Author Topic: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - Results & Discussion Thread  (Read 8498 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Dream Theater Survivor 2017 - Results & Discussion Thread
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2017, 07:45:44 PM »
We are breezing through this! It's only been 5 weeks (ish) since the main survivor started, and we're already into Octavarium and Systematic Chaos!

The Astonishing could take a while to get through.

Yes, although I'm assuming that M's usual practice of multiple-voting for early rounds of long albums will make it go a little bit quicker than 34 days.

This is indeed the plan. The first round will allow voters to vote off 7 songs, which should help everyone vote off the NOMAC tracks, which I assume will all be the first to go anyways. Second round will have 6 votes, third to have 5 and so on and so forth. At the seventh round, it'll b e single-votes only, and single-song eliminations from there on out.

This is a practice I've done with many double-length LPs - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Snow, and Testimony.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 01:26:30 AM »
Smart move for the Nomac tracks, didn't expect however an "early carnage" of so many songs!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 12:49:02 PM »
Well, typically, I try to cast out the X-number of songs that votes are allowed, so for the first round of TA, people will vote for 7 songs, so I will eliminate the 7 songs with the most votes, unless there's a tie along the way that results in either 6 or 8 songs. In which case, if the 8th (or above) tied song yields more votes than half the number of voters, they'll be eliminated anyway.

For example, let's say the 5 NOMAC tracks all go out, but then 3 more tracks all get 21 votes, and there are 40 voters. Those three tracks, in addition to the other 5, will all go out, resulting in 8 losers in the first round. It will vary by round, of course, depending on the results, but it should help expedite the process of elimination given that the album has 34 tracks.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2017, 02:28:25 PM »
Octavarium's Final Round's Results:
The Root Of All Evil 36 (83.7%)
Octavarium 7 (16.3%)

01. Octavarium
02. The Root Of All Evil

03. Sacrificed Sons
04. These Walls
05. Panic Attack
06. Never Enough
07. The Answer Lies Within
08. I Walk Beside You

As expected, the title-track epic places first, though what's a bit unexpected, the opening track (and continuation of "Octavarium") also follows the epic to the finals! "Sacrificed Sons" gets a second chance in the Consolation Rounds.

Systematic Chaos's Final Round's Results:
The Ministry Of Lost Souls 32 (82.1%)
In The Presence Of Enemies 7 (17.9%)

01. In The Presence Of Enemies
02. The Ministry Of Lost Souls

03. Forsaken
04. Constant Motion
05. The Dark Eternal Night
06. Repentance
07. Prophets Of War

The album's two longest tracks get to move on to the Finals, as almost anyone could have predicted. What few may have predicted was how CLOSE "Forsaken" made it, but it gets to go on to the Consolation Rounds.

Those two albums certainly had some intense rounds!!! Let's see how these next two go. As a heads up, I will be on a short vacation from the 16th to the 19th, but I will try to complete the ADTOE Survivor those nights when I can update. If not, it'll get completed whenever I get back. BC&SL should finish before I leave next Thursday.

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2017, 02:16:52 PM »
Black Clouds & Silver Linings' Final Round's Results:
A Nightmare To Remember 35 (79.5%)
The Count Of Tuscany 9 (20.5%)

01. The Count Of Tuscany
02. A Nightmare To Remember

03. The Shattered Fortress
04. Wither
05. The Best Of Times
06. A Rite Of Passage

By an OVERWHELMING majority, TCOT takes the top spot while ANTR gets second, but both get to move on to the Finals, with TSF getting another chance in the Consolation Rounds. Now that the songs from the 12SS are done, it's interesting to note that "Repentance" was the only one of the five not to reach the Top 3 of it's respective album!

We'll be wrapping up ADTOE this week (hopefully I can update while I am away), then on Sunday night (or Monday morning), I will begin the rounds for The Astonishing and the B-Sides DT12!

