Author Topic: Ghostwriters for famous artists  (Read 3852 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Ghostwriters for famous artists
« on: December 30, 2016, 04:19:51 AM »
I was listening to Thriller (the song) earlier, and I remembered that the song was actually composed by Rod Temperton, who also wrote other songs for Michael.

What are other (maybe surprising) artists who had their hits written for them? I think Aerosmith is one IIRC, and Elton John had his lyrics written by a professional lyricist.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Lowdz

Re: Ghostwriters for famous artists
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 04:36:03 AM »
Elton John had Bernie Taupin write lyrics. He also wrote lyrics on Alice Cooper's From The Inside album.

Heart's biggest hits were written by outside writers.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 05:00:49 AM »
I looked up Aerosmith, apparently Diane Warren wrote quite a few of their hits. Does anyone know how that came about? It strikes me as odd that a band that so clearly is capable of writing their own songs would hand over the reigns to someone else.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 05:11:34 AM »
Plenty of bands who were more than capable used hit machines like Diane Warren and Desmond Child - no surprise.

Child wrote hits for Jovi, KISS, Aerosmith,Michael Bolton , Ricky MArtin, Alice Cooper etc.......Dream Theater :neverusethis:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 05:23:24 AM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 05:13:31 AM »
Oh, I know, it's quite common, but I'm just trying to imagine how something like that gets introduced. Was Aerosmith not doing well when they started doing it?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 05:15:26 AM »
I am not sure about Aerosmith but Bon Jovi were certainly on a "make or break" situation with Slippery When Wet and so label pressure must surely be a big factor in many of these cases.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 05:20:16 AM »
As long as the writers are credited for the songs I wouldn't call them Ghostwriters.

Joe Cocker had almost all of his songs written by someone else.

The aforementioned Michael Jackson had a lot of outside writers.

Aerosmith has some collaborations with outside writers (mostly on their later records) but they seldom had songs that were completely written by someone else, unless it was a cover version. Diane Warren wrote exactly two songs for Aerosmith, one being the big hit and that probably came about because Aerosmith contributed to the Armageddon soundtrack.

Meat Loaf had Jim Steinman.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 08:16:41 AM »
I thought ghost writers meant writers who were not expressly credited for their songwriting?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 08:31:50 AM »

Heart's biggest hits were written by outside writers.

I remember when I got the I-Ten record and wondered why those pussies were covering songs by Heart and then...................oops  :blush  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 09:28:53 AM »
I would hardly call Jim Steinman a "ghostwriter".  His name is on some of the album covers.  A "ghostwriter" to me is someone like...   Jake E. Lee on Bark at the Moon.  Or Michael McDonald on "I'll Wait" by Van Halen (though he's getting credit now, I believe).   

I would not also call Bernie Taupin a "ghostwriter" or even an "outside writer".  He actively collaborates with Elton, and he is at many of the recording sessions and even toured with him in the 70's (I don't think he does now).  Interestingly, TAUPIN wrote the lyrics to one of Heart's biggest songs:  "These Dreams".  (He also co-wrote the classic, legendary, "We Built This City" by Starship).

As for Aerosmith, I believe it was their time on Geffen Records, when John Kalodner John Kalodner got involved, following "Done With Mirrors" which was good but didn't light up the charts.  "Permanent Vacation" was when the outside collaborators really dug in.

Cheap Trick is another band - like Heart and Aerosmith - that went through an "outside writer" phase.  That's why we're lucky enough to have "The Flame" (single from "Lap of Luxury") and the follow-up album, "Busted".

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2016, 09:36:00 AM »
Cheap Trick seem to have had an issue with The Flame  at times - I can only assume due its "outside writer" status.   I went and saw them live a year or two after The Flame had gone No 1 in Australia (might well be their only No 1 out here) and they refused to play that one song that half the crowd was there to hear.  ::)

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2016, 09:54:57 AM »
Guys, don't get hung up about the word "ghostwriter". I just chose it quickly for lack of a better term. Yes, those people are always credited on an album, but it usually slips under the radar and most people assume the artist wrote the tune.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2016, 10:00:25 AM »
Interestingly, Prince falls into that category, having written The Bangles' "Manic Monday", Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing compares 2 U", and several others.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
A LOT of famous songs are written by outside writers. And its sad. Why must a musician, to be known, have to get weighted
And written songs made for them to be well known. Damn this dictated society.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »
Guys, don't get hung up about the word "ghostwriter". I just chose it quickly for lack of a better term. Yes, those people are always credited on an album, but it usually slips under the radar and most people assume the artist wrote the tune.

I think this assumption is usually held by most people for bands, but I think not for solo artists, especially pop acts.

