Author Topic: To PC, or not to PC, that is the question...  (Read 2647 times)

Offline TL

Re: To PC, or not to PC, that is the question...
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2016, 07:30:14 PM »
Just heard that a truck plowed into a crowd at a Christmas market in Berlin.  :-(

The media has been sketchy about calling it terror, thanks to PCism, but it is obviously a terror attack and ISIS just claimed responsibility for it.  Could it have been an accident and ISIS is just lying and taking credit?  Sure, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is there are people on the planet who take credit for such death and destruction.  The question isn't the details of the event, the question is why does humanity "tolerate" this behavior?  I have friends in Berlin, I care about them, I am outraged by these events.  Is anyone else?

This is a horrible occurrence, and my heart goes out to those affected.

Now, why do you want the media to rush to give attention and legitimization to cowards and lunatics like ISIS? They're seeking to spread fear, hatred, and division. Why help them? Yes, it is looking like it was probably motivated by that sort of thing, and when it's confirmed, I have no doubt media and government will refer to it accordingly. Whipping up an immediate panic and frenzy about terrorism and yelling at people on our side for not using some specific term seems a bit senseless, and doesn't help anybody. It just makes it easier for ISIS or whoever it is to point to this as a victory, when it's actually just a senseless act of cowardice.

Offline 7th

« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2016, 07:40:31 PM »
Just heard that a truck plowed into a crowd at a Christmas market in Berlin.  :-(

The media has been sketchy about calling it terror, thanks to PCism, but it is obviously a terror attack and ISIS just claimed responsibility for it.  Could it have been an accident and ISIS is just lying and taking credit?  Sure, but that doesn't matter.  What matters is there are people on the planet who take credit for such death and destruction.  The question isn't the details of the event, the question is why does humanity "tolerate" this behavior?  I have friends in Berlin, I care about them, I am outraged by these events.  Is anyone else?

Now, why do you want the media to rush to give attention and legitimization to cowards and lunatics like ISIS? They're seeking to spread fear, hatred, and division. Why help them? Yes, it is looking like it was probably motivated by that sort of thing, and when it's confirmed, I have no doubt media and government will refer to it accordingly. Whipping up an immediate panic and frenzy about terrorism and yelling at people on our side for not using some specific term seems a bit senseless, and doesn't help anybody. It just makes it easier for ISIS or whoever it is to point to this as a victory, when it's actually just a senseless act of cowardice.

I agree except on one point.  Fear, hatred, and division is what they represent, what events like this should spread is outrage through the western world.  Outrage that will eclipse the PCism so terrorists can be hunted into extinction.  I know that sounds harsh, and it is harsh, but we cannot keep allowing religious fundamentalists to invade our countries and cause death and destruction. 
"Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners" - George Carlin

Offline TL

« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »

I agree except on one point.  Fear, hatred, and division is what they represent, what events like this should spread is outrage through the western world.  Outrage that will eclipse the PCism so terrorists can be hunted into extinction.  I know that sounds harsh, and it is harsh, but we cannot keep allowing religious fundamentalists to invade our countries and cause death and destruction.
Thinking people aren't outraged about these kinds of things is absurd. Thinking people don't want to stop terrorism is delusional.

The thing is, "PCism" as you're referring to it doesn't say we shouldn't use force against terrorist groups. It's saying we shouldn't treat everyone from a religion or ethnicity with suspicion just because of a few horrible people.
I'm all for using force against groups like ISIS. The thing is, that's just one piece of the puzzle. Force alone won't solve this. Putting all Muslims under a lens of suspicion when most have done nothing wrong only serves to hand groups like ISIS a recruiting tool. It lets them point and say, "See, those people are out to get you. Come fight for us". It's not just with radical Islamic groups either. This is a trend throughout history. As someone with a lot of Irish relatives, I've heard countless times how eerily similar it is to some of the recruitment tactics used by the IRA back during The Troubles.
You can't beat a concept with brute force alone. You need to outsmart groups like this, and I like to think we're capable of doing that.

