Author Topic: Was latter day RUSH better than the 1970s?  (Read 4382 times)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Was latter day RUSH better than the 1970s?
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:50:28 AM »
I've been on a pretty big RUSH kick lately. The band was never one of my top favorites, but I liked them. And I liked them more the older I got. While going through the catalog over the last month or so, it dawned on me how much more I enjoy the latter era Rush (say Counterparts through Clockwork Angels) more than their classic 70s period through Moving Pictures.

I mean, I still love the old 70s stuff a lot. But being objective about it, I really felt their latter 20 years were by far their best -- the songs, as a whole, are much better written. Production value obviously throws a wrench into things, because we all know how a lot of those 70s records sound. But it really surprised me to come to that conclusion.

I'm not really a fan of the keyboard-heavy era of the band. I tend to tolerate Signals (Subdivisions rocks), but after that, they lose me up until Counterparts (Roll the Bones is OK, but I can't stand the title track).

Anyway, I was curious, do fans here prefer the latter era  of Rush over the 1970s era through Moving Pictures? Why or why not?
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Was latter day RUSH better than the 1970s?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 08:56:18 AM »
I really liked Roll The Bones, Counterparts, and Snakes & Arrows, but I wouldn't rank them higher than those classic albums from 2112 through Moving Pictures.

I would tend to put that down to personal preference rather than actual quality of the music.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 08:57:33 AM »
As a real Rush nut my answer is no.  Doesn't mean they were not putting out quality music.  I admire Rush for continuing to change their sound and challenging themselves over the years.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 08:59:54 AM »
As a real Rush nut my answer is no.  Doesn't mean they were not putting out quality music.  I admire Rush for continuing to change their sound and challenging themselves over the years.

I've been reading Martin Popoff's visual history book on the  band, and that stood out to me as well. They really had a great grasp of when they were "done" in a certain direction. As a fan in retrospect, it makes it easier to define the eras you identify more with, honestly.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 10:34:55 AM »
When I'm in a Rush mood, I'll go to the 70s albums and the 80s albums up until Hold Your Fire. Everything after that I still listen to, but it's more of a casual basis. The synth era actually has some of my all time favorite Rush tunes.

I just found that after Hold Your Fire, there was just some inconsistencies on the subsequent albums. So I just enjoy s/t- HYF overall the most.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 12:40:18 PM »
Well, Hemispheres is in my top ten albums of all time by any band, and Moving Pictures is close.  I love Signals, Farewell to Kinds, and Power Windows (though Grace Under Pressure is one of my least favorite albums by any band ever) so I think you know my answer.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 12:48:37 PM »
Clockwork Angels to me is their best album since Moving Pictures.  I really like their more obscure 80s albums like Power Windows and GUP too.  Presto is great, RTB only has a couple stand out tracks. Counterparts and TFE are strong. VT and Snakes and Arrows are decent. CA is their return to top form.
  70s Rush was amazing too!  :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
As a fan of Rush starting in late 2012, for me, I get a great kick out of Modern Rush (Vapor Trails onwards).  Lots of live releases and setlists that varies a good amount that covers a whole lot of ground in their eras and I like their recent studio albums (preferable Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels.  The studio version of Snakes and Arrows sounds a bit flat compared to when those songs were played live for the Snakes and Arrows live DVD which were amazing.) 

Not that I have anything against 70s Rush, since I admired their determination at that period, their ability to go against the norm in music and overcome hardships (especially during the Caress of Steel era) and their ability to succeed and grow a fanbase on their terms.  It's just the music in that period didn't really speak to me as much on a personal level compared to something like Out of the Cradle,  Ceiling Unlimited, The Way The Wind Blows, The Garden, etc.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2016, 02:20:34 PM »
At the point when Exit Stage Left came out, Rush was my favorite band, and planted the seeds for my love of Dream Theater years later. When Signals came out, I did not understand. I basically ignored them in the 80's though I did see them a few times.

Counterparts is excellent, as is Clockwork Angels. Clockwork Angels is literally the only album that I can feel has a link to anything pre Moving Pictures.

Well, Hemispheres is in my top ten albums of all time by any band, and Moving Pictures is close. 

Love love love Hemispheres. Both make my Top 25.

I've been reading Martin Popoff's visual history book on the  band, and that stood out to me as well. They really had a great grasp of when they were "done" in a certain direction. As a fan in retrospect, it makes it easier to define the eras you identify more with, honestly.
Is that Contents Under Pressure? If so, I have that, and it is excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 02:42:20 PM »
Nowhere near for me. In fact, if I had never heard anything pre Counterparts I wouldn't have been a fan of the band.
The 80s output was excellent, the 70s legendary.
What came after Counterparts, Clockwork Angels apart, was pretty much complete shit. In my opinion of course.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 03:05:01 PM »
I love rush up until and including Grace Under pressure.

From there up until snakes and arrows, I can take it or leave it (with the exception of counterparts, which I thoroughly enjoy)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2016, 05:53:16 PM »
No.

I love Counterparts and Clockwork Angels, but even I cannot put those as high as 2112, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves or Power Windows.  I'd say those six albums are the ones I listen to by far the most nowadays by Rush.

Most bands put out the vast majority of their best music early in their career, and Rush is no exception in that regard, but they are unique in that they put a lot of great material later in their career, which many bands cannot say, especially ones with careers as long as theirs.

Offline ChuckSteak

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2016, 08:34:35 PM »
Nope.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 01:10:08 AM »
I like all the albums from the band, even Caress of Steel and Test for Echo.

But Permanent Waves to Power Windows, is my favorite era of Rush.

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2016, 06:03:09 AM »
2112 is one of my favorite albums, but apart from that I prefer post-70s Rush by a large margin. Vapor Trails is a bit of a dud, and a few other latter-day albums are hit-or-miss, but overall they matured a lot, and I'm glad they moved on from the banshee vocals and fantasy epics. My top 5 consists of Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Power Windows, Counterparts and Clockwork Angels. It's amazing how those 5 are from 3 different decades!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 06:10:01 AM by ? »

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2016, 06:08:17 AM »
My favourite period from them is 1976-1982, but I quite like their more recent stuff too. It's the synth period I have problems with (not just with Rush, it's that whole period/sound overall).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 07:37:48 AM »
Personally, I don't listen to much of their material pre Permanent Waves.  I probably listen to albums within the Permanent Waves to Presto most often, but I've been listening to Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels a lot as well.  Clockwork Angels is a top 5 Rush album for me.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline red barchetta

• don't worry, I'm being watched lol
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2016, 07:47:37 AM »
I'm a Rush fan since the summer on 1979 when I really discovered them.  After that I saw every single shows they played in Montreal except a couple of tours in the '90s.  I remember when they released Signals in late 82 or early 83. To me that album was good but far from the great Moving Pictures album.  After that, every album had for me a few good songs and a bunch of songs I was not that much attracted to.    A lot of bands struggled at the turn of the '80s with the new tendency of New wave, the music being much more played through keyboards.  Rush went to that direction as well and Alex guitar was less involved and present in the Rush sound.  Even worse, his sound changed for a cleaner sound which felt to me less heavy or hard rock, far from his sound on 2112 for instance. 

Over the years I liked every albums they released except Roll the bones.  It's the worst album they ever made.  It's not rock, it's pop music.  Nothing in there sounds like Rush music.  No song but one is kind of hard enough.  But I remember really enjoying Counterparts, the next one.  Sometimes, they were surprising me, sometimes they were predictable.  I listen to Rush almost every week, even today.  I prefer the early stuff they made.  I probably listen to the early stuff (until Moving Pictures) 4 times more than what they made from Signals. Their last studio album, Clockwork Angels was their best album in a long long time and live they were putting a great show with the strings ensemble.

Oh, I never liked Mistic rythms.  Could not stand that song but perfect for going pee time.  Ah I'm sure there are a few others I never liked.  But this band gave me so much fun, great emotions, I don't see myself stopping listening to them until I die.
With all respect, sincerely yours

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2016, 12:55:20 PM »
Personally, I don't listen to much of their material pre Permanent Waves.  I probably listen to albums within the Permanent Waves to Presto most often, but I've been listening to Vapor Trails and Clockwork Angels a lot as well.  Clockwork Angels is a top 5 Rush album for me.

Such a cool perspective. For me, personally, I just really never connected with the synth era of the band. But I agree completely about Clockwork Angels. In my top-5 of Rush for sure.

Offline TempusVox

• Descendant of Primus
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2016, 07:38:28 PM »
My answer is no. I love everything about their entire catalog. But I'm heavily biased because I know many of the stories behind the music. Ged has told me many times the driving force behind everything they did was to be as perfect technically as they possibly could no matter what they might have been experimenting with or experiencing at the time. And they had to stretch themselves. Anything less was letting the audience down. For me, on that merit alone each album is as great as the rest front to back of their entire catalog.  I do know as they got older, they were clearly more nuanced in their abilities and we're at the highest pinnacle of their craft. And that comes through in their sound and the craftsmanship of each song.
You don't HAVE a soul.You ARE a soul.You HAVE a body.
"I came here to drink milk and kick ass; and I just finished my milk."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2016, 08:00:22 PM »
I don't know, Temp. Post Moving Pictures, there's only a handful of times where I actually felt that they were pushing themselves. Signals is OK, and I do respect Power Windows. But other than Clockwork Angels, I've never felt like they were truly challenging themselves.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2016, 08:07:56 PM »
Well my friend I do disagree.   I may not be your style but love that they were striving to grow. It may not always worked but I lied it. 

Sure, others were better than others (See Power Windows & Counterparts) but I'm glad they branched out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2016, 08:09:22 PM »
   I may not be your style 

You are most definitely not my style! :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 08:11:50 PM »
 :lol

Don't knock it until you...

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2016, 08:14:56 AM »
king, I Like Your Style
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2016, 08:31:54 AM »

Such a cool perspective. For me, personally, I just really never connected with the synth era of the band. But I agree completely about Clockwork Angels. In my top-5 of Rush for sure.

I think it depends on when you got into the band.  My first experience with Rush was the A Show of Hands video and then the Presto record, so I've always had an affinity for the synth era. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2016, 09:47:25 AM »
king, I Like Your Style

This is an educated bumb.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »
bumb

:rollin

you could say I've come to a decision and decided you are the real deal.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2016, 12:19:06 PM »
I got into Rush around 1982, a friend of my dad had a cassette of 2112 playing in his car and I was hooked.
So I grew up into the synth era and loved it then and still love it now.
Power Windows is still a phenomenal record, song wise and sonically a truely amazing album.

I was a massive fan up until T4E, after that they really lost me and I really think that the latter 20 years is nowhere near as good as the first 20.

I still buy the live concerts, those are amazing and even the weaker new material is almost bearable.

Worst album by far, Roll The Bones, it just dose nothing for me, no appeal at all, and that bloody awful title track that they keep playing live, is perhaps
their worst song ever, musically and the lyrics are just.... and this has nothing to do with the rap in the middle.

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2016, 12:35:28 PM »
No way, but their albums from the last 15 years have been very well done. My least favorite album is Presto, probably because that was more of a transitional album.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
bumb

:rollin

you could say I've come to a decision and decided you are the real deal.

Bump! :lol  I was secretly typing that in a conference.  lol

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2016, 06:46:10 PM »
Presto is/was a fave of mine, love the style songs, production is crystal clear, but has no bottom end.
I'm going to buy the Japan remaster, hopefully sounds a little better.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2016, 07:35:18 AM »
Huge fan of Presto.  Love that record.

Offline Art

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2016, 07:53:57 AM »
I love Counterparts and Test For Echo but 70's Rush is an absolute classic.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2016, 11:22:53 AM »
Huge fan of Presto.  Love that record.

Seconded.  I still don't understand how the band likes Roll the Bones more.