Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 210744 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1190 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:07 PM »
Nice!  I wasn't really counting on that one.  Good to see it in the set.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1191 on: June 28, 2017, 03:35:18 PM »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1192 on: June 28, 2017, 03:40:49 PM »
Oh man, I can't freaking wait to see this band tear up Home :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1193 on: June 28, 2017, 03:47:47 PM »
Considering how MP always says he does things for the fans, is it not ok then for DT to do things for the fans?  I've been on this forum long enough to know the fans have been craving to see ACOS live again.  I've never seen it of the 12+ times I've seen DT.  I understand that he may feel upset due to his personal connection to the song (and I think that's fine), but it's a fan favorite.  You can't expect DT to not give the fans what they want.

I would like to put a different perspective to this. I knew what his proposed setlist for this was going to be 5 years ago, as MP himself told me(there was another person on this forum present that may or may not back me up). He wanted to wait for the right time to do it figuring his 50th birthday would be right.
I can also say that things in the DT camp were not peaceful, they just chose not to comment on anything MP. Look at the timing of the I&W revisited tour, dates were announced pretty quickly and they hit the road before MP, and play ACOS as a FU to steal his thunder, as they knew how much he wanted to play it.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1194 on: June 28, 2017, 03:48:05 PM »
The dance of eternity!!!!

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1195 on: June 28, 2017, 03:53:57 PM »
Finally free!!!

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #1196 on: June 28, 2017, 03:56:45 PM »
Look at the timing of the I&W revisited tour, dates were announced pretty quickly and they hit the road before MP, and play ACOS as a FU to steal his thunder, as they knew how much he wanted to play it.

I obviously don't know the guys involved. However, you really think Dream Theater sat around and said "let's fuck with Portnoy by doing the song he most wants to do so he doesn't play it?" That's a bit childish, no?

I think it's more likely Dream Theater is doing ACOS because it was meant for the era of I&W and is a fan favorite that perfectly closes the show. And it's probably pretty likely Dream Theater won't do it again, given its length, and connection to MP.

Again, you know the people involved better than me, Bob. But that seems pretty...shitty. And unless you know that for fact (that DT did that), I'm not sure how much that's really likely.

>>>>>COOL on Dance of Eternity. Looks like MP is making sure to go heavy on SFAM. And then Finally Free (good call to whoever called that).
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1197 on: June 28, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
Look at the timing of the I&W revisited tour, dates were announced pretty quickly and they hit the road before MP, and play ACOS as a FU to steal his thunder, as they knew how much he wanted to play it.
Sorry, I can't see that being their line of thinking. Like Samsara said, you know them better than me, but I just can't see it
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1198 on: June 28, 2017, 03:59:10 PM »
Considering how MP always says he does things for the fans, is it not ok then for DT to do things for the fans?  I've been on this forum long enough to know the fans have been craving to see ACOS live again.  I've never seen it of the 12+ times I've seen DT.  I understand that he may feel upset due to his personal connection to the song (and I think that's fine), but it's a fan favorite.  You can't expect DT to not give the fans what they want.

I would like to put a different perspective to this. I knew what his proposed setlist for this was going to be 5 years ago, as MP himself told me(there was another person on this forum present that may or may not back me up). He wanted to wait for the right time to do it figuring his 50th birthday would be right.
I can also say that things in the DT camp were not peaceful, they just chose not to comment on anything MP. Look at the timing of the I&W revisited tour, dates were announced pretty quickly and they hit the road before MP, and play ACOS as a FU to steal his thunder, as they knew how much he wanted to play it.

He could still play it, DT played The Shattered Fortress before he did, but he is still playing it.  Was that also a FU to MP?  Also, the I&W tours timing seems more likely to be linked to a poor TA tour and the anniversary of the album than a purposeful FU to MP.  I don't doubt what you are saying though about DT not being at peace, they just take the higher road of not commenting.  Also, it seems MP is then fibbing a bit about why he is upset DT is playing it (because they are playing it before him, not they are playing a song that is emotional and personal to MP).

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1199 on: June 28, 2017, 04:09:23 PM »
The Best of Times would have felt more like an attack on Portnoy. Playing one of the most cherished and loved DT epics so many years after it was last played (Hell, I follow Dream Theater since 1999 and I've seen the song live only ONCE, in 2000. That was 17 years ago. There are people who were born the day I heard A Change of Seasons live that now are having sex) and as encore of a show where they play the album the song was supposed to be on, it seems just a long overdue return to the setlist.

Also, since DT are supposed to play ACOS to spite Mike, is the whole Images and Words celebration just an excuse? "We have to play ACOS, that'll show Mike... but how? hey, how about this: let's play I&W in full, so everybody will see the song as tied to that era!"..... to put it mildly, it seems VERY unlikely to me.

About the show: how did the transition from This Dying Soul into Root go? did they just stop to play Root's intro over the PA like it happened on the cruise or they connected the two songs?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1200 on: June 28, 2017, 04:30:30 PM »
Holy fucking shit balls I need to collect my thoughts.

Ok firstly amazing set. The opening video started with regression with a montage of DT songs around it. The videos at the back perfect, brought back the metropolis 2000 videos for the SFAM songs. Eric Guillete was a beast especially but everyone was amazing Ross Jennings vocals really worked sounded better than cruise to the edge. The transitions on the suite  were similar to what was played then.

The dance of fucking eternity was nuts seeing Mike and the guys play it faultlessly was insane

full setlist

Overture 1928
strange deja vu
The mirror
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentence
The shattered fortress

Home
The dance of eternity
Finally free (including the metropolis 2000 outro and a fortune in lies tease)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 04:37:31 PM by FOXAN03 »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1201 on: June 28, 2017, 04:36:27 PM »
The Metropolis 2000 outro for me should have been the "canon" way to end the song live. I was a bit bummed when DT themselves didn't do it last time around.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1202 on: June 28, 2017, 04:47:38 PM »
Would of loved to hear Burning my Soul or Just Let Me Breathe (both of them are MP songs), some nod to FII.

Offline tuto

« Reply #1203 on: June 28, 2017, 04:50:59 PM »
Would of loved to hear Burning my Soul or Just Let Me Breathe (both of them are MP songs), some nod to FII.

I figured he would play New Millennium since he loves the song. Guess not. Bummer

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1204 on: June 28, 2017, 04:59:01 PM »
Good set overall, makes me even more bummed he's not hitting the west coast with this show.  :-\

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #1205 on: June 28, 2017, 04:59:28 PM »
Any chance this will be recorded? I won't be able to see this but I absolutely love this setlist and like the musicians involved.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1206 on: June 28, 2017, 05:06:47 PM »
I would guess one or all these shows get recorded, but I do wonder about him being able to actually release and profit off them playing it.  I mean, it can be done, but not sure what kind of effort it takes and if MP would feel it's worth it to deal with it but maybe it's not that bad since he is able to use the DT imagery to promote this.  I'd buy it.  That's a solid setlist, not terribly far off from DT's setlist from the DT12 tour actually and I loved that so I expect this to be a lot of fun when it comes to NYC (tickets are still available if anyone is on the fence).

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1207 on: June 28, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
I've got a few clips recorded I'll post them when I wake up I'm drained as fuck now. Doubt they'll be a pro shot release MP has said it'll be messy with legal red tape

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1208 on: June 28, 2017, 05:09:01 PM »
And yes Home was really heavy was amazing!!

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1209 on: June 28, 2017, 05:10:17 PM »
Holy fucking shit balls I need to collect my thoughts.

Ok firstly amazing set. The opening video started with regression with a montage of DT songs around it. The videos at the back perfect, brought back the metropolis 2000 videos for the SFAM songs. Eric Guillete was a beast especially but everyone was amazing Ross Jennings vocals really worked sounded better than cruise to the edge. The transitions on the suite  were similar to what was played then.

The dance of fucking eternity was nuts seeing Mike and the guys play it faultlessly was insane

full setlist

Overture 1928
strange deja vu
The mirror (with Lie outro and extended keytar solo)
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentence
The shattered fortress

Home
The dance of eternity
Finally free (including the metropolis 2000 outro and a fortune in lies tease)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1210 on: June 28, 2017, 05:23:35 PM »
Sucks for a guy like me that truly hasn't the time or money to go to one of these shows. Would be cool to see on DVD.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1211 on: June 28, 2017, 07:03:52 PM »

I figured he would play New Millennium since he loves the song. Guess not. Bummer

Portnoy likely reads stuff on the internet enough to have a pulse on what songs are DT fan favorites and which ones are not.  As dear as the five songs are to him, I am sure he knows that the 12-suite songs are not fan favorites, except maybe The Glass Prison, and playing more non-fan favorites like Burning My Soul, New Millennium and Just Let Me Breathe would have made the set list look kind of weak overall.  Every DT song he played today (not counting the 12-suite songs) is a major fan favorite, so I would say he did a very good job with the song selections, when looking at it that way.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1212 on: June 28, 2017, 08:13:58 PM »
Got blocked by MP on Twitter today.
I don't follow him, but Haken retweeted his post about the Shattered Fortress tour which said "You can take MP out of DT, but you can't take DT out of MP"

I commented, "No one took you out of the band, you left."