-Marc.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 08:26:14 PM by The Letter M »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »
What about DT12?
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 03:55:57 PM »
What about DT12?

WHOOPS! Got ahead of myself. Next week I will start TA and DT12. My bad  :facepalm:

AFTER DT12 finishes, I will start the B-Sides Survivor, and then after TA finishes, The Majesty Demos Survivor. Then after ALL of that, the road to finals - Consolation Rounds will begin!!!

Then, 33 rounds of Finals to determine the ultimate DT song in this survivor!

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2017, 08:40:28 AM »
I still can't believe we're onto the latest DT albums and it's only mid-February. I know there's still a fair way to go, but I was thinking we'd be at this point in late March or early April. Handy thing with running two albums at a time, I suppose.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: February 17, 2017, 11:15:10 AM »
I still can't believe we're onto the latest DT albums and it's only mid-February. I know there's still a fair way to go, but I was thinking we'd be at this point in late March or early April. Handy thing with running two albums at a time, I suppose.

Two albums going at once and half the time to vote. This is flying by.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #44 on: February 17, 2017, 11:50:35 AM »
What about DT12?
no, let's just forget that ever happened

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2017, 11:10:55 PM »
A Dramatic Turn Of Events' Final Round's Results:
Bridges In The Sky 26 (76.5%)
Breaking All Illusions 8 (23.5%)

01. Breaking All Illusions
02. Bridges In The Sky

03. On The Backs Of Angels
04. Outcry
05. This Is The Life
06. Beneath The Surface
07. Lost Not Forgotten
08. Far From Heaven
09. Build Me Up, Break Me Down

This was a fairly predictable outcome, especially since the beginning when it seemed like both BAI and BITS would definitely go to the Finals, though I didn't expect OTBOA to make it to the Consolation over Outcry.

Whenever I get up tomorrow morning, I'll begin the first rounds for DT12 and TA (which will have a 7-vote option for every voter, so please be sure to vote for 7 tracks!).

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2017, 07:35:47 PM »
Dream Theater's Final Round's Results:
Surrender To Reason 25 (61%)
Illumination Theory 16 (39%)

01. Illumination Theory
02. Surrender To Reason

03. The Bigger Picture
04. The Enemy Inside
05. Behind The Veil
06. The Looking Glass
07. Along For The Ride
08. Enigma Machine
09. False Awakening Suite

"The Bigger Picture" goes on to the Consolation Rounds, while the epic album closer "Illumination Theory" goes to the Finals with "Surrender To Reason". Overall, I'm surprised that "The Enemy Inside" made it so high up on the list, and above "Behind The Veil" no less, but other than that, I am pretty content with this final ranking.

Now we move on to the Cleaning Out The Closet/B-Sides/Non-Album Tracks Survivor, and when that is over, The Majesty Demos! One those are done, along with The Astonishing, the Consolation Rounds will begin (sometime around the the 17th or 18th of March). IF things plan out just right, the Finals will begin at the start of April (hopefully the 1st, if not, then the 2nd or 3rd). The Finals will carry us through early May. *nudge nudge*

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2017, 01:18:35 PM »
Since a couple of the other band-survivors here are doing them, I've decided that, during the Consolation Rounds, I'll also start an Album Artwork survivor, covering the band's 13 studio albums, and perhaps I'll throw in ACOS (since it's cover art is very in-line with IAW and Awake).

During the Finals, I may do one or two more spin-off survivors. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, feel free to lob them at me here. I had thought about doing "Vocals" and "Instruments" survivors, or perhaps do a Live Album survivor (covering the 8 major live albums released officially by the band). I could also do a "Singles Survivor", pitting the 26 officially released singles from the band (according to the Dream Theater discography wiki page). That could be a fun one as I don't think I've seen a "Singles Survivor" before.

