Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210770 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #280 on: February 12, 2017, 05:57:21 PM »
TDS felt like it was going to fall apart at a few points with some misunderstandings of the time sig changes,

I did not notice this at all. I thought they pulled it off one hundred percent instrumentally.

Go back and listen to the "Now that you can see all you have done" section. They manage to recover before trainwrecking it, but things get sketchy for a moment there.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #281 on: February 12, 2017, 06:31:44 PM »
This dying soul is one of my favorite songs ever written and Daniel is a god, so I am a happy camper  :smiley:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #282 on: February 12, 2017, 06:32:11 PM »
Overall I think this is a totally fine rendition. The only thing I would say is that I always assumed this was going to be an "ultimate edition", sort of a director's cut that truly reflects MP's intent about the piece. That, I would say, it is not. I think the existing DT recordings remain as the de facto standard renditions.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Skeever

« Reply #283 on: February 12, 2017, 06:57:12 PM »
All things being equal, I'd take prime LaBrie over prime Jennings. But yeah, I'd take modern day Jennings over modern day LaBrie easily. I guess different strokes, but for me I don't even have to think that hard about it.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #284 on: February 12, 2017, 07:42:14 PM »
Would of loved for Daniel to sing the whole thing. But it seems that Daniel's performance was kind of a last minute decision maybe? Or maybe he didn't prepare well enough? Seems like in that video he is reading the lyrics very frequently.

Ross did a good job. I liked his performance.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #285 on: February 12, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
What I really liked about Daniel was when he actually sang the way he sings in PoS.. The presence of his voice -and even changing the melody a little- in the "this dying soooooul" parts in the chorus, and his rap thing in "smoking the residue" or "a hopeless affliction"..

You don't hear every day a guy like this, along with one of your favorite bands and along with your favorite drummer playing one of your favorites songs from your favorite band... Do I need to mention how glad I am?...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #286 on: February 12, 2017, 10:54:38 PM »
I'm hoping some of the Gildenlow stuff will show up eventually.

I don't think the Haken guy sounds bad. It should be taken into account that he doesn't have nearly as much experience singing this stuff as LaBrie. LaBrie's been singing this stuff live for years. IMHO LaBrie's always sounded awkward when singing in an aggressive manner.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2017, 11:00:43 PM by Herrick »
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #287 on: February 12, 2017, 11:04:52 PM »
I don't think the Haken guy sounds bad. It should be taken into account that he doesn't have nearly as much experience singing this stuff as LaBrie. LaBrie's been singing this stuff live for years. IMHO LaBrie's always sounded awkward when singing in an aggressive manner.
In my opinion, JLB's aggressive singing usually sounds good in the studio, but I agree that it's not always great, and does sometimes sound awkward, live.

Offline Art

« Reply #288 on: February 13, 2017, 04:21:33 AM »
From the videos, it was an very fun show. Eric Gillette really does a good JP impression. The Haken guys are all pretty good. Vocal-wise i think the best one was Ted, but with these videos it's hard to tell. And i'm sure MP thought i would be uncool just to get one of the guitar players from Haken so he asked them both.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #289 on: February 13, 2017, 06:13:21 AM »
Watching a video of Yes' set from the cruise, at Wakeman (I think?) has (and this is what I count), at least 10 keyboards, some other midi controller, pedals, 3 laptops, and an FX rack.

Someone's got to let that guy know... all that technology and he's probably just scratching the surface of all of it, not realizing the days of needed a different piece of gear for each sound are over. I mean... Neal Morse was on the boat too, right?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #290 on: February 13, 2017, 06:43:32 AM »
Just watched TGP, pretty solid.  No issues with Ross from me, I feel he is very similar to JLB in the fact that his vocals seem to be discussed a lot in the band filled with talented musicians (sound familiar?). 

