Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212458 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1050 on: June 26, 2017, 08:37:37 AM »
Pretty bummed this isn't coming to my neck of the woods. I'm not even a fan of most of the songs in his suite, but it seems like such a cool experience. I'd love to be there.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #1051 on: June 26, 2017, 08:44:25 AM »
...even down to my stage clothes from previous DT tours that I will pulling out of retirement from my closet! (I hope they still fit!! Hahaha)

Basketball jerseys?   :facepalm:

All kidding aside, it seems like he really has put a lot of effort into these shows, and fans will definitely eat this up.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1052 on: June 26, 2017, 08:50:53 AM »
You can take MP out of DT, but you can't take DT out of MP... 🤘🏻

Blabbermouth explodes...

Yep!

But the gig sounds like it's too going to be really cool! Old DT experience. Even having knee surgery ain't gonna stop me will be down there with my crutches lol

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1053 on: June 26, 2017, 09:07:14 AM »
For all of you that have been posting online for the past 6 years wanting to see me to "go back to DT", unless those guys have a change of heart, it seems this is the closest you are going to get!!
There are no guarantees for tomorrow...there's only TODAY!

:lol  He quit the band and still finds unique ways to blame the other guys.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1054 on: June 26, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »
Well, he quit, he'd be interested in coming back, the guys in the band have to want him back first. I don't see anything wrong with that statement.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1055 on: June 26, 2017, 09:13:38 AM »
I'm happy for him that he's finally able to put DT behind him. Doing these shows is a way for him personally to leave it in the past.

Now interviewers better not ask him anymore DT questions after these shows.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1056 on: June 26, 2017, 09:14:44 AM »
For all of you that have been posting online for the past 6 years wanting to see me to "go back to DT", unless those guys have a change of heart, it seems this is the closest you are going to get!!

Oh man, things like these remind me why I completely stopped following MP on social media. Looks like he forgot HE was the one who quit in the first place. It's not like he got kicked out or anything like that.
And it's been almost 7 years since he left, but he's still throwing statements like these, indirectly feeding the post-MP DT haters that will go "DT sucks now, you were the soul... they show no respect..." :facepalm:

I still think the guy is a very good drummer/musician and hope the tour goes well. Haken is one of my favorite bands right now and really like the band MP got for these shows.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1057 on: June 26, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »
Don't really see the issue with MP's statement. He's been open about having reached out to the guys since he quit, but they're not interested.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1058 on: June 26, 2017, 09:40:15 AM »
Well, he quit, he'd be interested in coming back, the guys in the band have to want him back first. I don't see anything wrong with that statement.

Nothing wrong with it, its just the usual. Painting himself as a victim just looking out for the fans. Not mentioning the fact that he'd still be in the band if he didn't walk away from it.

Oh man, things like these remind me why I completely stopped following MP on social media. Looks like he forgot HE was the one who quit in the first place. It's not like he got kicked out or anything like that.
And it's been almost 7 years since he left, but he's still throwing statements like these, indirectly feeding the post-MP DT haters that will go "DT sucks now, you were the soul... they show no respect..." :facepalm:

I still think the guy is a very good drummer/musician and hope the tour goes well. Haken is one of my favorite bands right now and really like the band MP got for these shows.

Yup, I agree. Mission accomplished though, great hype for the project and the shows. It'll sell some tickets. MP still knows how to promo a show, that's for sure.

On a positive note, the other part of his post was great, about all the little details from house music to what he will wear. That's the kind of attention to detail that has always amazed me about Mike. It's cool for the fans, he gets that, and delivers.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: June 26, 2017, 09:49:26 AM »
Don't really see the issue with MP's statement. He's been open about having reached out to the guys since he quit, but they're not interested.

Yea, I feel like he's made this known before so saying it again doesn't really make me feel like there is anything wrong with it especially when he is now touring playing DT songs.  I got to imagine that jolts some DT feels for him.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1060 on: June 26, 2017, 09:52:21 AM »

He's basically blaming the DT guys for him not being in the band anymore.

1. He quit by his own will.
2. When he tried to return, they had already gone through the audition process and had already welcomed MM as a new member. Mangini had to quit his full time job at Berklee to commit 100% to the band.

Imagine them going through all of that (which I bet wasn't cheap, btw), only to be reached again by MP saying he wants to return. Really? Mike needs to learn some actions have consecuences and you can't really undo things only because you changed your mind.

What were the guys supposed to tell Mangini? "Oh, yeah, we totally told you to leave your job and commit 100% to this, but now Portnoy has returned, so you can go back to your old life. No worries, bro."  :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

On a positive note, the other part of his post was great, about all the little details from house music to what he will wear. That's the kind of attention to detail that has always amazed me about Mike. It's cool for the fans, he gets that, and delivers.

