Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210732 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #420 on: February 20, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »
Not getting my hopes up for that. The guys from Haken and Gilette are all gainfully employed.
Honestly, I've given up hope for a Portnoy prog band that isn't just some retread of the Neal Morse brand. Portnoy, Sherinian, MacAlpine, Sheenan was the lineup that could have done that (only needed a good vocalist), and apparently no one was interested after that initial tour.

All they needed was a vocalist with a last name that begins with an "A"... then they'd be SPASM - Sherinian Portnoy A______ Sheehan MacAlpine. It'd be a great name for a prog metal/rock band. Russel Allen? Mikael Åkerfeldt?

But it seems like that ship may have sailed, and Mike gets to play with Billy in TWD anyway, so it's up to whether or not DS and TM would be willing to do something again.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 02:55:34 PM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #421 on: February 20, 2017, 02:05:52 PM »
All they needed was a vocalist with a last name that begins with an "A"... then they'd be SPASM - Sherinian Portnoy A______ Sheehan MacALpine. It'd be a great name for a prog metal/rock band. Russel Allen? Mikael Åkerfeldt?
:clap:
That's awesome. Russell Allen is my favorite vocalist these days, and MP already worked with him in AMOB. Apparently there already is a band called Spasm: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Spasm/Pussy%E2%80%8B%28%E2%80%8BDe%E2%80%8B%29%E2%80%8BLuxe/547554. They look pretty classy, too.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #422 on: February 20, 2017, 02:55:59 PM »
All they needed was a vocalist with a last name that begins with an "A"... then they'd be SPASM - Sherinian Portnoy A______ Sheehan MacALpine. It'd be a great name for a prog metal/rock band. Russel Allen? Mikael Åkerfeldt?
:clap:
That's awesome. Russell Allen is my favorite vocalist these days, and MP already worked with him in AMOB. Apparently there already is a band called Spasm: https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Spasm/Pussy%E2%80%8B%28%E2%80%8BDe%E2%80%8B%29%E2%80%8BLuxe/547554. They look pretty classy, too.

The new SPASM could write a track called "Eat My Ass And Balls" and fit right in. :metal

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #423 on: February 20, 2017, 03:57:39 PM »
But here's the thing:  Given that they have 3 guitarists, they easily could have a smoother transition there if they wanted to.  TDS ends with crazy soloing and then the "dugga-dugga-dun-da-dun-da-dun-WAH" riff.  You don't need 3 guitars to do that, even if you want to layer a second part under the solo.  You can just have one or two guitars drop out at that part and while you have that solo section going on, and that player (or those two players) then either swaps guitars or detunes during that section.  Then after the ending riff of TDS, the guitar or two guitars that dropped out can either come in with the same riff in the new key so that it basically modulates the song to the new key, or just go right to the main riff (I would prefer the former).  Then the other guitar (or two guitars) that finished TDS can drop out and tune to the new key.   

Yeah, I thought about that too.. And it reminded me of this yt video where the 12ss is shortened in 12 minutes, where that transition is very similar to what you're saying: https://youtu.be/0SsYVXTiGGw?t=223

Mike is used to playing LONG pieces straight through with minimal stoppage (e.g., The Whirlwind, Six Degrees)

I don't know about the first one, but SDoIT has a lot of stoppage, at least for the drummer.. If we count Overture (which I think DT only played it once), there you start having a lot of moments where not only the drums are very basic and (relatively) easy to play, but also where there are entire sections with no drumming at all..

If we skip it (which is what they almost always have done) and don't count the last two minutes of the song, which unlike what most people think I do *admit* is part of the song just like everything else in it, you only have 33 minutes of song.. Even less if you consider the two minutes in GK that Portnoy doesn't even play (and when he does it, again, it's very simple what he does).. So that's a lot of break for him, having in mind also that wiht DT he used to play not only their epics tunes but also two or three song in a row only for the sake of it.. Two minutes of not playing at all within a 33 minute song is really something if you think of that.. So there's all this too..

And even if it were a song of non-stop during 42 minutes, the 12SS has over 50 minutes, and, even more important, it's not only "a heavy" but *the heaviest* and instrumentally (thus physically) most demanding saga DT has.... while SDoIT is a prog/symphonic rock song with barely a few sections that are hard to play and physically exhausting..

