Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210731 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Predictions for MP's Shattered Fortress Tour?
« Reply #245 on: February 12, 2017, 01:26:52 PM »

I'll grant you that poor quality vids aren't always a great way to make a judgement, but I really can't agree with this mentality that seeing it in person gives you an objective view on what happened, and a video can never be seen as worth judging. People who see things in person almost always say it's amazing, perfect or sublime and then when they rewatch it (even in amazing quality) they realize all the stuff they just didn't notice because of the energy at the time. Meanwhile, a bad video is only worth ignoring if it's REALLY bad quality. None of the videos posted here are such bad quality that we can't possibly make a judgment from them. Might that judgment change if a high quality video is released? Of course! But we lack that. And short of not having any discussion whatsoever, this is the best we can do.

Totally agree.  It's always easy to overlook or not care about flaws when caught up in the euphoria of the live show.  Heck, Neal Morse completely butchered his own guitar solo in Draw the Line when I saw them 2 1/2 weeks ago, but I was having so much fun, I couldn't have cared less.

I think another great example of this is Metallica's show in Demark that Het tried to stop. If you see the vids, he literally sounds like a barking dog. He sounded so bad that he told the audience they deserve better, but they loved it so much they told him to keep going, and I bet if he hadn't said anything, a lot of those people would have left the show thinking he sounded great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #246 on: February 12, 2017, 01:29:26 PM »
Man, if I were at home and not still on vacation it would take up all my time responding to some of the silliness in this thread. My ONLY complaints in an otherwise AMAZING set were that I wish they would have only used two guitarists at a time, and I wish Daniel didn't spend half of his song looking down at lyrics. Performance wise though everyone nailed it.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #247 on: February 12, 2017, 01:35:46 PM »
he literally sounds like a barking dog.

Is that not the norm for Metallica?  (not in a bad way)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #248 on: February 12, 2017, 01:37:53 PM »
Man, the one time I saw Metallica ('97 or '98), the concert the was so loud that he could have barked like a dog the entire show, and no one would have been the wiser. :lol :lol

Online Adami

« Reply #249 on: February 12, 2017, 01:39:09 PM »
he literally sounds like a barking dog.

Is that not the norm for Metallica?  (not in a bad way)

........no.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #250 on: February 12, 2017, 01:41:01 PM »
Meanwhile, a bad video is only worth ignoring if it's REALLY bad quality. None of the videos posted here are such bad quality that we can't possibly make a judgment from them.
Disagree really quite strongly. Very loud concerts almost always create a lot of distortion on microphones which aren't designed for those sorts of volumes, like on phone cameras. And one of the ways that can be most keenly noticed is in vocal pitch/volume. This happens again and again and again and yet people for some reason use it as evidence of bad live vocals for basically every singer in the world.

With these ones, the TGP vid is the least bad of the bunch but still somewhat distorted, but the TDS and TROAE ones are awful.

And the argument that "we don't have anything better so we'll just make judgements based on these" is very silly.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #251 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
Answer to an much earlier question, Eric handled pretty much all of the solos, and was essentially the lead guitarist of the bunch.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

« Reply #252 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »
What we have is fine. We can clearly tell the pitch/tone of voice in the video. The distortion is not a problem in these videos (can't speak for the TROAE one, since I haven't seen it), but all of the comments about the Haken guy are coming from a fine quality video. Not anything below professional is worth disregarding.

And the argument isn't silly at all BECAUSE what we have is fine. If we had nothing but truly terrible quality vids, you'd be right. But my point was that what we have is enough and saying "no judgments without a professionally filmed recording" is silly.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #253 on: February 12, 2017, 01:45:52 PM »
Answer to an much earlier question, Eric handled pretty much all of the solos, and was essentially the lead guitarist of the bunch.
From the TDS video posted it looks like the three of them took it in turns for the unison at the end.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #254 on: February 12, 2017, 01:50:14 PM »
What we have is fine. We can clearly tell the pitch/tone of voice in the video. The distortion is not a problem in these videos (can't speak for the TROAE one, since I haven't seen it), but all of the comments about the Haken guy are coming from a fine quality video. Not anything below professional is worth disregarding.

And the argument isn't silly at all BECAUSE what we have is fine. If we had nothing but truly terrible quality vids, you'd be right. But my point was that what we have is enough and saying "no judgments without a professionally filmed recording" is silly.

Agreed, especially since professional recordings are almost always touched up, fixed, etc.

But I will cut ariich some slack here, since I think the Haken singer is his cousin or something.  I'd be sticking up for a family member, too. :coolio

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #255 on: February 12, 2017, 01:54:59 PM »
But I will cut ariich some slack here, since I think the Haken singer is his cousin or something.  I'd be sticking up for a family member, too. :coolio
:lol Nah I don't really know Ross that well. And as I said the TGP recording is the least bad one of the three.

And I'm not talking about touched-up professional recordings, I'm just talking about good quality mics that don't distort. This has bugged me for ages - we get it with JLB all the time.

I be am boner inducing.

