Author Topic: Top 5 Classic Rock Bands  (Read 7109 times)

Offline Fluffy Lothario

Top 5 Classic Rock Bands
« on: December 18, 2016, 04:54:22 AM »
Topic inspired by the fact that I've recently been giving Creedence Clearwater Revival some time of day (was always vaguely aware of them, but had never given them a proper listen) and damn is this some good shit.

I'll leave it up to you what you choose to define as classic rock. To me, any rock pre-1979 is good, though maybe not punk, and I think an argument could be made for some bands from the '80s like Dire Straits and U2. But I guess if you feel strongly about the entire '80s being "classic", then feel free to just include the whole decade.

Mine would be something like

1. Bob Dylan
2. The Grateful Dead
3. Led Zeppelin
4. Allman Brothers Band
5. Yes

Santana and King Crimson honourable mentions. Black Sabbath would be Top 5, but I'd rather not mix metal in there.

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
Re: Top 5 Classic Rock Bands
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2016, 05:09:08 AM »
Well, if The Beatles and Pink Floyd aren't on it then the list is ineligible.   ;)  So, here's mine...

Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Yes
The Doors
Rush

Honorable mention: Frank Zappa, King Crimson, and Queen

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 05:15:38 AM by Prog Snob »

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2016, 05:13:15 AM »
1.  Rush
2.  Kansas
3.  Yes
4.  Styx
5.  Kiss
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jester

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2016, 06:22:06 AM »
My top 4 came quickly using 1979 as a cutoff and trying not to get too far-fetched with the rock description (such as Stevie Wonder)

The Beatles
Genesis
Supertramp
ELO (this is the equivalent to your CCR kick at the moment)

Picking the 5th feels like Sophie's Choice, so I can just not offer it or throw an oddball out there that I could disqualify as more of an 80s band, but at least I can say they are like cocaine to me (hey, Clapton): 

Van Halen

Sometimes my meta data gets screwed up (like The Eagles albums having the reissue dates instead of the original release dates, so they don't show up in a filter properly) and the library is so huge that there is probably a  :facepalm: band I overlooked.
Political discussion post-election = pointless.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 06:32:30 AM »
It's so hard to narrow it down.  I mean, like you said Sabbath is metal, but they are played on classic rock stations everywhere, so they would qualify?  And a band like Yes is more prog rock than anything, but they get played on classic rock radio, too, so that makes them classic rock, right?

I'll make this nice and easy:

Rush
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Queen
Led Zeppelin

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 11:14:30 AM »
Led Zeppelin
Jethro Tull
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd\Genesis\Kansas (cheating here)
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 12:03:23 PM »
I'm more of an 80s guy but I'm still in denial about the bands of my youth becoming "classic rock"  :biggrin:
So my favourite 70 s bands would be

Deep Purple/Rainbow
UFO
KISS
Rush
Judas Priest

Just missing out on consistency

Thin Lizzy
AC/DC
Whitesnake

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 03:18:50 PM »
I'm more of an 80s guy

Even more so for me - KISS , Van Halen , Doobie Bros and Chicago are about the only 70's bands that ever got much listening for me .  I still need to check out a whole load of 70's material.  As a rule I may struggle with the thinner sound of that era but there's plenty of cool music I have missed out on from that time.  It even boggles my mind why , being a huge Ozzy fan , that I have barely even listened to early Sabbath.

Just missing out on consistency

AC/DC

That's a bold statement  - too much? ;D
« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 03:51:33 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Jester

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 04:50:09 PM »
It even boggles my mind why , being a huge Ozzy fan , that I have barely even listened to early Sabbath.

I love Ozzy.  *Huge fan* might be an exaggeration for me, but I definitely love 80s era Ozzy.

But I'm in the same boat as you.  I can enjoy Sabbath, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them.  In fact, I usually enjoy the covers of Sabbath more than the Sabbath original.  Kind of like a Dylan-Hendrix thing.
Nothing like getting a lecture on “what is and will happen” from the same people that just went 0 for 100 at bat during the election cycle.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »
It even boggles my mind why , being a huge Ozzy fan , that I have barely even listened to early Sabbath.

I love Ozzy.  *Huge fan* might be an exaggeration for me, but I definitely love 80s era Ozzy.

But I'm in the same boat as you.  I can enjoy Sabbath, but I don't go out of my way to listen to them.  In fact, I usually enjoy the covers of Sabbath more than the Sabbath original.  Kind of like a Dylan-Hendrix thing.

I love the first four Ozzy albums but am a casual Sabbath with Ozzy fan. I'll take DIO fronted Sabbath any day, plus the Tony Martin era.

Offline Jester

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 05:15:50 PM »
I love the first four Ozzy albums but am a casual Sabbath with Ozzy fan. I'll take DIO fronted Sabbath any day, plus the Tony Martin era.

We are Ozzy/Sabbath/Dio soulmates.   Possibly even down to Tony Martin as I didn't buy my first Black Sabbath album until I heard the song Immaculate Deception.  Until then, I just heard them nonstop on classic radio or borrowed a friend's CD.

More importantly, this is why Sabbath did not make my Top 5 Classic Rock list, despite the fact that I have no problem recognizing them as serious pioneers of the genre I consider one of my favorites.  Hey.  They say Yngwie is a Blackmore wannabe, but I enjoy Yngwie more than Blackmore.  Great.  Now we have something to fight about  :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 05:31:21 PM »

We are Ozzy/Sabbath/Dio soulmates.   Possibly even down to Tony Martin as I didn't buy my first Black Sabbath album until I heard the song Immaculate Deception.  Until then, I just heard them nonstop on classic radio or borrowed a friend's CD.

More importantly, this is why Sabbath did not make my Top 5 Classic Rock list, despite the fact that I have no problem recognizing them as serious pioneers of the genre I consider one of my favorites.  Hey.  They say Yngwie is a Blackmore wannabe, but I enjoy Yngwie more than Blackmore.  Great.  Now we have something to fight about  :lol

No argument from me with any of that - need to try harder to be controversial :lol   Having said that it's a long time since Yngwie recorded anything worth listening to.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 05:33:11 PM »

Those early Ozzy solo albums are fantastic. It doesn't automatically translate into liking Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 05:34:57 PM »

I'm the opposite. I can't really listen to Ozzy's solo material without wanting to cringe (save for a few songs), but love the first few Black Sabbath releases. I think it's the musical style that does that for me.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 05:36:20 PM »

Those early Ozzy solo albums are fantastic. It doesn't automatically translate into liking Ozzy era Black Sabbath.

Yeah - obviously not for me.  I struggle with the plodding doomy stuff , but I still should've given those albums more of a shot.

Anyway - most of the real classic rock bands in this thread (Queen, Floyd, Zeppelin etc....) have been "best of" bands for me and , although I don't expect the strike rate to be super high , I really need to get stuck into the full albums  some time soon.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 05:44:56 PM »
  "best of" bands for me and , although I don't expect the strike rate to be super high , I really need to get stuck into the full albums  some time soon.
Well from this:

I'd go here next:

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 07:26:59 PM »
Haven't thought about it very much, but here's what immediately comes to mind.

Kansas
Boston
Rush
Yes
Styx

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 07:29:46 PM »
Haven't thought about it very much, but here's what immediately comes to mind.

Kansas
Boston
Rush
Yes
Styx

So close to mine!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 07:43:58 PM »
Are we listing our favorites, or just what we feel are the most influential?

Offline Jester

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2016, 07:48:51 PM »
Are we listing our favorites, or just what we feel are the most influential?

Personally, I went with my personal world as opposed to what I thought the consensus wanted.  So my favorites are also my most influential.  Obviously, I tried to make sure it wasn't some obscure band.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2016, 08:54:51 PM »
It's so hard to narrow it down.  I mean, like you said Sabbath is metal, but they are played on classic rock stations everywhere, so they would qualify?  And a band like Yes is more prog rock than anything, but they get played on classic rock radio, too, so that makes them classic rock, right?

I'll make this nice and easy:

Rush
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
Queen
Led Zeppelin

Weird, Kev, your opinions on music and mine are way different, but without looking, this is what I would have typed.

I feel like the Stones should be on there somewhere, so maybe they are #6.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2016, 09:06:24 PM »
Nit a single mention of the Who. So dissapointed...

Mine....

The Who
Zeppelin
Rush
Floyd
The Dead

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2016, 09:07:26 PM »
Classic rock radio plays stuff from the 90s, so I don't think anyone really has a clue what qualifies.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2016, 11:14:06 PM »
Thanks lonestar, can't believe I forgot The Who.

The more I think about it, Floyd

Upon further consideration, the below are my top 4. #5 gets harder. I want to put Floyd there, there career is a bit more unique, taking a little more time to take off with a huge album, 7(?) years after formation, then only lasting three more albums during their peak, then splintering off for the downside of their career. Fuck it, Floyd is in. Queen and Rush are on the outside, looking in.

Beatles
Stones
The Who
Zeppelin
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 11:59:33 PM »
Nit a single mention of the Who. So dissapointed...

Mine....

The Who
Zeppelin
Rush
Floyd
The Dead

Oh, man. I totally forgot about them. They wouldn't have been Top 5 for me but definitely deserve an honorable mention.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2016, 01:25:47 AM »
Led Zeppelin
Deep Purple/Rainbow
Black Sabbath
Pink Floyd
Rush

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2016, 02:02:14 AM »
My favourite genre is 60s and 70s pop/rock (and pretty much all I listen to) so this is right up my alley.

1. The Beatles (favourite band of all time)
2. Beach Boys
3. The Who
4. Rolling Stones
5. Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Fluffy Lothario

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2016, 03:06:59 AM »
That's why I didn't wanna create criteria - mine might be quite different to what other people would come up with. So as long as the band is old, can fairly uncontroversially be included on a list of rock bands, and you wanna include it, it goes, I guess.

For me, when it comes to Ozzy solo and Sabbath, I devoured Sabbath at high school. I've heard plenty of Ozzy songs on the radio that I really liked, and there are some of his albums I'm fairly certain I'd dig - off the top of my head, Blizzard, Diary, Tribute, No More Tears, and Ozzmosis - but I don't think I'd get into them as much as Sabbath, and I've just never gotten around to any of them.

Offline Dave_Manchester

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2016, 07:34:51 AM »
Using the broadest definition of 'classic rock', my favourite 5 are:

Pink Floyd
Dire Straits
Genesis
The Beatles
Led Zeppelin

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2016, 08:29:17 AM »
At random, off the top of my head, I'll throw out the following:

Bad Company
Boston
Heart
Journey
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2016, 10:46:15 AM »
At random, off the top of my head, I'll throw out the following:

Bad Company
Boston
Heart
Journey
Lynyrd Skynyrd

Was thinking earlier, Skynyrd should have made my honourable mentions.
I only really liked Bad Co in their 80s guise with Brian Howe.

Offline Jester

« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2016, 06:13:34 PM »
I assume the #1 point of these threads is for people to discover something they didn't know about (or in a classic thread - simply overlooked or didn't give a fair shake).

So I'm wondering if people modifying their original list post with 1 to 3 songs they'd recommend others as a roadmap to what they like about that band.

As a personal example, I didn't give a crap about The Who all the way to my late teenage years.  Didn't really care for My Generation, Who Are You and Pinball Wizard which seemed to be what Who fans always recommended to me.

Then Mr. Big did Baba O'reily at a concert and I told my friend "this feels familiar.  It's The Who?  This changes everything".  Then WASP did "The Real Me" and I liked that a ton as well.  Finally accepted The Who has some great stuff when I heard Eminence Front.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2016, 07:40:11 AM »
Unless it's just purely "My favorite", I don't understand how the Beatles aren't on every list.  They were legend in almost every way. 

For me:
- The Beatles
              - A Day In The Life
              - Paperback Writer
              - Strawberry Fields
- Led Zeppelin (listen to anything live before 1975 to understand how powerful they are)
              - Over The Hills And Far Away
              - Stairway To Heaven
              - Ten Years Gone
Pink Floyd
              - Time
              - Comfortably Numb
              - Shine On You Crazy Diamond
The Who
              - Won't Get Fooled Again
              - Who Are You?
              - Join Together
The Rockin' Rolling Stones
              - Gimme Shelter
              - Street Fightin' Man
              - Wild Horses

My favorite from that era:
 - The Beatles
 - Led Zeppelin
 - Genesis  (just listen to Wind and Wuthering, and you'll be fine)
 - Deep Purple
               - Smoke on the Water
               - Space Truckin'
               - Woman From Tokyo
 - Yes
               - Starship Trooper
               - Turn of the Century
               - Heart of the Sunrise

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
The Who
The Kinks.
Tom Petty.
Simon & Garfunkel (Do they count?  Some peeps have inc Dylan).
Television.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2016, 08:14:41 AM »
Led Zeppelin
The Beatles
Pink Floyd
Boston
Queen
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.