Author Topic: A "better" Life Left Behind  (Read 6718 times)

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
Re: A "better" Life Left Behind
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2016, 03:26:58 PM »

Perhaps you shouldn't presume to know what offends me. I don't get offended by what some anonymous person on the internet says or thinks about something. I may find it funny or amusing though   ;D ;D ;D

Sorry.  I figured you were into presumptions since thats what your entire post was  :metal

It's just my opinion. You don't have to like it ;)
Trapped inside this sit-com-va-ri-um!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2016, 03:53:17 PM »
Stewie, I find you full of false bravado.   You'll find out this place is like family and we all have different opinions  but when you are condescending like you have been, you will not last long here.

I dig your opinion,  just don't go on the attack.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #37 on: December 31, 2016, 04:01:07 PM »
Stewie, I find you full of false bravado.   You'll find out this place is like family and we all have different opinions  but when you are condescending like you have been, you will not last long here.

I dig your opinion,  just don't go on the attack.

Hmm, I'm sorry you feel that way. As far as I know, I haven't broken any rules. I may express myself bluntly at times, but it's not like my response to the OP was "omg, you're so stupid for doing that". See the difference? That would've been rude, disrespectful, uncalled for - obviously. I just merely disagreed with him, and my way of disagreeing wasn't to your liking. That's all this is. If this place is a family, and by family you mean we all have to express ourselves the same, that's silly. I'm still well within the rules, so, sorry if you don't like the way I express my viewpoints. I've never bothered with sugarcoating things in life, or being "politically correct", and 53 years into it, I'm still here. Thanks for your advice, but why don't you worry about the way you post, and I'll worry about the way I post.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:39:59 PM by Stewie »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 31, 2016, 04:17:49 PM »
The blunt part is what I'm warning you about.  We all appreciate anyone's opinions but pull back on the how harsh you are to others. That's all.

I'm hoping you are enjoying the new year?  Me, family and alcohol at home. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2016, 04:22:23 PM »
I had my 13 y/o edit out the orchestra in IT for me. And had him string ITPOE Pts 1 & 2 together for me. Yay!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2016, 05:52:58 PM »
I had my 13 y/o edit out the orchestra in IT for me. And had him string ITPOE Pts 1 & 2 together for me. Yay!

A bonus for having children!!!

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #41 on: December 31, 2016, 08:30:50 PM »
The blunt part is what I'm warning you about.  We all appreciate anyone's opinions but pull back on the how harsh you are to others. That's all.

I'm hoping you are enjoying the new year?  Me, family and alcohol at home.

While I appreciate your concern, I honestly don't feel I've stepped out of line here at any point. Surely you are well aware that "blunt" and "harsh" aren't mutually exclusive; it's merely a matter of perspective. If you go back and read my original post in this thread (or any of my posts since I joined), you should find that it isn't actually breaking any rules. It was just me pointing out how I think it's a silly concept. Last I checked, it's not a crime to imply that someone's logic is silly when sharing your opinion on the matter. Now, I guess it depends on how sensitive people are around here. I assumed this forum was mostly populated by grown ups...perhaps I shouldn't have made that assumption.

Again, I never insulted the OP. I'm also not the only one who found the concept silly; hefdaddy42 countered the OP's logic, so...why single me out? I'm guessing it's because, as I said earlier, you were either bothered by the manner in which I shared my opinion - so much in fact that you felt compelled to go out of your way to point out the folly of my ways, or, it's a "pick on the new guy" thing, which tends to happen on online communities from time to time. Just because my way of expressing my opinion is different from the approach you'd take, doesn't mean I'm in the wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:47:13 PM by Stewie »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: December 31, 2016, 08:48:52 PM »
Again you've made  my point and while I have no say, the mods do and good luck to you you.

Pointing out we are all grown ups says a lot about you.  We are grown ups and my thoughts on music isn't the best all end all. 

Again, good luck to you here.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #43 on: December 31, 2016, 08:56:58 PM »
Again you've made  my point and while I have no say, the mods do and good luck to you you.

