Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212640 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #2065 on: July 28, 2017, 01:29:44 PM »
Just a question, that I guess nobody has never asked or the band never adressed about: why Kevin Moore haven't any writting credit on ACoS and neither Derek on any part of SFaM?

Writing credits are a funny thing.  Based on my general knowledge of how things often go in bands, I am going to make a couple of educated guesses that it was one or a combination of the following:
(1)  Even though Kev played on the initial demo/live versions of ACOS and Derek played on the initial demo version of the SFAM instrumental, it could be that neither of them contributed substantially to the writing of either of those.  Or, based on how writing credit is done internally within the band, even if they did contribute somewhat, it might not have been enough for the band to consider giving them writing credit for it.
(2)  Sometimes, even if some initial ideas are from a certain band member and they subsequently leave the band before the song is finished, they might not get credit.  Depends on the band.  I'm not aware of DT doing that, but I can't rule it out.
(3)  It might be that they waived credit in their agreements when they left the band.

But, ultimately, we don't know.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:48:10 PM by bosk1 »
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #2066 on: July 28, 2017, 01:38:01 PM »
The moment we've been waiting for.... part 3

https://youtu.be/wLxqNFXKQtI

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2067 on: July 28, 2017, 01:45:56 PM »
Just a question, that I guess nobody has never asked or the band never adressed about: why Kevin Moore haven't any writting credit on ACoS and neither Derek on any part of SFaM?

Writing credits are a funny thing.  Based on my general knowledge of how things often go in bands, I am going to make a couple of educating guesses that it was one or a combination of the following:
(1)  Even though Kev played on the initial demo/live versions of ACOS and Derek played on the initial demo version of the SFAM instrumental, it could be that neither of them contributed substantially to the writing of either of those.  Or, based on how writing credit is done internally within the band, even if they did contribute somewhat, it might not have been enough for the band to consider giving them writing credit for it.
(2)  Sometimes, even if some initial ideas are from a certain band member and they subsequently leave the band before the song is finished, they might not get credit.  Depends on the band.  I'm not aware of DT doing that, but I can't rule it out.
(3)  It might be that they waived credit in their agreements when they left the band.

But, ultimately, we don't know.

Cool, Bosk, thanks! IMO it's hard to imagine that they, as keyboardists, they hadn't some substancial inputs on those epic songs (what Metropolis II was at the time). They seem a truly collaborative instrumental effort by all the band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2068 on: July 28, 2017, 05:21:44 PM »
I remember Blaze Bayley complaining about not receiving writing credits for Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors and a third song off Brave New World.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #2069 on: July 28, 2017, 06:00:45 PM »
I wonder if Derek got bought out. Meaning, Hey, you're out of the band. Anything we may have jammed on belongs to us but here's a nice check.

Mike said in, I think, Lifting Shadows that they were worried he would sue. So he didn't. I wonder if Derek just said "ok best of luck" and anything he may have had a hand in coming up with he figured there was no point in making an issue about it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2070 on: July 28, 2017, 06:03:41 PM »
The Metropolis Part 2 jam was one of, what, six "songs" that didn't make it to FII, so I doubt Sherinian thought much of it would amount to anything, much less the genesis of what would become a huge record for them after his departure, so I doubt he had much thought to signing away co-writing rights to it.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2071 on: July 28, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »
I remember Blaze Bayley complaining about not receiving writing credits for Blood Brothers, Dream of Mirrors and a third song off Brave New World.

Finding out that Blood Brothers was written during the time period of VXI suddenly makes SO MUCH SENSE. 

SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2072 on: July 28, 2017, 07:13:08 PM »
To me the most interesting tidbit from that interview was that he would consider reuniting with O.S.I. I was rather under the impression that, given his past comments about his experience with them, he would never be open to playing with Kevin Moore again.

...anyone see what I did there?   ::)

The ball is in Kevin NoMoore's court.

fixt

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2073 on: July 28, 2017, 07:26:27 PM »

Finding out that Blood Brothers was written during the time period of VXI suddenly makes SO MUCH SENSE. 

SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE
SO MUCH SENSE

:rollin well said!!!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2074 on: July 29, 2017, 01:15:28 AM »
From live videos what I have seen Eric does really good job with this lineup. I could say he plays solos better than JP himself nowadays! He really is the right guy there!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #2075 on: July 29, 2017, 04:30:33 AM »
The moment we've been waiting for.... part 3

https://youtu.be/wLxqNFXKQtI

As I expected doesn't reveal too much

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #2076 on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:29 AM »
I wonder if Derek got bought out.
I can't remember where I might have heard anything to give me that impression, but I believe that this is the case for both Kevin and Derek.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2077 on: September 24, 2017, 07:51:11 AM »
Anyone going tonight to the show in NY?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2078 on: September 24, 2017, 08:06:28 AM »

I'll be there as well as Nick, cram, milllahhh, I think I heard el barto was going to be in town. Was thinking of heading here beforehand, it's about half a mile from the venue.

https://barcadestmarks.com/
Photobucket sucks.

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2079 on: September 24, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

Oh, I'll be there alright! Should be the absolute best Dream Theater show in 8 years! :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2080 on: September 24, 2017, 10:06:17 AM »

Oh, I'll be there alright! Should be the absolute best Dream Theater show in 8 years! :metal

Except that it's not Dream Theater playing, but keep up the good shtick! :lol :lol

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2081 on: September 24, 2017, 10:12:34 AM »
Call it a covershow if you want, it's still a fantastic show

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2082 on: September 24, 2017, 10:33:27 AM »
I thought it was a great show.  Mike chose very well when he went with the Haken guys.  It was like a cover show, and I certainly missed JLB, and missed JP at times, but it was like a cover show done right.  They were totally prepared and of course the setlist was great and it was really cool to see.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2083 on: September 24, 2017, 10:55:50 AM »
You know whats funny that I just thought about, Didn't MP say he didn't want to play ACoS because DT decided to do it and didn't want to have competition between the two?