-Marc.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2017, 03:05:58 PM »
Cover artworks and live albums sound fun!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2017, 07:29:07 PM »
Cleaning Out The Closet & Other B-Sides' Final Round's Results:
A Change Of Seasons 1 (3.6%)
To Live Forever 27 (96.4%)

01. A Change Of Seasons
02. To Live Forever

03. Eve
04. Speak To Me
05. Raise The Knife
06. Don't Look Past Me
07. The Way It Used To Be
08. Cover My Eyes
09. Where Are You Now?
10. You Or Me
11. Raw Dog

The early instrumental "Eve" moves on to the Consolation Rounds while "To Live Forever" and "A Change Of Seasons" both advance to the finals!

We're wrapping up The Astonishing and starting The Majesty Demos. Since I cannot start the Consolation Rounds until BOTH of those album survivors are finished, I'll probably begin the "Album Artwork" Survivor after TA finishes (since there are only 4 more rounds for it left anyway, while TMD has 7 more rounds).

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2017, 10:00:08 AM »
The Astonishing's Final Round's Results:
Three Days 14 (43.8%)
Moment Of Betrayal 18 (56.3%)

01. Three Days
02. Moment Of Betrayal
03. A Life Left Behind
      A Tempting Offer

05. A Better Life
06. A Savior In The Square

07. Dystopian Overture
08. The Path That Divides
09. Lord Nafaryus
10. A New Beginning
11. The Gift Of Music
12. The X Aspect
13. Ravenskill
14. Heaven's Cove
15. When Your Time Has Come
16. The Walking Shadow
17. Our New World
18. Chosen
19. The Road To Revolution
20. Astonishing
21. The Answer
      Act Of Faythe
      My Last Farewell
24. Brother, Can You Hear Me?
25. Hymn Of A Thousand Voices
26. Begin Again
27. Losing Faythe
28. 2285 Entr'acte
29. Whispers On The Wind
30. Digital Discord
      Machine Chatter
32. Descent Of The Nomacs
      The Hovering Sojourn
      Power Down

As decided by voting, and by ONE VOTE, the plan to take the top 4 to the Finals wins, which means 5th and 6th place songs will advance to the Consolation Rounds, which will begin Tomorrow!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2017, 11:49:50 AM »
The Majesty Demos' Final Round's Results:
A Vision 3 (30%)
March Of The Tyrant 7 (70%)

The Majesty Demos
01. A Vision
02. March Of The Tyrant

03. Cry For Freedom
04. Another Won
05. Vital Star
06. Two Far
07. The School Song
08. Your Majesty

The album epic, "A Vision", takes the top spot, but both it and "March Of The Tyrant" move on to the Finals! "Cry For Freedom" made it to the Consolation Rounds, but was promptly eliminated in the first round. Nice try, CFF, better luck next time.

Now we move on through the rest of the Consolation Rounds, as well as the side-survivor of the Album Artwork/Covers, and whenever that ends, I may do another "for fun" survivor, perhaps one for the officially released live albums.

-Marc.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2017, 12:22:22 PM »
A live album survivor would be interesting

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
The Album Artwork's Final Round's Results:
Scenes From A Memory 14 (36.8%)
Train Of Thought 24 (63.2%)

01. Scenes From A Memory
02. Train Of Thought
03. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence
04. Octavarium
05. Awake
06. Images And Words
07. The Astonishing
08. Systematic Chaos
09. A Change Of Seasons
10. Black Clouds & Silver Linings
11. A Dramatic Turn Of Events
12. Falling Into Infinity
      Dream Theater
14. When Dream And Day Unite

Looks like SFAM takes the top spot, much to some fan's disappointment. As one voter said, perhaps the love for the music was being projected onto the album artwork. I agree with another voter's opinion when they said that artwork doesn't really appeal to me that much, at least not enough to think much of it. Certainly, IMO, SFAM doesn't really do much for me. Sure, graphically it tries to throw in a lot of ideas from the album's lyrics, but I think TOT fits the mood and feel of the album without having to be a patchwork of artistic interpretations of lyrical ideas.