Might have been an unnecessary comment, but it's a fact nonetheless. I don't see any reason to block someone over it.

:facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

Man, :facepalm: is really getting a workout these days.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 12:15:34 AM by PetFish »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1213 on: June 28, 2017, 08:19:35 PM »
Pet Dick! :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1214 on: June 28, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
I wonder who has more people blocked. The president or MP  :lol
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1215 on: June 28, 2017, 10:26:04 PM »
Since The Mirror is an important song to both the 12SS and the Haken/MP connection, I think it's a likely choice... but then it'd make sense if they play it before the Suite right?..

full setlist

Overture 1928
strange deja vu
The mirror
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentence
The shattered fortress

::)
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1216 on: June 28, 2017, 11:18:28 PM »
Since The Mirror is an important song to both the 12SS and the Haken/MP connection, I think it's a likely choice... but then it'd make sense if they play it before the Suite right?..

full setlist

Overture 1928
strange deja vu
The mirror
The glass prison
This dying soul
The root of all evil
Repentence
The shattered fortress

::)

:lol Well played, man!

I was sure they would play Finaly Free as the closer, so... ::)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1217 on: June 28, 2017, 11:46:03 PM »
Great set.  :metal

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1218 on: June 29, 2017, 12:14:54 AM »
Pet Dick! :lol

Rush me to the burn unit!

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1219 on: June 29, 2017, 01:04:54 AM »
Thanks FOXAN03 for taking some time during the gig to post the setlist. What about the merchandising? Mike said there would be some special items.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1220 on: June 29, 2017, 03:02:58 AM »
Thanks FOXAN03 for taking some time during the gig to post the setlist. What about the merchandising? Mike said there would be some special items.

No problem at all! Unfortunately a couple of weeks ago i had to have reconstructive surgery on my Knee due to a work related accident (I'm a stunt man..... No seriously) So I was on Crutches. I have to hand it to the Guys at Koko giving me access to the disabled seating area, the view was amazing and all the room i could need as well as my own personal toilet (its the small things in life) I once ventured downstairs to get a drink had a guy help me bring it back upstairs and I saw the Merch Stand, couldn't take a pic since I need my arms to really walk but it was full of old merch that was left over from throughout the MP DT areaas well as a few new stuff was really cool!

I had a guy in a wheelchair right next to me pretty much filming none stop and I've just found it on Youtube, I think more will go up over time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_wfbtNfQkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfBw1QtbZXQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiPkIdOXBF4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdNgGxryjSk

One thing you'll see from these, this was one of the most Vocal crowds i've ever seen at a 'DT' concert the atmosphere was incredible.The Only downer for the entire evening was Eric suddenly getting technical problems for the intro to Shattered Fortress but that fixed quickly
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 03:20:43 AM by FOXAN03 »

Offline the keyboard wizard

« Reply #1221 on: June 29, 2017, 03:18:40 AM »
it was full of old merch that was left over from throughout the MP DT areaas well as a few new stuff was really cool!
Could you be more specific? I assume the new stuff is t-shirts with the posters and what about the old stuff if you can remember.
Admin and manager of the French Chapter of Dream Theater World: Your Majesty (one of the first DT fan clubs)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1222 on: June 29, 2017, 03:21:23 AM »
Watching the videos, he said a very smart thing: "It's the first show of the tour, so you don't know the setlist, you're gonna get a spoiler free show!"

So, so, so true. Culturally, movie spoilers are a thing and people are careful about them, but nobody seems  to care about the many people who want to watch a show without already knowing everything about it. Every time a major band I follow starts a tour, I have to forget about their Facebook pages and I even stop listening to random songs of YouTube, otherwise the algorithm will suggest to me recent live clips of them.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1223 on: June 29, 2017, 03:26:52 AM »
Merch from various tours, T-Shirts, mugs etc the New Merch was just MP embled T-shirts such as the new Metal allegiance T he's now selling

Offline gm5k

« Reply #1224 on: June 29, 2017, 03:52:26 AM »
It's supposed to be songs Portnoy wrote lyrically right?   I'd be curious to know how much he had to do with the writing of Overture 1928. 

Could've gone lots of ways with lyrical melodies he came up with turning into motifs, etc...just curious  ;D

I'll also say those singers are definitely on key and doing a nice job, but the vibe is severely lacking.  Really is impossible to replace JLB when it comes to his voice in DT songs (I say this while being a huge Haken fan and a fan of the singer as well)

Overall seems like a really fun show.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 04:02:15 AM by gm5k »