24 minutes of playing two of the most hard and physically demanding 10 minute DT songs without taking a single break between... I think that deserves at least a billion of these ones: :clap:
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #424 on: February 21, 2017, 09:38:10 PM »
Not getting my hopes up for that. The guys from Haken and Gilette are all gainfully employed.
Honestly, I've given up hope for a Portnoy prog band that isn't just some retread of the Neal Morse brand. Portnoy, Sherinian, MacAlpine, Sheenan was the lineup that could have done that (only needed a good vocalist), and apparently no one was interested after that initial tour.

All they needed was a vocalist with a last name that begins with an "A"... then they'd be SPASM - Sherinian Portnoy A______ Sheehan MacAlpine. It'd be a great name for a prog metal/rock band. Russel Allen? Mikael Åkerfeldt?

But it seems like that ship may have sailed, and Mike gets to play with Billy in TWD anyway, so it's up to whether or not DS and TM would be willing to do something again.

-Marc.

The PSMS project was fun and I was also expecting a studio album from them, don't know what happened there. However, I'm kinda relieved this never got to an official band because (very unpopular opinion here) I just can't stand Billy Sheehan's playing/tone (and I'm a bassist). He has a very unique style and I admire him for working hard to get his own style of playing, but just don't like it at all. And his tone really sucks imo.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2017, 12:27:22 AM »
The PSMS project was fun and I was also expecting a studio album from them, don't know what happened there. However, I'm kinda relieved this never got to an official band because (very unpopular opinion here) I just can't stand Billy Sheehan's playing/tone (and I'm a bassist). He has a very unique style and I admire him for working hard to get his own style of playing, but just don't like it at all. And his tone really sucks imo.
I really like both his playing and tone in Niacin.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2017, 09:00:05 AM »
MP has confused me with this project of his (Shattered Fortress). First it was just supposed to be a birthday bash. Then it extended to another date, and then a few dates. At this point, why not make it a real band? What's MP's goal with this? If there is no goal, then shouldn't the cruise and birthday bash been...it? A complete one and done?

I don't understand what he's trying to do. A bunch of you corrected me and pointed me toward something (I forget now) where MP says he doesn't want to do a progressive metal band in the vein of DT going forward. Ok, so if that's the case, why is he doing more gigs as Shattered Fortress?

At this point, I feel he either has to just devote himself to making "Shattered Fortress" a real band in the style of Dream Theater, or just let it go by the wayside. He's probably signed contracts for these additional gigs, so if so, fulfill them, but let this die. Stringing it out further only gives credence to the belief he's trying to do a prog metal band again.

Personally, I think he should embrace his legacy. Take the Dream Theater catalog through Black Clouds, use that as a base, and put together a REAL band of musicians with an operatic singer, and move forward. I think "Shattered Fortress" is a little lame for a band name, but I am sure he could think of something else. This way, MP can embrace his past and move forward at the same time in the genre he's known for, with an actual band.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »
MP has confused me with this project of his (Shattered Fortress). First it was just supposed to be a birthday bash. Then it extended to another date, and then a few dates. At this point, why not make it a real band? What's MP's goal with this? If there is no goal, then shouldn't the cruise and birthday bash been...it? A complete one and done?

I don't understand what he's trying to do. A bunch of you corrected me and pointed me toward something (I forget now) where MP says he doesn't want to do a progressive metal band in the vein of DT going forward. Ok, so if that's the case, why is he doing more gigs as Shattered Fortress?

At this point, I feel he either has to just devote himself to making "Shattered Fortress" a real band in the style of Dream Theater, or just let it go by the wayside. He's probably signed contracts for these additional gigs, so if so, fulfill them, but let this die. Stringing it out further only gives credence to the belief he's trying to do a prog metal band again.

Personally, I think he should embrace his legacy. Take the Dream Theater catalog through Black Clouds, use that as a base, and put together a REAL band of musicians with an operatic singer, and move forward. I think "Shattered Fortress" is a little lame for a band name, but I am sure he could think of something else. This way, MP can embrace his past and move forward at the same time in the genre he's known for, with an actual band.

