25 (32.9%)
JP, JM, MP, JLB, DS
4 (5.3%)
JP, JM, MP, JLB, JR
34 (44.7%)
JP, JM, JLB, JR, MM
12 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 76

Author Topic: What is your favorite DT lineup?  (Read 4222 times)

Offline Lethean

Re: What is your favorite DT lineup?
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2016, 09:13:49 PM »
I voted for the current line up, but I could just as easily have voted for #5.  But as much as I do love SC and Black Clouds, and I really do, I like the last three a bit more.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2016, 09:14:52 PM »
It's sooo hard!!!!!!

It's either the line up with the current members and portnoy or the current members, portnoy, and moore. But, I went with Jordan Rudess instead of Moore.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2016, 09:19:58 PM »
The current lineup. They came with two of my three most favorite DT albums.

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2016, 09:25:19 PM »

ADTOE and DT12?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2016, 10:01:55 PM »

ADTOE and DT12?

Dream Theater (my no. 3) and The Astonishing (no. 1). The other album in my Top 3 is Awake.

I like Dream Theater most when their music match the lyrics and the concepts of songs, which I find in these three albums.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2016, 01:32:08 AM »
The lineup from SFaM to BC&SL. Jordan entering the band gave them the spark that was needed to revitalize their music after the lackluster effort that was FII. Once Portnoy left, they lost a lot of what made them special although I still think that they're great with Mangini. Considering that three of my top six albums come from the JP, JM, MP, JLB, JR era (SFaM at #1, 8VM at #3, and SDoIT at #6) as opposed to two from the JP, JM, JLB, JR, MM era (TA at #4 and ADToE at #5), one from the JP, JM, MP, KM, JLB era (IaW at #2), and none from any other era, for me it's safe to say that the band was at their peak from 1999-2005 and rode that momentum all the way to when MP left the band in 2010. It's a stretch of time that no other band can come close to matching as far as I'm concerned.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2016, 07:49:34 AM »
Since JLB, there has been much to love about every lineup; all of them have been great.  I will go with the Kevin Moore lineup from 1992-1994, because those two albums are my favorites and his style was a big part of me getting into the band in the first place, but I get why some would go with the others, especially the 1999-2010 lineup.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2016, 08:06:34 AM »
The interesting thing about this poll, is the fact it likely reflects age and when we got into the band (for the most part). A LOT of people got into DT with the fifth lineup in this poll, and a lot of the old timers got into it with the third. Obviously, there are tons of exceptions (I'm one of them -- technically, I got into DT with ACOS, but I've always preferred the I&W/Awake lineup.

But clearly, lineups 3 and 5 will be the winners...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2016, 08:53:21 AM »
I changed my vote. Charlie is my bro.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2016, 09:16:02 AM »
Obviously, there are tons of exceptions (I'm one of them -- technically, I got into DT with ACOS, but I've always preferred the I&W/Awake lineup.

Count me in. I got into DT with the I&W lineup but my favorite is the current one.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2016, 09:38:03 AM »
Yes - Falling Into Infinity has a couple of duds - but I still prefer it to Awake - which I find a chore to listen to beyond the opening three songs.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2016, 09:51:45 AM »
I'd say the SFAM through BC&SL lineup is my favorite. It's weird though because SC and BC&SL are two of my least favorite DT albums, but the strength of SFAM and SDOIT is too overwhelming for me to ignore. The I&W lineup is a close second.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2016, 10:05:28 AM »
It's tough, because Dream Theater is a big roller coaster ride for me over their career, with my favorite albums spread throughout, as well as some of my least favorite. I ended up going with the next to newest lineup because it had two of my three absolute favorite albums, Scenes From a Memory and Train of Thought.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2016, 11:19:11 AM »
Obviously, there are tons of exceptions (I'm one of them -- technically, I got into DT with ACOS, but I've always preferred the I&W/Awake lineup.

Count me in. I got into DT with the I&W lineup but my favorite is the current one.

I got into DT with lineup 5, but the current is my favorite too.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline FsF

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2016, 06:21:43 PM »
Got to be #3 for me, virtually flawless output between the 2 albums and various B-sides.