Author Topic: It's A Thread About Vinyl !  (Read 6356 times)

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
Re: It's A Thread About Vinyl !
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2017, 07:53:20 PM »
I just check the records before buying them. If you go to record conventions and such where the people selling take good care of their records then you should be fine.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline 7th

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2017, 11:22:02 PM »
Got a 200g Led Zep III with the original wheel cover for xmas.  Nice addition to the ever growing collection!
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline Tiko

• Keyboardist for The Storyline
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2017, 01:24:15 AM »
Don't worry guys, cracks & pops are most likely dust. A good cleaning will do miracles. I've been collecting for some years now after I got a Garrard 301 from my grandfather. After googling around I found that the motor unit alone was worth over 2000 euros so I decided to keep it and put together a new configuration. Love it.

Before

After

I have about 30 records now with some rare ones too. I only collect albums I really really like, so I won't grow a huge collection.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2017, 06:51:21 AM »
My mom was showing me her vinyl collection last night.  She has an original copy of Carol King's 'Tapestry'.  She had a few Rolling Stones greatest hits collections (Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) (1966) and Through The Past, Darkly (Big Hits Vol. 2) (1969)), some Elvis Presley albums, Beach Boys, etc.  She said I could have them.  However, only God knows when that day is gonna come.  She seemed so proud of them, she didn't look like she'll be handing them over anytime soon.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2017, 09:45:13 AM »
Keep prog alive - see it live!

Meine Musikliste

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2017, 11:20:35 AM »
I was thinking about buying the new Sepultura album on vinyl, but I'm probably not going to based on how they made it. 

They stretched out 45 minutes of music over 4 sides, three sides being actual music and the fourth side being an 'etching', which I think is really dumb. If you can fit all the music neatly onto one disc, just put it on one disc. Otherwise I feel like it's a waste of vinyl and packaging, and I'm kind of annoyed by how many albums I own that are double LPs with only 12 minutes a side.

Does this bother anyone else?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2017, 11:36:57 AM »
A few of my new records are 3 songs per side - Octavarium being one.

It doesn't bother me but yeah i'd rather have half and half or split evenly over two discs.

I'm listening to The Hunter by Mastodon and that's 6 songs per side :tup

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2017, 12:12:47 PM »
I was thinking about buying the new Sepultura album on vinyl, but I'm probably not going to based on how they made it. 

They stretched out 45 minutes of music over 4 sides, three sides being actual music and the fourth side being an 'etching', which I think is really dumb. If you can fit all the music neatly onto one disc, just put it on one disc. Otherwise I feel like it's a waste of vinyl and packaging, and I'm kind of annoyed by how many albums I own that are double LPs with only 12 minutes a side.

Does this bother anyone else?

It does bother me when the artist/label don't maximize playing time per side.

However, there can be benefits. If the sides are shorter because it's being cut at 45 instead of 33 RPM, you get a sound quality upgrade, but a shorter runtime. If the album is short anyway, may as well.

The worst is when it has to be a double but just barely, so you end up with like 13 minutes on each side. It allows sound quality to stay up but you're flipping almost twice as often.

Then again, an overstuffed single LP is probably the worst of all (assuming it's pressed in stereo). Mastodon are bad for this. So is Atom Heart Mother, for those counting – the 2016 reissue definitely should have done ATM side 1, Fat Old Sun/Alan's side 2, then a 7" for the remaining two songs. You simply can't make a 28-minute side sound good and be at the right volume.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2017, 12:16:53 PM »
I have 3 Mastodon LPs and they all sound great to me ?

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2017, 04:51:05 PM »
I just check the records before buying them. If you go to record conventions and such where the people selling take good care of their records then you should be fine.

It's been ages since I been to one of these. I don't think they have them anymore. I should check.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2017, 04:31:24 AM »

Today's delivery. :)

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2017, 04:40:26 AM »

Today's delivery. :)

This is where Green Day lost me. I was a huge fan for years and American Idiot is one of my most listened to albums of all time but I wasn't a fan of 21st Century Breakdown. I haven't really liked anything I've heard since then either, shame really.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2017, 04:51:20 AM »
I don't like it as much as American Idiot but it's still good. They don't do "terrible" albums.

Try Revolution Radio. It's the best album they've done since American idiot.

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2017, 05:09:47 AM »
I don't like it as much as American Idiot but it's still good. They don't do "terrible" albums.

Try Revolution Radio. It's the best album they've done since American idiot.

I did listen to a few of the songs but they didn't exactly want to make me listen to the album. I should probably give them a try and not write them off completely. There's just so much good new music out there that if I don't feel the urge to listen to an album after hearing a few songs then I won't waste my time on it.

I know singles don't always represent the best that an album has to offer though. Recommend me what you think is the best song and I'll give it a listen. If it sucks though it'll be your fault that I never give the album a chance  :lol   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2017, 05:12:04 AM »
Meh everything is my fault.... ::)

Listen to " Too Dumb to Die " and " Forever Now "... :)

Offline twosuitsluke

« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2017, 05:27:08 AM »
Meh everything is my fault.... ::)

Listen to " Too Dumb to Die " and " Forever Now "... :)

Too Dumb to Die wasn't that great but I liked Forever Now a bit more  :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2017, 05:31:06 AM »
Those are my two faves on the album. :)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »
Gotta say - 21st Century Breakdown sounds better on Vinyl.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2017, 09:55:44 AM »
Gotta say - 21st Century Breakdown sounds better on Vinyl.

It's a nice thick 180 gram vinyl too. Feels substantial and sounds crystal clear.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: It's A Thread About Vinyl and Green Day...Kinda..
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2017, 05:33:49 PM »
Woo Hoo I just bought Green Day - dookie on Vinyl ! :D

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: January 31, 2017, 09:16:22 AM »
Fine i'll just go ahead and continue to talk to myself :P :P

Just found this in a charity shop for £1.50. In really good nick. Someone looked after it. I gave it a wipe with a damp record brush and it's sounding pretty good !

I said i wouldn't buy 2nd hand vinyl - but things like this are OK in my book. I meant rock records that are 2nd hand. I kinda don't mind the crackling if it's really old records like this.

:)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 10:38:28 AM by Kotowboy »

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2017, 09:25:18 AM »
Hmm, I don't see any pic...

Tomorrow, I should get the new PoS (in silver), Haken's Aquarius (clear) und Visions (white).

Also on order: 3 Magic Pie vinyls and Porcupine Tree The Delerium Years 1991-1993 (9 LP box).

:hat

Meine Musikliste

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2017, 10:38:42 AM »
Try it now - I changed the host.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2017, 12:48:48 PM »
I love buying second hand vinyl. Only today, The Mission's Neverland arrived. Hopefully by the weekend I'll also have Motley Crue's Dr Feelgood and the original pressing of Zep's The Song Remains the Same in my sticky mitts. I grew up at the tail-end of the vinyl era (born in 73) so trawling record shops was something my school friends and I loved to do. Nowadays it's mostly scouring Discogs.

Modern day vinyl often feels a bit phoney to me. Doesn't stop me buying it, though ;)
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2017, 12:50:51 PM »
I bought a nice heavy 180 gram album the other day. Think it was Mastodon or Green Day. Just felt nice and sounded great.

Dunno what would be "phoney" about modern records. They're made exactly the same way as they've always been.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2017, 12:56:29 PM »
Oh, there's nothing literally phoney about it. It just lacks history; the feeling that you're holding a piece of time, if you will. Of course, it will have its turn one day.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2017, 01:02:46 PM »
I only got a record player last year. I've had one before many moons ago when i were nought but a teen.

But getting records has been really fun. I'm something of an audiophile and I clean them thoroughly each time I play them.

I just got Dookie on vinyl and because it's from 1994 - it's not mastered as loud as modern records and therefore there is quite a lot of rumble in between songs.

Fine when the song is playing but irks the audiophile in me when the song is really quiet and you can hear the rumble and crackle underneath :p

If I can afford it i think i'll buy new records instead of CDs. At least *nowadays* they'll sound better than CD due to the mastering and you get bigger artwork...

PLUS - I can always hear a digital version either on Spotify OR if Amazon offers an MP3 download of the vinyl :)

Best Of Both Worlds.

( Mr. Worf...Fire...)

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2017, 01:15:38 PM »
I can only empathise regarding the rumble!

The main attraction of vinyl for me these days is the artwork since I like to hang them on the walls of the outhouse (we did the outhouse up last year, turned it into my guitar/gaming/film/music room/library). Chasing old records just for the artwork can get a bit pricey, though! Finally acquired Justice a few weeks ago for £42 although that's not a bad price for it. I'd wanted it pretty much since 1988 so I don't mind really ;D

I think it's great that people are discovering - and rediscovering - vinyl.
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2017, 01:18:45 PM »
Yeah before the loudness wars I was adamant that CD sounded better.

Now that CDs are mastered so loud that there is audible distortion - I'd prefer vinyl as you cannot push them so hard.

Also - I have bought albums on vinyl that have I have consequently enjoyed far more.

21st Century Breakdown by Green Day is a good example. It just sounds so much better. I love it a lot more now.

Plus getting up every 3-5 songs to change the side gives you somewhat of an ear rest.

At least for me as I like to throughly clean the side before playing it.

I bought one of those velvet brush things that comes with a tiny toothbrush for wiping the needle. It's great ! I give it a fine mist spray of soapy water and dry it so it's ever so slightly damp

and it picks up all dirt and cleans the record nicely.

Also - last week I tried giving a 30 year old record a bath as I didn't care about ruining it. I immersed it in slightly soapy lukewarm water and dried it thoroughly with a very soft duster.

Then I held the velvet brush on it for the duration of the running time and it *definitely* sounded better.

I won't go to such extremes for new records though. It was just an experiment.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: February 01, 2017, 02:27:06 PM »
I dunk all my second hand purchases through the good old Disco Antistat (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Knosti-Static-Cleaning-Machine-Generation/dp/B000BFXIVW). Suspect it'd probably unnerve you but it works a charm and is highly recommended by many experienced collectors.

I'd quite like an automatic cleaning machine (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BFCVRGC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2F0KNI28398LS&coliid=I23M4IL90Q0NEW) but at £299 to £349, I've got slightly more pressing requirements at the moment!
Paul
Leicestershire, UK

Offline Mosh

« Reply #65 on: February 01, 2017, 04:34:07 PM »
Hmm, I don't see any pic...

Tomorrow, I should get the new PoS (in silver), Haken's Aquarius (clear) und Visions (white).

Also on order: 3 Magic Pie vinyls and Porcupine Tree The Delerium Years 1991-1993 (9 LP box).

:hat
I preordered the two Haken albums too but last time with Affinity they didn't ship until the day of release. I'm assuming it's the same with this one and i won't be getting it until the end of the month.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: February 01, 2017, 04:39:40 PM »
I don't mind getting the new Mastodon late since I can hear it on Spotify on release day anyway.

Offline ich bin besser

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2017, 10:49:06 AM »

Yay, arrival!  :tup

Meine Musikliste

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2017, 04:16:19 PM »

Yay, arrival!  :tup

Can you post thoughts on side B of Visions when you get a chance to listen? It runs overlong. Kinda worried how it affects the quality.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #69 on: February 02, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
Edit: Nevermind