Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212342 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1995 on: July 18, 2017, 09:36:26 AM »
^^^ I said above, I prefer that over the final version by a long shot.

"Cover My Eyes" is one of my favorite DT songs ever.

We haven't mentioned it yet, but that's a fairly unique record from a Petrucci stand point.  I don't know the terminology (I should, since I play guitar, but...) but he uses that harmonic sort of riff technique a fair amount and I like it.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1996 on: July 18, 2017, 09:38:57 AM »
Is Another Day poorly written because they needed Jay Beckenstein to play the soprano sax?

hey, wasn't he in Spyro Gyra?
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1997 on: July 18, 2017, 11:39:51 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_f6-KQF2w&feature=youtu.be

part 2 of this series, another great interview and lives clips

Part 3 to be released soon entitled "Mike on his current relationship to Dream Theater"  - I have a feeling a lot of people in this thread will wanna watch that interview haha
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 11:49:57 AM by FOXAN03 »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1998 on: July 18, 2017, 11:54:22 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig_f6-KQF2w&feature=youtu.be

part 2 of this series, another great interview and lives clips

Part 3 to be released soon entitled "Mike on his current relationship to Dream Theater"  - I have a feeling a lot of people in this thread will wanna watch that interview haha

These interviews have been great.  Really liked this one.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1999 on: July 18, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
Both parts of the interview so far have been great.  Thanks for posting those.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #2000 on: July 18, 2017, 12:59:20 PM »

"Cover My Eyes" is one of my favorite DT songs ever.

We haven't mentioned it yet, but that's a fairly unique record from a Petrucci stand point.  I don't know the terminology (I should, since I play guitar, but...) but he uses that harmonic sort of riff technique a fair amount and I like it.

Agreed on both.

Can't wait for the part 3 on DT...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Skeever

« Reply #2001 on: July 18, 2017, 04:38:06 PM »
I didn't know there were so many Lines In The Sand haters out there.
Top 5 DT song for me. Genuinely wish they had more in that direction.

Offline Ravenfoul

« Reply #2002 on: July 18, 2017, 07:14:32 PM »
Definitely top ten for me. I have a lot of love for FII.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2003 on: July 18, 2017, 07:22:45 PM »

I gotta say, I miss that bluesy rock sound DT used to pull out somewhat-frequently during that time period.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2004 on: July 19, 2017, 07:28:43 AM »
I think the new MP DS prog metal band should definitely cover NM. It's got a signature MP groove and signature DS key sounds.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2005 on: July 19, 2017, 08:05:16 AM »
Great interview! I still think it would have been no problem if both bands played ACOS.

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2006 on: July 19, 2017, 08:18:31 AM »
Great interview! I still think it would have been no problem if both bands played ACOS.

For sure. I am sure both Yes's overlap songs.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2007 on: July 19, 2017, 09:32:32 AM »

I gotta say, I miss that bluesy rock sound DT used to pull out somewhat-frequently during that time period.

Me too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2008 on: July 19, 2017, 09:37:07 AM »

Me too.

Me three.  A lot people seem to point to DS as to why they had a little more "blues rock" thing going on on FII, and I'm sure that had some to do with it but JP was also into playing that kind of stuff at that point. There are some cool older videos of him in this era on YouTube at clinics and stuff of that nature and his playing had a lot of bluesy elements in it. It would seem that starting with SFAM, that started to show up less and less. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #2009 on: July 19, 2017, 10:56:26 AM »

Me too.

Me three.  A lot people seem to point to DS as to why they had a little more "blues rock" thing going on on FII, and I'm sure that had some to do with it but JP was also into playing that kind of stuff at that point. There are some cool older videos of him in this era on YouTube at clinics and stuff of that nature and his playing had a lot of bluesy elements in it. It would seem that starting with SFAM, that started to show up less and less. Not a bad thing, just an observation.

Totally, though I think it started a bit later. And you're right that it has a ton to do with not only Derek's presence but Petrucci's personal preferences. Additionally, JP's distorted tone has just seemed to have gotten heaver and heavier through the years. Which is fine for a lot of applications but he did used to have a simpler, more...pure?  overdriven sound that I miss.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2010 on: July 19, 2017, 11:19:07 AM »
I think the tone Petrucci had on Awake is the heaviest he's had.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2011 on: July 19, 2017, 01:18:05 PM »
Agreed on all the comments about JP's bluesier tone and style in that era. Loved it. That really gave his playing a lot of feel, and to me, that has been missing.

From a heavy standpoint, I'd have to agree the tone on Awake for sure was the crunchiest and heaviest I can recall. And I love it. But that slight bluesy touch he had...and I don't know how to describe it, but that lighter, more atmospheric playing he had from I&W-FII, is sorely missed by me. I'm not a guitarist, so I don't know how to describe it properly, but it's just this tonal thing I hear in his playing back then that is not there any longer. And I don't know why. It was a key element of why I enjoyed DT as much as I did back then.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2012 on: July 19, 2017, 02:21:09 PM »

Heaviest probably, but I think TOT has his best sounding distorted tones.
Cleans were definitely best in the I&W/Awake/FII era.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #2013 on: July 19, 2017, 04:44:56 PM »
There are 33 seeders for the show.

Strange must just be me.. BitTorrent never seems to find any to start the download... never usually happens

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2014 on: July 19, 2017, 06:41:19 PM »
Check your port settings on your router, you may not have the ports open to connect to peers.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2015 on: July 19, 2017, 07:31:06 PM »

I think he multi-tracked a lot on that album to make it sound thicker and heavier. It worked.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2016 on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:14 PM »

I think he multi-tracked a lot on that album to make it sound thicker and heavier. It worked.

I don't think quad-tracking is that much of a difference compared to dual-tracking L and R guitars. Atleast to my ears.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2017 on: July 19, 2017, 10:41:37 PM »
It is though
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2018 on: July 19, 2017, 11:05:03 PM »

I don't think quad-tracking is that much of a difference compared to dual-tracking L and R guitars. Atleast to my ears.

Huge difference.

He's also doing a ton of layering on just about every album. So that's a normal thing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #2019 on: July 20, 2017, 06:43:31 AM »

Huge difference.

He's also doing a ton of layering on just about every album. So that's a normal thing.

It definitely makes a big difference, but that said, I'm pretty sure JP's on record saying Awake was the only album he did quad tracking of the heavy rhythms. 

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2020 on: July 20, 2017, 09:36:21 AM »
I'm pretty sure that's the case as well. It was the case up to and including BC&SL.
Squ

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2021 on: July 22, 2017, 10:14:43 AM »
So much uproar about such a small difference! I admit I didn't notice the difference until now and I don't care. I love the band and the logo (both versions), it's stolen anyway :laugh:

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4938868763_9001645c5c_b.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sun-embroidery.jpg

Exactly.... but don't write that on Charlie's FB auction page 😉

EXACTLY!!

write it on Kevin Moore's

On a side not image if Kevin Moore did this. When people bashed Rudess on Twitter for being too flashy and bring back Moore, if retweeted all of those.

There would still be certain people that scream, "YOU DON'T KNOW THE FULL STORY!!!" or "HE HAS THE RIGHT TO HIS OPINION!!!1!one!!"

I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof. And we all know that is never going to happen.
I am not advocating his style of social media, but he has always done straight honest answers back to the beginning of DT.
It seems that there is a large contingent just waiting to pounce the second a tweet, FB post or interview to comment on how he's an uncaring unthinking douche playing the victim. I know, it's the DTF way. What happened to the day when if you didn't like a TV show you changed the channel, now a days you get on social media and scream until nobody can watch it.
Portnoy could come up with a cure for cancer and there will be plenty of people to bash him because his tweet didn't acknowledge is former assistant.

As most of you know, I did a lot of work for DT and now MP. I don't really care one way or the other what he posts on social media. I'm all for constructive commentary and discussion. But he is who he is. All this stuff is not new, and whether he has put DT in the past or not shouldn't matter, it's his business. Every disagreeable tweet, the reaction is like you(all) have never seen it before, as a matter a fact I think people follow his feeds just to bash him. Is it that much fun to be so negative? Just change the channel.

Words to live by.

But I never changed the channel on social media. Never turned it on in the first place. 

That said. I have to come here to find out what Dream theater and Portnoy are up to.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2022 on: July 22, 2017, 10:34:56 AM »
Love New Millennium, one of the better tracks on FII for me. I really like the King Crimson styled rhythmic stuff.

Was going to say that myself. Now I don't have to say it.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #2023 on: July 22, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
If the writing takes you to the point where you feel you need someone outside your band to perform the part, you took a wrong turn somewhere. Hence i called it poorly written. Maybe not the best phrase. But there is a difference between getting out of your comfort zone to be creative, and straying too far from who you are as an artist.

Wish there was more Pinnick.

Is this the time to bring up Desmond Child?

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #2024 on: July 22, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
Is time to bring up Desmond, child

See ya in Another World, my brotha!..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2025 on: July 22, 2017, 12:43:28 PM »
You Not Me > You or Me

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2026 on: July 22, 2017, 02:42:51 PM »

Huge difference.

It definitely makes a big difference, but that said, I'm pretty sure JP's on record saying Awake was the only album he did quad tracking of the heavy rhythms.

I've always put the heaviness down to the 7 string. And I didn't like it for a long time

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2027 on: July 27, 2017, 08:03:37 AM »
So much uproar about such a small difference! I admit I didn't notice the difference until now and I don't care. I love the band and the logo (both versions), it's stolen anyway :laugh:

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/4938868763_9001645c5c_b.jpg

https://i0.wp.com/dreamtheater.club/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/sun-embroidery.jpg

Exactly.... but don't write that on Charlie's FB auction page 😉

EXACTLY!!

write it on Kevin Moore's

On a side not image if Kevin Moore did this. When people bashed Rudess on Twitter for being too flashy and bring back Moore, if retweeted all of those.

There would still be certain people that scream, "YOU DON'T KNOW THE FULL STORY!!!" or "HE HAS THE RIGHT TO HIS OPINION!!!1!one!!"

I could tell you the full story, but you wouldn't believe me as you need official proof. And we all know that is never going to happen.
I am not advocating his style of social media, but he has always done straight honest answers back to the beginning of DT.
It seems that there is a large contingent just waiting to pounce the second a tweet, FB post or interview to comment on how he's an uncaring unthinking douche playing the victim. I know, it's the DTF way. What happened to the day when if you didn't like a TV show you changed the channel, now a days you get on social media and scream until nobody can watch it.
Portnoy could come up with a cure for cancer and there will be plenty of people to bash him because his tweet didn't acknowledge is former assistant.

As most of you know, I did a lot of work for DT and now MP. I don't really care one way or the other what he posts on social media. I'm all for constructive commentary and discussion. But he is who he is. All this stuff is not new, and whether he has put DT in the past or not shouldn't matter, it's his business. Every disagreeable tweet, the reaction is like you(all) have never seen it before, as a matter a fact I think people follow his feeds just to bash him. Is it that much fun to be so negative? Just change the channel.

Words to live by.

That's all well and good.  But people here are not unfairly "bashing" him.  If something he posts or says makes him come across as a prick, that's on him, and it is fair game for discussion.  If something he posts or says is positive, that is likewise fair game for discussion about how great it is.  Nobody here is unfairly piling on for the sake of piling on--they are commenting on what he himself has said and done.  If his posts and public comments themselves weren't so frequently negative, you wouldn't see the negative reactions to them here.

And it's great that some know "the full story."  But, honestly, if you aren't willing to back up what you say with specifics, you don't really have a right to tell other people they don't know what they're talking about.  If you can't share what you know, or just don't think it is appropriate, or just don't want to, that's fine.  But, again, if you can't or won't provide facts, don't tell other people what to think.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bill1971

« Reply #2028 on: July 27, 2017, 08:55:58 AM »

bill1971 retweeted

That's all well and good.  But people here are not unfairly "bashing" him.  If something he posts or says makes him come across as a prick, that's on him, and it is fair game for discussion.  If something he posts or says is positive, that is likewise fair game for discussion about how great it is.  Nobody here is unfairly piling on for the sake of piling on--they are commenting on what he himself has said and done.  If his posts and public comments themselves weren't so frequently negative, you wouldn't see the negative reactions to them here.

And it's great that some know "the full story."  But, honestly, if you aren't willing to back up what you say with specifics, you don't really have a right to tell other people they don't know what they're talking about.  If you can't share what you know, or just don't think it is appropriate, or just don't want to, that's fine.  But, again, if you can't or won't provide facts, don't tell other people what to think.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2029 on: July 27, 2017, 09:05:52 AM »
One thing I learned the hard way in my time close to a particular band, and running a forum, is if you can't or won't post the full story on something, it's best not to say anything at all. Even if you mean well, by trying to stir excitement for something, unless you're willing to explain it all, it's better to not post a word.

Obviously, there's a lot of drama between the MP and DT. I think most people are smart enough to know there is fault on both sides, no matter who says what.

As for MP's tweets and social media postings, I feel after all this time, he should have a bit more restraint than he does. I think it would serve him better to be a bit more guarded. But he's a grown man, who's had a very successful career. I'm not one to tell him what to do. I can only say what I feel *I* would do in his position.

In regard to responding here -- I've been a member here forever. MP isn't bashed. MP is being criticized for being very loose with his words. And most of that criticism is meant (in my opinion) as constructive, with people wanting MP to do well, and carry himself better - -because we care about him being successful and appreciate the music he's helped create.

If MP has an issue with DTF, perhaps he needs to read the above paragraph I've just written.