Author Topic: Yes finally Inducted into the Rock HOF (+ELO, Journey, PJ)  (Read 3920 times)

Offline SoundscapeMN

Yes finally Inducted into the Rock HOF (+ELO, Journey, PJ)
« on: December 20, 2016, 08:19:57 AM »
https://ultimateclassicrock.com/journey-yes-electric-light-orchestra-pearl-jam-hall-of-fame/

Well for those who do care, and it sucks that it's a couple of years after Chris Squire's death, but maybe better late than never.

It will be interesting to see who shows up for this. From memory, they listed who would be inducted for each nominated artist and in the case of Yes the Union lineup is who is getting inducted.

https://www.rockhall.com/nominee/yes

Jon Anderson
Bill Bruford
Rick Wakeman
Steve Howe
Chris Squire
Alan White
Trevor Rabin
Tony Kaye

So no love for Peter Banks, Geoff Downes nor Patrick Moraz, but o well, maybe they and other members will show up.

Who will induct them? it would be nice if Portnoy or Steven Wilson (or Jack Black even) were given that responsibility. Or perhaps people like Geddy Lee or Phil Collins who are fans and were noted being influenced by Yes, and are both in the Rock Hall already.

But it'll probably be like Taylor Hawkins or something since him and Dave Grohl already inducted Rush, plus the fact he knows and helped Jon Davison get the gig with Yes.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Re: Yes finally Inducted into the Rock HOF (+ELO, Journey, PJ)
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 08:27:15 AM »
Pearl Jam and Tupac get into the RNR HOF the same year as Journey? smh

(nothing against PJ, they deserve it, but some of these other bands are so far overdue)
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 09:01:21 AM »
Pearl Jam do deserve it in the general sense, but the idea that the liberal, Rolling Stone favorites (U2, REM, Pearl Jam) all get in on the first ballot is kind of part of the problem.  I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, but still.  As much as I like ELO, even they are sort of riding on the coattails of Jeff Lynne being a buddy of already-in hipster favorites like Tom Petty. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 09:05:06 AM »
Yup. No offense to any ELO fans, but they have no business being in there. But as you say, it's the Rolling Stone Music HOF anyway. Which blows.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 09:08:57 AM »
They have no credibility until Winger gets in.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 09:09:20 AM »

QFT

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 09:09:47 AM »

You mean they're not in already?

:neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 09:14:18 AM »

Should've beaten Blondie in 2006 :neverusethis:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »

Especially if factoring in physical attractiveness.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 09:29:10 AM »

The Ramones are so handsome.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 09:58:46 AM »

The Ramones are so handsome.

Wha?  Kip Winger is a god.  :)

That's as legit a reason for putting someone in as what got Patti Smith, Laura Nyro, and Anthony Keidis in.  ;)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2016, 10:04:16 AM »
Stadler, not you too??

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »
At least prog bands are finally getting in.

Now we need The Cars and Toto to get in there.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »
Great to finally see Yes and Journey get in, both long overdue. In a perfect world, Dream Theater would get in there before Pearl Jam.
 Iron Maiden should be on this list (no brainer). 
 BOSTON is more than worthy too.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2016, 08:17:15 PM »
At least prog bands are finally getting in.

Now we need The Cars and Toto to get in there.

Every time one classic band gets in there, I'm reminded of yet another that isn't in there yet. :facepalm:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2016, 08:34:36 PM »
I am fine with those being the only eight members of Yes to make it.  You have the lineups from Fragile and 90125, which are probably their two most popular mainstream albums.  Nothing from the last several decades has made a dent in the mainstream, so anyone in the band on those albums who wasn't on those two classic albums isn't worthy of being inducted; Banks was in the band before they hit it big; and Downes, Horn and Moraz only performed on one album back in the day (prior to the messes of the last decade).

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2016, 08:43:33 PM »
Tupac aside this is probably the most normal induction group in awhile. I'll agree that ELO is questionable but whatever.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2016, 07:09:04 AM »
Great to finally see Yes and Journey get in, both long overdue. In a perfect world, Dream Theater would get in there before Pearl Jam.
 Iron Maiden should be on this list (no brainer). 
 BOSTON is more than worthy too.

No, as much as I love them (and I do) I don't see Dream Theater as a viable candidate for this.  There are literally 15 bands I would see before them (including Pearl Jam).   My only beef with Pearl Jam is the "first ballot" nonsense.  There's a small pack of bands that are RS darlings that are givens.  I predicted PJ on the first ballot almost two years ago.  But we need to rectify the following first:

- King Crimson (Love or hate prog, they started it all, and should be there; that Patti Smith is in and Robert Fripp is not is a travesty)
- The Cars
- Duran Duran
- Toto
- Bon Jovi
- UFO
- The Smiths (even though I hate them)
- Oasis
- Iron Maiden
- Judas Priest
- Ronnie Dio (I was thinking about that yesterday; I don't know how he gets in.  His solo career doesn't warrant, he missed the boat with Sabbath, wrongly.  Rainbow maybe?   But that means Joe Lynn Turner gets in, hahahahaha!)

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2016, 08:11:00 AM »
From a commercial standpoint, Jethro Tull seems like the next progressive rock band to get in.

The Moody Blues like The Monkees, lack momentum. If something came up to raise their visibility (sadly, a member dying might be the only way, but that didn't seem to help The Monkees even when Davy Jones died, and we'll see if 2/3 of ELP dying makes any difference over the next year or 2).

Sure, King Crimson would warrant it given both Critics and even Hipsters praise them, but even if they get on the ballot, the majority of the voters (not the fans necessarily) have never heard of them or heard 1 of their songs sans for maybe through a movie (Buffalo'66 or Children of Men) or Kanye West's sampling of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

On Dio, he didn't get in with Sabbath? I suppose he could get in as a pick for "Musical Excellence" like Nile Rodgers just did.