Online Adami

« Reply #256 on: February 12, 2017, 02:06:24 PM »
Totally get that. I still don't think the videos for TGP were at that level. I think the quality wasn't great, but it was good enough to tell what was happening accurately.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I also didn't say the dude sounded bad by any means, just that he wasn't a great choice for the songs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #257 on: February 12, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
No again the TGP vid wasn't too terrible, though it was still distorting here and there. The TDS vid was shoddy though and you did also comment on DG's singing. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #258 on: February 12, 2017, 02:27:01 PM »
Just to be clear I understand you correctly: a bad distorted recording just doesn't sound bad and distorted. It alters vocal pitch also? Serious question because I never heard of it before.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #259 on: February 12, 2017, 02:28:50 PM »
There are TRoAE vids too?.. I couldn't find them anywhere...
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #260 on: February 12, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »
I wrote all five of these songs with the intention of them being performed from start to finish

Portnoy's talking about the lyrics right? Might be misleading for people who don't know how the band wrote music when Portnoy was a member.

https://loudwire.com/mike-portnoy-shattered-fortress-not-new-band-project-is-event/?trackback=tsmclip

DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #261 on: February 12, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »
A little bummed that it was just MP + Haken + Eric Gilette and a few singers but would still have loved to see it.
Don't feel like travelling too long for this though.

Soo sad that this was never done with MP in DT... oh well I guess a cover version of it is better than none at all.

But from what I understand this will never be officially released so I will never get to see or hear it properly.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #262 on: February 12, 2017, 02:49:37 PM »
A little bummed that it was just MP + Haken + Eric Gilette and a few singers but would still have loved to see it.

Soo sad that this was never done with MP in DT... oh well I guess a cover version of it is better than none at all.

But from what I understand this will never be officially released so I will never get to see or hear it properly.

Would Portnoy be able to release it as an unofficial bootleg or was that only permissible while he was in Dream Theater?
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #263 on: February 12, 2017, 02:56:10 PM »
From the TDS video posted it looks like the three of them took it in turns for the unison at the end.

Yeah, Eric handled all the solos but they traded off on the TDS unison (which seems a bit cruel :lol) and there were a couple other spots where I think it would normally be a guitar + keyboard unison but they would have either Rich or Charlie playing the unison along with Eric and Diego.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #264 on: February 12, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »

Would Portnoy be able to release it as an unofficial bootleg or was that only permissible while he was in Dream Theater?

He'd need their publisher's permission

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #265 on: February 12, 2017, 03:11:57 PM »

He'd need their publisher's permission

There's an interview out there where MP said he wouldn't record/release anything. That it's too big a legal nightmare.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #266 on: February 12, 2017, 03:26:33 PM »
That seems exaggerated. Maybe someone who understands the copyright laws better can step in, but how is it that different from DT releasing a covers album? Or even PSMS doing a DVD that includes DT songs. Is it just that he doesn't want DT to earn any royalties?

I'd imagine it's pretty hard to just go from TDS to TROAE since they're in different tunings.
It really isn't that big of a deal though, TROAE can easily be played on a 7 string.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #267 on: February 12, 2017, 03:32:21 PM »
Just to be clear I understand you correctly: a bad distorted recording just doesn't sound bad and distorted. It alters vocal pitch also? Serious question because I never heard of it before.
Not only vocals (happens quite noticeably with guitar sometimes too), but yeah distortion can affect pitch (and also volume, obviously, as the different sounds compete for limited audio space).

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #268 on: February 12, 2017, 03:45:03 PM »
TDS

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nealmorseforum/permalink/380144832365639/

WOW!! AWESOME!!!!

WTF? Did the singer go offstage halfway through and grow a beard? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #269 on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:25 PM »
So basically it was Haken covering DT with MP on Drums and Eric Giellete as lead.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #270 on: February 12, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Musically, both TDS and TROAE were quite good.
TDS felt like it was going to fall apart at a few points with some misunderstandings of the time sig changes, but overall it was impressive that they managed such a full on song as well as they did. The singer was definitely the weak link with a lot of flat notes.
TROAE held together better, and the vocalist did an OK job considering.

I'm not disappointed by the fact this was basically Haken + MP. I don't believe they could have managed these songs as well as they did with a collection of unrelated musicians, as amazing as they may have been individually.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #271 on: February 12, 2017, 04:40:11 PM »
Where's the TROAE vid?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #273 on: February 12, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »
Hard to tell in the video, but are all of the guitarists playing Petrucci guitars?

Also this vocalist seems to fit the music a lot better than Daniel and the Haken dude. (see that Ariich? I said something positive)

Also, I just realized that of the singers that did sing, Daniel might have sounded really good on Repentance.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #274 on: February 12, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
Hard to tell in the video, but are all of the guitarists playing Petrucci guitars?

Yeah, I believe so. From what I saw of the NMB sets on the cruise I think Eric normally plays one of the JP 7 string models, but Rich and Charlie definitely don't play those normally. I'm just assuming it's a tone thing, but I did think it was a little odd.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #275 on: February 12, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »
I don't know about Charlie but I remember Rich was playing JP guitars up until the Mountain era. I'm guessing for the Haken guys it was more out of homage than anything else.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #276 on: February 12, 2017, 05:33:26 PM »
Haken guys used JP models for their 7-string stuff before they switched to full Strandberg 8-string mode.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #277 on: February 12, 2017, 05:39:59 PM »
TDS felt like it was going to fall apart at a few points with some misunderstandings of the time sig changes,

I did not notice this at all. I thought they pulled it off one hundred percent instrumentally.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #278 on: February 12, 2017, 05:46:48 PM »
TDS felt like it was going to fall apart at a few points with some misunderstandings of the time sig changes,

I did not notice this at all. I thought they pulled it off one hundred percent instrumentally.

Yeah, I think Blob was about to fall apart at a few points. :P
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #279 on: February 12, 2017, 05:52:41 PM »

Right before "All your sins will only..." MP made a little mistake with the time signature, although they quickly fixed it.... but apart from that, I didn't notice anything else either..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)