Author Topic: What are your New Year's Resolutions?  (Read 2110 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: What are your New Year's Resolutions?
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2017, 02:21:55 PM »
I tend to eat when i'm hungry and not just when i feel like it.

I've read that having something small every few hours speeds up your metabolism but I dunno how true that is...

Also that walking isn't even that good for exercise. And I hate. HATE. Running. I walk pretty fast though.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »
Smaller, more frequent meals are a better way to eay becuase you keep your body consistently fueled, rather than creating peaks and valleys with huge meals spaced further apart. Plus, by eating more often, it psychologically satisfies the urge to eat.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2017, 02:38:45 PM »
Yes :p when I lived in my last place - i'd just not eat until I was nearly passing out from dizziness and had to run into a shop and buy a snack.

I don't eat for pleasure.  I eat primarily to not feel hungry.

...Which is why i'm not 1,000 lbs in weight :P

But also find it hard to shift a bit of a paunch.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2017, 07:32:33 PM »
People who've quit smoking will roll their eyes at this, but I plan to stop smoking cigs with the exception of camping weekends.

Yup, I rolled my eyes. Why leave yourself a loophole, it'll only get bigger and bigger.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2017, 08:36:37 PM »
People who've quit smoking will roll their eyes at this, but I plan to stop smoking cigs with the exception of camping weekends.

Yup, I rolled my eyes. Why leave yourself a loophole, it'll only get bigger and bigger.

:itsatrap:  "IT'S A TRAP!!!"
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »

I'll not roll my eyes. It's a personal choice, and if you enjoy having a smoke as part of your camping experience then I'm all for it. As long as you can limit it to when you want to enjoy it, rather than it hooking you through the bag. I don't have that level of control over myself, so I have to completely let it go.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 05:39:11 AM »
January 4th & I've already missed a day. I'm not good at this.  :facepalm:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 06:13:50 AM »

I'll not roll my eyes. It's a personal choice, and if you enjoy having a smoke as part of your camping experience then I'm all for it. As long as you can limit it to when you want to enjoy it, rather than it hooking you through the bag. I don't have that level of control over myself, so I have to completely let it go.

As it is right now, I really don't smoke much (None in 4 days :neverusethis:). If I smoke during the week, 99% of the time it's a single cig per day while I'm stuck in traffic between the same four exits every morning. I smoke quite a bit more on the weekends though, typically because I'm out with others who smoke and there is whiskey and Corona involved. At no point am I ever frustratingly scrambling to find a smoke, bumming them, or finding myself buying a pack because of urges in the moment that are too intense.

As far as that loophole, I don't know. Simply put, I don't want to not smoke when I camp. It'd be like asking someone who's obsessed with their body and goes to the gym daily to not eat the cake when they go to a wedding. A little won't kill you, and who knows, a car might tomorrow, so give yourself a piece of cake now and then. When I'm out camping with bonfires, beers, fishing, and boating, I just really love smoking. I typically camp between three and six weekends per year. Assuming one pack per trip, I feel like the sum total of the negative effects caused by those few packs will not really impact my health.

Offline Hyperplex

• Evelator
  • EZBoard Elder
  • So often fragile power turns to scorn and ridicule
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »
I've been pretty good so far – my biggest choice to change was to prepare a lunch every day and not just rely on going out all the time. Not only a calorie-saver, but a money-saver, too. Good ol' portion control, healthier choices, etc. Actually felt really good, too. Today we have a guest coming in for an office lunch so I only brought snacks for the day (yogurt, nuts, etc) and I'll try to make a smart choice on the lunch entrée. It does make a difference; while it's obviously way too soon to be having an effect overall, I immediately notice an absence of bloat and disgustingness, so that's a plus.

I've made this change before; sadly, when my daghter was born I allowed myself to fall off the wagon COMPLETELY. Not even an excuse, just an explanation; I should have been able to stay on the regiment, but I didn't. So now, 2 years later, I'm finally really trying to get back to it.
"My melancholy wants to rest in the hiding places and abysses of perfection. This is why I need music." –Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »
When I'm out camping with bonfires, beers, fishing, and boating, I just really love smoking. I typically camp between three and six weekends per year.

Or, you could just turn into a 20 camps a day man..  :lol

I'm not a smoker, but a group of us went off last week for an overnight hike/camp. A couple of hours' walk with heavy packs up into the mountains and then set up the tents at a good spot beside a lake. Great fun, but man, I'm so unfit - was feeling it for days afterwards.

Better add "get fit" to my list of resolutions..  :\

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2017, 08:57:13 AM »
It's not really a New Year's Resolution but I'd like to work on my self-confidence. And also try not to waste my time, sometimes I just lie in my bed instead of doing whatever :lol . It's not that I'll study all the time but reading, watching movies or going for a walk is better used time than napping all the time.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...