. I'd start salivating with the combo Petrucci/Sherinian/Rullo/insert bassplayer (Kamiband's BOH?)/insert vocalist for some reason.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #718 on: March 09, 2017, 05:47:56 AM »
I think Eric would be a great choice! He's already very talented and clearly still growing.
And about the label " supergroup"... C'mon, folks, it's just MP promoting it!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #719 on: March 09, 2017, 05:50:55 AM »
I´m fine with MP having another group, SUPER or not SUPER. As long as the songs are good - and that has been the case with FC, TWD, parts of AMOB, NMB, TA, LTE etc. etc.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #720 on: March 09, 2017, 06:02:41 AM »
I've always understood "supergroup" to simply refer to collaborations of artists from other, established, bands. I've never considered it to confer any expectations that those members should be household names or anything.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #721 on: March 09, 2017, 06:16:31 AM »
I've always understood "supergroup" to simply refer to collaborations of artists from other, established, bands. I've never considered it to confer any expectations that those members should be household names or anything.

THIS 100%

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: making fun of typos
« Reply #722 on: March 09, 2017, 06:35:11 AM »

Blabbermouth headline: MANGINI LEAVES DREAM THEATER, PORTNOY FORMS THRASH BAND

Well played. Laughed out loud ;D
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #723 on: March 09, 2017, 06:35:40 AM »

Yeah, that's exactly what I thought as well.
Squ

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #724 on: March 09, 2017, 07:22:47 AM »
Let the hype machine start again! He just can't help himself.

Mike Portnoy  
🤘

Verified account

@MikePortnoy
 Follow

More
Some serious magic happening here in the studio! Wow...  Can't wait for you all to hear what's brewing!! Be patient everyone...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #725 on: March 09, 2017, 07:28:55 AM »

For me, supergroups include:

Asia
UK
The Firm
Bozzio Levin Stevens
Flying Colors
Steve Vai's The Breed (with McAlpine, Sheehan and Donati)
Planet X (first iteration with McAlpine)
Levin Ruddess Minnemann

If Portnoy's supergroup already includes Sherinian, they need one more name. Connor is good, but he's not yet there.

Gillette is a Youtube sensation. Not really a star.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #726 on: March 09, 2017, 07:42:57 AM »
Am I the only one who was amused that this sentenced

Can't wait for you all to hear what's brewing!!

was followed immediately by this sentence?

Be patient everyone...
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #727 on: March 09, 2017, 07:55:04 AM »
Almost everytime a supergroup is announced as a supergroup it doesn't meet the expectations. So I'd rather MP just plays with some musicians that can create good music, regardless of names and superstar-status.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #728 on: March 09, 2017, 07:59:31 AM »
Almost everytime a supergroup is announced as a supergroup it doesn't meet the expectations. So I'd rather MP just plays with some musicians that can create good music, regardless of names and superstar-status.

By all indications, that appears to be the case, so what's the problem?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #729 on: March 09, 2017, 08:16:08 AM »
I don't need the guitar player in this project to be some big ass name, or even the next JP or Guthrie Govan. Good prog music can be written without acrobatics. Case in point, I find Govan's playing best when it is tempered by SW.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #730 on: March 09, 2017, 08:21:08 AM »

The use of the term supergroup.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #731 on: March 09, 2017, 08:26:05 AM »
I don't need the guitar player in this project to be some big ass name, or even the next JP or Guthrie Govan. Good prog music can be written without acrobatics. Case in point, I find Govan's playing best when it is tempered by SW.

Have you heard anything by Aristocrats? Their first record features some great playing by mister Govan.
Squ

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #732 on: March 09, 2017, 08:28:25 AM »

The use of the term supergroup.
Well, sorry, but that's a dumb thing to be bothered by.  Why can't you accept that the band is whatever it is, and just wait and see whether the music itself is any good instead of complaining about the terminology Mike chooses to describe the band?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #733 on: March 09, 2017, 08:31:00 AM »

Have you heard anything by Aristocrats? Their first record features some great playing by mister Govan.
Oh, I really like the Aristocrats! It's just that, choosing between the Aristocrats and his playing on HCE, I prefer the latter. He's a bit like JR where those fast figures roll off his hands a bit too easily, so they tend to get overused.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #734 on: March 09, 2017, 08:32:10 AM »

That is a good question and one that crossed my mind. Honestly, it's too hard to say, but I'd imagine he'd try to juggle both. Then again, since we're dealing with hypotheticals, could you imagine if it ended up being a similar situation to Yes and ABWH back in the late 80s leading to a Union-type lineup? Not that it's likely, but then again, who would've expected that to happen with Yes back in the day?

Honestly this is one of the many reasons why DT will probably never have MP come back even if MM left.  Even if MP prioritized Dream Theater, there would always be this underlying tension that his mind was elsewhere or if some great opportunity came up they may have to pass because he had a Metal Allegiance show scheduled in the Ukraine or something. 
That is always a possibility, but maybe not. Keep in mind that he did juggle things properly for roughly 10 years while he was still in DT. DT just always was the priority and everything else fit inbetween. Not to say that maybe there was a missed opportunity or two for DT while he was in the band, but I'd imagine those would be rare. DT's not the type of band to do a single gig or two in some far-flung country without already having a proper tour and schedule established that it could fit within.

Even though Jordan was joking when he said, "He has no time for us.  He's in so many bands."  I have to wonder if Jordan wasn't being a little bit more than half serious.
Good point.

Agreed. Outside of prog circles, few knew who Neal Morse, Roine Stoldt and Pete Trewavas were and yet I don't think anyone batted an eyelash when that was announced as a supergroup. However...

I'll agree with this. I'm sure the music will be of great quality - aside from AMob, MP doesn't seem to be a person who gets involved with stuff that's of meh quality. But as soon as you hype it up like he's doing here, it does set a certain expectation about it that wouldn't be there otherwise and may be difficult to live up to, even tho it's a great album in and of it's own right. Not that it will affect how I like or dislike it, but it is a bit concerning for others that might take issue with it.

Am I the only one who was amused that this sentenced
Can't wait for you all to hear what's brewing!!
was followed immediately by this sentence?
Be patient everyone...
Good call!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.