Author Topic: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#1 now featured!!)  (Read 24079 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#15 now featured!!)
« Reply #105 on: January 02, 2017, 05:45:31 PM »
U2: a band so popular, even TAC has heard of them!!

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #106 on: January 02, 2017, 05:59:16 PM »
I've actually seen them twice, in fact!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #107 on: January 02, 2017, 06:01:42 PM »
That's one more than me.  :facepalm:

And this is when Joe comes in and talks about how he saw them back in the mid 80s, accomplishing two things: 1) reminds me that he saw them back in the day and I didn't, and 2) reminds us of how old he is. :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #108 on: January 02, 2017, 06:05:22 PM »
That's one more than me.  :facepalm:
Suckah! ;D

First time was in 1987 at the old Boston Garden and the second was in 1992 at Foxboro Stadium.

2) reminds us of how old he is. :biggrin:
:lol

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #109 on: January 02, 2017, 06:34:50 PM »
1983 War tour and 1985 TUF tour.

You happy Kev? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #110 on: January 02, 2017, 07:31:43 PM »
Sonofa... :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2017, 07:40:47 PM »
I was 15 for the War tour. I will never forget how Bono owned the stage.   It was a religious experience.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2017, 07:42:38 PM »
I was 15 for the War 
Was that I or II?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:44 AM »
I was 15 for the War 
Was that I or II?

That was the war on plaid slacks and white turtleneck sweaters.

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #114 on: January 03, 2017, 07:36:00 AM »
I was 15 for the War 
Was that I or II?

That was the war on plaid slacks and white turtleneck sweaters.

The war on fashion. Where's Daniel Tosh when you need him?
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: January 03, 2017, 07:37:00 AM »
Even Daniel could not fight his mom at an early age. :lol

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #116 on: January 03, 2017, 07:39:29 AM »
A little late, but yay for Anneke and KevMo! :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #117 on: January 03, 2017, 03:59:47 PM »
A little late, but yay for Anneke and KevMo! :tup

Yay for getting this thread sort of back on track.  :hat

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #118 on: January 03, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »
I'm sorry, but who is Daniel Tosh?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#14 now featured!!)
« Reply #119 on: January 03, 2017, 04:32:00 PM »
14. Peter Gabriel

Like Bowie, Peter Gabriel is one of those guys who has always just done what he wanted, regardless of what was expected, and the results were usually pretty great.  He would have made the list merely on the strength of his solo career and the Secret World Live DVD, which is one of those live concerts that every music fans should own, but, oh yeah, he was the singer for Genesis when they were at their best in the early to mid 70s.  Plus. whenever you hear him talk, he always talk real, never spitting out cliches or token answers, which you have to admire.  A true music innovator, in every sense of the word.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 08:47:01 PM by KevShmev »

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #120 on: January 03, 2017, 04:38:03 PM »

A load of Tosh is something you may call Genesis , Tim  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #121 on: January 03, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »

You old bastard.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #122 on: January 03, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »
Kev, I love, love, love Gabriel. I wish he recorded more. He is innovative. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #123 on: January 03, 2017, 05:12:48 PM »

You old bastard.

You know who Daniel Tosh is?? I've heard of Peter Tosh.

*snip*

Anyway..
 :corn

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #124 on: January 03, 2017, 07:02:06 PM »
I'm kind of a greatest hits fan when it comes to Peter's solo work, but the songs that I like "I REALLY LIKE!".

Offline Mladen

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2017, 12:00:15 PM »
Not familiar with his solo work, which is something I need to work on, but his contribution to Genesis is immense. Fantastic singer and front man.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2017, 12:06:49 PM »
Not familiar with his solo work, which is something I need to work on, but his contribution to Genesis is immense. Fantastic singer and front man.
I'm the opposite: I don't care for any of the Genesis albums I've heard, but I love his solo material.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2017, 01:13:33 PM »
  I don't care for any of the Genesis albums I've heard, 

;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2017, 02:30:48 PM »
Since I have Photobucket open, a gift for you Kev!

December 16, 1992
Axis, Boston

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »
Nice.

Yeah, he hasn't been very prolific in the last two decades, but the stuff he releases is usually still pretty great.

Anyone here heard the song he released last year called I'm Amazing?  Really, really good song.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
  I don't care for any of the Genesis albums I've heard, 

;D

Seconded. I do like some of Gabriel's solo work, but not enough to talk about. I will say when Sledgehammer or Big Time came up on MTV, I was glued to the screen. Now I hear those songs without the videos and I shrug and change the channel.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #131 on: January 04, 2017, 08:43:06 PM »
I know it's kind of a cliche to say that you need to hear whole albums to get into an artist, but for solo Peter Gabriel, that is really is what it took.  Sure, growing up in the 80s, I always liked Shock the Monkey, Big Time and Sledgehammer, but despite having his best of for a while later in life, it took buying studio albums like Melt, Security and Up for me to really "get" his stuff, and man oh man, did it grab me.  I Grieve is still one of the best cold weather driving songs ever.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#13 now featured!!)
« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2017, 08:54:07 PM »
13. Matt Bellamy

Everything this guy does is great. Singing? Check. Playing guitar? Check. Playing piano? Check. Write good songs? Check. Bring it live? Check. Be the best frontman of the 21st century? Check. It's almost scary how good Bellamy is at everything he does. Muse is one of the bands that is always a must-see live, and Bellamy's ability to put on a great show is a big reason why. That is no disrespect to his two band members, both of whom do a great job as well, but Bellamy is the straw that stirs Muse's drink.  :metal

Offline Serah Farron

• Lightning's baby sister~
  • WOOF WOOF.
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2017, 08:56:19 PM »
Yes! I've seen him live a couple of times and Matt never ceases to amaze me. He has been one of the driving force of Muse and he really is a good songwriter as well as a pianist....basically what you wrote Kev. :tup

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: January 06, 2017, 03:16:49 AM »
No idea!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: January 06, 2017, 04:04:12 AM »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#17 now featured!!)
« Reply #136 on: January 06, 2017, 06:52:52 AM »
Every decade Bowie evolved musically.  Always taking chances, always doing what he wanted and sometimes ahead of the curve.    I would say it applies.