Yet, here we are with someone in his own progressive metal band making it like a comptetition, "No cheese-wiz-botz" and the like.

If Shattered Fortress came closer this way, I would have went and saw it. But either way life happens and can't either way.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2084 on: September 24, 2017, 12:32:10 PM »

I'll be there as well as Nick, cram, milllahhh, I think I heard el barto was going to be in town. Was thinking of heading here beforehand, it's about half a mile from the venue.

https://barcadestmarks.com/

Leaving with Nick shortly, probably will be at Barcade for around 4pm.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Hourglass Prison

• DTF.org Alumni
Temp
« Reply #2085 on: September 25, 2017, 07:31:55 AM »
Anyone here go to the Shattered Fortress show last night? How was it?

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Temp
« Reply #2086 on: September 25, 2017, 07:37:33 AM »

Nick, Axeman & Cram all did.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2087 on: September 25, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »

It was really awesome.  I'll write up a review later today and will have video to share.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2088 on: September 25, 2017, 09:07:48 AM »
I was there. Really fun show and I'm glad I went but about halfway through This Dying Soul I was just wishing they had played Scenes all the way through.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #2089 on: September 25, 2017, 09:20:49 AM »
I was there. Really fun show and I'm glad I went but about halfway through This Dying Soul I was just wishing they had played Scenes all the way through.

Well shit, you could have joined for the group picture!
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2090 on: September 25, 2017, 09:48:27 AM »
Great show last night!  I was kinda hoping they might pull out a Falling Into Infinity song in celebration of the album's 20th anniversary, but I'm getting greedy.  Also, Eric Gilette is not human!     
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2091 on: September 25, 2017, 10:01:54 AM »
Great show last night!  I was kinda hoping they might pull out a Falling Into Infinity song in celebration of the album's 20th anniversary, but I'm getting greedy.  Also, Eric Gilette is not human!   

I had hoped they would have too. I think Sons of Apollo will probably play a FII track in its set, however, at some point.

It's really a shame that Portnoy can't bring this all over the U.S. (I totally get why he can't). Besides you, Mike, I had a bunch of other friends there last night, and they all said it was amazing. That element DT has been missing...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline As I Am

• Banned
« Reply #2092 on: September 25, 2017, 10:19:40 AM »
Simply INCREDIBLE performance last night! Not too mention the LOVE, ENERGY & PASSION that was in that room last night :hefdaddy THIS is what is missing from DT since MP left. Not their fault per se since MP was the passionate one in the band and the one who brought the excitement! I give major props to Haken who absolutely NAILED everything, while Eric Gillette is inhuman! :metal

A few times I would just look out through the crowd (from my great vantage point in the VIP deck) and see a sea of happy faces head banging, fist raising, singing loudly and loving every second of it!

I'd absolutely LOVE for MP and this band to tour again (maybe in 2/3 years) and deliver another completely different DT set list, because THIS is how DT music SHOULD be played LIVE!

Looking forward to the I&W show in November, but there's NO WAY it could possibly come close to matching the performance last night!

THANK YOU MP!!!!!!!!!! :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2093 on: September 25, 2017, 10:41:38 AM »
I was there and it was awesome, as others have said. Loved the set (VERY Scenes heavy), and the band was incredible. Ross sounded great, Eric was perfect, the rest of the band never skipped a beat (except when they did... in Home, and MP had to recover - which he did quite nicely). My ONLY complaint was that with the setlist being what it was, the night FLEW by. Overture/Stange Deja Vu felt like one song... then Mirror... then 12Step... it was like it was over before it started. I was happy they did a 3-song encore, but even that went really quick.

Something I noticed on my way out (I hadn't looked at the setlist beforehand)... but the show was eerily similar the DT's 2014 tour. BTFW has Overture 1928, Strange Deja Vu, The Mirror, The Shattered Fortress, The Dance of Eternity, and Finally Free. I'm not complaining about it, and I get why those songs were played for both of those tours, but I just thought it was interesting, and not sure if anyone else had noticed it.
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2094 on: September 25, 2017, 10:44:43 AM »
As someone who has seen both the Shattered Fortress and the Images and Words show, I have to disagree.  But I suppose it depends on what you are looking for, and any show is certainly a different experience with MP behind the kit.  It really was great to see him doing that music again and starting it off with Scenes material made it really cool.  I was glad to have seen that show.  That having been said, it still wasn't DT and I'd prefer to have the DT guys doing their stuff.  This was great as a one off thing.

Online Skeever

« Reply #2095 on: September 25, 2017, 11:00:24 AM »

Your air keyboard expression strip was on point though

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2096 on: September 25, 2017, 11:02:40 AM »
I was hoping to read that after the Scenes... songs MP presented the band and there appeared JP, JR, JLB and JM to perform the 12 steps with MP for one night only at NY

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2097 on: September 25, 2017, 11:11:53 AM »
That would be hard with DT being in Australia. :)

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2098 on: September 25, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
Guys, try to keep the Shattered Fortress stuff here. I'm leaving the MP thread open, but as long as the discussion is about this here, or Sons of Apollo in that thread no reason to have a third MP thread going on.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2099 on: September 25, 2017, 11:42:43 AM »
That would be hard with DT being in Australia. :)

Oh yes, I know, I was ony dreaming awaken