Pointing out we are all grown ups says a lot about you.  We are grown ups and my thoughts on music isn't the best all end all. 

Again, good luck to you here.

Two things:

1.) You shouldn't presume to know anything about me based on posts on a message board.

2.) I never said my thoughts on music were the best all end all, so...yeah.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:34:41 PM by Stewie »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: December 31, 2016, 09:08:55 PM »
It's not about you but how you post. I've seen the brash new posters before like yo get,the axe because they are brash.   Be you, just let with the harsh "Take me as I am" approach disappear.

I've seen. It before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2016, 09:28:43 PM »
Stewie, your first post in this thread was this:

If you have to change someone else's art in order to like it, you're missing the point. I understand that not everything is black and white, and there may be certain parts of the song you like, and others not so much - but if you have to go out of your way to literally tweak the song on your computer, in order to enjoy it, that's fucking absurd (and also kinda sad). Why not just settle for disliking it? Why go to the lengths of hacking it up in order to listen to it in your own little make believe world where the album is great? It's okay to not like the album...you do realize that, right? Lol.

While you're at it, go ahead and edit some movies too - maybe chop out the scenes you didn't like, which were "irrelevant" to the story line! Also, don't forget to pack your brushes and oil paints next time you stop by an art exhibit; that way you can make any changes that may help you enjoy the piece better  :rollin

Rule number 3 of the forum reads simply:

3. Respect your fellow posters.

Do you think the parts I bolded was showing respect to your fellow poster?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2016, 09:31:09 PM »
Listen to us old timers here. Kev is a very knowledgeable vet here who has strong opinions but he doesn't provoke others.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2016, 09:33:47 PM »
Not anymore. I've toned it down.  :biggrin:

Stewie, new blood here is always good  :tup :tup, but maybe get your feet wet a little before diving into the deep end with the brashness, eh? ;)

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2016, 09:37:25 PM »
Seriously, guys? I can't be "brash" until I've got the big-dick-swingin' post count you guys have? You guys do realize post count and "vet" status means nothing, right? If I have an opinion about something and feel compelled to share it along with others, I'm going to. If you don't like it, read on.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2016, 09:40:25 PM »
Again, we are saying we've seen this before and we don't want you to head to the point of being banned. This has nothing to do with post counts.

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2016, 09:48:08 PM »
Again, thank you for your concern, however I still disagree with your assessment. It's simply a matter of perspective, as with all opinions shared here. You've shared yours, I've shared mine; let's move on. I'm not worried about getting banned, and you shouldn't worry about it either.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 10:36:25 PM by Stewie »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2017, 01:29:44 AM »
Don't shoot me because I changed someone else's work....but I can't tell you how much I hate the ending of this song. Its such an amazing, heartfelt, moving, beautifully written song...and then it goes strait to hell. Everyone I show the song to goes, uh what is happening? Why can't they just let a nice song be a nice song? This album does that a lot.   So I fixed it. I edited it to my liking.  Check it out:

https://www.timeaxismedia.com/DreamTheater-ALifeLeft%20Behind(ClarkeMix).mp3

If you have to change someone else's art in order to like it, you're missing the point. I understand that not everything is black and white, and there may be certain parts of the song you like, and others not so much - but if you have to go out of your way to literally tweak the song on your computer, in order to enjoy it, that's fucking absurd (and also kinda sad). Why not just settle for disliking it? Why go to the lengths of hacking it up in order to listen to it in your own little make believe world where the album is great? It's okay to not like the album...you do realize that, right? Lol.

While you're at it, go ahead and edit some movies too - maybe chop out the scenes you didn't like, which were "irrelevant" to the story line! Also, don't forget to pack your brushes and oil paints next time you stop by an art exhibit; that way you can make any changes that may help you enjoy the piece better  :rollin

Welcome back, Letters.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2017, 01:44:49 AM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 02, 2017, 01:56:20 AM »
Came in expecting a mash up of A Better Life and A Life Left Behind.

Was not un-disappointed. :angry:

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: January 02, 2017, 03:43:26 PM »
I don't know if 'lock this thread' is warranted (though I understand the reasoning).

A shame this topic has not been a reasonable discussion.  I would like to see more comments, for/against what the OP did, in an adult fashion.  We all don't share the same amount of likes/dislikes in regards to the whole DT catalogue, and especially for TA.  No doubt that some have shaken their heads at my responses in the past, as have I at others, but we are supposed to be part of one group that can discuss the merits of any song without it degenerating into childish words and behavior.

Hell, I edit out parts of 'The Glass Prison' and ANTR.  Other songs are not part of my album versions, such as 'The Great Debate'.  But that's my taste.  The same goes for various albums of Queen, The Beatles, REM, etc.  Different strokes......

To add on, for discussion sake, as mentioned earlier, I would have preferred the continuing chorus fade out.  As to a comparison with JC Superstar as posted earlier, the change in melody and vocals would have worked for me, if there were different vocalists for each part.  Then I would know 'who is who' as in JC.  That would have really worked for me with this track.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2017, 04:02:28 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Stewie

• Evil Baby
  • Banned
  • Football for a head
« Reply #55 on: January 02, 2017, 07:41:34 PM »
Okay, now that the dust has settled, I went back and read my original post again. I can see how some may interpret it as harsh, although I wasn't actually trying to be cruel or condescending. It was meant in a playful/comedic manner; not serious or judgemental. I should've worded it more carefully, so, I apologize - both to the OP, and to everyone else.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #56 on: January 03, 2017, 03:27:33 AM »
Tastes are tastes and everyone is entitled to their own. I think A Life Left Behind is one of the best songs on the album precisely BECAUSE it builds so superbly to the climax. But that's me, and I have no problem with other people not liking it.

But I don't understand what it is that the OP dislikes about The Astonishing. On one hand, you don't like the fact that this particular song changes mood (even though, as you note, DT do it a lot). But then you also say the album should have merged songs together more resulting in longer songs but the same overall material, which would have meant more of exactly what we get in this song. So which is it?

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #57 on: January 03, 2017, 09:25:50 AM »
For the record, from a moderator standpoint, I have more of a problem with kingshmegland derailing the thread for half a page telling someone how they should or shouldn't post than I have with anything Stewie said.  But on the flipside, part of the reason this forum overall runs so smoothly and has for so many years is because longstanding members like him are proactive like that and the forum, in large part, polices itself.  At the end of the day, Stewie was fine for speaking his mind.  Maybe he was a bit too blunt and on the nose, and King and Kev were fine for pointing that out.  But we don't need to go on with the continued back and forth over it.  Bottom line is, there isn't a major problem with anything posted in this thread, so let's stop focusing on nonexistent problems and get it back on topic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2017, 10:21:31 AM »
I wasn't trying to minimize what he was saying just be careful how you say it.  I know you know that Bosk1,  I just wanted to let him understand that many bold, in your ace statements could cause him to be suspended. 

That's all. I love reading others thoughts on subjects.  Aright,back to the thread.

Offline Shooters1221

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
I'm of the opinion that the piece is perfect the way it is on the album as per the flow of the story. The way it ends is actually my favorite part, as I do love the rest of the song also, but no, no "radio single fade out edit" needed at the end as this is part of the "prog" process and I really LOVE the freedom that prog/metal/whatever artists can offer....JMO ;)

That being said, the OP doesn't share that outlook and I can see where they might be coming from, however, pretty much anyone can have disagreements about every song ever written in the history of music.

Offline jsbru

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
On the original promo release, When Your Time Has Come was not its own track...

What was it paired with?  Savior?

To me, those two songs together are one of the peaks of the album.  Alongside the ANB guitar solo and 1000 voices leading into ONW.
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.”

― Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #61 on: January 05, 2017, 08:20:28 AM »
Yes.  Those two were one "track" on the promo.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."