Author Topic: To PC, or not to PC, that is the question...  (Read 6017 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: To PC, or not to PC, that is the question...
« Reply #210 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
And why is their ignorance something to be acknowledged and/or accommodated?

Take any human on earth and s/he will be ignorant of at least 99% of the sum of human knowledge. Accommodating ignorance is the only way humanity society can function.

I have a daughter who is in her sophomore year of high school, and a daughter that is planning to start her freshman year of college in September.  I'm going to tell them both, "next time you have a question at school and don't know the answer, write down 'Any one person is ignorant on 99% of the sum of human knowledge.  Please accommodate my ignorance on this question, as being the only way that humanity can function.'.    I'm thinking that's not going to work.  ;)

More seriously, there is a difference between the systematic ignorance of the species and a willful and knowing ignorance on a specific issue on which that person acts.   If she is going to be ignorant on that, and acknowledge it as an excuse, then she shouldn't be acting with such zeal.  That's ALSO part of the "functioning human society" tradeoff.   

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #211 on: February 27, 2017, 10:48:41 AM »

We all have an obligation to make sure our opinions reflect the facts and the reality of the world we live in.  NOT the other way around.

Mind you this is probably just me wanting to contradict you but I would say no, we have no such obligations BECAUSE they are just opinions.

So - and don't make me construct some elaborate fact pattern, though I could if I wanted to - I'm entitled and justified to ruin your ability to earn for the rest of your life over something I made up, something I could have easily verified, but just chose not to?

I repeat, just opinions.  What people do with that is another matter. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: February 27, 2017, 10:50:06 AM »

We all have an obligation to make sure our opinions reflect the facts and the reality of the world we live in.  NOT the other way around.

Mind you this is probably just me wanting to contradict you but I would say no, we have no such obligations BECAUSE they are just opinions.

So - and don't make me construct some elaborate fact pattern, though I could if I wanted to - I'm entitled and justified to ruin your ability to earn for the rest of your life over something I made up, something I could have easily verified, but just chose not to?

well, we're talking about the defense of their ACTIONS, aren't we?

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #213 on: February 27, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »

I'm not defending anything.  Just saying that not having all the facts(and even then facts often contradict themselves so you still have to make a judgement call)  doesn't preclude anyone from having opinions. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #214 on: February 27, 2017, 10:58:39 AM »

I'm not defending anything.  Just saying that not having all the facts(and even then facts often contradict themselves so you still have to make a judgement call)  doesn't preclude anyone from having opinions.

okay, you're entitled to your opinion.  :)  But since we're talking about the ACTION - the ACTION of stopping the sale of those t-shirts because someone is "wrongfully" offended, you're kind of off topic.   No one is saying they can't have their opinions; I would expect - if not by "law" then by common human decency - that one would have the self-control and wherewithal to control their opinions until it could be reasonably confirmed by fact.   I  don't go around saying "MIKE PORTNOY IS 37 YEARS OLD.  MY OPINION ONLY."    In that case, I'd look like a bigger dipshit than I already am.  It seems like today, if the opinion is in any way shape or form to be perceived as being "tolerant" it gets a factual free pass, to the detriment of those on the losing end.   

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #215 on: February 27, 2017, 11:04:08 AM »
I have a daughter who is in her sophomore year of high school, and a daughter that is planning to start her freshman year of college in September.  I'm going to tell them both, "next time you have a question at school and don't know the answer, write down 'Any one person is ignorant on 99% of the sum of human knowledge.  Please accommodate my ignorance on this question, as being the only way that humanity can function.'.

They did. It's called teaching.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #216 on: February 27, 2017, 01:37:28 PM »
I have a daughter who is in her sophomore year of high school, and a daughter that is planning to start her freshman year of college in September.  I'm going to tell them both, "next time you have a question at school and don't know the answer, write down 'Any one person is ignorant on 99% of the sum of human knowledge.  Please accommodate my ignorance on this question, as being the only way that humanity can function.'.

That makes no sense. 

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #217 on: February 27, 2017, 01:40:08 PM »

That makes no sense.

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #218 on: February 27, 2017, 03:00:42 PM »

That makes no sense. 

Society accommodated your daughters' ignorance by subsiding an education regime to fill in certain parts of it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010
« Reply #219 on: February 27, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »
There is a large segment of our population to whom you should say this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.