That in and of itself doesn't make someone a genius, it just means they evolved musically, took chances, did what they wanted and were ahead of the curve.
What also needs to be said, and I believe it's something kingshmegland would agree with, is that with every change and innovation he absolutely delivered in terms of quality of music. Pretty much every genre he dabbled with fit him like a glove, he always found a way to embrace new styles and different "colors" while still maintaining his own signature characteristic.

Sorry, late to the party.  I think "good" and "quality" are subjective - personally I think there is almost as much "fail" in the Bowie catalogue as there is "win" - but the thing I was always impressed about with him is that it never felt contrived, or like it was playing to fads, like it did with some others (Mick Jagger comes to mind; I don't think so, but it's a common knock against some of the mid-period Kiss).   It always came off as the honest exploration of a curious and creative soul.   There was an integrity there that I think a lot of artists can take a lesson from.    I'm thinking of the Live Aid performances, and even in the SAME SONG - I'm thinking "Dancing In The Streets" - Bowie comes off as a natural to that 60's Motown swagger and Jagger - who I like, mind you - comes off as, well, someone trying just a shade too hard.   

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#24 now featured!!)
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2017, 07:13:08 AM »
I'd be interested to see how many Beatles songs McCartney and Lennon actually wrote together.   The credits don't tell us anything, since they had agreed in the Beatles that they would get share songwriting credit no matter who wrote the song, but you can always tell who wrote what (based on who sings).  That aside, I think it goes without saying that both were at their best in the Beatles. :tup :tup

Depends; except for early on, when they'd get together and write at McCartney's house in Liverpool, they didn't write in the "I've got this music, do you have any lyrics?" kind of way that Page/Plant, Roth/Van Halen, Tyler/Perry write.   It was more "I've got this bit here, what do you think?" and when that conversation was done, what was a pretty good song came out an amazing song.   After the first few records, it was almost all either intangible or a line here a word there.   "Getting Better":  "It's getting better all the time (McCartney)... Coulnd't get much worse! (Lennon)".  "We Can Work It Out": The chorus is conciliatory in an optimistic way (McCartney), and the middle eight is conciliatory in a fatalist way (Lennon).

Think about that:  you're one of the greatest songwriters in the history of rock, and one of the other greatest songwriters in the history of rock stands right next to you on stage.  I don't know how you can have that relationship and not have each affect the other's work at least to some degree.   one great example of this is "Can't Buy Me Love", ostensibly a Paul song.   But John, back in Liverpool, was almost addicted to puns and wordplay (read his two books, "In His Own Write" and "Spaniard In The Works" to see what I mean) and so while most people think "Can't Buy Me Love" as in "Money cannot buy love for me", it's actually "Can't Buy Me, Love" as in "Hey love, hey girl, you can't buy me". 

Offline PowerSlave

Re: KevShmev's FAVORITE 25 MUSICIANS (#24 now featured!!)
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2017, 07:37:24 AM »
I'd be interested to see how many Beatles songs McCartney and Lennon actually wrote together.   The credits don't tell us anything, since they had agreed in the Beatles that they would get share songwriting credit no matter who wrote the song, but you can always tell who wrote what (based on who sings).  That aside, I think it goes without saying that both were at their best in the Beatles. :tup :tup

Depends; except for early on, when they'd get together and write at McCartney's house in Liverpool, they didn't write in the "I've got this music, do you have any lyrics?" kind of way that Page/Plant, Roth/Van Halen, Tyler/Perry write.   It was more "I've got this bit here, what do you think?" and when that conversation was done, what was a pretty good song came out an amazing song.   After the first few records, it was almost all either intangible or a line here a word there.   "Getting Better":  "It's getting better all the time (McCartney)... Coulnd't get much worse! (Lennon)".  "We Can Work It Out": The chorus is conciliatory in an optimistic way (McCartney), and the middle eight is conciliatory in a fatalist way (Lennon).

Think about that:  you're one of the greatest songwriters in the history of rock, and one of the other greatest songwriters in the history of rock stands right next to you on stage.  I don't know how you can have that relationship and not have each affect the other's work at least to some degree.   one great example of this is "Can't Buy Me Love", ostensibly a Paul song.   But John, back in Liverpool, was almost addicted to puns and wordplay (read his two books, "In His Own Write" and "Spaniard In The Works" to see what I mean) and so while most people think "Can't Buy Me Love" as in "Money cannot buy love for me", it's actually "Can't Buy Me, Love" as in "Hey love, hey girl, you can't buy me".

My brother has a book that goes into some detail about who wrote which song, and some details about levels of collaboration ect ect... It has been a very long time (20 years or so) since I've looked at the book, so I can't remember if it was authorized by the band/management, or even what it was called. I'll ask him about it and report back if you gents are interested.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2017, 11:13:24 AM »
Be the best frontman of the 21st century? Check.
This is quite a bold statement. However, it could be true. For me personally, Corey Taylor and Kevin Barnes (of Montreal) would be up there, but Bellamy might take the top spot.