Maiden, Motorhead and Priest seem to be Metal bands who are long overdue. I imagine Megadeth would soon follow.

Offline emtee

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2016, 08:17:21 AM »
This year has meaning for me. Both Yes and Journey contain soundtracks of my life. I see Schon has reached out to Perry and I hope
with all my heart they Perry responds and shows up. I also hope that Jon is there with Yes. These things need to happen or it doesn't
hold the necessary meaningfulness for me.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2016, 08:42:16 AM »
From a commercial standpoint, Jethro Tull seems like the next progressive rock band to get in.

The Moody Blues like The Monkees, lack momentum. If something came up to raise their visibility (sadly, a member dying might be the only way, but that didn't seem to help The Monkees even when Davy Jones died, and we'll see if 2/3 of ELP dying makes any difference over the next year or 2).

Sure, King Crimson would warrant it given both Critics and even Hipsters praise them, but even if they get on the ballot, the majority of the voters (not the fans necessarily) have never heard of them or heard 1 of their songs sans for maybe through a movie (Buffalo'66 or Children of Men) or Kanye West's sampling of 21st Century Schizoid Man.

On Dio, he didn't get in with Sabbath? I suppose he could get in as a pick for "Musical Excellence" like Nile Rodgers just did.

Maiden, Motorhead and Priest seem to be Metal bands who are long overdue. I imagine Megadeth would soon follow.

This is a great, insightful post.  I think you're spot on with all of it, but I would quibble slightly with two things:  I think Crimson will have more support than you think.  Fripp has legs, having done the prog thing, but also having a lot of input with RaRHoF darlings Eno, Bowie and Gabriel, as well as Daryl Hall.   The other is Megadeth.  I know they're "Big Four", but honestly, I just don't see them being anything other than a second-tier, derivative band.  You've got my list, but when you add The Shangri-Las, Tull (nice call), The Cure, Depeche Mode, Janet Jackson, Soundgarden, Richard Marx, etc. I don't see Megadeth getting in anytime soon. 

Plus all the bands that will become eligible over the next couple years.   You've got to assume that Foo Fighters are first ballot, for example.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2016, 09:09:14 AM »
DUH! 

Dire Straits
Phil Collins (solo; one of only three artists to sell 100 million records as a member of a group and as a solo guy)
Sting

Can anyone name the other two artists to sell 100 million as a band member and as a solo artist?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 09:27:34 AM »
Paul McCartney and John Lennon?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 10:05:25 AM »
McCartney, not Lennon.  One down, one to go.   I'll give this hint: you don't think of him as a member of a group - even though the group is a household name - and even if you do, I think you might be surprised that that group sold 100 million records, despite being a household name. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Rod Stewart?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
Nice guess, but no.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 10:22:00 AM »
Lionel Richie? MJ?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2016, 10:23:07 AM »
Kip Winger?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2016, 10:59:39 AM »
Yup. No offense to any ELO fans, but they have no business being in there. But as you say, it's the Rolling Stone Music HOF anyway. Which blows.

Can't agree there.  ELO's stated goal was to continue the legacy of The Beatles, whom Jeff Lynne worships, and the early ELO albums are amazing, weird, proggy stuff.  ELO brought a full-time string section to Rock and Roll the same way Chicago brought horns.  I give them props for doing something different and doing it well.  Don't write them off because of the schlocky pop dreck they got into later.

I am fine with those being the only eight members of Yes to make it.  You have the lineups from Fragile and 90125, which are probably their two most popular mainstream albums.  Nothing from the last several decades has made a dent in the mainstream, so anyone in the band on those albums who wasn't on those two classic albums isn't worthy of being inducted; Banks was in the band before they hit it big; and Downes, Horn and Moraz only performed on one album back in the day (prior to the messes of the last decade).

Downes is a current member of the band and has been on three albums now.  Horn only sang lead on the one album, but produced and wrote parts of 90125, which is unquestionably responsible for Yes' comeback in the 80's.  He also produced and co-wrote much of Fly From Here, which wasn't nearly as big, but is largely credited for keeping the band alive and still going these days.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2016, 11:07:47 AM »
McCartney, not Lennon.  One down, one to go.   I'll give this hint: you don't think of him as a member of a group - even though the group is a household name - and even if you do, I think you might be surprised that that group sold 100 million records, despite being a household name.
Peter Gabriel?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2016, 11:14:02 AM »
Michael Jackson ?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2016, 11:25:41 AM »
Michael Jackson ?

BOOM.  Well done, friend.   Nice.

McCartney, Jackson, Collins.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2016, 12:36:45 PM »
I didn't realize that the Jackson 5 sold that many albums.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2016, 02:11:32 PM »
The Jackson 5 were huge for a while.  Many albums plus their own TV show, then later another one.  Doesn't surprise me at all.

Useless but fun story:  One of my co-workers saw Michael Jackson before the Jackson 5 even existed.  He's from Gary, Indiana, and his friends' band in high school included Tito and Jermaine Jackson (the two who "could really play").  The band played at one of their dances.  At one point, he wasn't paying a whole lot of attention but it sounded like a girl singing (this is how he told me the story) and he looked and the Jacksons had brought their little brother Michael up to sing a couple of songs.  The band eventually broke up when the two Jacksons left to form The Jackson 5.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2016, 02:28:17 PM »
The Jackson 5 were huge for a while.  Many albums plus their own TV show, then later another one.  Doesn't surprise me at all.
Yeah, I know they they were huge, I just wouldn't have pegged them as 100 million albums huge.