I also have no issues with Haken essentially being MP's backing band, but I think myself and others were under the impression it would be more of a super group.  I guess when you add up between both sets and the LTE songs too, there is enough different musicians to maybe say that. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #291 on: February 13, 2017, 06:50:45 AM »
Watching a video of Yes' set from the cruise, at Wakeman (I think?) has (and this is what I count), at least 10 keyboards, some other midi controller, pedals, 3 laptops, and an FX rack.

Someone's got to let that guy know... all that technology and he's probably just scratching the surface of all of it, not realizing the days of needed a different piece of gear for each sound are over. I mean... Neal Morse was on the boat too, right?

Well, Neal isn't exactly a wizard in that regard himself I would say. Maybe this has gotten better, but his first 5 solo albums or so used the same tired keyboard patches with little variation.
And on that note, JR could use some new patches as well.

Online Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #292 on: February 13, 2017, 06:54:43 AM »
Hard to tell in the video, but are all of the guitarists playing Petrucci guitars?

Yeah, I believe so. From what I saw of the NMB sets on the cruise I think Eric normally plays one of the JP 7 string models, but Rich and Charlie definitely don't play those normally. I'm just assuming it's a tone thing, but I did think it was a little odd.

They played them all the way from Aquarius up to and including Visions and some of the shows for the Mountain. At some point they switched to the Strandbergs, though I've seen Charlie play one before, during the Visions shows, presumably because he'd needed the eighth string. Richard played the JP7 and a Telecaster at that particular show. Now both guitarists use the Strandbergs predominantly.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #293 on: February 13, 2017, 08:04:08 AM »

I wasn't there, but did Wakeman play with Yes?  I thought Geoff Downes was playing keys for Yes at this point? 

Offline Skeever

« Reply #294 on: February 13, 2017, 08:24:15 AM »

Well, Neal isn't exactly a wizard in that regard himself I would say. Maybe this has gotten better, but his first 5 solo albums or so used the same tired keyboard patches with little variation.
And on that note, JR could use some new patches as well.

Oh, totally. I wasn't commenting on the quality of patches (not sure Downes, or Wakeman, or whoever are any better in that regard). I was more commenting on the number of keyboards. At least Morse gets the same number (and probably quality) of sounds from a few keyboards, and Rudess only needs one.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #295 on: February 13, 2017, 01:44:13 PM »
That's definitely a somewhat annoying trend in prog. Back in the day I actually thought MP's kit size was approaching silly levels, little did I know what was in store...

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #296 on: February 13, 2017, 02:25:57 PM »
I gotta agree with you Rumborak.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #297 on: February 13, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »
Atleast JP can't play three guitars at the same time.  :neverusethis:

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #298 on: February 13, 2017, 03:29:08 PM »
Shattered Fortress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sDtIiZ8a7E

I think Ross did a pretty good job on this.  Whoever was harmonizing was pretty bad though. 

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #299 on: February 13, 2017, 04:03:50 PM »
Whoever was harmonizing was pretty bad though. 
Er, MP? :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #300 on: February 13, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »

Him, plus the guitarist dude that isn't part of Haken was doing some harmonizing as well.

Though, none of us can say the harmonizing was bad since the video quality wasn't great.  :yarr
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #301 on: February 13, 2017, 04:07:32 PM »
Also, I'm currently watching the last LTE live show (with the real band) and I'm realizing more and more that LTE should never include a different member. The band's energy is derived by those specific musicians and their specific chemistry. I don't think it was a great idea for MP to try to duplicate it with a different guitarist/keyboardist, and I don't think LTE should try it with a different drummer. Maybe if they played new music instead, but trying to do the old songs just sounds a bit stale without that right chemistry.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #302 on: February 13, 2017, 04:16:24 PM »
Though, none of us can say the harmonizing was bad since the video quality wasn't great.  :yarr
:biggrin:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #303 on: February 13, 2017, 04:26:40 PM »

Him, plus the guitarist dude that isn't part of Haken was doing some harmonizing as well.