Offline 7th

« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2016, 08:15:49 PM »
Thinking people aren't outraged about these kinds of things is absurd. Thinking people don't want to stop terrorism is delusional.

The thing is, "PCism" as you're referring to it doesn't say we shouldn't use force against terrorist groups. It's saying we shouldn't treat everyone from a religion or ethnicity with suspicion just because of a few horrible people.
I'm all for using force against groups like ISIS. The thing is, that's just one piece of the puzzle. Force alone won't solve this. Putting all Muslims under a lens of suspicion when most have done nothing wrong only serves to hand groups like ISIS a recruiting tool. It lets them point and say, "See, those people are out to get you. Come fight for us". It's not just with radical Islamic groups either. This is a trend throughout history. As someone with a lot of Irish relatives, I've heard countless times how eerily similar it is to some of the recruitment tactics used by the IRA back during The Troubles.
You can't beat a concept with brute force alone. You need to outsmart groups like this, and I like to think we're capable of doing that.

Our current leadership in the USA is not outraged, my guess is Obama will continue to minimize Islamic terror.  I never said people don't want to stop terrorism, but wanting it stopped and proactively stopping it are two very different things.  I agree that it takes much more than brute force, actually, I believe it can be done without much violence at all.  It is a problem of socioeconomics, not religion.  Many terrorists are doing what they are doing for economic reasons, not ideological reasons.  It's the ideology that is used to confuse the terrorist into a moral license to commit murder.  BUT, the idea that it's just a few bad apples is also flawed.  Many fantasy Muslims are simply unaware that their participation results in funding and support for the bad apples.  It is a complex and ugly problem, and I do not advocate any unfair treatment of innocent people of any religion, but sometimes solutions are simply unfair. 

Offline 7th

« Reply #179 on: December 20, 2016, 01:29:37 AM »
Here is where some serious precedent can be set:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/exclusive-families-of-orlando-nightclub-shooting-victims-sue-facebook-twitter-and-google/ar-AAlKIIT?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=spartanntp

I hope they win and the social networks have to start policing their shit.  There is no reason for pro-terror and terror recruiting messages to flow through these services.  These are not protected classes of speech.  Or, will PCism fight that people should be able to conduct terror activity on social networks hosted by US companies.  Is the provider of communication tools responsible for what is communicated?  What if they know about illegal activity and do not report it.  Are we headed for "sanctuary servers"?

Offline Prog Snob

• Resident Tolkien Geek
« Reply #180 on: December 20, 2016, 01:51:43 AM »
Yom Kippur isn't a National Holiday.

Rosh Hashanah isn't a National Holiday.

Eid al-Adha isn't a National Holiday.

Yet those three were observed and public schools were closed, so try again. If you think twenty hours dedicated to a religious performance is a waste, how about those three religious holidays that were observed? How much education was lost on those days?

Yes Prog Snob...they were CLOSED!  No school resources used!  EXACTLY!  And exactly ZERO education was lost on those days....do you seriously think the amount of days kids go to school is a zero sum game?  LOL.  They simply have other days the school is open.  What, are you going to rail against summer vacation too, and the 3 months of education lost?   :rollin
I never said the 20 hours were a waste....I said they shouldnt have been used for religous celebration.  The "National Holiday" angle is completely irrelevant to the point.

You like to switch your argument around a lot, and logic seems to evade you, so let me explain so even YOU can understand it.

Using, for example, 20 hours of school resources to dedicate towards putting on a religious celebration means 20 less hours for educating students on other things = Using three days to observe religious holidays means that's three whole days less to educate students on other things. So, in both instances religious holidays are taking away from regular education. I'm not quite sure why you have a problem making that connection. Well, I do have an idea.  ;)

I'm not sure what the purpose of your summer vacation comment is. Summer vacation has nothing to do with the religious holidays we're discussing. So if anyone should be laughing it should be me at you but it's actually sad. Were you breastfed?

