Poll

How will it Sound?

It will sound great, making you forget that it's not the DT squad playing it.
27 (20.1%)
It'll sound alright, but there will be 'something' off a tad
91 (67.9%)
It's gonna be a trainwreck
16 (11.9%)

Total Members Voted: 134

Author Topic: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour  (Read 212333 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: MP's Shattered Fortress Tour
« Reply #1015 on: June 22, 2017, 12:52:16 PM »
Please no Haken songs.  Not that I dislike Haken, but this is not really about them.  Also, for me, both the Haken and MP shows are 3 weeks apart in NYC so as a fan, I'd rather those two shows to not be intertwined in a way.

I'm not going all the way to NYC on a Sunday night to see Haken songs.  I want all Mike, all the time.   

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1016 on: June 22, 2017, 01:11:25 PM »
I wouldn't travel 5 minutes any night to see Haken songs.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1017 on: June 22, 2017, 02:23:59 PM »
I agree that in the US and Europe it would be silly to play Haken. However in South America elsewhere Haken has not been I think it would be a fitting thank you to the members of the band to throw out Cockroach King during the set and promote Haken.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1018 on: June 22, 2017, 02:37:40 PM »
I agree that in the US and Europe it would be silly to play Haken. However in South America elsewhere Haken has not been I think it would be a fitting thank you to the members of the band to throw out Cockroach King during the set and promote Haken.

I really hope MP sees this and agrees with you
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1019 on: June 22, 2017, 02:47:42 PM »
Logistically, it makes very little sense for them to play any Haken songs or cover songs.

They have limited time. It's not like they can play a 3.5-4 hour set.

As I pointed out, once you finish the suite, you don't have a ton of time. Do you honestly think MP will use 10 minutes or whatever of that hour he has to play Haken or cover songs?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #1020 on: June 22, 2017, 02:49:23 PM »

In fact, I would like that Haken could open the shows, without compromising the DT set. Unfortunately I guess this won't happen, because the show is already announced and there's no comments about an opening band.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1021 on: June 22, 2017, 02:49:45 PM »
Isn't Haken already getting promotion by just being apart of it?  I think MP's made plenty of public statements about how much he loves them as well.  Them performing a Haken song seems to just take away from the whole purpose of what this was meant to be to begin with.  Now, if MP were given a long slot to perform (I don't know how much time he gets on stage, Im guessing 2 hours since his son's band is opening) then I can see Haken songs or other songs being performed and it making sense. 

Honestly, I'd probably rather watch them play Haken's 1985 than a lot of the MP written DT songs listed in this thread, mostly because a lot of those songs aren't my favorite DT tunes, but that's not really what they are advertising this as.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1022 on: June 22, 2017, 04:31:59 PM »
Do you honestly think MP will use 10 minutes or whatever of that hour he has to play Haken or cover songs?

They're already playing cover songs :neverusethis:
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Adami

« Reply #1023 on: June 22, 2017, 06:24:36 PM »
Do you honestly think MP will use 10 minutes or whatever of that hour he has to play Haken or cover songs?

They're already playing cover songs :neverusethis:

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1024 on: June 22, 2017, 07:31:24 PM »
Love Haken and can't wait to see them in Denver for the first time in September.

Playing any Haken at these Shattered Fortress shows would make 0 sense and be a bad idea.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline nattmorker

« Reply #1025 on: June 22, 2017, 07:46:43 PM »
At least in Mexico Haken will open the show (along with Next to None), which is great since I've already missed Haken twice in Mexico.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1026 on: June 23, 2017, 03:35:37 AM »
You wont have any Haken songs, for some parts of the tour Haken are doing their own shows as well around the same time to promote themselves, such as in Australia. So you wont hear any Haken songs during SF shows

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1027 on: June 23, 2017, 06:35:21 AM »
Isn't Haken already getting promotion by just being apart of it?  I think MP's made plenty of public statements about how much he loves them as well.  Them performing a Haken song seems to just take away from the whole purpose of what this was meant to be to begin with.  Now, if MP were given a long slot to perform (I don't know how much time he gets on stage, Im guessing 2 hours since his son's band is opening) then I can see Haken songs or other songs being performed and it making sense. 

Honestly, I'd probably rather watch them play Haken's 1985 than a lot of the MP written DT songs listed in this thread, mostly because a lot of those songs aren't my favorite DT tunes, but that's not really what they are advertising this as.

Bingo. I totally agree.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1028 on: June 23, 2017, 09:23:45 AM »
Yeah, I love me some Haken, and in a different setting I think it'd be cool to hear what they sound like on some Haken songs with MP behind the kit (not that I have any issue with Ray's playing, I just really enjoy MP's drumming in general), but I'm going in September to see DT material. I don't think Mike would make the mistake of playing Haken tunes.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1029 on: June 23, 2017, 10:48:55 AM »

Like Nick said, it doesn't make much sense in the US or Europe where they are known and they have/will tour but in South America or Australia that might not be the case and it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they played 1 or 2 short Haken songs so that people get to know them.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1030 on: June 23, 2017, 11:50:40 AM »
Not sure this belongs here, but just saw this link of Next To None:

https://youtu.be/Sm40F4sbP4U

Bummer really, I was hoping over time they would move away from the MP/DT influence. But this song just screams These Walls in the chorus, and the beginning could come straight from SC I feel.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1031 on: June 23, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
Listening to the beginning now. While it does sound a bit SCish, I think that's cause DT tried, on SC, to capture to a really popular sound in modern prog metal, and these kids are just in that genre.

Kid has weird diction though.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1032 on: June 23, 2017, 12:02:40 PM »
I want to like them so bad, but... it's just not really "musical" enough for me.  Mike went from really good to great when he added his juju to some really well-crafted songs.   Max ain't there.

And I'm sorry, but the growls are just out of place here.   What, really, do these kids from Alleghany, PA have to "growl" about?    I say that facetiously, but it lacks a certain credibility for me as a result of that.   

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1033 on: June 23, 2017, 12:05:49 PM »
I actually think the growling or screaming is better than the clean vocals. That was my first listen to Next to None.  Solid musically, but I can't get behind the vocals overall.  Sounds like emocore and I've never been a fan of emo or emocore vocals.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1034 on: June 23, 2017, 12:22:06 PM »
I actually think the growling or screaming is better than the clean vocals. That was my first listen to Next to None.  Solid musically, but I can't get behind the vocals overall.  Sounds like emocore and I've never been a fan of emo or emocore vocals.

This is pretty much my thoughts as well. Max has a ton of promise, kids still really young and is clearly very talented.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1035 on: June 23, 2017, 01:02:54 PM »
I'm mostly concerned that Max is so roped into the machinery that he doesn't get the space to develop his own style. To my untrained ears I feel it sounds exactly like MP drumming.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1036 on: June 23, 2017, 01:12:47 PM »
I'm mostly concerned that Max is so roped into the machinery that he doesn't get the space to develop his own style. To my untrained ears I feel it sounds exactly like MP drumming.

Only sloppier MP drumming. I've only heard the Next to None album once and I get that he's young, but I noticed quite a few spots and fills that sounded really rough.

Definitely agree on the vocals. If they were purely screamed, I could probably listen to the album more than once. But I can't stand the teen vocals.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1037 on: June 23, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

I feel like this doesn't bother me that much personally.  He will undoubtedly be heavily influenced by his father so I can't find fault when he plays similar to him.  I get it's an art and should be expressed his own way, but I can see where his own way is going to be very similar to his fathers.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1038 on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:16 PM »
It'll be a matter of how he balances his fathers influence on him as a player and his own unique voice as a player as he moves forward and progresses. He's still young.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1039 on: June 23, 2017, 01:22:43 PM »
This clip has the intro of the song Kek, off the new album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFX6ILGjAQM
Very interesting instrumental IMO and Max is clearly playing much better than on first CD.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #1040 on: June 23, 2017, 01:24:17 PM »
By the way, I think he's already a more extreme metal style than Mike. And yes, he's still very young to have his very own style.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #1041 on: June 23, 2017, 01:27:55 PM »
By the way, I think he's already a more extreme metal style than Mike. And yes, he's still very young to have his very own style.

Well let me clarify, since it seems like he's trying to do this professionally, him being young can't be used as an excuse to not develop his own voice as an artist. I'm just saying it may take him more time to hopefully do that, that' s all.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #1042 on: June 23, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
I'm not going all the way to NYC on a Sunday night to see Haken songs.  I want all Mike, all the time.   

But it'd be him playing that/those Haken song/s anyways.. Maybe you wanted to say that you want all DT songs, which is, obviously, very different..

it doesn't make much sense in the US or Europe where they are known and they have/will tour but in South America or Australia that might not be the case and it wouldn't be that big of a deal if they played 1 or 2 short Haken songs so that people get to know them.

Yeah, I can agree with this; I was, in my mind mostly, talking about the show *I*'m gonna see.. But I wouldn't call "silly" or "a mistake" if he/they decide to include some Haken material.. I mean, it's 5/6 Haken members playing on stage after all right?.. Just 1 or 2 songs, not the long ones of course.. That'd be fine..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #1043 on: June 23, 2017, 02:12:29 PM »
This clip has the intro of the song Kek, off the new album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFX6ILGjAQM
Very interesting instrumental IMO and Max is clearly playing much better than on first CD.

The final riff was pretty damn gnarly, but I found the rest of the song to be a bit too much wankery.
I listened to "The Apple" and again, pretty good until the clean vocals kick in. Then it becomes unlistenable.

Max is playing much better though. The double bass is really nice in some places.

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1044 on: June 25, 2017, 03:52:44 AM »
I'll be there for the first night at Koko in London, Want me to message out the set as its played?

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1045 on: June 25, 2017, 04:41:17 AM »
You're obviously free to do so, but I'm seeing them two days after in Barcelona and I don't want to know. I'll just avoid this thread until after the festival :)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1046 on: June 26, 2017, 07:55:53 AM »
Yeah, most people on the forum would like to know the set.  Those that want to avoid spoilers know (or should know) to stay out of the thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline FOXAN03

« Reply #1047 on: June 26, 2017, 08:31:09 AM »
From MP's Facebook:

You can take MP out of DT, but you can't take DT out of MP... 🤘🏻

I've spent the last 6 & 1/2 years doing a million things that have NOTHING to do with DT...making all different kinds of music with so many great musicians...but intensionally NOT playing or revisiting DT material...

But now for the remainder of 2017 in celebration of my 50th Birthday and as MY GIFT BACK TO YOU, I AM FINALLY READY to pay tribute to my past and revisit this music!

These Shattered Fortress shows will be a fully-immersive MP/DT experience...The type of show, setlist & environment that I ALWAYS delivered to you great fans for all of those 25 years between 1985 to 2010

Everything from the house music when you enter the venue (cool rarities taken from my extensive DT archives) to the rare DT-era MP items I will have at the merchandise stand...even down to my stage clothes from previous DT tours that I will pulling out of retirement from my closet! (I hope they still fit!! Hahaha)

All leading up to the incredible show & setlist I have prepared for you...
Delivered by some of the best musicians in Prog today (the amazing HAKEN along with Prog's newest guitar hero: Eric Gillette)...all playing this music with loving passion and extreme precision.

For those of you that constantly post about missing me in DT, this is your chance to revisit those days with me…

Once the clock strikes 2018, I will be returning to all of the other bands and music in my life…(Flying Colors, Transatlantic, The Neal Morse Band, The Winery Dogs, Metal Allegiance and my brand new all-star band with Derek Sherinian)

For all of you that have been posting online for the past 6 years wanting to see me to "go back to DT", unless those guys have a change of heart, it seems this is the closest you are going to get!!
There are no guarantees for tomorrow...there's only TODAY!
So I am seizing the fuck out of the day... : )

This is the ONLY (and possibly last??) chance to share the DT experience with me and hear me play this music again...
THIS IS IT...CARPE DIEM!!

The biggest show of the tour at the 013 in Holland is ALREADY SOLD OUT! That means most a lot of others will as well...so get your tickets NOW to insure a spot in sharing these wonderful memories with me and celebrating my 50th Birthday with this music that was such a huge part of my life...

MP

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #1048 on: June 26, 2017, 08:33:39 AM »
For all of you that have been posting online for the past 6 years wanting to see me to "go back to DT", unless those guys have a change of heart, it seems this is the closest you are going to get!!
There are no guarantees for tomorrow...there's only TODAY!
So I am seizing the fuck out of the day... : )

Well, citing the beginning of his post, he took himself out of DT... other than that, you just have to appreciate his enthusiasm and attitude!  :tup
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1049 on: June 26, 2017, 08:35:19 AM »
You can take MP out of DT, but you can't take DT out of MP... 🤘🏻

Blabbermouth explodes...