I'm pretty sure the cringe worthy part was not MP although in the Glass Prison he seemed to struggle a little with the harmonies.  That was more forgivable.  But man, if it was the Eric Gillette guy doing the high harmonies, it pretty much solidifies my opinion of his voice. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #304 on: February 13, 2017, 04:28:08 PM »
Slightly off topic, but why was Daniel there?

Did PoS perform? Or was he literally there just to do the guest spots with Transatlantic and MP?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #305 on: February 13, 2017, 05:41:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure the cringe worthy part was not MP although in the Glass Prison he seemed to struggle a little with the harmonies.  That was more forgivable.  But man, if it was the Eric Gillette guy doing the high harmonies, it pretty much solidifies my opinion of his voice.

Eric sounds okay on Neal Morse's latest record (better than Neil I'd say, but I just hate his voice so it doesn't say much  :lol). I gotta admit he struggles a lot live based on these videos.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #306 on: February 13, 2017, 05:46:41 PM »

Did PoS perform? Or was he literally there just to do the guest spots with Transatlantic and MP?

I believe PoS was on the bill
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #307 on: February 13, 2017, 06:25:00 PM »
Also, I'm currently watching the last LTE live show (with the real band) and I'm realizing more and more that LTE should never include a different member. The band's energy is derived by those specific musicians and their specific chemistry. I don't think it was a great idea for MP to try to duplicate it with a different guitarist/keyboardist, and I don't think LTE should try it with a different drummer. Maybe if they played new music instead, but trying to do the old songs just sounds a bit stale without that right chemistry.

Imagine if MPs true vision came through and it had Dimebag Darrell as a guitarist.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #308 on: February 13, 2017, 06:27:07 PM »

I believe PoS was on the bill

Yes indeed, PoS was one of the other bands on the cruise.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2017, 07:07:07 PM »

I think the same applies to Transatlantic. 

Having said that, it was obviously impossible for him to get every band member for all of these bands on the cruise, so doing them this way as a one-off for the cruise was fine, I think.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2017, 09:31:54 PM »
So, I'm only half-informed about this whole thing, but was that the only event at which the 12SS will be played? I somehow thought there would be more, but then I can't imagine MP lugging around Daniel Gildenlow and Haken just for the purpose of this thing.

Offline Adami

« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2017, 09:36:26 PM »
So, I'm only half-informed about this whole thing, but was that the only event at which the 12SS will be played? I somehow thought there would be more, but then I can't imagine MP lugging around Daniel Gildenlow and Haken just for the purpose of this thing.

It's happening at at least one more event, one of those prog-power type things (maybe even prog-power, I dunno). I believe Haken will be playing there anyway, and assuming PoS isn't there, the dude from Haken will probably just sing more of it, or he'll ask someone else there to read lyrics....I mean sing with them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: February 13, 2017, 09:40:46 PM »

It's happening at at least one more event, one of those prog-power type things (maybe even prog-power, I dunno). I believe Haken will be playing there anyway, and assuming PoS isn't there, the dude from Haken will probably just sing more of it, or he'll ask someone else there to read lyrics....I mean sing with them.
To be fair, I've heard that song MANY times, and I don't know those lyrics. Granted, unless it was very last minute, you should probably show up to a gig prepared.

Offline Adami

« Reply #313 on: February 13, 2017, 09:42:14 PM »

To be fair, I've heard that song MANY times, and I don't know those lyrics. Granted, unless it was very last minute, you should probably show up to a gig prepared.

Oh I know, it was just funny. You had the Haken dude who sang most of the suite doing just fine, the root of all evil guy (who I liked) doing fine too, and Daniel reading off a piece of paper. It's likely he was a last minute edition.

Also, are there any vids of PoS at this show? That I'd like to see. I didn't even realize they played.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #314 on: February 13, 2017, 09:46:39 PM »
Also, I get the impression that the guys in Haken are big fans of DT's music, and Ross was probably familiar with the song, while I would guess the opposite is true of Daniel.

But yes, I would love to see some video of PoS.