Author Topic: Yes finally Inducted into the Rock HOF (+ELO, Journey, PJ)  (Read 3916 times)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Yes finally Inducted into the Rock HOF (+ELO, Journey, PJ)
« Reply #35 on: December 21, 2016, 02:33:15 PM »
They have no credibility until Winger gets in.

Yes.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: December 21, 2016, 02:56:41 PM »
The Jackson 5 were huge for a while.  Many albums plus their own TV show, then later another one.  Doesn't surprise me at all.
Yeah, I know they they were huge, I just wouldn't have pegged them as 100 million albums huge.

Thus my hint.  Everyone has heard of the Jackson 5.   But I'll bet you don't know anybody that has one of their albums.   

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2016, 03:43:48 PM »
I want you back......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2016, 04:06:18 PM »
So. We've got Rush, Genesis, Pink Floyd and Yes into the RRHoF. Who does the prog community start campaigning for next? ELP, maybe? A lot like BBC Sports Personality of the Year, as soon as the nominees come out, people start moaning that so-and-so is not there, and whatzername is not there and you-know-who is not there.

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2016, 04:34:22 PM »
like I posted earlier, Jethro Tull probably makes the most sense. They had some classic rock standards, won a grammy, were not looked down upon as much as ELP by critics. Although the flute while made them distinct, was an easy thing for some to laugh at.

I just think compared to the others,  Tull seems to be the most well known.

ELP
King Crimson
Kansas
The Moody Blues
Procol Harum
Gentle Giant

even loosely:
Supertramp
Styx
Todd Rundgren/Utopia

But the fervor and passion for even Tull or ELP, I doubt will carry the same level that Yes and Rush did.

In my household, it has been and will be even more now with Yes in, all about The Monkees, given my wife is a long time/lifelong addict.
I wonder if Weezer somehow gets in, if Rivers Cuomo may go to bat for them, although Michael Stipe might have as well, as he's noted as being a big fan, but I'm not sure that's really something he would do or would have done when REM got in however many years ago.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2016, 06:57:43 PM »
The Moody Blues should be the next prog band to make it:

-they were doing prog stuff before King Crimson even thought of becoming a band
-they even influenced the Beatles back in the 60s! Strawberry Fields Forever never exists as it is if Mike Pinder hadn't shown John Lennon what a mellotron was and how it worked.
-they were similar to Yes and Genesis in that they managed to transition from being a prog-influenced rock band to a pop rock success in the 80s.

I won't hold my breath, though.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2016, 07:30:22 PM »
The Jackson 5 were huge for a while.  Many albums plus their own TV show, then later another one.  Doesn't surprise me at all.
Yeah, I know they they were huge, I just wouldn't have pegged them as 100 million albums huge.

MJ/Jackson Five was my first thought, but upon searching I couldn't find any provable claim of them selling that many albums. I know they sold a lot either way, and everyone knows the hits.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #42 on: December 21, 2016, 07:57:01 PM »

Thus my hint.  Everyone has heard of the Jackson 5.   But I'll bet you don't know anybody that has one of their albums.   

I don't have one.  I have more than one.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #43 on: December 21, 2016, 08:00:11 PM »
OK, anyone under the age of 60? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #44 on: December 21, 2016, 09:21:14 PM »
Yeah yeah

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2016, 06:50:08 AM »
You know how on forums, "in my opinion" is often implied?   On this forum, "except for Orbert" is often implied. 

:)

(I say that with great respect and affection.)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2016, 06:51:50 AM »
Not knowing who gets eligible next year for the first time, I think the five most deserving now are:

- King Crimson
- The Cars
- Duran Duran
- Bon Jovi
- The Smiths (even though I hate them)
- Iron Maiden
- Judas Priest

Oasis is up there as well.    Maybe the Cure.  Maybe Soundgarden.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2016, 07:28:28 AM »
Not knowing who gets eligible next year for the first time, I think the five most deserving now are:

- King Crimson
- The Cars
- Duran Duran
- Bon Jovi
- Iron Maiden
- Judas Priest

I think that Maiden, Priest, and Oasis are real longshots, TBH.  I see King Crimson making it before them.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2016, 08:49:55 AM »
A band like Oasis, I can't figure.  They have cred.  Noel's an outspoken dick.  They're kind of English royalty from that late '90's Brit pop scene (along with Blur).   They sold a bazillion records.   All of those could go either way with the voting crowd.   

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #49 on: December 22, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

- King Crimson
- The Cars
- Duran Duran
- Bon Jovi
- Iron Maiden
- Judas Priest

here's a list of many of the Eligibility years for new artists
https://www.futurerocklegends.com/future_eligibles.php

2017 (2018 Ceremony) specifically
https://www.futurerocklegends.com/year.php?eligible_year=2017

Radiohead in all likelihood will be a lock next year. The others like Beck and Rage Against the Machine probably will get in eventually, but maybe not next year.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: December 22, 2016, 11:29:28 AM »
Oh, fuck me.  None of my list are going to get in knowing that.   

Radiohead, Beck and RATM are all decent odds on first ballot induction.   And I can't stand any of them.   

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #51 on: December 22, 2016, 11:33:23 AM »
You know how on forums, "in my opinion" is often implied?   On this forum, "except for Orbert" is often implied. 

Thanks. :)  I grew up hating myself because I was different from everyone else (and getting beaten up a few times didn't help), but now I don't give a fuck.  In fact, I've pretty much turned it around.  It's practically my mission to present the other side of things, be the exception that people never think of, and expose people to new ideas and new shit that they never would have otherwise dealt with.  I even tried to turn you on to some jazz in The Ask Stadler Thread, but you didn't follow up.  I cried for days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2016, 12:27:31 PM »
A band like Oasis, I can't figure.  They have cred.  Noel's an outspoken dick.  They're kind of English royalty from that late '90's Brit pop scene (along with Blur).   They sold a bazillion records.   All of those could go either way with the voting crowd.
I never saw them as doing anything to separate themselves or break new ground.  They came off as Beatles wannabes with two dicks in the band instead of John and Paul.

I dunno, I don't see them as doing anything that gives them any real standing to get in.  But what do I know?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2016, 01:32:12 PM »
And Oasis had hardly any significant success in America. (I know it could be classed as an international institution, but generally the bands in the RRHoF have had success in America.)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 02:02:23 PM »
And Oasis had hardly any significant success in America. (I know it could be classed as an international institution, but generally the bands in the RRHoF have had success in America.)
That's true, as well.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 07:38:51 AM »

Thanks. :)  I grew up hating myself because I was different from everyone else (and getting beaten up a few times didn't help), but now I don't give a fuck.  In fact, I've pretty much turned it around.  It's practically my mission to present the other side of things, be the exception that people never think of, and expose people to new ideas and new shit that they never would have otherwise dealt with.  I even tried to turn you on to some jazz in The Ask Stadler Thread, but you didn't follow up.  I cried for days.

Haha, I'm sorry.  I'm actually all in on good suggestions.  I'll revisit that for you.  :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2016, 07:44:12 AM »
I never saw them as doing anything to separate themselves or break new ground.  They came off as Beatles wannabes with two dicks in the band instead of John and Paul.

John and Paul were basically dicks too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2016, 08:44:36 AM »

Haha, I'm sorry.  I'm actually all in on good suggestions.  I'll revisit that for you.  :)

Awesome.  I feel better now.   :hat

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: December 23, 2016, 11:15:26 AM »

John and Paul were basically dicks too.
Not in public.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #59 on: December 23, 2016, 06:34:53 PM »
That's true, as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude