Author Topic: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice  (Read 860 times)

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Member
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
Re: Official 2017-2018 NHL Thread v. Break the Ice
« Reply #70 on: September 08, 2017, 09:37:14 AM »
Does the Athletic have a fantasy sports slant to it, or is it just purely reporting on stories? I'm a junkie for fantasy hockey and always looking for websites/products that can give me a leg up on the competition  :lol

I have not seen any fantasy talk.  I can't imagine they won't eventually have it though given it's popularity.

IDK, there's so much free content everywhere that I'm hard pressed to pay for any subscription. I would need a whole lot more than written articles to justify that cost, even just $40 on the year.

Totally understood. The thought is the entities that offer the free content out there now are not making money and will eventually have to charge. These companies like the Athletic are hiring the best writers now to build their base and when the other entities try to play catch up they'll have a hard time doing so.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2017, 11:27:34 AM »
IDK, there's so much free content everywhere that I'm hard pressed to pay for any subscription. I would need a whole lot more than written articles to justify that cost, even just $40 on the year.

The Pittsburgh one I linked above is $29.99 a year and does written content, video content, podcasts, radio content, social, etc... They do a ton. But the main difference is who they have doing those things, a number of excellent reporters who previously worked in traditional media in and around Pittsburgh work there now and frankly, their coverage is simply better.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2017, 11:59:13 AM »
The Pittsburgh one I linked above is $29.99 a year and does written content, video content, podcasts, radio content, social, etc... They do a ton. But the main difference is who they have doing those things, a number of excellent reporters who previously worked in traditional media in and around Pittsburgh work there now and frankly, their coverage is simply better.

that's the gist of the moment I think. Hire the cream of the crop talent and allow them to write/produce stories other than boring game summaries and regurgitated cliche' after game interviews. The average joe may not subscribe but those of us out there that want a bit more meat and potatoes will cough up the drop in the bucket $30-$40 for it. As I said, I've only had 'The Athletic' for a week and I already consider it $40 well spent.

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2017, 12:23:03 PM »
Haha, so I go to The Athletic website to check it out, and the very first article is an Oilers piece from my absolute least favourite hockey writer. No thanks, for now.

Offline SchecterShredder

« Reply #74 on: September 08, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
Also, I'm wondering how their business model works since Willis is still writing for several other, free, outlets. I'm assuming they have to submit some exclusive content to The Athletic, otherwise this makes no sense.

Offline Jarlaxle

« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2017, 01:56:51 PM »
As I understand it, the companies that are releasing their content for free are no longer making money, or at least enough of it, so by gathering all the best writers and putting them behind a paywall they are just setting themselves to be WAY ahead of their competitors when they choose/Are forced to do the same.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
As I understand it, the companies that are releasing their content for free are no longer making money, or at least enough of it, so by gathering all the best writers and putting them behind a paywall they are just setting themselves to be WAY ahead of their competitors when they choose/Are forced to do the same.

That's exactly it. And the freedom these writers are going to get to write stories with more content and meat on the bone is going to blow the boring game summary and standard post game interview dribble out of the water. This may not excite an average fan but as for me, I'll gladly sacrifice the same ol same ol story/reportage for more in depth/behind the scenes type reporting.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2017, 02:17:14 PM »

That's exactly it. And the freedom these writers are going to get to write stories with more content and meat on the bone is going to blow the boring game summary and standard post game interview dribble out of the water. This may not excite an average fan but as for me, I'll gladly sacrifice the same ol same ol story/reportage for more in depth/behind the scenes type reporting.

Yup, it's the opportunity for the reporters to be almost entrepreneurial. Not all will like that, but a lot will.

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2017, 02:24:37 PM »

Yup, it's the opportunity for the reporters to be almost entrepreneurial. Not all will like that, but a lot will.

I can tell you that my buddy who has joined is pumped that he can now spend three or four days putting together an in depth story rather than churning and burning game summary's (that in his words no one reads) for midnight deadlines and finding different ways to write the same old interview questions.

Like you said...not everyone will want to pay for content like that and that's fine. But I think a lot will AND the eventuality is you're going to end up paying for content anyway one way or the other. I look at it as an investment at this point.