Author Topic: Movie or TV titles that aren't obvious  (Read 2938 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: Movie or TV titles that aren't obvious
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2016, 01:41:59 PM »
I haven't seen it either.  But that isn't because I heard it was dumb.  I never heard any such thing.  In fact, I heard it was good, and I have always fully intended to see it.  Just never got around to it somehow.  Available time to see movies the kids can't/do not want to see is limited.  Available time for movies that fall into that category that the wife also does not want to see is even more limited.  So there you have it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2016, 02:03:51 PM »
Hmm, maybe it's because I heard it was a "found footage" movie, and I find those to be kinda dumb.  As a filmmaking/storytelling device, I guess I can see it, but it would have to be really well done for me to get past the whole premise that it's real, found footage, but I know the entire time that it's not, that it's a Hollywood production.

The only other example I can think of is The Blair Witch Project, which was reasonably interesting when people actually thought it was found footage (and thus the archetype of the genre?) but once word got out that it was in fact just a movie shot in a new way, I had no desire to see it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2016, 03:19:31 PM »
The only problem with the found footage technique is that it was done reasonably well with Blair Witch, and then became the latest Hollywood fad, and it was WAY overused.

But Cloverfield was well done with this technique, and it makes perfect sense for this particular story.

It is the film equivalent of the epistolary novel (think Dracula) - the story is told through the letters/correspondences of the main characters.  The fact that they aren't real letters has nothing to do with whether the novel is good or not. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2016, 04:50:36 PM »
back to the OP

Atticus Finch: I remember when my daddy gave me that gun. He told me that I should never point it at anything in the house; and that he'd rather I'd shoot at tin cans in the backyard. But he said that sooner or later he supposed the temptation to go after birds would be too much, and that I could shoot all the blue jays I wanted - if I could hit 'em; but to remember it was a sin to kill a mockingbird.

Jem: Why?

Atticus Finch: Well, I reckon because mockingbirds don't do anything but make music for us to enjoy. They don't eat people's gardens, don't nest in the corncrib, they don't do one thing but just sing their hearts out for us.
The line references the innocent man on trial.
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2016, 05:33:19 PM »
Ding!  Winner!   :hat

:yarr

That's why it was my Good Example.  I read the book in school, and I think we watched the movie, or maybe I just saw it later because I know I've seen the movie, too.  The title of the book/movie comes from that exchange, so it's not obvious, but it is meaningful.  I didn't actually think about movies where the title literally had nothing to do with the story, but there've been some good examples of that, too.

Offline tofee35

« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Good Will Hunting

No guns, no bows, no animals... just a smart boy and his anger

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2016, 10:42:48 AM »
Good one.  I didn't get around to that one until later, and I guess I always figured Damon's character was named Will and the title was a play on something.  I've seen it a few times now and it's so damned good that I forgot about the title and how I never did figure out what it meant.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2016, 11:51:30 AM »
Isn't his name actually 'Will Hunting' though? I guess what the 'Good' means is still a bit of a mystery, but maybe that's what you guys are saying, idk.

Fantastic movie though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2016, 11:55:13 AM »
Brazil comes to mind.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2016, 11:58:04 AM »
I go for a little tangent: Madagascar, It's a  fairly obvious name at the beginning, but it's a name that was vastly outlived by the way the franchise has gone.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline tofee35

« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2017, 05:08:52 AM »
Isn't his name actually 'Will Hunting' though? I guess what the 'Good' means is still a bit of a mystery, but maybe that's what you guys are saying, idk.

Fantastic movie though.

Exactly. Until you see the movie, you think it's a play on words. I'm not sure if his first name was in the previews. Even if it was, what is he hunting for? His name probably has some significance or theme that is way above me.