I notice you are saying that National Holiday angle is irrelevant now. But you only said that after I proved your original theory about National Holidays wrong. How convenient.  ::)  Let's see how you try and change your argument next. :corn

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #181 on: December 20, 2016, 04:41:01 AM »
 Prog, the reason they are different is that the calculation of school days is done before hand with national holidays figured in.  If the school year is to have say 180 days of instruction, they don't then take out your 3 religious holidays and have 177.  They add on 3 days and keep 180.  If they use actual school days to do a religious play, they don't add on extra days.  National holidays don't take away from ANY class time.....this play 100% did.  See the difference?

And tread lightly on the personal comments.  We have been through this before.  Was I breast fed?  Seriously?  That is your mulligan.  Next one I will report you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 04:48:14 AM by eric42434224 »
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #182 on: December 20, 2016, 05:14:39 AM »
Here is where some serious precedent can be set:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/exclusive-families-of-orlando-nightclub-shooting-victims-sue-facebook-twitter-and-google/ar-AAlKIIT?li=AA4ZnC&ocid=spartanntp

I hope they win and the social networks have to start policing their shit.  There is no reason for pro-terror and terror recruiting messages to flow through these services.  These are not protected classes of speech.  Or, will PCism fight that people should be able to conduct terror activity on social networks hosted by US companies.  Is the provider of communication tools responsible for what is communicated?  What if they know about illegal activity and do not report it.  Are we headed for "sanctuary servers"?

A very dangerous and slippery slope.  Tough to take a position whit so little info, but initially I feel that unless actual negligence is proven, I hope this lawsuit fails.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• Resident Tolkien Geek
« Reply #183 on: December 20, 2016, 05:32:35 AM »
Prog, the reason they are different is that the calculation of school days is done before hand with national holidays figured in.  If the school year is to have say 180 days of instruction, they don't then take out your 3 religious holidays and have 177.  They add on 3 days and keep 180.  If they use actual school days to do a religious play, they don't add on extra days.  National holidays don't take away from ANY class time.....this play 100% did.  See the difference?

And tread lightly on the personal comments.  We have been through this before.  Was I breast fed?  Seriously?  That is your mulligan.  Next one I will report you.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #184 on: December 20, 2016, 05:34:22 AM »

You posted the same gif last time and ended up taking a vacation.  Dont let history repeat itself.

Maybe just apologize for the personal insult, and address my post on the topic.   
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• Resident Tolkien Geek
« Reply #185 on: December 20, 2016, 05:38:05 AM »
Wrong...again. Though I'm starting to see a pattern with that. I got booted last time because I told you that you needed a dictionary.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #186 on: December 20, 2016, 05:41:26 AM »
Wrong...again. Though I'm starting to see a pattern with that. I got booted last time because I told you that you needed a dictionary.

You got booted for ALL the comments you made.  I dont want to see that happen again, so just back off the personal shit.

And if I am wrong, show how and why?  I showed clearly how the two (National Holidays vs The Play situation) are totally different.  One results in lost time, the other doesnt.  Stay focused on the topic....not the insults.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• Resident Tolkien Geek
« Reply #187 on: December 20, 2016, 05:48:10 AM »

You got booted for ALL the comments you made.  I dont want to see that happen again, so just back off the personal shit.

And if I am wrong, show how and why?  I showed clearly how the two (National Holidays vs The Play situation) are totally different.  One results in lost time, the other doesnt.  Stay focused on the topic....not the insults.

I already explained myself to you. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean I'm wrong. Maybe this works with other people but I'm on to you and your desperate ways. Just drop it before it does get personal because you're wasting my time.

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #188 on: December 20, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »

I already explained myself to you. Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean I'm wrong. Maybe this works with other people but I'm on to you and your desperate ways. Just drop it before it does get personal because you're wasting my time.

If you cant explain your position, it isnt worth much.  In a forum such as this, you should be able to support your assertions.

I clearly explained why you were wrong. 

National Holidays do not take away from shool days.  They are already factored in to get a pre-determined number of school days.  As an example, lets say 180.  If there are 3 National Religious Holidays, the number of school days doesnt go down to 177.  It stays at 180 with the school simply open on 3 other days.
So.......
If the school year is 180 days, and we use 3 days to practice a play, the school district doesnt add on the days to make up those 3.

Please just show how that is not correct.  National Religious Holidays, and this Play Scenario are very different.  The latter uses class time, the former doesnt and is irrelevant to the discussion.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline Prog Snob

• Resident Tolkien Geek
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2016, 06:29:27 AM »
And I clearly explained why you were wrong. Enough already. This always having to get the last word in even when you're wrong nonsense of yours gets old real fast. 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #190 on: December 20, 2016, 06:31:36 AM »
And I clearly explained why you were wrong. Enough already. This always having to get the last word in even when you're wrong nonsense of yours gets old real fast.

Just saying I was wrong is not an explanation.  If you cant explain it, I understand, and wont bring it up anymore.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline yeshaberto

• Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #191 on: December 20, 2016, 07:11:19 AM »
Eric, I appreciate your maturity in handling this.

ProgSnob will not be posting here.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran

Offline hefdaddy42

• Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound
  • Global Moderator
  • RIP Dad 1943-2010

Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2017, 11:39:39 AM »
When are one of these companies going to grow some balls and not cave to this shit? Seriously, they could have come out said "This is not racist. If you don't like the shirt don't buy it".

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #195 on: February 25, 2017, 03:29:28 AM »
Honestly, my first instinct was to roll my eyes, but I don't think its unreasonable to suggest a person who doesn't follow the Walking Dead and therefore has no knowledge of the context might read it differently to someone who does.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: February 25, 2017, 12:14:59 PM »
Reading it differently, of course is reasonable. But when does it become unreasonable? When you complain to the store manager? Tell all your friends not to shop there? Start a boycott on Instantface?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #197 on: February 25, 2017, 12:38:42 PM »
When are one of these companies going to grow some balls and not cave to this shit? Seriously, they could have come out said "This is not racist. If you don't like the shirt don't buy it".

It's probably never going to happen because the fear of some sort of public backlash, however minor, seem to far exceed making the rational decision of brushing something stupid like this off.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #198 on: February 25, 2017, 01:23:37 PM »
I'm waiting for the day when we can't wear cotton anymore.

After all, slaves picked cotton.

Therefore, clothes made of cotton must be racist, right?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #199 on: February 25, 2017, 01:26:39 PM »
Reading it differently, of course is reasonable. But when does it become unreasonable? When you complain to the store manager? Tell all your friends not to shop there? Start a boycott on Instantface?

They are well within their rights to do all those things. People are allowed to protest things they disagree with, even if I think those protests are stupid.

No.

Offline antigoon

• Not Elvis
  • DT.net Veteran
  • This was a triumph.
« Reply #200 on: February 25, 2017, 01:49:32 PM »
::)

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #201 on: February 25, 2017, 01:55:39 PM »

Kev, my stl bro, you know I love you like a step uncle twice removed, but this is an example of the kind of hyperbole that doesn't add anything or help a conversation.

In the end, these companies that cave to idiots protesting are making a choice. They CAN blow it off or whatever, but they're choosing not to. As XJDenton pointed out, people can protest or boycott whatever they see fit. Freedom.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #202 on: February 25, 2017, 05:45:32 PM »
It was an extreme example, I know, but that was the point. It feels like we are heading to a point where almost everything is somehow considered offensive/racist/etc.  I sometimes wonder how some people can even enjoy life when they are working so hard to be outraged.

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #203 on: February 25, 2017, 07:26:41 PM »
It's true, but it seems like people work much harder (or are just so sensitive that they don't need to work hard at all) to be outraged at the suggestion of racism or sexism.

Or about just being an idiot. For all the people saying "PC!! PC!!!", there seems to be a similar amount of people saying "Not considering our FEELINGS is why _____ happened." The president of the United States wants a Safe Space, and to be treated like a Special Snowlfake immune to criticism. A large subsection of his voters seem to want the same. It's "PC" that keeps these people for being called out for the simple morons they are, imo.

Also, I do despise the overly "PC" mindset, that would criticise people for making a joke or a statement with no negative intent... but I would also say that there is a huge appetite for consuming that type of stuff. And by that I mean, there is basically a desire by a subset of conservatives to see the "PC boogeyman", and in the same way that a minority of extreme right wing racists might serve as ammunition for the "lib'ruls" to tar the other side, a minority of left wing extreme "PC" warriors do the same thing for others on the right, that want to ignore the other problems and focus on the small number that Twitt away about the inherent sexism of Xmas or about Microaggressions or whatever. The same group complaining about being tarred with the KKK or alt-right brush is often the same group claiming that the "real problem" is "the left" because of their PC agenda, not noticing that they are just focusing on the left's equivalent of the alt-right while complaining about the other side doing the same.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: February 27, 2017, 08:08:42 AM »
Honestly, my first instinct was to roll my eyes, but I don't think its unreasonable to suggest a person who doesn't follow the Walking Dead and therefore has no knowledge of the context might read it differently to someone who does.

And why is their ignorance something to be acknowledged and/or accommodated?    That it's not unreasonable for someone with a lack of understanding to get the pure intent doesn't make it something we should accommodate.   It's not "unreasonable" expect someone who chugged a twelve-pack at an Oscar's party to be an impaired driver, but we don't then let them drive.   

We all have an obligation to make sure our opinions reflect the facts and the reality of the world we live in.  NOT the other way around. 

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #205 on: February 27, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »

We all have an obligation to make sure our opinions reflect the facts and the reality of the world we live in.  NOT the other way around.

Mind you this is probably just me wanting to contradict you but I would say no, we have no such obligations BECAUSE they are just opinions. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:06:57 AM by XeRocks81 »

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: February 27, 2017, 10:02:16 AM »
And why is their ignorance something to be acknowledged and/or accommodated?

Take any human on earth and s/he will be ignorant of at least 99% of the sum of human knowledge. Accommodating ignorance is the only way humanity society can function.

Offline Adami

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: February 27, 2017, 10:04:30 AM »

And why is their ignorance something to be acknowledged and/or accommodated?    That it's not unreasonable for someone with a lack of understanding to get the pure intent doesn't make it something we should accommodate.   It's not "unreasonable" expect someone who chugged a twelve-pack at an Oscar's party to be an impaired driver, but we don't then let them drive.   

I thought we had to tolerate every perspective, no matter how ignorant or else we become fascist?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #208 on: February 27, 2017, 10:42:52 AM »

I thought we had to tolerate every perspective, no matter how ignorant or else we become fascist?

We do, but as part of our social contract, we have to have SOME obligation to be right before we ruin someone else's life over acting on our "ignorant perspective".  I often argue the extremes here, but I'm not 100% sure my position should be construed that we have a RIGHT - the exact word I want to use - to be blatantly and provably wrong.    I don't at all question her right to hold her opinion, but she's well beyond that.  This is action, not ideas anymore.     

Or if you insist, if you won't draw that compromise with me, then allow for legal action by that person.   Reduce the requirements for slander/libel to minimize the degree to which you have to show tangible monetary harm.   

The standard right now is skewed; if I THINK or say something racist - even if it is factually correct - I am subject to "consequences".  If I act on those thoughts, I am potentially a felon.   If I THINK or say something that is "intolerance of intolerance" - even if it is factually WRONG - and I act on it, even if that is to damage or ruin someone else's livelihood, I'm not subject to any consequences whatsoever.  I'm not sure there is any absolute rule that covers all eventualities, but certainly, a measure of reciprocity and balance in is order.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #209 on: February 27, 2017, 10:44:12 AM »

Mind you this is probably just me wanting to contradict you but I would say no, we have no such obligations BECAUSE they are just opinions.

So - and don't make me construct some elaborate fact pattern, though I could if I wanted to - I'm entitled and justified to ruin your ability to earn for the rest of your life over something I made up, something I could have easily verified, but just chose not to?