Why not, but forget about the operatic singer, I think he's done with that.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2017, 09:15:54 AM »

I don´t think it´s gonna happen. The whole idea of playing the AA Suite is to celebrate his 50th Birthday and finally play it in full...he´ll play a handful of dates and then can it.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2017, 09:35:18 AM »

I don't remember whether he first announced it as ONLY the birthday bash and then announced the added dates, or if the initial announcement was that he was doing a limited run of dates, beginning with the birthday bash.  But it seems that the intent was simply this:  In connection with his birthday, he planned to do a limited run of dates to play the 12 step suite in its entirety, since that had never been done, so he was assembling a project band for that purpose.  Really, it's not unlike other limited projects he has done, like Yellow Matter Custard, the Rush Tribute, etc.  But the intent all along seems to have been that it was for a small number of dates and not just the birthday bash.  I could be mistaken, but I seem to have a vague recollection that he even affirmatively said he does NOT plan to have this turn into a more permanent band. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2017, 09:42:11 AM »

I don't understand this position.  I mean, "I understand it", but it doesn't really make any sense, except to the person making it.   I can absolutely see not wanting to do something full time - or with the full time commitment that a standing band would require - but also wanting to explore the work more than a "one-off" would allow.  He's never played that in it's entirely before, and so it hasn't "breathed" yet, or perhaps "taken life".  A series of shows might allow that to happen in an organic way, but it certainly doesn't mean it's his full time gig or even a "regression" to his past life.  It's one set of songs.   He's entitled to get what he wants out of that performance.   

EDIT: What Bosk said.  My recollection is similar to his.   

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2017, 09:42:28 AM »
Well, just to be hypothetical, it would seem if MP wanted to make this a full time band, he'd need to either break up Haken or find new members for his band.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2017, 09:54:17 AM »

I think the goal was for him to be able to perform a deeply personal piece of music he wrote (at least lyrically) and share it with fans in the manner it was originally intended. Given that there's likely not to be an official live release, doing a handful of dates at mostly major festivals makes sense. There's probably a close to 0% chance that this Shattered Fortress band becomes anything more, given that Haken is pretty much a full time gig and it'd be a bit awkward for all of them but one to get up and join another project playing the same style of music. Mike's said he doesn't want to do another progressive metal band, and honestly I've been happier with him enjoying various aspects of his musical tastes in different projects (Winery Dogs, Flying Colors, Transatlantic) than I would be if he had slapped together another prog metal band to lead.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2017, 11:44:32 AM »
The thing that is puzzling to me is that for a person who was so in charge of every aspect of DT (in his words), wrote lyrics and melodies for DT for over 25 years would suddenly stop. He continually "reminds" us that he wrote so many of the melodies but in the 6+ years since he left DT he hasn't really been involved in that. In all of the bands he is in, he is not the principal songwriter.

I understand him wanting to coast for a while and not want to have people compare his new venture to DT, but again it's been 6+ years and don't you think a control freak like him would want to be back in charge of a band?

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2017, 12:28:42 PM »
Maybe he learnt his lesson, or simply tried a more relaxing approach and found out it would work.

I make an example with work, I spent years in customer service answering to e-mails. I really loved reply to e-mail, when I changed work and there was both e-mail and chat support, I didn't want anything to do with the chat... and then I did it anyway and found out I liked it and now at the same job, given the chance, I would never switch to e-mail support again.

It can be the same for Mike. He controlled so much of DT that he got burnt out and "lost" the band, and either he doesn't want to find himself in the same position again, or simply found out that it's not so bad to be "just the drummer".
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2017, 12:33:55 PM »
The thing that is puzzling to me is that for a person who was so in charge of every aspect of DT (in his words), wrote lyrics and melodies for DT for over 25 years would suddenly stop. He continually "reminds" us that he wrote so many of the melodies

He didn't write "so many melodies" at all.. He did write lyrics and sort of 'directed' the compositions as they were happening (and mostly done only by JP and any of the keyboardists).. But melodies?... Yeah, which ones?... "Open your eyes / And turn off your mind" or "Look in the mirror / What do you see?"? I'm glad he didn't do that so often.. ;D
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2017, 12:36:02 PM »
He wrote the vocal melodies for the songs to which he wrote lyrics.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
I remember a JR interview in which he said that ever since he joined the band he and JP did most of music and melodies.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2017, 01:25:08 PM »
IIRC, originally it was supposed to just be the birthday bash and that was it. But then there were promoters of these festivals or whatever that got wind of TSF and wanted it as well. So where feasible, MP figured why not since the guys will have already learned the music?

Why not, but forget about the operatic singer, I think he's done with that.
I'd love to see him do another prog-metal band, but yeah, forget about an operatic singer.

The thing that is puzzling to me is that for a person who was so in charge of every aspect of DT (in his words), wrote lyrics and melodies for DT for over 25 years would suddenly stop. He continually "reminds" us that he wrote so many of the melodies but in the 6+ years since he left DT he hasn't really been involved in that. In all of the bands he is in, he is not the principal songwriter.
MP has never been the principal songwriter, but he has most definitely contributed musical ideas. Not as much as JP or JR, but he has. And that in addition to the aforementioned vocal melodies to all the songs he wrote lyrics for, as well as the song arrangements. I'd imagine the same is true for every single band/project he's been involved in where he is not simply a hired hand (like he was with A7X and originally with Neal Morse).

don't you think a control freak like him would want to be back in charge of a band?
Actually it wasn't long ago that he did an interview (sorry, I don't recall where), where he mentioned that he did miss overseeing everything to the extent that he did in DT. Will he ever get to do that again? Who knows. Even he doesn't.

He didn't write "so many melodies" at all.. He did write lyrics and sort of 'directed' the compositions as they were happening (and mostly done only by JP and any of the keyboardists).. But melodies?... Yeah, which ones?... "Open your eyes / And turn off your mind" or "Look in the mirror / What do you see?"? I'm glad he didn't do that so often.. ;D
See my comment above. But while I haven't a clue as to the vast majority of the actual songs he contributed music to, I do know for a fact that the main riff in ARoP came from him. And while it's credited to Dream Theater, New Millennium was actually written only by MP, JM and DS - for whatever reason, JP wasn't around when it was written, but was still given credit. Those are only two examples and they might not be fan favorite songs, but that doesn't mean he didn't have a hand in contributed actual melodies that would be counted as "song writing". As I said before, it just wasn't as much as what JP and JR did.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2017, 02:02:01 PM »
Thanks everyone, on the clarification of what MP's original intent with Shattered Fortress was. I don't follow everything as closely as many of you do, so I appreciate the info.

All that said, I personally feel Mike is pissing away his career with all these projects. Given his personality, I get it, to a degree. But to build up a catalog like he did with Dream Theater, be known for one of prog metals most outstanding drummers and creative forces, and then just walk away from it completely, makes me bummed, as a fan.

I don't blame him for wanting to pursue other things like he has. But he's become a bit of a nomad, and almost has turned into that dude that you know will show up and play with whoever. I don't want to insult fans by naming names of other musicians, but you know what I mean -- those guys that are on every project, whatever they can get.

In today's music industry, I guess you do what you do to make ends meet. But I still can't shake the feeling that Mike is wasting his time, when he should be embracing what made him what he is -- go use that catalog you helped create, form a new band, and be a prog metal band again. Something steady and full-on for the next 15 years. And use the downtime on your side projects.

Again, I realize that this is just what I would like to see as a fan. But I like to think I know a bit about how the industry works and that Mike has really diverse interests. If he's happy, that's great. But I just don't think he's maximizing his potential -- both as a musician and artist, and as a businessman.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2017, 02:05:31 PM »
One question would be, what do you realistically expect?

Mike will never....EVER.....be in a band as big as DT unless he's a hired hand or brought into a previously established band. It has nothing to do with talent, but it's basically impossible for a prog band of any kind to be formed today and reach large levels of success. The best he'll get is what Flying Colors or Winery Dogs achieved. He can assemble the best musicians in the world, write amazing songs, and it still won't amount to much. That's just how the music industry is right now.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2017, 02:08:36 PM »
One question would be, what do you realistically expect?

Mike will never....EVER.....be in a band as big as DT unless he's a hired hand or brought into a previously established band. It has nothing to do with talent, but it's basically impossible for a prog band of any kind to be formed today and reach large levels of success. The best he'll get is what Flying Colors or Winery Dogs achieved. He can assemble the best musicians in the world, write amazing songs, and it still won't amount to much. That's just how the music industry is right now.

I guess what I expect is for him to embrace his own legacy. He's a progressive metal icon, yet doesn't play progressive metal any longer on a regular basis. That makes no sense. So while you're absolutely spot-on that he will never be able to build a band that has the success like Dream Theater has again, he could build a band within that artistic space to recapture a bit of the genre that helped define him as a musician.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online Adami

« Reply #442 on: February 22, 2017, 02:11:19 PM »
I dunno dude. I'm a musician myself. I literally cannot bring myself to play one genre constantly. If I was in one type of band for as long as MP was, I'd want to do other things too. He's done A LOT of prog metal. Like a ton. It'd be a bit sad if he never wanted to do anything else.

It's not like he couldn't. He obviously can. He's choosing not to because this is what he wants to do.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #443 on: February 22, 2017, 02:15:19 PM »
I dunno dude. I'm a musician myself. I literally cannot bring myself to play one genre constantly. If I was in one type of band for as long as MP was, I'd want to do other things too. He's done A LOT of prog metal. Like a ton. It'd be a bit sad if he never wanted to do anything else.

It's not like he couldn't. He obviously can. He's choosing not to because this is what he wants to do.

I hear ya. I'm not saying I think he should ONLY do prog metal. But its odd to me that someone who built his name in the genre of prog metal doesn't play it any longer. You're right, if he's choosing to not do it, because he doesn't really want to, and doesn't have to, then that's good for him. But as a fan, it still bothers me that someone so revered in the prog metal genre has no band in which to play that style of music any more. That's all I'm saying.

And I think he could do better, money-wise, in the long run, if he did, using the DT back catalog to beef up a new band's output, particularly if that new band is really good, and made up of outstanding songwriters and musicians. But again, that's the fan and slightly informed about the music industry person in me talking. If MP is happy, then that is good. I just miss seeing him play prog metal.

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #444 on: February 22, 2017, 02:26:27 PM »
I'm always scratching my head at comments like "why doesn't MP just get some good musicians and he's good to go". Good songwriters don't grow on trees. Look at TWD; it's pretty obvious that most of the songs are built on Kotzen's substrate. And even then, despite the pristine lineup (Portnoy, Kotzen, Sheehan), the band is only marginally successful.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: February 22, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
I'm always scratching my head at comments like "why doesn't MP just get some good musicians and he's good to go". Good songwriters don't grow on trees. Look at TWD; it's pretty obvious that most of the songs are built on Kotzen's substrate. And even then, despite the pristine lineup (Portnoy, Kotzen, Sheehan), the band is only marginally successful.

No one said they did, Rumbo. You can scratch your head at the comment, but don't insinuate just because someone would like to see something, that it means they are blind to the difficulty factor.

www.roadstomadness.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #446 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:06 PM »
There couldn't be any more boring music than TWD.

MP hasn't done a single thing I've been interested in since he left. Even his Metal Allegience, which should appeal to me, is nothing but a cover band so big woops. I loved being a fan of MP and him being in my favorite band. I loved what he brought to the fans and his performances.

He's basically fallen off the edge of the world to me.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #447 on: February 22, 2017, 02:31:22 PM »

All that said, I personally feel Mike is pissing away his career with all these projects. Given his personality, I get it, to a degree. But to build up a catalog like he did with Dream Theater, be known for one of prog metals most outstanding drummers and creative forces, and then just walk away from it completely, makes me bummed, as a fan.

I don't blame him for wanting to pursue other things like he has. But he's become a bit of a nomad, and almost has turned into that dude that you know will show up and play with whoever. I don't want to insult fans by naming names of other musicians, but you know what I mean -- those guys that are on every project, whatever they can get.

In today's music industry, I guess you do what you do to make ends meet. But I still can't shake the feeling that Mike is wasting his time, when he should be embracing what made him what he is -- go use that catalog you helped create, form a new band, and be a prog metal band again. Something steady and full-on for the next 15 years. And use the downtime on your side projects.

If I didn't understand the position before, then this is an alien language.  "Pissing away"??  In six years he's done three legendary albums with Transatlantic, two legendary albums with Flying Colors, and two pretty decent records with The Winery Dogs.   Not to mention the work with the Neal Morse Band.    None is "prog metal", I grant you, but I for one don't care about genre.   

That you don't  like it doesn't mean he's "pissing his career" away.  And as much as I love him in DT (I've been a fan since Images and Words) if it means giving that up, I'm out.  He should stay as he is.

And while I'm no psychologist, I think he's still occupied.  Whether it's writing liner notes for Ytsejam releases, or scripting setlists (which I know for a fact he still has a hand in if not total control) he's doing a lot more little things for a lot more projects, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that scratched the itch.

I think of all the things you can say about Mike Portnoy - some great, some maybe not - the one thing you CAN'T say is that he doesn't do what he wants to do.   Let him live his career as he sees fit.  Then listen if you so choose.  I am more than happy with his output in the last six years.   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #448 on: February 22, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »
  In six years he's done three legendary albums with Transatlantic, two legendary albums with Flying Colors, 
Legendary? Flying Colors??

He might as well be recording with Barry Manilow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2017, 02:36:01 PM »

I hear ya. I'm not saying I think he should ONLY do prog metal. But its odd to me that someone who built his name in the genre of prog metal doesn't play it any longer. You're right, if he's choosing to not do it, because he doesn't really want to, and doesn't have to, then that's good for him. But as a fan, it still bothers me that someone so revered in the prog metal genre has no band in which to play that style of music any more. That's all I'm saying.

