Author Topic: 2017 music goal (Album 1: Kaipa - Kaipa)  (Read 1926 times)

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
2017 music goal (Album 1: Kaipa - Kaipa)
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:27:38 AM »
My goal is to listen to at least one album by an unfamiliar artist a week. I'll write some quick reviews on here. I'll also start from some of my roulette results from last year, at least artist wise.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 11:40:14 AM by splent »
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: 2017 music goal
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 09:29:42 AM »
Sweet Spence!  I will definitely follow.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 09:33:42 AM »
I like that goal.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2017, 10:29:02 AM »
final round results when

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2017, 10:38:52 AM »
That's right. I need to win your roulette.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 02:19:32 PM »

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 09:40:35 PM »
My music goal is different. I play 3 instruments, the last one being the bass which ai learned by watching Youtube stuff. Not so difficult since I have played the guitar since a long time. So it's a lot of fun and challenging (my last cover is Red barchetta and it was hard but so rewarding). Now for 2017, it's either I take bass lessons or I'm falling in love with the trompet since I have been listening to a lot of jazz rock the past few months. So much fun to play music.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2017, 12:27:47 PM »
My 2017 music goal is to finally get a band off the ground. I currently have a prog metal band practicing once a week and I'm gonna be starting a more straightforward hard rock group with my sister and brother in law soon. I'm planning on playing shows and having an EP recorded with at least one of these bands by the end of the year.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2017, 06:58:26 PM »

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2017, 07:03:11 PM »
To write at least half (if not my finish writing) this god damn new Fanticide album.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 09:40:18 PM »
My 2017 music goal is to finally get a band off the ground. I currently have a prog metal band practicing once a week and I'm gonna be starting a more straightforward hard rock group with my sister and brother in law soon. I'm planning on playing shows and having an EP recorded with at least one of these bands by the end of the year.

Great projects and a lot of work ahead of you but when music is a passion, go for it!
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 10:07:14 PM »
To write at least half (if not my finish writing) this god damn new Fanticide album.

This is an awesome goal.  I hope you find the time/energy/inspiration for it.  The Fall of Grace is a great album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2017, 11:21:17 PM »
I think mine might be to listen to less unfamiliar artists each day (low strike rate) and put more time into the classics I have and those I may have missed by well known artists.  Also to listen to more Winger and help cure wolfking of his CD buying addiction.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2017, 08:11:11 AM »

Great projects and a lot of work ahead of you but when music is a passion, go for it!

I appreciate the support. Once I have stuff recorded I'll probably post it in the musicians sub forum. I've been trying to get a band together for years and it's finally starting to come together. I'm very excited for what's to come and I'm optimistic that things will work out this time around.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2017, 09:17:38 PM »
My aux thing broke in my car (cord snapped in the input... Hope I can fix it). 

First new album will be a rap mixtape a former student of mine just released. Gotta support him!

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2017, 10:58:48 AM »

This is an awesome goal.  I hope you find the time/energy/inspiration for it.  The Fall of Grace is a great album.

I concur. The Fall of Grace is one of my favourite prog metal releases of the past couple years. The vocalists are used really well.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 06:26:16 AM »
 First write up will be coming today. I'm fell a couple weeks behind, but now that everything is working again I can do it. Listened to some kaipa yesterday and now I'm listening to animals as leaders new album today
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 06:37:16 AM by splent »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 07:28:05 AM »
Sounds like a good goal. Can't wait to read the write-ups.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 11:39:26 AM »
Kaipa - Kaipa (1975)

RJ sent me a song by them from 2012 that I LOVED, so I decided to check out their history and start from the beginning. The first thing I noticed is that it was Roine Stolt's first band! That was crazy, but not surprising. He was flipping SEVENTEEN when he joined. Mad Steve Hackett sounding guitars too.  I will be listening to more after this album. It wasn't absolutely amazing, but it was a solid first effort that showed a lot of potential, and also showed HEAVY influenes from Gabriel-era Genesis and ELP.

Musiken ar ljuset is the first track. It opens with an ELP style introduction, and then a Hackett style guitar solo. Then it goes into something that almost sounds Gentle Giant-esque. Then their singer comes in. A piercing powerful tenor voice, not unlike the singer from the Scorpions. The entire piece sounds like Swedish Genesis.

Saker har tva sidor starts with a piano solo and some vocals, but the middle section comes in with a frenzy and a rocking solo over some solid drumming and electric piano work. It ends as it begins.

Ankaret starts with a 70s ballad style melody, and then more Genesis influenced instrumental. This piece is over 8 minutes long and goes all over the place, but it's fun.

Skogspromenad is a standard medieval influenced prog instrumental.

Allting har en borjan is another instrumental but a has some solid guitar solos as well as some awesome synth-harpsichord sounding background and a crazy keyboard solo near the end.

Se var morgon gry is an 8 minute long ballad. It's not boring at all, there's a lot going on, but it does drag on after a bit.

Forlorad i Istanbul starts with a "Turkish" sounding theme played by jazz guitar. There's a great electric keyboard solo in the second half.

Oceaner foder liv is my favorite track. It starts off with an almost fusion sounding introduction building up into a frenzy later on that sounds almost Yes-like (like Yours is No Disgrace) with some slow organ over it. Then enters a Renaissance/Baroque sounding section with a harpsichord and synth, then when the singer comes in it's over an ostinato not unlike Watcher of the Skies. Then a slow section over ocean sounds like Yes. Then weird sped up Swedish talking. And then HOLY CRAP HAMMOND SOLO. This song has everything. It's fun, and definitely the standout track on the album for me.

Fran det ena till det andra is a nice quick little tune, but it's so short that nothing really stands out.

Karavan ends the album with a song to feature a lot of guitar.

There you go. I'm going to check out the 2nd album at some point for sure, but if this album is any indication I'll probably enjoy it just as much if not more.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2017 music goal (Album 1: Kaipa - Kaipa)
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2017, 01:50:08 PM »
Never heard of the band but I'll sample some tracks tonight at work.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2017, 03:24:48 PM »
Love the first Kaipa album. I tried out several of their recent albums and they were really bad. What happened?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2017, 06:26:17 AM »
Love the first Kaipa album. I tried out several of their recent albums and they were really bad. What happened?

I liked Vittjar  but that's been the only recent album I've heard. Roine Stolt isn't in the band anymore either,  probably since he had the flower Kings and so many other side projects that he was being asked to do.  However, I read that he and a couple of other original members from the band are forming a group to play songs off the early albums

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2017, 06:31:07 AM »
Try Keyholder and Angling Feeling in the 2000's

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2017, 06:50:13 PM »
Second album will be tomorrow. Don't know what I'll listen to yet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
More roulette stuff?