Author Topic: Christmas songs that suck  (Read 2871 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Re: Christmas songs that suck
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2016, 09:10:03 AM »
Yeah, Hallelujah isn't a Christmas song but now that Pentatonix covered it, I've heard it a LOT this Christmas season.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »
"Happy Holiday" by Andy Williams, solely for the lyric "he'll be coming down the chimney down." Why, why is it written that way?! Coming DOWN the chimney DOWN. Annoys me very time. Just like Live and Let Die's "in which we live in."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2016, 11:37:02 AM »
You mean "But in this ever-changing world in which we're livin'"?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2016, 11:39:11 AM »
I gotta admit, it does sound like the way Chris describes it.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2016, 11:44:09 AM »
I've heard other people complain about those lyrics, so apparently it's not uncommon, but I've always heard "in which we're livin'" so it's never bothered me.  I don't know what the correct lyrics are, but if I've "accidentally" misheard the lyrics in a way which actually makes more sense, then I'm okay with that.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2016, 11:48:04 AM »
Big ol' jet had a light on?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2016, 11:51:17 AM »
That one's silly because the name of the song.

Although I have actually heard someone mention the song "We Will Romp You" by Queen.   :facepalm:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2016, 12:24:51 PM »
I've heard other people complain about those lyrics, so apparently it's not uncommon, but I've always heard "in which we're livin'" so it's never bothered me.  I don't know what the correct lyrics are, but if I've "accidentally" misheard the lyrics in a way which actually makes more sense, then I'm okay with that.

Live And Let Die Lyrics

But if this ever changin' world
In which we live in
Makes you give in and cry
Say live and let die
Live and let die

Google response, but apparently it's ambiguous, and other sources cite "in which we're living".  FWIW, McCartney has said he thinks it is the latter, but he doesn't remember for sure.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2016, 12:32:58 PM »
I think it's hilarious how Paul has written so many songs, he doesn't remember the words to all of them.  I remember years ago he was on some special on TV (I think it was) and blanked out on the lyrics to a song, and the audience was singing along anyway, so he just let them until it got to a spot where he remembered the words.

Because it's Paul McCartney, I would think he wrote the grammatically correct lyrics, but so many people have misheard them over the years that they're now accepted.  Since he can't confirm it, it will go down as one of the great mysteries of the universe.

Offline millahh

• Retired Pedantic Bastard
  • Moderator Emeritus
  • RIP Mark
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2016, 02:02:47 PM »
Baby It's Cold Outside (although it's technically a winter date rape song and not a Christmas song).

FTFY

That's the number one reason why I hate it. Hell, there's even a line where the girl says "hey what's in this drink?" yet people everywhere ignore the fact that this guy won't take no for an answer (the definition of rape) and sing this song gleefully.

There's a version w/ Lady Gaga signing the part of the pursuer, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt with the part of the person trying to leave...any better? :) (it's also one of the better versions out there)
Quote from: parallax
WHEN WILL YOU ADRESS MY MONKEY ARGUMENT???? NEVER???? THAT\' WHAT I FIGURED.:lol

Offline Silent Man

« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2016, 02:47:39 AM »
My hate song no. 1 is absolutely Last Christmas. I can't stand GM and I was so unlucky to watch the video for this song, by accident. That ruined part of my life.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 07:23:11 AM »
My hate song no. 1 is absolutely Last Christmas. I can't stand GM and I was so unlucky to watch the video for this song, by accident. That ruined part of my life.

I love that song.   There's another version by either Miley Cyrus, or Arianna Grande that is...  not as good.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2016, 08:15:12 AM »

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2016, 08:39:52 AM »
Well if you're going to go there, there's always this gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2016, 11:09:01 AM »
I feel bad for Billy Squier.  He may be THE most maligned figure in rock, at least since 1980.   I have all his solo albums (there are nine of them) and every single one is at least very good, if not great.  And yet he will forever be known for the dumb stuff, like "The Video" and that.   Too bad. 

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2016, 12:25:04 PM »
I always liked the guy; he could definitely rock.  But in a time when videos can make a career, it seems that they can also break it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2016, 07:04:38 AM »
That Billy Squier Christmas thing might be a steaming pile of cheese - okay, there is no might about it :lol - but given that the video of it was a shot in MTV's first year of existence, you can tell everyone there was having a good time.  Nothing wrong with a little fun. :metal

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2016, 09:54:21 AM »
^
Indeed.

In a store yesterday, and we heard a cover (Kylie Minogue and Mika?) of 'Wonderful Christmastime'.  First thought:  why?  Lyrics and melody are OK, but I feel like that synth is poking me in the back (and ears) every single time.

As to 'Happy Xmas (War is Over)'.....in our Top Three.  Ever since it first came out.  If you understand the era that it was released, amongst other things....

So glad that I only worked in an office one year, where I had to listen to traditional and religious holiday music during this time, for 8 hours a day.  Took me years to recover, where I could appreciate Bing,  Tennessee Ernie Ford, Peggy Lee, Andy Williams, Nat King Cole, etc.  And have fun again with Mud's 'Lonely This Christmas', Cliff Richard's 'Mistletoe & Wine', and especially Queen's 'Thank God It's Christmas', and the much better, more seasonal 'A Winter's Tale' (Freddie's last penned song).

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!