And I think he could do better, money-wise, in the long run, if he did, using the DT back catalog to beef up a new band's output, particularly if that new band is really good, and made up of outstanding songwriters and musicians. But again, that's the fan and slightly informed about the music industry person in me talking. If MP is happy, then that is good. I just miss seeing him play prog metal.

I'm lost...

Are you suggesting that:
Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas
Steve Morse
Dave LaRue
Richie  Kotzen
Billy Sheehan
Tony MacAlpine
Derek Sherinian

... are not "really good" or are not "outstanding songwriters and musicians"?   I might even be tempted to say that he's playing with musicians that are at LEAST as good as the one's he played with in DT.   

Online Adami

« Reply #450 on: February 22, 2017, 02:36:23 PM »
Legendary is hyperbolic, but I do love the Flying Colors albums.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #451 on: February 22, 2017, 02:38:30 PM »

If I didn't understand the position before, then this is an alien language.

I speak fluent Martian, sorry.  :lol

"Pissing away"??  In six years he's done three legendary albums with Transatlantic, two legendary albums with Flying Colors, and two pretty decent records with The Winery Dogs.   Not to mention the work with the Neal Morse Band.    None is "prog metal", I grant you, but I for one don't care about genre.   

That you don't  like it doesn't mean he's "pissing his career" away.  And as much as I love him in DT (I've been a fan since Images and Words) if it means giving that up, I'm out.  He should stay as he is.

"Pissing away" may have been too strong a phrase. But one piece of advice a mentor once gave to me was this: If you're great a portion of what you do, don't take it for granted. While you are driven to improve in other areas, don't forget about your bread and butter and give that equal attention.

This is where I think Mike is "failing." the one thing he's been known for by the masses -- he's not doing it any longer. He's not playing prog metal.

Also, in regard to the albums, well, therein is part of our difference -- I'm not really impressed with anything he's done post-DT. I'm sorta just like TAC in that aspect.

And while I'm no psychologist, I think he's still occupied.  Whether it's writing liner notes for Ytsejam releases, or scripting setlists (which I know for a fact he still has a hand in if not total control) he's doing a lot more little things for a lot more projects, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if that scratched the itch.

I think of all the things you can say about Mike Portnoy - some great, some maybe not - the one thing you CAN'T say is that he doesn't do what he wants to do.   Let him live his career as he sees fit.  Then listen if you so choose.  I am more than happy with his output in the last six years.

For sure, he's busy. But he's busy doing everything but the thing he was best at...

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #452 on: February 22, 2017, 02:41:26 PM »
Also, let's be honest here, MP isn't exactly the hottest commodity these days. Young talent will not exactly be flocking towards a 50-year old drummer who is often accused of rehashing the same old fills, and whose past with DT would clearly totally overshadow any new band (A7X got a nice taste of that). I think there is a reason why most of his projects are with fogeys as old as he is.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #453 on: February 22, 2017, 02:43:05 PM »

I'm lost...

GPS. Never need a map again.   ;D

Are you suggesting that:
Neal Morse
Roine Stolt
Pete Trewavas
Steve Morse
Dave LaRue
Richie  Kotzen
Billy Sheehan
Tony MacAlpine
Derek Sherinian

... are not "really good" or are not "outstanding songwriters and musicians"?   I might even be tempted to say that he's playing with musicians that are at LEAST as good as the one's he played with in DT.   

Not suggesting that at all. AT ALL. But MP hasn't constructed a progressive metal band with them. That's what I was saying -- create a progressive metal band with musicians that are great songwriters, and proceed from there. He hasn't done that in prog metal since DT (the project with MacAlpine doesn't count -- I'm talking a real, full time band).

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #454 on: February 22, 2017, 02:46:04 PM »
Also, let's be honest here, MP isn't exactly the hottest commodity these days. Young talent will not exactly be flocking towards a 50-year old drummer who is often accused of rehashing the same old fills, and whose past with DT would clearly totally overshadow any new band (A7X got a nice taste of that).

That's true, rumbo. But you don't necessarily need "young" talent. Just talent. Look at how the Creed guys found Myles Kennedy and formed Alter Bridge. Look how Queensryche found Todd La Torre. both those dudes were into their 40s. You don't have to go young to find talent. You get the right mix of people, experience, and ability, good things can happen.

www.roadstomadness.com