Author Topic: The Biscuit Merchant v. It actually sounds good now  (Read 935 times)

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
The Biscuit Merchant v. It actually sounds good now
« on: January 06, 2017, 08:03:28 PM »
https://soundcloud.com/user-104742152/our-lady-of-perpetual-motion-reborn

Hi guys. Been a while. Work sucks. Anyway, it's been....6 years since I put out music under my Biscuit Merchant moniker. This is due to a variety of reasons, mostly beyond my control. The big one was moving out of my Mom's place into an apartment. I no longer had a place that I could be as loud as I wanted. So that kind of fucked things up a bit. Furthermore, I think I hit the realization that the stuff I was doing before sounded like total dogshit. Teenager UMH certainly didn't care, and I still like the songs I wrote and how I played them, but they were clearly being held back by technical limitations.

Fast forward through a TON of shit. 4 years of college, and now about 2 years of doing nothing with my silly degree. Money's been flowing okay lately, and the world of recording in one's bedroom has absolutely exploded in terms of getting decent sounding products for relatively little coin. I've finally completed my studio after about a year of researching, saving cash, and convincing my job and girlfriend that I won't neglect them if I actually go through with it (joke's on them). 

Future plans are a lot less murky than they were a few years ago. I've written a ridiculous amount of music in the past 6 years, and this long delay in recording means that I've been able to really let the songs gel and figure out what sounds cool and what got old. It was a ton of material that (I think) I've managed to condense into about 2 brand new albums worth of stuff. One will be sort-of conceptual and mostly rooted in proggy-Devin-Townsend territory, and another that's more a collection of much edgier stuff. I have absolutely no idea when either of these are going to happen, but it's likely not going to be anywhere close to the "3 months between every album" garbage I was pulling before.

One thing I'd really like to do is more remakes. None of the songs that I've put out sound even remotely as good as I think they deserve. There's obviously some boring filler, but I want to go through and pick 10 or 11 of my favorites from the olden days and redo them in my new setup. That would be a good way to learn the intricacies of all my new toys so I can really focus on tracking when it comes time to throw down new stuff (and to get better at physically playing drums...ugh). I also think it would be fun to put out a covers album so I can work with more vocal driven stuff (Did I mention that all this new stuff has words too?), but I'm not sure about the legality of releasing such a project.

So here we are. This is a pretty hastily thrown together re-make of the first song from the first Biscuit Merchant album. This is not the first song I ever wrote, but it's the first song I ever programmed drums for and released. The guitars were obviously played with real instruments (like before) but now we have real bass and real-ish drums. I've got a beautiful Roland TD-11 electronic drum set that can hook up to my interface via MIDI, so this is by far the closest I'll be getting to real drums until I have a house. Thanks for the support over the years. You guys will always be my favorite online community, even if life keeps me from checking in as much as I would like.  :heart

https://soundcloud.com/user-104742152/our-lady-of-perpetual-motion-reborn
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH