Author Topic: Unexpected guest for Christmas  (Read 2102 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Unexpected guest for Christmas
« on: December 23, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
Evening guys. . .  So today has been an interesting today.

My girlfriend and I were driving home from doing some last minute christmas shopping when on this two lane road we see a dog walking down the opposite side of the road. There is no sidewalk and cars move 50+mph on this road. There was an suv following this dog closely, my girlfriend and I assumed that it was the owner who probably wanted to get their lost/runaway dog. I turned the car around because I wanted to make sure she grabbed the dog.

I'm driving back down the road and I see the suv pull away and this dog is just strolling. We follow it into this elementary school which is closed for the holidays. I kept trying to get him to come over to the car but he wouldn't. He looked well groomed but no collar. He wasn't scared and didn't run from us, just didn't come close. Eventually he comes out the other end of the elementary where there is a very busy road near a mall.

We block the sidewalk access with our car to this road and call animal control. I didn't want to leave him to cross the road and risk getting hit and I wasn't going to leave this dog here even if he wasn't coming close to me.

While waiting for animal control another car sees us and pulls over and say's that they saw the dog (who is now sleeping on the sidewalk) at 10:30am and called animal control (it's 3:30pm). We call my girlfriends father and asked to bring some dog food over from the house, our house is really close by.

My girlfriends dad brings us the dog food and we slowly gain his trust with it. He inhales the food and water we got him. We get him in the car and get him home. We feed him and now he is sleeping on the floor. We are going to see if he is chipped and see if we can find the owner but if we can't we are wondering if we should keep him. He is incredibly skinny, but otherwise seems really well taken care of.

This is when he gave up and lied down on the floor:

This is when we first got him to the house:

This is him now:

tl;dr We found a dog, if we can't find the owner, should we keep him?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Unexpected guest for Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
You're stuck with him, mate. By the time you put forth a legitimate effort to see if he's owned and wanted he'll already be your dog.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 07:04:33 PM »
I fear that too bart, I had a german shepard growing up and have always had a soft spot for the breed.

My concern mainly is we already have a dog, a yorkie who is incredibly sweet and already has welcomed this new dog into the house. I just don't know how that will play out in the long term.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 07:09:17 PM »
....and your girlfriend will inform you on Christmas morning that she is pregnant. :D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 07:22:30 PM »
Now that would be a nightmare.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2016, 08:10:33 PM »
I would keep him in a heartbeat. But first obviously see if he/she belongs to someone else.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2016, 08:56:36 PM »
Such a sweet looking dog.  I hope he gets his forever home, some way or another.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2016, 04:20:56 AM »
Awwww. Well I hope you either find the owner or keep the pup.
Oh Jackie, always jumping to the most homoerotic possibility.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2016, 04:54:37 AM »
You have a new dog bro.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2016, 04:48:31 PM »
Just a quick follow up.

He has been an amazing house guests only peeing once (the first night) in the house. He is incredibly gentle, calm and affectionate. He's become my shadow for the most part. Something is up with his hip though. He has a hard time running, I think it may just be soreness.

He is going to vet tomorrow and we'll see what shape he is in and if he is microchipped.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2016, 08:26:55 PM »
Aww, hopefully he's okay.. and kinda sorta hoping he's not chipped so you can keep his cute ass.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2016, 05:52:41 AM »
I'm taking him in today to find out. My gf's friend works at the humane society; she says legally if he is chipped we file a report and the owners have two weeks to claim him, after that, he is ours.

Either we'll take him or my gf's parents will.

That's him christmas night with the new toys and bed we got him.

Offline bout to crash

• Admiral Jackbar
  • DT.net Veteran
  • Instant Erection!
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2016, 02:01:00 AM »
AWWWWWW  :heart

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2016, 08:29:37 AM »
THE FEELS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2016, 10:28:52 AM »
Any update? Great rescue story!
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2016, 11:32:32 AM »
Yes.

Murphy has been awesome so far, he has regained most of his strength and has been doing laps in our yard. We have talked a lot about it and decided that we are going to give him to one my gf's co-workers who lives a quarter mile from us, he will have a great home ther. She has a german shepherd already, a large yard and fosters dogs. Plus we can see him whenever.

I just don't think it'll be fair if he stays with us. I work everyday and my girlfriend is gone every week and he still has a lot of energy in him.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2016, 11:45:41 AM »
So he wasn't chipped? Did y'all check other avenues to see if somebody was looking for him? Judging from his behavior and the way he sacked out on the sidewalk I'd have bet money he was owned. Though that's certainly not to say that some asshole didn't drive him 30 miles away and dropped him off somewhere.

In any case I'm on the dog's side so I'm glad you found him a good home.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 12:22:54 PM »
I took him to the vet to get checked out and to see if he was chipped. He wasn't chipped and was in good health. We looked at all the local sites for lost dogs and couldn't find anything.

Apparently in our area its common for people to go and just dump there dogs in the woods. In fact, our one neighbor came over last night with another german shepherd thinking it was the one we just picked up that may have gotten loose from us. It wasn't and she took the dog to animal control.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
Apparently in our area its common for people to go and just dump there dogs in the woods.

I'm not a dog person, but I've been following this thread and I've got to say that that is damn sad thing. I'm not sure where you're at, but I've heard of people doing that in my area as well.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2016, 06:37:01 AM »
Glad he is healthy and doing well. Good on you for finding a home for him. I hate it when people do what they likely did to that poor dog. Cruelty sucks.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2016, 08:34:29 AM »
Yea he is doing great. He'll be going to his new home January 2nd. Many tears will be shed when he leaves but he will be going to a good home.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2016, 04:42:25 PM »
You da man Reaper.  That's a nice thing you guys did for that dog.  Dog looks great too and glad to see it was in good health. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2016, 05:18:26 PM »
Good on you and your gal for recognizing that you can't give Murphy a forever home, but are taking good care of him regardless. Good looking doggo. :heart

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2016, 05:25:07 PM »
Glad he is healthy and doing well. Good on you for finding a home for him. I hate it when people do what they likely did to that poor dog. Cruelty sucks.
E. All of the above
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2017, 06:39:35 PM »
So Murphy is at his new home. I dropped him off with my gf yesterday. He has a massive yard with a 9ft fence to run around in. I feel comfortable giving him away as she trains dogs for a living and runs a doggy day care part time.

That said it didn't make it any easier to say goodbye to him, it was impossible to hold back the tears saying goodbye to him. After a month or so we'll make a visit and see him.

Finally if it is too much for her then we'll take him back and make it work in our house.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »
So Murphy is at his new home. I dropped him off with my gf yesterday. He has a massive yard with a 9ft fence to run around in. I feel comfortable giving him away as she trains dogs for a living and runs a doggy day care part time.

That said it didn't make it any easier to say goodbye to him, it was impossible to hold back the tears saying goodbye to him. After a month or so we'll make a visit and see him.

Finally if it is too much for her then we'll take him back and make it work in our house.

You did the right thing. Again, much respect for you stopping and taking care of him to begin with.  :tup

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2017, 10:45:06 AM »
That's a great story!  Thanks to you that dog has a chance to have a good life again in a loving home. If animal control picked him up, he may have ended up in the pound with a terrile outcome, or may have been hit by a car or truck have you not stopped to help him. You did a wonderful thing..  :tup
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2017, 04:16:45 PM »
One last twist to this story:

My girlfriend just got a text from her friend saying that she doesn't want Murphy any longer. He hasn't been bad or anything, he just lays in bed all day but she honestly was expecting a different dog so we are bringing him home tomorrow.

This time he is staying with us, permanently.

We are going to give the garage to him until we fence in our yard, our garage is heated and that will be where he hangs out when he is alone or sleeping.

I'll be working some days from home so we'll have time together and we also have a dog walker for the days that I do have to go to work.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »
:tup

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2017, 06:03:31 PM »
 :tup
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2017, 08:15:27 PM »
That makes me happy. You guys sounded like you really wanted him from the start.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2017, 08:09:26 AM »
That makes me happy. You guys sounded like you really wanted him from the start.

This. Congrats. Enjoy your new pup!