Anyways, now that that survivor is over, we move on to our next "bonus survivor" in The Live Albums! It'll be a shorty, only 7 rounds as there are only 8 officially released live albums to this point. After that one runs its course, I'm open to suggestions for another DT-related survivor. Perhaps, if it isn't too controversial, maybe one of DT's members, including only members who have been a part of the band's album recordings (from WDADU onward). That would be interesting...or perhaps I can revive my pair of "DT Longest Songs" and "DT Shortest Songs" survivors, where I took the longest and shortest songs from each album and put them in a survivor. The results were quite interesting when I did those last, but that was back in 2010, before ADTOE, so there's a couple new epics to throw into that. Or perhaps I can do a "Just The Epics" Survivor? Maybe I can take the first-song-out from each album survivor and pit them against each other, to see which songs DTF thinks is the worst of the worst!

-Marc.

Offline ToT-147

• Living out this Utopian Dream
« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2017, 12:11:58 PM »
Out of those, I'd be interested in the DT's member survivor..
UTÓPICA 'Symphonic Progressive Metal' band - First album's now out
iTunes goo.gl/z5kl9d Amazon goo.gl/bWTwMF
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRKNqEH1rxo (Videoclip from Second album)

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #55 on: March 29, 2017, 01:20:48 AM »
An eventual "longest songs" survivor for me shouldn't have just the longest song of each album, it should start from a time limit, 12 or 15 minutes songs for example. This would penalize The Astonishing, but it would be even weirder to have a longest songs survivor with The Count of Tuscany in but not A Nightmare to Remember which is longer than Learning to Live for example.

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 29, 2017, 07:05:32 AM »
Out of those, I'd be interested in the DT's member survivor..

Agreed.

An eventual "longest songs" survivor for me shouldn't have just the longest song of each album, it should start from a time limit, 12 or 15 minutes songs for example. This would penalize The Astonishing, but it would be even weirder to have a longest songs survivor with The Count of Tuscany in but not A Nightmare to Remember which is longer than Learning to Live for example.

I'm not a fan of this in principle... as the main survivor is more than enough for the "long" songs.... but I do prefer your way over the way proposed for sure.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

The longest song survivor would be kind of pointless considering the two songs that have the best shot at winning are also the two favorites to win the regular survivor as well.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 11:34:45 AM »
Didn't think of that, most likely you're right.

Another whacky idea for a spinoff: the battle of the parts, or movements... having compete by name all the sections of A Change of Seasons, Six Degrees, Octavarium and In the Presence of Enemies. Throw in the 12 steps separated for a major mess  :lol

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 12:03:17 PM »

Another whacky idea for a spinoff: the battle of the parts, or movements... having compete by name all the sections of A Change of Seasons, Six Degrees, Octavarium and In the Presence of Enemies. Throw in the 12 steps separated for a major mess  :lol

This was done a while ago (possibly even by our current host; I can't remember).

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 01:43:01 PM »

This was done a while ago (possibly even by our current host; I can't remember).

I have indeed run DT Movements Survivors, for every song that has had 3 or more individually named movements, but this was before ADTOE, so there'd be 2 new songs to add to the mix!

-Marc.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2017, 01:06:18 AM »
Consolation's Final Round's Results:
Take The Time 14 (38.9%)
Fatal Tragedy 22 (61.1%)

01. Take The Time
02. Fatal Tragedy

03. Voices
04. The Great Debate
05. Peruvian Skies
06. Sacrificed Sons
07. On The Backs Of Angels
08. The Bigger Picture
09. Forsaken
10. The Shattered Fortress
11. A Savior In The Square
12. A Better Life
13. This Dying Soul
14. Eve
15. The Ytse Jam
16. Cry For Freedom

Nearly 2-to-1, FT places second behind TTT, but both move on to the finals! Not too surprisingly so, considering IAW and SFAM are two of the band's most well-known and renowned albums, but hardcore and casual fans alike.

