Author Topic: The post funny stuff thread v.graham's number  (Read 258693 times)

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
Re: The post funny stuff thread v.graham's number
« Reply #1155 on: February 15, 2018, 07:05:02 AM »

As an Australian, I can't figure out how Americans think that joke is supposed to work. :dunno:

To some Americans, "day" sounds like "die" when spoken with an Australian accent.

Did you come here today?
Nah Mate, came 'ere yesterday

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1156 on: February 15, 2018, 07:23:31 AM »
To some Americans, "day" sounds like "die" when spoken with an Australian accent.

Did you come here today?
Nah Mate, came 'ere yesterday

I get the joke (at least what it's supposed to be), it just doesn't work imo, because the way we say "day" sounds nothing like "die" in a US accent. :dunno:

But anyway, sorry to put a damper on the funnies.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1157 on: February 15, 2018, 09:50:15 AM »
Sorry, I thought you said you couldn't figure out how the joke was supposed to work.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: February 15, 2018, 09:54:10 AM »
I meant don't get it phonetically, not as in I don't get jokes. :tup But thanks for the clarification anyway. I'm sure we've all seen jokes in this thread we didn't get until it was explained.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1159 on: February 15, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »
Since you're a native speaker, the accent thing doesn't work; you won't hear it.  But as an American, I said it out loud and immediately heard the cliché Aussie accent, and chuckled.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1160 on: February 15, 2018, 10:20:19 AM »
But I know very well what an American accent sounds like, and I know very well what an Australian accent sounds like.
Maybe the difference is that I'm only familiar with real Australian accents, not the apparent "cliche" you've been exposed to, wherever that's from. :dunno:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1161 on: February 15, 2018, 10:27:45 AM »
You don't have Outback Steak House commercials in Australia?  ???
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1162 on: February 15, 2018, 10:29:25 AM »

That reminds me. Apparently there's some kind of strange onion thing they have there they pass off as Australian? I saw someone joke about it being on our country's flag the other day and had no idea wtf it was. :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1163 on: February 15, 2018, 10:31:29 AM »
But I know very well what an American accent sounds like, and I know very well what an Australian accent sounds like.

And that's why you don't hear it.  Your brain "corrects" what it hears automatically.  To us, "day" and "die" do in fact sound very similar.  But you know that they're completely different words and thus hear them differently.

Also, there's no such thing as an "American accent."  This country is large enough that there are countless regional accents.  Folks from one part of the country always think folks from another part of the country speak differently.  As I understand it, the closest thing to a "neutral" American accent is the Midwest dialect.  Very bland, practically boring, without many distinctive vowel affectations which characterize Southern, or New England, or even West Coast.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1164 on: February 15, 2018, 10:35:26 AM »
Also, there's no such thing as an "American accent."  This country is large enough that there are countless regional accents.  Folks from one part of the country always think folks from another part of the country speak differently.  As I understand it, the closest thing to a "neutral" American accent is the Midwest dialect.  Very bland, practically boring, without many distinctive vowel affectations which characterize Southern, or New England, or even West Coast.

I know, and I did originally write "accents" but figured it was unnecessary. We know them all. I probably know your accents better than ours actually. Apparently we have regional accents, but I've never heard or noticed any difference. But we don't get a lot of stuff from around the country like you do with the US, so maybe there's some bumfuck Australian accent that actually does work for this joke that I'm unaware of. That would be somewhat ironic.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1165 on: February 15, 2018, 10:40:39 AM »

I know, and I did originally write "accents" but figured it was unnecessary. We know them all. I probably know your accents better than ours actually. Apparently we have regional accents, but I've never heard or noticed any difference. But we don't get a lot of stuff from around the country like you do with the US, so maybe there's some bumfuck Australian accent that actually does work for this joke that I'm unaware of. That would be somewhat ironic.

I picture Blob talking like R2D2.  It's more fun that way.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1166 on: February 15, 2018, 11:23:40 AM »

That reminds me. Apparently there's some kind of strange onion thing they have there they pass off as Australian? I saw someone joke about it being on our country's flag the other day and had no idea wtf it was. :lol
I don't think any of their stuff is being passed off as Australian. Much like Chuck E Cheese isn't trying to pass of their pizza as being made from or inspired by rats. They're just theme restaurants. And while I've never actually been inside an Outback Steakhouse, the giant fried onion is a pretty tasty thing. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1167 on: February 15, 2018, 11:26:31 AM »

And that's why you don't hear it.  Your brain "corrects" what it hears automatically.  To us, "day" and "die" do in fact sound very similar.  But you know that they're completely different words and thus hear them differently.

I'm very familiar with the southern accent in general - my uncle and his family have lived in Savannah, GA for decades - but when I moved to Atlanta, I had to do a fair amount of work in south Atlanta.  I was a project manager doing work for the City of Atlanta, and had to meet with my client rep weekly.  I am not exaggerating one bit when I say that I needed my site manager (he was from Buffalo, but had relocated to the south about 10 years before I did) to act as a translator.  The  client rep (an awesome, and very smart, African American man) spoke rather softly with a very southern accent, and used a lot of deep south cultural references in his speech, and as such, to me was virtually incomprehensible.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1168 on: February 15, 2018, 11:27:50 AM »

I don't think any of their stuff is being passed off as Australian. Much like Chuck E Cheese isn't trying to pass of their pizza as being made from or inspired by rats. They're just theme restaurants. And while I've never actually been inside an Outback Steakhouse, the giant fried onion is a pretty tasty thing.

If I lived in the Dallas area, I wouldn't set foot in an Outback either.   It's not bad, in fact it's pretty good, but a dedicated "steakhouse" kills it on every level (especially when you factor in the cost).    Outback ain't cheap up here.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1169 on: February 15, 2018, 11:34:03 AM »
Maybe the difference is that I'm only familiar with real Australian accents, not the apparent "cliche" you've been exposed to, wherever that's from. :dunno:

And I have never uttered the word aboot.   ;D

I can understand - and have personally heard - how a heavy stereotypical Aussie accent would be applicable in the case of this meme.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1170 on: February 15, 2018, 11:35:53 AM »

You're right. You actually say "abote". :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1171 on: February 15, 2018, 11:55:00 AM »
Ask jingle about him mocking my Boston accent. He's a hoser.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline pg1067

« Reply #1172 on: February 15, 2018, 12:04:30 PM »
Chuck E Cheese isn't trying to pass of their pizza as being made from or inspired by rats.

I'm not so sure about that....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1173 on: February 15, 2018, 12:30:28 PM »
I'm wicked ahsum!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1174 on: February 15, 2018, 12:37:02 PM »
I'm wicked ahsum!

:lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1175 on: February 15, 2018, 01:12:41 PM »

You're right. You actually say "abote". :biggrin:
I think it's actually "abo-ute." There's a pronunciation of both vowels in the word that just happens very quickly. At least that's how it was explained to me.

A few years ago we went to see the great Rik Emmett. Telling one of his stories he said 'aboot' and brought the house down. He stopped in the middle of a sentence for a couple of seconds, bewildered at what was so funny before it clicked. He laughed about it and threw out a "well excuse the fuck out of me, Y'ALL!" and went on with his story. Down here it sticks out like a sore thumb. No way to not hear it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1176 on: February 15, 2018, 01:30:26 PM »
At least we're making progress - pronounced "proe-gress" - in this thread. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1177 on: February 15, 2018, 01:38:59 PM »
Pro-gress actually makes perfect sense. I give that point to the Brits.
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1178 on: February 15, 2018, 02:01:00 PM »
*Takes point*
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1179 on: February 15, 2018, 02:08:49 PM »
Also, why are you b****rds discussing linguistics when I made a perfectly terrible pun on the previous page that has gone ignored?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1180 on: February 15, 2018, 03:03:05 PM »
I, for one, felt it stood on its own merits. :)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #1181 on: February 15, 2018, 07:14:40 PM »
Priorities

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1182 on: February 15, 2018, 07:31:24 PM »
Eh, I'd probably have been looking at the girl behind her for my part.
E.F. Benson

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1183 on: February 15, 2018, 08:00:49 PM »
Also, why are you b****rds discussing linguistics when I made a perfectly terrible pun on the previous page that has gone ignored?

dON'T h**kin swaer
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: February 16, 2018, 02:30:04 AM »

Carol!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1185 on: February 16, 2018, 02:34:25 AM »
Carol wanted to spice things up in the bedroom. Now she can't even see the bedroom. Always wear safety goggles.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1186 on: February 16, 2018, 03:40:38 AM »
 :lol

Dammit Carol.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #1187 on: February 16, 2018, 03:57:49 AM »
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: February 16, 2018, 07:53:23 AM »
Friggin' Carol, man.  Women. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: February 17, 2018, 10:46:46 AM »
Someone attached bird food to a keyboard and connected it to a twitter account.  The posts were predictable