Author Topic: RIP George Michael  (Read 6657 times)

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
RIP George Michael
« on: December 25, 2016, 04:11:13 PM »
Well, Last Christmas takes on new meaning now

2016 isn't done yet

RIP
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: RIP George Michael
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2016, 04:13:17 PM »
WHAT . THE . FUCK .

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2016, 04:20:30 PM »
2016 won't go out quietly, won't it?
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2016, 04:26:49 PM »
unbelievable.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

My wife is an Enormous Fan. This has come as huge shock, really out of nowhere. Kind of ruining her X-Mas.

He was planning a documentary, new album and Tour over the next couple of years. The Documentary and even album might still happen, posthumously, but the tour unfortunately won't.

This really sucks. Probably more than any other celebrity death of the past few years for her, even more than Prince, this sucks big time.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »
Ahhh that's such a shame. Great artist with a great song treasure.

RIP George Michael
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2016, 05:11:02 PM »
I can't believe he was only 53! I got his album "Older" in 1996.. so he was 33 and felt "Older"! I thought he was in his mid 40's at the time.
RIP
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2016, 05:37:42 PM »
Guy could absolutely sing. "Praying For Time" is my theme song for how desperately f'd up this world can be and just an amazing bittersweet song in general. RIP... :sadpanda:

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2016, 06:04:09 PM »
What the fucking fuck! Couldn't believe it when I saw the thread title.   :'(

RIP George.  Not a fan, but dude could sing and has some stellar tunes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2016, 06:16:43 PM »
My mom is going to be sad. She loved George Michael. Sad news, pretty young and he had some major singing chops.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 06:33:46 PM »

Same here (I thought there era of Faith/I Want Your Sex was awful) , but I did like I Knew You Were Waiting w/Aretha Franklin as a little kid.      He's a bit like Pink/Fergie in that I would've liked to hear a bit more of what he could do in a rock setting.   Certainly had the power .
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 06:53:07 PM »
What the fucking fuck! Couldn't believe it when I saw the thread title.   :'(

Agreed on both counts.  WOW!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2016, 06:56:27 PM »

Same here (I thought there era of Faith/I Want Your Sex was awful) , but I did like I Knew You Were Waiting w/Aretha Franklin as a little kid.      He's a bit like Pink/Fergie in that I would've liked to hear a bit more of what he could do in a rock setting.   Certainly had the power .

I always liked, I think it was called Fastlove.  Groovy as hell.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2016, 06:59:15 PM »
Careless Whisper puts me right in the DeLorean.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2016, 07:27:50 PM »
Listening to One More Try, what a voice!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »
Not a fan either but definitely respect him. "Last Christmas" is a very catchy tune and an excellent video.

Sad news

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2016, 08:54:47 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Last Christmas goes to number 1 worldwide in the next couple of weeks

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2016, 08:57:16 PM »
Like him or not, he had one of the greatest voices in pop of the post-70s era.  Careless Whisper is a phenomenal tune.

R.I.P.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Last Christmas goes to number 1 worldwide in the next couple of weeks

Good call j.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2016, 10:19:26 PM »
Wasn't a fan of WHAM! or George, and then comes along the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, and his performance with Queen of 'Somebody To Love'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAR8RigqDA

Enjoy the whole song, or start at 2:20 to get the feel of what leads up to around the 3:30 mark, with the ultimate highlight around 3:45, and Brian's glowing, accepting smile afterwards......

A fan of Queen for four decades+, and this is the ONLY rendition of ANY Queen song with a different vocalist that I like.  He frickin' NAILED it, NAILED it, NAILED it.  Stunned me then, stunned me later, still stunned me when we listened to it two days ago.  Always wish he would have been given the keys to the Ferrari, and that Brian and Roger would have done an album with him, or at least a couple of world tours. 

My admiration for that performance has never ceased.  For the first time tonight, my enjoyment dropped a notch. 

Thanks for one glorious reminder of what power that band had in the right hands (vocals).  Rest well, sir.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 08:00:15 AM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2016, 11:26:14 PM »
A real bolt out of the blue, this one. Huge shock. Creator of some of the finest songs of the last 30 years. I remember hearing both Kissing a Fool and Cowboys And Angels for the first time and being blown away with it.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2016, 01:21:26 AM »
Well this came out of the blue, I didn't even know he was ill.

RIP George, I'm going to listen to Jesus To A Child now. I remember really liking it when it was released.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2016, 01:41:18 AM »
Wasn't a fan of WHAM! or George, and then comes along the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert, and his performance with Queen of 'Somebody To Love'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYAR8RigqDA

That was excellent!  :tup

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2016, 01:49:34 AM »
I'm in shock! I'm a huge fan of Wham and GM, listened to him non-stop when a teen and in my young adult life. Fuck you, 2016! Up to the end, you will keep on taking one each day?!?

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2016, 01:53:47 AM »
Not a fan, but he had a great set of pipes for sure.

RIP

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2016, 02:53:24 AM »
George was my favorite non-rock/metal male vocalist. So, this was very hard news to hear. Yet another 2016 death of a music icon and on fucking Christmas.
His technique was absolutely flawless and his live performances always ended up sounding better than his studio work.

I also agree George stole the show at the Freddy Tribute concert. Unbelievable.

If you want to hear a song of his that has moments that sound a lot like Freddie, check out  "Mother's Pride". One of the saddest songs
I've ever heard in my life.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2016, 03:03:52 AM by NunoTenniscourt »

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2016, 03:22:20 AM »
George was my favorite non-rock/metal male vocalist. So, this was very hard news to hear. Yet another 2016 death of a music icon and on fucking Christmas.
His technique was absolutely flawless and his live performances always ended up sounding better than his studio work.

I also agree George stole the show at the Freddy Tribute concert. Unbelievable.

If you want to hear a song of his that has moments that sound a lot like Freddie, check out  "Mother's Pride". One of the saddest songs
I've ever heard in my life.

MP is one of my absolute faves as well. The rendition, the emotion, the power...What a beast of a singer he was!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2016, 03:36:27 AM »
I remember back when Freddie Mercury died - a lot of people just *assumed* George Michael would take over. He seemed the perfect fit.

Maybe George didn't want to "replace" Freddie but it would have been perfect I think.

Paul Rodgers was such an odd choice.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2016, 03:38:50 AM »
He did a great version of Somebody To Love on the Freddie tribute concert.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2016, 04:52:01 AM »
Stumbled upon the rehearsals for that Freddie tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBmZ0qNhIq0

David Bowie and Seal chillin in the back while Brain May can't contain himself.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2016, 07:23:45 AM »
A real bolt out of the blue, this one. Huge shock. Creator of some of the finest songs of the last 30 years. I remember hearing both Kissing a Fool and Cowboys And Angels for the first time and being blown away with it.

Kissing a Fool was his least successful single from Faith, but I always thought it was better than almost all of the others, except Father Figure, which sits alongside Careless Whisper as the two best songs he ever wrote.

For those of us who watched MTV a lot in 1987 and 1988, George Michael was as much as a mainstay at the time as Def Leppard, U2 and Guns N' Roses, which is really saying something. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2016, 12:16:36 PM »
I was not a big GM fan, but I will vouch for Kev's comment about him being all over MTV as much as any artist.

My initial thought was also the Mercury concert. I remember watching that live, and that performance was probably my favorite, and it does still stand up today. He doesn't try and emulate Freddie's voice, but uses his own amazing voice to do justice to Freddie's delivery and passion.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2016, 03:17:25 PM »
Fuck this year. Like seriously. The Grammys are gonna have to use a Dream Theater song for the in memoriam come February.

I was never the biggest George Michael fan, but Careless Whisper is pretty great and Mother's Pride gives me chills every time I hear it.

RIP George Michael.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2016, 03:55:33 PM »
not a huge fan, but Freedom '90 is a killer tune.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diYAc7gB-0A

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #33 on: December 27, 2016, 09:57:44 AM »
I was a big fan back in the day.  One of the best pure voices I've ever heard, and always had catchy songs.

RIP
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2016, 11:02:28 AM »
While surprising, it looks like he had an uncontrolled heroin addiction. His boyfriend called the previous three weeks "complicated", which probably refers to heavy abuse.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."