Indeed. Mike always thinks of that kind of details for evey band he's with. I'm sure these shows will be great from that perspective.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1061 on: June 26, 2017, 10:05:48 AM »

Completely agree don't see anything wrong with the statement

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1062 on: June 26, 2017, 10:09:56 AM »

I don't agree with this point of view.   There are a thousand threads here about how "the VH brothers ought to take back Mike!" and "Paul and Gene are suck ASSHOLES!  Why do they keep rejecting Ace and Peter??"

I don't think it matters one bit that "he quit!"   We weren't there.  We don't at all know that it is as cut and dry, black and white, step y step as this sounds.   Nothing in life is.   We have no way of knowing whether the MM thing wasn't just as big a "FUCK YOU" to Mike as Tommy Thayer and Wolfgang Van Halen are. 

Not sure why Mike is always made out to be the bad guy in these scenarios. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #1063 on: June 26, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »
Ya know, as a fan, I just don't care about the whole blame game and negative stuff any longer. I am sure things were said by MP he regrets, and I am sure the band has said some things (in private, I would guess) they regret. The bottom line is MP is excited about this, and is marketing it as his final time doing (I am assuming here, because I am not quite sure what his new band has in mind) a FULL SET of Dream Theater material (again, assuming his new band might do a couple of DT covers).

The effort he is putting forth is what I remember Mike Portnoy being like. And truth be told, I wish I was able to attend. If I was still living in New York, I'd be there. Period.

What happened between MP and DT sucks. It's clear MP would like to return, but DT don't want him back in the fold. Whatever their reasons are, there's nothing we can do about it. But on a positive note, if MP is going to return playing prog metal again, and DT moves forward, we'll have two hopefully great bands performing Dream Theater material (again, assuming MP's new group does a couple of covers).

But this Shattered Fortress thing has really turned into something pretty cool, and at least for me, I really appreciate the work MP is putting in to make it happen (here's hoping you film and realize one of these, MP!)
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1064 on: June 26, 2017, 10:45:17 AM »

I don't agree with this point of view.   There are a thousand threads here about how "the VH brothers ought to take back Mike!" and "Paul and Gene are suck ASSHOLES!  Why do they keep rejecting Ace and Peter??"

I don't think it matters one bit that "he quit!"   We weren't there.  We don't at all know that it is as cut and dry, black and white, step y step as this sounds.   Nothing in life is.   We have no way of knowing whether the MM thing wasn't just as big a "FUCK YOU" to Mike as Tommy Thayer and Wolfgang Van Halen are. 

Not sure why Mike is always made out to be the bad guy in these scenarios.

Not trying to be disrespectful here, and, if my post offends you, I'm sorry, but I have to say that (the bolded part) is one of the most absurd things I've ever read on the matter.

I don't really hate MP, and I admire him as a musician, but we can't negate all the crap he's said about/towards DT since the split. If he wanted to leave the band and focus on other things (as he did) it's fine, there's nothing wrong with that. however, he's always taken these things too far and has allowed a lot of DT insulting and bashing on his pages. He even liked lots of these posts on FB. If he threatens to block people for saying Bumblefoot is involved in his band (I was one of them), he could politely say "thank you for your comments, but please don't insult these guys on my page", and not like comments that say "DT sucks now, Mangini is a f***ing robot who can't play", etc etc.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1065 on: June 26, 2017, 11:34:35 AM »
I actually agree with what the two of you are saying.. One is talking about those moments in 2010/2011, which we can't know for sure what really happened or how, and the other is talking about the general MP's attitude since then..

I'd add to the MP's attitude since then, the MP's attitude before his departure.. From his point of view, he was "bored", which is understandable; from the guys' point of view, they never liked his general behaviour and the way he almost manipulated them to make things only he wanted to do.. And even when we all know this is highly probable, the latter point of view is just an assumption, only based in a few says of JR in some interviews and in our perception of what MP did in the band; but MP's boredom he said it himself, and that's why he's the first to blame.. You can get bored of something, even if is a band that makes so interesting and umpredictable music, but don't act like the victim or get angry because of that; take charge of your feelings, know that these carry decisions, and -as said before- that these carry consequences, and simply accept it..
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:42:54 AM by ToT-147 »
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1066 on: June 26, 2017, 11:49:02 AM »
013 is sold out!? Glad I have my ticket.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1067 on: June 26, 2017, 12:18:06 PM »
The way he worded it seemed to imply this is the last and final time you'll hear DT songs being played by him. As a sort of thanks to those who enjoyed his role in DT. Those fans that constantly bombard YouTube vids.

That is for the time being...I'm sure he'll pull one out later on down the way. But now he'll have his perception set on his other projects. Of which, his All Star one is the one I'm interested in hearing.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1068 on: June 26, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
To add more fuel to the fire. Someone asked him to just make up with the guys at DT already MP replied:

"I've made up with 3 of the guys...its their choice to continue on as they are.
They've seemed to shut the door on the past (or at least including me) and I am FINE WITH IT...

As of this moment, THIS is as close as you're going to get to the MP/DT experience and presentation in 2017

(Look at it like when both Roger Waters and Pink Floyd are touring PF music...)

It is what it is...
C'mon out and CARPE DIEM with us if you miss those days"

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1069 on: June 26, 2017, 02:29:23 PM »
Oh gosh...

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1070 on: June 26, 2017, 02:31:44 PM »
MP really does go out of his way to reply to loads of people in the comments section but that one should have been left alone

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: June 26, 2017, 02:36:12 PM »
MP really does go out of his way to reply to loads of people in the comments section but that one should have been left alone

I get he is trying to connect with fans, but honestly, he should not comment on other's comments in social media if it's not going to be something 100% positive.  That's not a MP specific thing, just my opinion on anyone who is in the spotlight.  Stay positive publicly.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1072 on: June 26, 2017, 02:40:46 PM »
True, it is very revealing though means only one of the guys still has a problem  with him and my money is on LaBrie, but in reality who the fuck cares.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1073 on: June 26, 2017, 02:45:03 PM »
There's a lot of room for speculation in that message too.  To me, it seems like he thinks JLB is the reason he is not back with DT.  Also, it seems like in reality he is NOT fine with it.  Just my interpretation. 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1074 on: June 26, 2017, 02:50:59 PM »
Three of the guys? does he incude Mangini, as in "I don't consider him an usurper" kind of thing, or did he patch things up with at least one out of James and John Myung?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1075 on: June 26, 2017, 02:58:34 PM »
I would think he doesn't include mangini in that and I know he's been still friends with JR and JP so just JM and JLB left and would think JLB is more probable

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1076 on: June 26, 2017, 03:00:32 PM »
Yeah, probably that's him... uh well, not really for me as a fan, but for themselves, I'd love for those two to eventually patch things up.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1077 on: June 26, 2017, 03:04:28 PM »
Agreed... why can't we all get along  :metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #1078 on: June 26, 2017, 03:09:40 PM »
Three of the guys? does he incude Mangini, as in "I don't consider him an usurper" kind of thing, or did he patch things up with at least one out of James and John Myung?

I don't think he even considers Mangini a DT member...

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: June 26, 2017, 03:15:36 PM »
Agreed... why can't we all get along  :metal

Life is too short to not get over their differences IMO

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1080 on: June 26, 2017, 03:21:54 PM »
There's a lot of room for speculation in that message too.  To me, it seems like he thinks JLB is the reason he is not back with DT.
That is your interpretation, and I don't believe it's true. MP does not think JL is the reason why he's not back in the band - pretty sure he knows that the rest of the guys are happy with the way things are right now and don't have any intentions of kicking MM out to make room for MP. Why is that so hard to believe?

I'd bet on him patching things up with JM over JL since they live within walking distance of each other, and Lisa and Marlene (their respective wives) were bandmates and close friends too. Pretty sure it will take a lot more before MP and JL will finally bury the hatchet.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1081 on: June 26, 2017, 03:38:12 PM »
There's a lot of room for speculation in that message too.  To me, it seems like he thinks JLB is the reason he is not back with DT.
That is your interpretation, and I don't believe it's true. MP does not think JL is the reason why he's not back in the band - pretty sure he knows that the rest of the guys are happy with the way things are right now and don't have any intentions of kicking MM out to make room for MP. Why is that so hard to believe?

I don't personally believe that.  From my understanding, it is because DT didn't want to reject MM after he already made arrangements to join the band.  But since you asked:

"I've made up with 3 of the guys...its their choice to continue on as they are."

So he is implying he is only on bad terms with one person in the band, and in the continuation of his sentence then says they choose to continue as they are.  Since it's the same sentance (or written thought) it seems to me that MP sees a relationship between the one person he has not made up with and the band continuing as they are.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1082 on: June 26, 2017, 03:51:11 PM »
I don't personally believe that.  From my understanding, it is because DT didn't want to reject MM after he already made arrangements to join the band.  But since you asked:

"I've made up with 3 of the guys...its their choice to continue on as they are."

Cram, seems the band very happily and forcefully called MP's bluff.

My interpretation is that he's cool with Jordan, JM, and Mangini.

Labrie does not call the shots.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1083 on: June 26, 2017, 04:04:06 PM »
I've read somewhere that Mike has said he's on good terms with JP and JR has posted stuff before of him meeting up with MP

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #1084 on: June 26, 2017, 04:05:31 PM »
So he is implying he is only on bad terms with one person in the band, and in the continuation of his sentence then says they choose to continue as they are.  Since it's the same sentance (or written thought) it seems to me that MP sees a relationship between the one person he has not made up with and the band continuing as they are.
How does his implying that he hasn't patched up things with one of the guys equate to this unnamed person being the only thing holding the band back from MP rejoining the band? I'm sorry, but that's just silly to read that interpretation into what is a pretty cut and dry statement. If that were the case, there would be no issue and MP would already be back in the band. As Tim said, JL does not call the shots in the band - JP does.

My interpretation is that he's cool with Jordan, JM, and Mangini.
I do not know who the third person is that he's cool with, but besides JR, I can confirm that he's cool with JP.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.