As you all know, the Finals have now begun, and over the next month, we'll chop away our majority-voted least favorite songs until we determine the top song!

Until then, I'd like to run a couple more fun survivors, so I'll take another day to think about which to do next, or see if there are any other suggestions posted here before I start one! If I do the "Movements" survivor again, it'd be the Twelve-Step Suite (all 12 movements), as well as the 8 songs with movements (ACOS, TKH, TOT, SDOIT, 8VM, ITPOE, FAS, and IT), then a Finals consisting of the Top Movement from each of those 9 sets facing off against each other. If this sounds interesting, then please let me know here and I'll start that one up! It'll run just as long, if not a bit longer than the actual Finals themselves, so it would carry us all the way through early May.

-Marc.

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »
I was hoping to find the Finals results from the last completed DT Survivor (2011-12, I believe), in order to compare the results from that one to this one, 6 years later. Alas, I could not. All I remember is that Learning to Live was the champion of that survivor, and it's finished 4th this year.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2017, 01:38:11 PM »
I was hoping to find the Finals results from the last completed DT Survivor (2011-12, I believe), in order to compare the results from that one to this one, 6 years later. Alas, I could not. All I remember is that Learning to Live was the champion of that survivor, and it's finished 4th this year.

I think pre-2012, a lot of threads were deleted, so unless the survivor-runner kept that information handy in a text file or email somewhere, it's probably lost data.

-Marc.

Offline krands85

« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2017, 03:23:26 PM »
I found this page, with results (well, top 25) from 2005-2010:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=3364.0

I'm not sure if 2011 and 2012 actually got completed.
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline RoeDent

« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2017, 12:32:06 AM »
I found this page, with results (well, top 25) from 2005-2010:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=3364.0

I'm not sure if 2011 and 2012 actually got completed.

Hmm...the 2010 one has Learning to Live as the champion, so that might have been the last one completed. Looking at the latter pages of threads for P&S, I can see that the 2012 Survivor was unfinished, and the League took over that December for its 2013 edition. I'm going to assume that 2010 was the last one then, and compare from there. Thanks for finding this!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2017, 10:06:49 PM »
The Finals' Final Round's Results:
Octavarium 25 (49%)
A Change Of Seasons 26 (51%)

By just one vote, ACOS loses to 8VM, so the latter-released epic takes the top spot, but both were very worthy contenders for the gold!

Regardless of whatever has been going on with certain fun-hating, attention-seeking, no-life-having users with multiple accounts, this was a fun survivor to run and I'm glad it generated so much participation and discussion! Thanks to everyone who stuck through it with their best and honest intentions and efforts throughout! I applaud you all for being able to get through this massive survivor with me!

I hope to do this again some day if there is a decent amount of people willing to play along again!

-Marc.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2017, 12:05:24 AM »
The Finals' Final Round's Results:
Octavarium 25 (49%)
A Change Of Seasons 26 (51%)

By just one vote, ACOS loses to 8VM, so the latter-released epic takes the top spot, but both were very worthy contenders for the gold!

Regardless of whatever has been going on with certain fun-hating, attention-seeking, no-life-having users with multiple accounts, this was a fun survivor to run and I'm glad it generated so much participation and discussion! Thanks to everyone who stuck through it with their best and honest intentions and efforts throughout! I applaud you all for being able to get through this massive survivor with me!

I hope to do this again some day if there is a decent amount of people willing to play along again!

-Marc.

Thank you for running this. It was a blast to participate in.

And FWIW, Octavarium had a stranglehold on the League for years and was going to place in a high spot anyway. It's not like Raw Dog won. It sucks that one person tried to ruin this, but at least a fan favorite took the gold.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #68 on: May 11, 2017, 01:07:08 AM »
I see it as basically a tie anyway between two of DT's biggest epics, thanks M for running this!  :metal