In the case of Michael Jackson, I think that Quincy Jones did a lot of uncredited ghost writing for him, given the large drop-off in quality of MJ's records after his involvement.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2016, 11:02:35 AM »
A LOT of famous songs are written by outside writers. And its sad. Why must a musician, to be known, have to get weighted
And written songs made for them to be well known. Damn this dictated society.

Because writing and performing songs are different talents. Nothing wrong with being good in just one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2016, 11:06:08 AM »
Hey i'd love to be a successful writer AND be totally anonymous.

I don't need to be famous.

If I could write songs for a big selling artist and just sit at home and get royalties I would.

It would be the best of both.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2016, 11:14:59 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ7fwg-Ibts

Wax Minute by Michael Nesmith was actually written by Richard Stekol.

Rare too as Nez wrote nearly all of his songs, but probably his most progressive track ever was written by someone else.

Also fittingly, today is Michael Nesmith's (and Davy Jones) birthday

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2016, 11:17:46 AM »
And the assumption that a performer should also be the writer is a pretty recent one. As a historical side note, way into the 80s in German the word for"singer" still was "Interpret", because it was assumed that the singer was interpreting someone else's work.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 11:24:47 AM »
Carole King was famous for this in the 60's and the 70's.

Crying in the Rain -- The Everly Brothers

Chains -- The Beatles

You've Got A Friend -- James Taylor

(You Make Me Feel) Like A Natural Woman -- Aretha Franklin

The Locomotion -- Little Eva

Up On The Roof -- The Drifters

« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 11:51:45 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 11:35:53 AM »
The Hives have an outside writer.

Online Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 12:39:40 PM »
There are good musicians and there are good songwriters, but not every good musician is a good songwriter and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that.

Some musicians should just realise that they aren't that good as songwriters and get help from outside.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 12:46:49 PM »
And the assumption that a performer should also be the writer is a pretty recent one. As a historical side note, way into the 80s in German the word for"singer" still was "Interpret", because it was assumed that the singer was interpreting someone else's work.

in the classical world, it's almost all "outside" writers
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 01:01:38 PM »
If we want to venture into the pop world, Sia has written a ton of hits for big name artists like Beyonce, Britney Spears, Katy Perry, Carly Rae Jepsen, Shakira, Jennifer Lopez, etc. while also recording stuff herself.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2016, 01:03:48 PM »
Linda Perry - ex of 4 Non Blondes writes for pop singers now too.

Offline Imaginos

« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2016, 01:19:40 PM »
I've always thought it was interesting that Jeff Beck tends to not write a lot of the music on his albums. I just checked Wikipedia and it actually kind of varies from album to album, sometimes he'll write a few songs, sometimes he co-writes all of them, but then there are albums like Wired where he doesn't write anything.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2016, 01:45:49 PM »
Indeed, Carole King and her boyfriend/husband Gerry Goffin for writing songs (Lennon stated that he wanted him and Paul to be known as the King/Goffin of the music world)

Their friends, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, were part of the song writing machine headed by Don Kirshner.  Well worth the wiki reads, as well as seeing the Carole King documentary.  Or, the Broadway musical 'Beautiful' (FAB show!).

Check out the hits these people wrote, and the variety of artists that did their songs.

Bernie Taupin:  was synonymous with Elton for anyone who listened to the releases as they came out.

Other 'ghostwriters'....the ones Led Zeppelin did not credit on their original releases............
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2016, 02:12:15 PM »
Can't forget Max Martin who has written a ton of hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzRup5YFf8Y

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 02:15:55 AM »
Can't forget Max Martin who has written a ton of hits:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzRup5YFf8Y

Impressive. But man, he's single-handedly responsible for not being able to walk through a shopping mall without wanting to kill yourself.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 09:31:05 AM »
I wasn't aware until somewhat recently that Jackson Browne had written the bulk of Take It Easy, but was having trouble with the second verse, which Glenn Frey completed, resulting it being on the first album by the Eagles.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 09:42:34 AM »
They lived in the same apartment above and below each other.  Kev, did you see The Eagles doc?  They talk to both about it.  It's a great Rock doc.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2016, 09:47:54 AM »
I actually did watch some of it a few weeks ago, but got bored with it after a while and stopped watching.  I am just not that big of an Eagles fan, outside of maybe 10 songs or so, and the documentary itself wasn't interesting enough to keep me watching.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2016, 09:52:05 AM »
Man, I loved it. That's too bad. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
Impressive. But man, he's single-handedly responsible for not being able to walk through a shopping mall without wanting to kill yourself.

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2016, 01:21:15 PM »
Man, I loved it. That's too bad.

Well, like I said, I am not a big fan of the Eagles, and neither Frye nor Henley had/have riveting enough personalities that kept it interesting.  Oh well.