Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212013 times)

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #350 on: February 15, 2017, 12:14:23 AM »
Yes, both Gildenlöw and Leonard would be able to put up a great performance of those songs if they were better prepared. Don't know if they didn't have the time or just didn't really care (could imagine that for Gildenlöw) but it's obvious that they weren't really ready.

Doesn't mean that they would or could be better than JLB, but if they would give the songs their own note it could be interesting.

I know MP isn't allowed to make any money off of recordings of those songs, but could he potentially put a soundboard audio quality or better version on youtube for free?

I'm pretty sure that he's allowed, but he has to ask first. The same that DT probably have to ask him before releasing songs that MP co-wrote.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #351 on: February 15, 2017, 12:17:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure that he's allowed, but he has to ask first. The same that DT probably have to ask him before releasing songs that MP co-wrote.

Unlikely. MP doesn't own the songs. Doesn't matter who wrote them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #352 on: February 15, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »
Who owns the songs then?

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #353 on: February 15, 2017, 12:31:44 AM »
Who owns the songs then?

Elektra & Roadrunner I'm pretty sure.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kwyjibo

« Reply #354 on: February 15, 2017, 12:53:40 AM »
I think this was addressed earlier in this thread and I'm pretty sure that MP can release DT songs. In fact he has done so with PMSM and Flying Colours. There surely is some kind of agreement between DT and MP regarding this matter.

Offline pcs90

« Reply #355 on: February 15, 2017, 12:59:03 AM »
Yeah, the PSMS concert he released has part of ACOS, LITS, and HK on it as well as Acid Rain from LTE.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #356 on: February 15, 2017, 01:00:38 AM »
It all depends on the contract. For all we know there's a special condition, allowing performing rights to Portnoy for this specific suite. Could be the reason why he has been playing Repentance in the past too. But yeah, like IDontNotDoThings said, the recording of the song is owned by the label.

If any money is made off recordings of this particular set, I'm pretty sure it counts as neighboring rights. As Dream Theater are the rightful songwriters, the royalties would then be split between them and Mr. Portny.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #357 on: February 15, 2017, 01:21:57 AM »
For all we know there's a special condition, allowing performing rights to Portnoy for this specific suite.

Actually, now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure MP mentioned specifically that he wanted to do this. I'm not sure what came about from it though.

ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #358 on: February 15, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »
I've seen it all by now, and everyone did a terrific job on this. Instrumentally, except for a few moments, it was flawless. Ross did a great job, but doesn't have the grit or the power to bring these songs to life as JLB did. I agree to the earlier sentiment, that it shows that despite all the criticism and hate he gets he is somewhat irreplaceable. Whenever I think of DT, I automatically think of James LaBrie and that's what makes him a vital part of the band despite being inconsistent/*insert any JLB criticism* live.

That being said, Portnoy probably had this band assembled months ago; which kinda makes it kinda inexcusable for the 'they were not prepared' thing. There is no way of knowing how the rehearsals or the pre-show preparation went through, but the one that seemed the most engaged with the music was Ross. That kinda makes sense because of all the singers involved he is the one that's comfortable in the heavy domain, but as I said earlier everyone did an amazing job. This turned out better than I thought it would.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #359 on: February 15, 2017, 08:59:40 AM »
The only shame is, this lineup is obviously only coming together for this thing. I had maybe hoped a bit that MP was assembling a band to possibly base something else on it afterwards, but that's not going to happen.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #360 on: February 15, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »
I don't know what the contract says - and that is really all that matters - but we're confusing some things here.   

"Owning the songs" can mean several different things:
- Rights to the publishing
- Rights to previously recorded performances
- Rights to new recordings of existing songs

"Owning rights" is often about what the owner can do or not do, but it is just as often about preventing others from doing.  I know a little more about the Queensryche thing because of the court cases and some of the disclosures, and absent any agreement there was nothing stopping Tater from performing Mindcrime or Mindcrime II in their entirety, but there was nothing stopping the LaTorre version from doing the same.  I believe the "agreement" there is that the LaTorre version CANNOT stage their own opera and compete with Tater.    I would guess - though it's purely a guess - that Mike's statement about owning the rights to the Suite is similar.   I know nothing, I've been told nothing, but I suspect the recent performances of A Change of Seasons by DT have not gone down well with Mike, and yet there's not really anything he can do, absent a specific agreement between the parties that "X entity will not perform Y song in public without the prior written permission (or active participation) of Z". 

It gets a little squirrely when you start talking about "operas" or "complete pieces of work" (this was an issue with Dweezil and his "Zappa Plays Zappa"; Ahmet argued that he could prevent Dweezil from playing those works because they were a complete body of work, and not just "individual songs" as Dweezil (and the law, it seems) maintained).   In other words - and for the third time, I have not read the contracts, so I cannot say this for certain - The Musical Box likely does not HAVE to get permission to play the "Selling England By The Pound" setlist, but under certain conditions, they may have to get permission to put on a presentation of "The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway".  I know they did get permission for both anyway, out of respect for the band (and to elicit cooperation with costumes, set pieces, etc.) but there's a difference between what they have to do and what they choose to do.

Then there's the sale of recorded works of the performance.   This was also likely addressed by the agreement between the parties (and I will note again, I am not privy to that agreement, so this is guesswork).   It's one thing to include "Repentence" on a Flying Colors live disk - absent a specific agreement, it's no different than Dream Theater playing "Enter Sandman" as part of "Peruvian Skies".   They didn't have to call Lars and get specific written permission (though as colleagues and friends they may have, who knows).   This is also why Kiss and Def Leppard (and Iron Maiden and Little River Band and Foreigner) have all re-recorded versions of their songs and released them when faced with obstruction from their former record companies (it is also why I was surprised that DT never recut WDADU with LaBrie).   The "Ytsejam" thing complicates things, and I understand there is a specific prohibition against releasing anything that might have reasonably come out on the Ytsejam label in the past (certainly anything that has the current members of DT on it; I believe both sides have addressed that publicly after the split).   I honestly don't know if a "Shattered Fortress" set will ever be released; it's potentially something that was addressed at the time of the breakup and it will depend on how it was addressed.   

I haven't even talked about "billing" the shows either; that is a whole different ball of wax. 

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #361 on: February 15, 2017, 09:41:55 AM »
"Owning rights" is often about what the owner can do or not do, but it is just as often about preventing others from doing.  I know a little more about the Queensryche thing because of the court cases and some of the disclosures, and absent any agreement there was nothing stopping Tater from performing Mindcrime or Mindcrime II in their entirety, but there was nothing stopping the LaTorre version from doing the same.  I believe the "agreement" there is that the LaTorre version CANNOT stage their own opera and compete with Tater.    I would guess - though it's purely a guess - that Mike's statement about owning the rights to the Suite is similar.   I know nothing, I've been told nothing, but I suspect the recent performances of A Change of Seasons by DT have not gone down well with Mike, and yet there's not really anything he can do, absent a specific agreement between the parties that "X entity will not perform Y song in public without the prior written permission (or active participation) of Z". 

Any band can play ANY song live.  Venues pay fees to publishing companies, which allows for the performance of copyrighted music and cover songs.  There are no laws against an artist playing a song that is not written by them.  Why can Billy Joel play an AC/DC song live?  Because he wants to.  The same goes for any band, whether it's a bar band or international artist.

Queensryche went through a legal and corporate buyout, and Tate was smart to negotiate certain rights and terms for restricting a full performance of Mindcrime by the band.  Portnoy's statement above is just a regret that he wishes he could have obtained a similar right, preventing DT from performing the 12 Step Suite without him.

Could Portnoy have hurt feelings that DT is playing ACOS?  Sure.  But there isn't anything that says that they can't play it - it is a Dream Theater song.  Period.  The same goes for the Portnoy playing covers of the 12 Step Suite.  He can play whatever song he wants to play live.

The only time rights come into play is if he wanted to release a recorded version of the song - he'd have to pay Dream Theater for the ability to release the music. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #362 on: February 15, 2017, 09:50:00 AM »
Could Portnoy have hurt feelings that DT is playing ACOS?  Sure.  But there isn't anything that says that they can't play it - it is a Dream Theater song.  Period.  The same goes for the Portnoy playing covers of the 12 Step Suite.  He can play whatever song he wants to play live.

The only time rights come into play is if he wanted to release a recorded version of the song - he'd have to pay Dream Theater for the ability to release the music.

That begs the question though that Portnoy advertised this as The Shattered Fortress.  Does that naming have any legal rights of ownership?  This discussion is interesting.  I've always wondered how this stuff works, but also always figured that a live cover is legally OK since it happens all of the time.

I saw Reel Big Fish recently and they finished the set with their cover of "Take on Me" which was actually a pretty popular song for them (their cover of it) so it makes me wonder how all that works legally/money wise.  They have a 10 million viewed music video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHpU0ZfXZ_g  I see the ad revenue estimated to be 15k for that music video on youtube.  Where does that money go?  Says owned by VEVO.

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #363 on: February 15, 2017, 10:28:39 AM »

That begs the question though that Portnoy advertised this as The Shattered Fortress.  Does that naming have any legal rights of ownership?  This discussion is interesting.  I've always wondered how this stuff works, but also always figured that a live cover is legally OK since it happens all of the time.

I'd just guess that he needed a name for the band so it could be advertised, and Shattered Fortress sounded cooler than Mike Portnoy's Glass Prison or Mike Portnoy's 12 Steps Live!.   ;D

The Shattered Fortress is just a pairing of three words together.  Someone can trademark a phrase, but a song title isn't automatically trademarked, nor does it come with a trademark upon copyrighting, to my knowledge.  The music is copyrighted, but the title isn't.  Hence how you can have different bands release songs with the same titles (Megadeth and Iced Earth both have songs and albums titled Dystopia, but feature different musical compositions.)

As far as cover songs - the rights to a cover song are purchased and obtained prior to its release.  I think it can be recorded at any time, but not released until the rights are purchased.  Megadeth recorded a cover of These Boots, and the revenues generated were paid to the owner of the publishing rights of the original song.  Dave's been on record saying that the songwriter cashed his checks for years before objecting to their change in lyrics.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #364 on: February 15, 2017, 10:36:45 AM »
I loved the Dudes version of These Boots.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #365 on: February 15, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
Ross did a great job, but doesn't have the grit or the power to bring these songs to life as JLB did. I agree to the earlier sentiment, that it shows that despite all the criticism and hate he gets he is somewhat irreplaceable.
With this and the previous posts about the vocalists with the same sentiment, I get the impression people are comparing these live performances with JLB's studio performances. Which hardly seems fair.

Don't get me wrong, I love JLB. And even on off nights, his voice has a lovely unique quality that is such a signature part of DT's sound. Instrumentally, the musicians can generate guitar tones and keyboard patches that match DT's well, but it'll always sound different with anyone other than James. But different doesn't always mean worse.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #366 on: February 15, 2017, 02:59:24 PM »

Any band can play ANY song live.  Venues pay fees to publishing companies, which allows for the performance of copyrighted music and cover songs.  There are no laws against an artist playing a song that is not written by them.  Why can Billy Joel play an AC/DC song live?  Because he wants to.  The same goes for any band, whether it's a bar band or international artist.

Queensryche went through a legal and corporate buyout, and Tate was smart to negotiate certain rights and terms for restricting a full performance of Mindcrime by the band.  Portnoy's statement above is just a regret that he wishes he could have obtained a similar right, preventing DT from performing the 12 Step Suite without him.

That's all consistent with what I said, with the proviso that anyone can contract with anyone else provided there is consideration.  it is possible, though not likely that the parties we're talking about (QR, DT, Tater or Mike), in their "severance agreements", COULD have a clause preventing the other from playing particular songs.  It's easier with the full performance of a Mindcrime, because as I noted, those are sometimes treated separately.   

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #367 on: February 15, 2017, 03:08:04 PM »
Ross did a great job, but doesn't have the grit or the power to bring these songs to life as JLB did. I agree to the earlier sentiment, that it shows that despite all the criticism and hate he gets he is somewhat irreplaceable.
With this and the previous posts about the vocalists with the same sentiment, I get the impression people are comparing these live performances with JLB's studio performances. Which hardly seems fair.
I get what you're saying, but that's not the point at all. As I mentioned earlier, I thought that Ross kicked some major ass and was the best among all the singers involved, but I don't think his timbre is as great for these songs as JLB's and vice versa; I just can't imagine JLB singing some Haken and pulling it off as amazingly well as Ross does. I'm probably biased because I've been listening these songs with JLB for years (obviously), but that's about it. I don't think all of the others that have posted similar things to me have meant to start a live Ross vs. studio JLB feud.

