Author Topic: JLB's vocals in DT moving forward  (Read 17052 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: JLB's vocals in DT moving forward
« Reply #70 on: February 02, 2017, 07:43:58 PM »
I was at the Rome gig too, and I agree, he seemed pretty into it - especially as the night went on.

I've also never had a problem with his stage presence, I think it's perfect as it is. His singing, though, hasn't been that good for the last couple years/tours (probably since the 2015 tour)  :sad: I really like him as part of the band, his vocals and overall contributions to DT, but seeing videos for the TA tour and now the last couple shows in Italy, he just can't reach lots of the notes and his phrasing is odd  :-\
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #71 on: February 02, 2017, 07:58:23 PM »
I was at the Rome gig too, and I agree, he seemed pretty into it - especially as the night went on.

I've also never had a problem with his stage presence, I think it's perfect as it is. His singing, though, hasn't been that good for the last couple years/tours (probably since the 2015 tour)  :sad: I really like him as part of the band, his vocals and overall contributions to DT, but seeing videos for the TA tour and now the last couple shows in Italy, he just can't reach lots of the notes and his phrasing is odd  :-\

He did pretty well on the ADToE and self-titled tours, and even sounded downright awesome at times. On The Astonishing tour, however, he definitely struggled a ton. We'll see how this tour pans out for him. Singing the Images and Words material was rough for him in a few spots, but overall, not too bad. Same goes for A Change of Seasons.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2017, 05:21:22 AM »

He did pretty well on the ADToE and self-titled tours, and even sounded downright awesome at times. On The Astonishing tour, however, he definitely struggled a ton. We'll see how this tour pans out for him. Singing the Images and Words material was rough for him in a few spots, but overall, not too bad. Same goes for A Change of Seasons.

Same case as in the TA tour, he seems to be struggling with certain sections from different songs. That middle section from TTT, for example, sounded awful, just like that section from Lord Nafaryus.

Again, not a Labrie hater here, but we can't deny he's been having a hard time in live performances for the last couple of years  :sad:
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2017, 09:19:13 PM »

Same case as in the TA tour, he seems to be struggling with certain sections from different songs. That middle section from TTT, for example, sounded awful, just like that section from Lord Nafaryus.

Again, not a Labrie hater here, but we can't deny he's been having a hard time in live performances for the last couple of years  :sad:

Check out the clips from the Zurich show - he sounded pretty damn awesome throughout.
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #74 on: February 05, 2017, 03:41:24 PM »
In certain parts he became more comfortable at the Zurich gig, but TTT definitely stayed out of reach.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »
I don't see him improving drastically, but maybe he'll find a comfort zone as the tour rolls on instead of trying to force notes he knows he can't hit with that same force.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #76 on: February 06, 2017, 02:21:14 AM »
I'm perfectly OK if "the unbroken spirit" section gets rid of again. It's is so hard to sing in that age. Even in his prime there is clips that he struggled a bit. Why forcing it to the stage?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #77 on: February 06, 2017, 01:17:17 PM »

Check out the clips from the Zurich show - he sounded pretty damn awesome throughout.

Are you legally deaf?

No, are you an asshole?

Yes. At least one of us admits what we are.

Okay, both of you guys obviously need a break from the forums if you cannot address issues in a more respectful manner--both toward each other and, Prog Snob specifically, toward the band.  Because this sort of thing has become too common, and I have gotten complaints about these posts and some others that I am going to look into, I feel I have no choice but to temporarily ban the two of you and warn you that further posts along these lines may result in being banned permanently from the community.

I feel the need to remind us all of the rules and to put them into perspective.  As relevant to this issue:
12. Insults or senseless bashing of the current or former band members of Dream Theater and/or their music will not be tolerated.  Honest, open critique is always allowed, provided it is constructive and does not cross the line and become bashing, belittling, etc.

I think most of us who have been here any length of time should be able to draw the line between fair critique and criticism that crosses the line.  As we so often say, it isn't necessarily what you say, but how you say it

I feel that it bears repeating that nobody on this site or even the band members themselves feel that they are perfect or that they are beyond any critique or criticism whatsoever.  But that said, critique should be tactful and should be fair, both in content and in tone.  Keep in mind that, even though the band members are public figures and have put themselves and their performances out there in the public domain, and even though this is a discussion forum where we are allowed to discuss all points of view, that doesn't mean anything and everything goes and that discussion can just be a "free-for-all."  And that doesn't mean that comments that, while they might technically appear to be in compliance with the rules, aren't still out of bounds because they go too far and unfairly critique people who are artists and actual human beings who perform for our enjoyment.  So please keep these things in mind when posting.  This forum mostly gets that.  But every now and then, we start to get too loose and toe the line too closely, and I and the moderators need to remind. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2017, 12:21:08 AM »
Thank you, Bosk. The constant criticism as of late towards the band or other forumers has become very heavy and painful. Honestly, I love this forum, but if this trend continues at such a rate, I think I'm gonna forget it for a while. I don't want it to turn into 5/8.

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Pettor

« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2017, 02:35:39 AM »
My feeling is that YouTube is the main concern for critique against LaBrie, and that could be a fair view since it better captures the actual sound at times. But these threads always comes up and I remember being so worried seeing them live at 2008 because  I thought LaBrie wouldn't be good enough. I saw YouTube videos and read comments that made my view very clear about what I should expect. I finally saw the concert and it was amazing. Couldn't find a single complain about the performance. Of course the live sound makes it a bit blurred out and maybe my brain even fills in some stuff, but that's fine. I was perfectly happy with the high notes.

This has been my experience every single time. I always get tricked to think LaBrie is worse and can't sing anymore every time a new tour is coming, but it always sounds really good live. Not perfect at all times, but really good.

The Asthonishing studio recording is the best vocal performance from LaBrie in years. I still love those high notes and live I had just minor issues with it (The Asthonishing tour is actually first time I heard some bad tones live).

So basically I would like them to continue with the vocal range similar to that of TA. LaBrie's emotional voice is wonderful and the high notes is still a highlight :)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2017, 02:43:19 AM by Pettor »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2017, 02:46:43 AM »
Well, for a YouTube video that proves how James can still be excellent, check Breaking All Illusions from Milan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZksIow4BJ0

From start to finish he's basically perfect. Power, emotion, clarity with the high notes, everything. I noticed it immediately at the gig and the video proves I was not just caught in the moment, but I was hearing good!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2017, 03:08:54 AM »
Well, for a YouTube video that proves how James can still be excellent, check Breaking All Illusions from Milan:

From start to finish he's basically perfect. Power, emotion, clarity with the high notes, everything. I noticed it immediately at the gig and the video proves I was not just caught in the moment, but I was hearing good!
Thanks for this, awesome video :metal

It's funny how Youtube comments never stop being negative. When James hit high notes, there's something wrong with the tone. When the band downtune to makes it easier for him to sound more clear, he isn't a good singer anymore and he should quit (because number of high notes equals how good the singer is). I won't say he is perfect. TTT sounds pretty bad to my ears but I don't expect him to kill it on 25th anniversary.
BTW downtuned ACOS sounds pretty dope.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Pettor

« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2017, 06:00:56 AM »
Yeah I checked out Surrounded as well and think it's sounds really good! Some awesome high notes in there  :metal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv43EJelC0I

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:09 AM »

Thanks for this, awesome video :metal

It's funny how Youtube comments never stop being negative. When James hit high notes, there's something wrong with the tone. When the band downtune to makes it easier for him to sound more clear, he isn't a good singer anymore and he should quit (because number of high notes equals how good the singer is). I won't say he is perfect. TTT sounds pretty bad to my ears but I don't expect him to kill it on 25th anniversary.
BTW downtuned ACOS sounds pretty dope.

Yup. People turning live singing into an olympic competition.

Online mikeyd23

« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2017, 07:13:23 AM »

James sounds great in this video!

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #85 on: February 11, 2017, 07:59:15 PM »
I really hope he takes care of himself on the upcoming tour and doesn't push too hard if the high stuff just isn't coming for him.  I know they aren't going to down tune, but I wouldn't have a problem with rearranging some of the highest vocal melodies to help him out.  Most likely, it'll be there for him some nights, and some nights it won't.  I wonder what folks would prefer - would you rather he went for the F#, for example, and risked that he doesn't pull it off in order to have the chance that he does?  Or would you rather him just forego it in favor of something that's guaranteed?  I'm not sure how I'd answer my own question.  Thinking logically, it would make more sense for him to arrange it so he doesn't have to reach that high and so that what he does sing will sound really good.  On the other hand, I've seen him hit the F# and it's awesome.  I've also seen him miss, kind of screaming it, and while it's not great... it doesn't ruin it for me either.  I suppose as long as he isn't hurting his vocal cords, I'd be game for him to try it.  But if he's really just struggling throughout the whole I&W set - then he should come up with something that'll sound good and that helps him out (and the band should support him in that).

Which (sort of) leads to the discussion of whether the band should write really high vocal melodies on future studio albums, even if they know it can't be reproduced live.  I would say yes, but.  He should be able to hit it pretty reliably in the studio, it shouldn't be used extensively (as you said, there are so many facets to his voice), and again they should be willing to rearrange it live if need be.  As someone else mentioned, I too love that you can expect to hear just about any DT song at one of their shows and I don't want them to do "album only" tracks, but would be fine if some tracks are different live than on the album.

I'd rather he take care of himself and not push it if he can't do it. I've no problem with LaBrie changing it up so he can sound good live.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline dodido253

« Reply #86 on: February 14, 2017, 01:49:12 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snn0TYw8ghU
7:12 mark.. James is on FIRE!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: February 14, 2017, 03:07:00 PM »
I don't know dude, that was a pretty rough performance overall.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #88 on: February 14, 2017, 10:18:53 PM »
I don't know dude, that was a pretty rough performance overall.

BUT DER F#5 F5!!

It sounded good at the start, but approaching the four minute mark onwards it starts to get pitchy as the range gets higher.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2017, 01:17:06 AM »
James might be stressed by the pressure of having to nail that note every night. By the time he does it (and he does it fine most of the time), he looks like "there, I did it. Can I go now?"  :lol

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:27 AM »
I bet by now he regrets that part, especially since it's in the middle of a long instrumental section. I mean, it's not like it's the "If there's a pensive fear" section of Take the Time, which is at the very heart of the song, it's just some vocalizing in the "middle of nowhere".

I'm not saying they should do it, or that they would ever entertain the idea, but if James should simply stay backstage the whole time and either JP or JR do on their instrument that part, would the song really lose anything substantial?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline JiM-Xtreme

« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2017, 06:41:12 AM »
If James should simply stay backstage the whole time and either JP or JR do on their instrument that part, would the song really lose anything substantial?

Absolutely. That section is the climax of the song (and IMO, Images and Words as a whole) and the vocal is an essential part of that.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2017, 06:48:29 AM »
If James should simply stay backstage the whole time and either JP or JR do on their instrument that part, would the song really lose anything substantial?

Absolutely. That section is the climax of the song (and IMO, Images and Words as a whole) and the vocal is an essential part of that.

100% agreed.  That part is the climax of the entire album. 

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2017, 02:54:10 PM »

100% agreed.  That part is the climax of the entire album.

Yeah even if LaBrie can't nail it I still want to hear him give it his best shot.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #94 on: February 27, 2017, 07:59:38 PM »
So, I'm listening to the Happy Holidays 2013 CD right now. Granted, there was probably a decent amount of overdubbing going on so it might paint JLB's vocal performance in a better light than is realistic, but man, as recent as 2013 he sang with such power and ease, even really high stuff. The last two tours in contrast (TA and IAW), there's virtually no song where he doesn't struggle.

I don't know. I think maybe it's time to take the hiatus MP was talking about, and then think about what they want to do. I feel by performing in this state DT are doing themselves a big disservice.

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #95 on: February 27, 2017, 08:24:16 PM »
So, I'm listening to the Happy Holidays 2013 CD right now. Granted, there was probably a decent amount of overdubbing going on so it might paint JLB's vocal performance in a better light than is realistic, but man, as recent as 2013 he sang with such power and ease, even really high stuff. The last two tours in contrast (TA and IAW), there's virtually no song where he doesn't struggle.

I don't know. I think maybe it's time to take the hiatus MP was talking about, and then think about what they want to do. I feel by performing in this state DT are doing themselves a big disservice.

Pretty sure there was ZERO overdubs on Happy Holidays. Only pitch correction on Another Day (and nothing else).

Here's an AMAZING Under A Glass Moon performance from 2011- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPsS4D6T9U
And this is the (equally awesome) one they chose for the CD- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frlvTDonme4

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: February 28, 2017, 09:01:51 AM »
So, I'm listening to the Happy Holidays 2013 CD right now. Granted, there was probably a decent amount of overdubbing going on so it might paint JLB's vocal performance in a better light than is realistic, but man, as recent as 2013 he sang with such power and ease, even really high stuff.
Can't speak for every show of the tour, but as recently as December 5th, 2016, when I saw them last, he sang with plenty of power and ease.  He was fantastic that night.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #97 on: February 28, 2017, 09:24:46 AM »
And he was consistently good on the 4th of February in Italy, particuarly nailing from beginning to end Breaking All Illusions.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #98 on: February 28, 2017, 10:50:37 AM »

I don't think they need a big break or something like that, they just need to do less touring or just less consecutive dates, so that his voice can rest more/better. That way he would improve a lot. I don't hink their current big production/budget would allow them to do either, though.

I still think it's very possible that, after a couple more albums/tours, either James or Jordan will retire from DT after so many years of hard touring. I say it could be James because he's been pushing his voice over the years with a lot of concerts and that'll eventually cath with him, or it could be Jordan because he's the oldest of them and, in a few more years, he'll be at his late 60s.

Offline Tick

• It's time to make a change
  • DTF.org Member
  • Just another tricky day for you
« Reply #99 on: February 28, 2017, 11:46:44 AM »
I think the best solution would be to allow JLB to write all his own vocal melodies (assuming this is something he would want), so he could sing whatever is comfortable for him, and apply whatever style feels most natural and fitting for the music.
As a vocalist I think the best solution is to not ride him so hard on tour. Too many dates without proper rest. He could be 20 years younger and that would still be a problem.
The human voice can only be pushed so far. If he had more rest he would probably still be able to bring it at a high level. I'm the same age as James and don't play more that 7 or 8 times a month but if I get pushed to much beyond that my voice loses a lot.
Yup. Tick is dead on.  She's not your type.  Move on.   Tick is Obi Wan Kenobi

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #100 on: February 28, 2017, 12:00:24 PM »
I think the best solution would be to allow JLB to write all his own vocal melodies (assuming this is something he would want), so he could sing whatever is comfortable for him, and apply whatever style feels most natural and fitting for the music.
As a vocalist I think the best solution is to not ride him so hard on tour. Too many dates without proper rest. He could be 20 years younger and that would still be a problem.
The human voice can only be pushed so far. If he had more rest he would probably still be able to bring it at a high level. I'm the same age as James and don't play more that 7 or 8 times a month but if I get pushed to much beyond that my voice loses a lot.

This.

Offline Evai

« Reply #101 on: February 28, 2017, 12:23:40 PM »
I dunno about letting him write all the vocal melodies, songs tend to have chord progressions built around the vocal melodies... Unless JP just deletes all the vocal melodies after he finishes the songs and then lets JLB do his own thing.
Jordan took Moore's boring, pedestrian parts and elevated them considerably to take them from barely palatable to stellar.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #102 on: February 28, 2017, 12:25:30 PM »
I dunno about letting him write all the vocal melodies, songs tend to have chord progressions built around the vocal melodies... Unless JP just deletes all the vocal melodies after he finishes the songs and then lets JLB do his own thing.

As far as I know, with rare exception, DT write all of the music to the songs and then write the vocal melodies around the chord progressions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline CB

« Reply #103 on: February 28, 2017, 02:53:05 PM »

A combination of both would be the best solution imo. But I don't think that will ever happen. DT just isn't a very singer-oriented band and they probably also can't afford more days of rest. BTW, the schedule for the next leg looks frightening ...

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #104 on: February 28, 2017, 05:11:27 PM »
I don't see any schedule for any next leg of the tour. Source?
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP