Author Topic: Travelers (TV / Netflix)  (Read 9923 times)

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Travelers (TV / Netflix)
« on: December 30, 2016, 06:21:58 AM »
Anyone else watched this yet? I've been watching it as it first aired in Canada, but it's now all on Netflix for you US folk, so I thought I'd make a thread for it.

It's a scifi show about a group of travelers whose consciousness is sent back in time into the bodies of people who were about to die anyway, and these travelers have a secret mission to change the future because apparently it's pretty crap. They don't even have bacon. Yeah, it's that crap. They're also trying to continue the lives of the people they took over to maintain their cover.

It's a slow burn show that doesn't make everything obvious, but the last couple of episodes get pretty crazy. I can't wait to see what will happen next season if it continues.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: Travelers (TV / Netflix)
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 06:32:07 AM »
Dammit.  No.  I don't have Netflix.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 06:35:17 AM »
Looks like the only way to legally watch it outside of Canada is on Netflix. Sorry, king. :(

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 06:37:38 AM »
Sometimes you just can't pay for every medium.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 06:45:23 AM »
I don't pay for ANY medium! :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 07:08:15 AM »
 :lol

I'm finally building a new computer.  Talked about motherboards and grapic cards and all that fun stuff with my buddy.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 09:57:26 AM »
Sounds interesting....I shall check it out. Thanks for the heads up  :tup
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 06:39:34 PM »
Love the show, hope it continues.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2017, 12:53:42 PM »
I haven't bothered with it, partially because it looks kind of cheap, partially because I'm not that big a fan of Eric McCormack.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2017, 09:19:29 PM »
I haven't bothered with it, partially because it looks kind of cheap, partially because I'm not that big a fan of Eric McCormack.

I don't think it looks cheap, but it's not a glossy expensive American show, and doesn't use effects. It just looks like a show, typically Canadian production really.
I was also put off by Eric McCormack, but I don't mind him at all in this. I quickly forgot what else I'd known him from, luckily.
I don't know what you'd think of the show, but if you have time, it would be worth checking out the first episode. :tup

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2017, 11:29:40 PM »
I don't mind Eric McCormack, in fact I liked him in Perception, even though the show wasn't amazing but it was good enough to follow at least. He's doing a much better job here, though.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2017, 07:28:19 AM »

I don't think it looks cheap, but it's not a glossy expensive American show, and doesn't use effects. It just looks like a show, typically Canadian production really.
I was also put off by Eric McCormack, but I don't mind him at all in this. I quickly forgot what else I'd known him from, luckily.
I don't know what you'd think of the show, but if you have time, it would be worth checking out the first episode. :tup
I may give it a shot.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 02:32:28 PM »
Blob has a Canadian Sci-Fi fetish.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2017, 11:18:03 PM »
It's true. I cannot deny it.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »
Anyone else watched this yet? I've been watching it as it first aired in Canada, but it's now all on Netflix for you US folk, so I thought I'd make a thread for it.

It's a scifi show about a group of travelers whose consciousness is sent back in time into the bodies of people who were about to die anyway, and these travelers have a secret mission to change the future because apparently it's pretty crap. They don't even have bacon. Yeah, it's that crap. They're also trying to continue the lives of the people they took over to maintain their cover.

It's a slow burn show that doesn't make everything obvious, but the last couple of episodes get pretty crazy. I can't wait to see what will happen next season if it continues.

Done went and got hooked on this now. Three episodes in and I can tell I won't stop watching it until there are no more episodes to watch. Really cool idea.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2017, 11:39:06 PM »
And their are quite a few former actors from Continuum on this show.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2017, 12:09:25 AM »
It's the usual Canadian/Vancouver crowd, you'll see them pop up in most of their genre shows. A lot of Stargate crossover too. Amanda Tapping will show up in an episode of S2 (having already directed an episode as is obligatory for any self respecting Canadian scifi show :lol ). I'm just glad they got a second season.
If you're hooked after 3 episodes, you should love the rest too. As I said earlier in the thread, it builds up towards the end as it fills in more of the story.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2017, 08:59:30 AM »
It's the usual Canadian/Vancouver crowd, you'll see them pop up in most of their genre shows. A lot of Stargate crossover too. Amanda Tapping will show up in an episode of S2 (having already directed an episode as is obligatory for any self respecting Canadian scifi show :lol ). I'm just glad they got a second season.
If you're hooked after 3 episodes, you should love the rest too. As I said earlier in the thread, it builds up towards the end as it fills in more of the story.

I really like that group of Canadian Sci Fi acting talent and as soon as I read your post that familiar feeling I thought I felt became obvious that this show was filmed in that same vein as Continumm and Stargate.

I finished (4) episodes last night. I'm always leery of time travel shows. They are very hard to 'get right' with Continuum and 12 Monkeys being the only two I can think of that have done it well without completely painting themselves into a corner. This series seems as if they understand that and are taking measures to not let it get away from them.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2017, 05:18:08 AM »
I watched this a few months ago.  It was OK, but like someone said above there was a cheap feeling to the production.  I also felt it hit it's peak episode midway though, then kind off fell off hard till the final episode.   I like some of the characters, and the concept is decent - but overall it felt rather pedestrian.  I'd give a second series ago, but would want it to hit the ground running.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2017, 07:12:47 AM »
I don't feel the cheap vibe at all. The show certainly doesn't have a massive budget but it doesn't feel cheap to me.

I've dug the story thus far.....I'm (8) episodes in.....and think there is a ton of potential moving forward.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2017, 10:51:36 AM »
Dammit.  No.  I don't have Netflix.

You should rectify this situation immediately.

Online soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 01:17:55 AM »
I don't feel the cheap vibe at all. The show certainly doesn't have a massive budget but it doesn't feel cheap to me.

I've dug the story thus far.....I'm (8) episodes in.....and think there is a ton of potential moving forward.

Without wishing to go into spoiler territory.  The episode in which the reason for them being in the past is revolved midway though the show felt like the show had nowhere near the budget required to pull of such a big event.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 07:19:19 AM »

Without wishing to go into spoiler territory.  The episode in which the reason for them being in the past is revolved midway though the show felt like the show had nowhere near the budget required to pull of such a big event.

Are you speaking of the Laser that was shot at Helios to deflect it? Sure that could have been glamoured and beefed up a tad but it didn't kill the idea or episode. I get that the budget for this show isn't what some others are....maybe season 2 will be different....but it hasn't detracted from the story I don't think.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2017, 05:46:07 AM »
I watched the first 4 episodes last night. It's an interesting concept but it's only an OK for now.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2017, 07:44:57 AM »
finished the first season last night. I liked it a lot. I can understand where some would be put off by the 'inferior' production value and feel....in the face of other large scale shows it can feel 'cheesy' but I thought the storytelling was good, concept is neat and the final episode left enough doubt and question for the next season to keep me curious.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 06:38:06 AM »
I lost track about 1/2 way thru the season when it was airing live (back in Jan/Feb).  Thankfully, it's on Netflix now, so I can get caught back up.  Was really enjoying it.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2017, 02:33:08 PM »
So this show is back and I do enjoy the second season so far, although it's a bit weaker but it has all the building blocks of a good build-up for the end of the season I believe.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2017, 02:37:27 PM »
So this show is back and I do enjoy the second season so far, although it's a bit weaker but it has all the building blocks of a good build-up for the end of the season I believe.

Cool...didn't know it was back. I'll have to look it up. I'm assuming it's not on Netflix yet.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2017, 03:16:17 PM »
I still have the S1 finale to watch.  It's been running here on Showcase for a few weeks already.  One of the other major Canadian Networks picked up S1 in the spring/summer this year, so I'm hoping they'll do the same in '18 and I can catch it then.  If not, Netflix over the summer again.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2017, 09:53:20 PM »
I've been keeping up with it, and have really liked this season so far. The first episode guest starred Amanda Tapping, which is always good, and I like how it has built on S1.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 07:52:54 AM »
Great ending to the season. I hope it gets renewed, because I want to see how they deal with this clusterfuck, both globally and personally. That dude screwed them over good.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2017, 07:57:02 AM »
I still have to wait for it to hit Netflix. Looking forward to it though....

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2017, 08:18:55 AM »
This season expands things quite a bit more.
I actually thought last week was the season finale because it was two episodes, and I thought that was a big enough finale, but then it turns out that wasn't even the end of the season, there was another double episode this week.
Looks like Netflix gets it December 26 (you may have already known).

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2017, 08:30:08 AM »
Looks like Netflix gets it December 26 (you may have already known).

Nope....didn't know that so I appreciate the heads up. Lots of late nights coming up. Peaky Blinders this Friday, Black Mirror the 29th and now this on the 26th. gonna be one tired dude    :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2017, 08:32:12 AM »
Yeah, I'm psyched for Black Mirror! Took them long enough to announce the damn date on that one. :lol