It's not a competition, music should never be a competition. All I said is that hearing these (great) versions of the AA suite made me appreciate JLB's role in Dream Theater even more.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #368 on: February 15, 2017, 04:11:16 PM »
I get what you're saying, but that's not the point at all. As I mentioned earlier, I thought that Ross kicked some major ass and was the best among all the singers involved, but I don't think his timbre is as great for these songs as JLB's and vice versa; I just can't imagine JLB singing some Haken and pulling it off as amazingly well as Ross does. I'm probably biased because I've been listening these songs with JLB for years (obviously), but that's about it. I don't think all of the others that have posted similar things to me have meant to start a live Ross vs. studio JLB feud.

It's not a competition, music should never be a competition. All I said is that hearing these (great) versions of the AA suite made me appreciate JLB's role in Dream Theater even more.
For sure, I'd basically agree with all of that and like I said JLB's unique voice is an integral part of DT's sound. And yeah all three of the other singers have quite a different style that won't fit with our expectations of these songs (Ted probably gets closest, I would say).

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Operation: Slothcrime
« Reply #369 on: February 15, 2017, 06:36:51 PM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Art

« Reply #371 on: February 15, 2017, 08:00:04 PM »
That's a cool vídeo! :metal

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #372 on: February 15, 2017, 09:49:40 PM »
That was cool.

Damn, I can only imagine the ungodly amount of practicing Eric Gillette must have done for this.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #373 on: February 15, 2017, 10:20:59 PM »
One of the Haken guys told me they were practicing for over six months to get ready for this, and they weren't pulling off all the solos Eric was. 
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Adami

« Reply #374 on: February 15, 2017, 10:33:01 PM »

That being said, Portnoy probably had this band assembled months ago; which kinda makes it kinda inexcusable for the 'they were not prepared' thing.

Haken and the other guitarist were very well prepared. The only person I saw that seemed very unprepared was Daniel, and I doubt he was in on it and practicing months ago, he was likely brought in last minute.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #375 on: February 16, 2017, 12:04:06 AM »
Also it looks like they played all of repentance, ending and all. I'd love to see a quality video of how they pulled that off, the only one I saw actually was distorted to the point of being worthless.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online Mladen

« Reply #376 on: February 16, 2017, 01:15:10 AM »
That was a fantastic video. What a talented bunch.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #377 on: February 16, 2017, 02:46:37 AM »
Also it looks like they played all of repentance, ending and all. I'd love to see a quality video of how they pulled that off, the only one I saw actually was distorted to the point of being worthless.

If you mean this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUk0tLdmt2Y   I think that's the way it actually sounded.. Right at 6:54 when the voices' section starts it does sound very distorted and you can see Ross covering his ears right away..

But yeah, I also hope to see something with better quality, of the whole thing....
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #378 on: February 16, 2017, 02:56:41 AM »

If you mean this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUk0tLdmt2Y   I think that's the way it actually sounded.. Right at 6:54 when the voices' section starts it does sound very distorted and you can see Ross covering his ears right away..

But yeah, I also hope to see something with better quality, of the whole thing....
One thing I noticed in all the videos was that it looks like it was reasonably windy, which can screw with the sound even for those who are there in person. Wonder if Nick or Bill or anyone else who was there could shed some light on the overall sound quality.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2017, 05:17:20 AM »
Eric is definitely the MVP of this cruise.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2017, 06:13:46 AM »
Rehearsal Footage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVoIckva180&feature=youtu.be

lol Daniel Gildenlöw looks as if he doesn't want to be there :')
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #381 on: February 16, 2017, 06:28:34 AM »
I just watched Repentance. Between MP's vocals, the never-ending outro, the piped-in apologies, that song doesn't work at all IMHO.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #382 on: February 16, 2017, 07:29:44 AM »
Rehearsal Footage

Dunno if I'd say that - to me he looks more like he just doesn't really know what's going on. :lol

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Art

« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2017, 07:48:21 AM »
Rehearsal Footage

Dunno if I'd say that - to me he looks more like he just doesn't really know what's going on. :lol

Exactly my thoughts.  :lol

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:19 AM »
Yeah, that's probably a better description :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey