Poll

Whose EP is the best?  

Elite
Parama
Shadow Ninja 2.0
Train of Naught
twosuitsluke

Author Topic: Tomislav's Roulette v. The Best of Roulette  (Read 67371 times)

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. Round 2 Hangman
« Reply #210 on: December 24, 2016, 06:50:46 AM »

Guitar solo is less generic than I though it would be.

Actually, this could also totally be mine!

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. Round 2 Hangman
« Reply #211 on: December 24, 2016, 07:03:48 AM »

Chorus kicks some serious butt!

There's something about production that's bugging me here.

Absolutely love singer's voice.

These seem most likely I guess...
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. Round 2 - early Christmas
« Reply #212 on: December 25, 2016, 07:53:30 AM »
1. doubt it
2. maybe
3. maybe
4. possibly
5. i dunno
6. maybe but probably not
7. please no
8. dunno
9. hope not
10. okay definitely not
11. maybe
12. doubt it

these comments exist

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. Round 2 listening
« Reply #213 on: December 29, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
Hey, guys! Yes, this is still happening :lol
When do you want your results? :P
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline home

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. Panem et Circenses
« Reply #214 on: December 29, 2016, 07:05:56 AM »

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. Round 2 listening
« Reply #215 on: December 29, 2016, 07:43:14 AM »
uh now!  :tup
ok.

Again, this was very even round and better than round 1 which say a lot. You have to stop sending so good songs :lol
I feel like I didn't do justice to some of the songs because I didn't know really what to say but sometimes I like or dislike song for unknown reason, I just feel like it. And scores are still very even but that's how good everything is.

Round 2 Results

Evermind: The Wishing Tree - Soldier

I was really grateful for getting the band I never heard of because this round is full of those I either heard or heard of. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough. This song is nice but I can’t say I like it that much. Singer’s voice is just ok to me, I couldn’t get into it, maybe because it’s breathy, I don’t know. Some melodies are actually great but they lost me pretty fast. At the moments, guitar sounds like neofolk which is definitely a plus in my book. However, I can’t say I’m thrilled with it. Don’t get me wrong, it’s good but I’m not crazy about it. My biggest problem with the song is that it really feels like a long interlude or fantasy TV show opening.

I’d like to like it more but unfortunately, while I like some parts of it, I really have no desire to listen to it anymore.

6/10

Sacul: Sufjan Stevens - John Wayne Gacy Jr

Another semi-banned artist. I actually liked his latest album very much but never heard anything else until now. Opening is classic Sufjan Stevens, acoustic guitar and piano. I liked his voice on Carrie & Lowell as well but here he sounds much better, in my opinion. His voice here is much fuller and natural opposed to that other album where he sounds like he’s refraining himself from letting his full voice out. What I absolutely love here is that part with falsetto, you know it :D (“…oh my God…”). I have to admit I’m usually not fan of those storytelling lyrics, I’m more of a poetry lover :P

Another song I feel like I didn’t do justice with my write-up but I don’t know what to say. It’s good, would listen again but it didn’t really grab me like Low Roar from round 1, for example.

7.5/10

Parama: The Ocean - Stenian (Mount Sorrow)

Another band I heard full album of. I liked them pretty much but I’m not crazy about that album. Beginning sounds almost like swing piano, getting kind of BTBAM vibe. Real thing starts with guitar and bass though, and after that there are strings which blend pretty good with everything else. That’s some intro. After intro, real paramacore starts :lol I’m never sure if I like these screaming vocals or not, but I know I don’t hate them. Cleans are pretty good. I never expected screaming and strings would work this good. What I find weird are those random blast beats, where did that come from? Again, this reminds me of BTBAM for some reason.

Again, I’m sorry for not giving it more than 7,5. I though it will grow on me but it didn’t really. It is really good but not something I would listen to all day right now. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll like it more.

7.5/10

Luoto: Barren Earth - Our Twilight

My first thought was: is this Amorphis? :lol It really sounds like them. Growls are awesome and those melodic parts underneath are catchy. On the other hand, I think clean vocals are just ok, I’d like if there was more energy in them. Solo sounds just like melodic death metal solo, I don’t find it special. Highlight of the song for me is the part after the solo. Similar melodic riff from the opening is back and paired with those growls it sounds mighty.

Overall, this is very good. My complaint is that it sounds really expected, like something I would imagine when thinking of melodic death metal (I won’t say it’s generic). And this round is very strong so I’m confident with this score. I’ll definitely check this band further though.

7,5/10

Shadow Ninja 2.0: Sarah Fimm - Orchids

I remember seeing this cover art somewhere but I had no idea what kind of music it is. It starts with vocals and piano right away, and both sound great. I don’t know what’s that piano sound is called but I love it. Singer’s voice is very warm, natural and emotional. Lyrics are very simple but it works because the song is simple as well. There are also some cello (I think), I wonder how would it sound it they played bigger role, under voice instead of solo section. Unfortunately, I can’t say I think it works that good here.

It’s really hard to describe it because it’s simple song. 7,5 because it starts and ends almost abruptly, I don’t like that. Very good song but it needs something to be more special to me.

7.5/10

Scorpion: Thrice - Beggars

I heard their latest recently and I liked some songs and I heard it’s not really their best so I was excited to hear this. In 100% hearing Thrice or Dustin, he sounded too good. I especially like how his voice gets from clean to gritty, and emotion in his voice sounds honest. When that bass kicked in it overpowered everything else. And I told that in round 1, I like loud bass :P Listening for the first time I was expecting it to get more “electric” and it did, with feedback-y guitar in the background. It may seem I love everything about it but even though there’s climax, I miss something to give me a wow factor, dunno.

This song was great and I’m looking forward to exploring them further. As I said, no real complaints, just it doesn’t feel like more than 7,5 to me.

7.5/10

Fluffy Lothario: Fleet Foxes - Lorelai

I listened to their EP a few times but I remember only the song Mykonos, after that I kinda forgot about them. So I knew what to expect and I got exactly that. There is classic uplifting opening: melodic guitar line and vocal harmonies. Harmonies reminds me of classic pop-rock bands like The Beatles. It is pretty “hippy” music :lol Singer’s voice is very nice but I knew that before. Overall sound is very folky, maybe even too much in direction I don’t like that much. On first, this sounds like simple song but there are some instruments in background (brass) and it is actually really complex with it, guitar, drums, vocals and backing vocals.

It is another of those songs I have nothing against but still can’t give it higher score :lol

7.5/10

Elite: Obsidian Kingdom - Away / Absent

It’s weird I never checked it out because you send this in every roulette :D I think I heard something off Mantiis and all I remember is that it was weird, I didn’t like it very much. Intro sounds like classic post metal, heavy bass, atmospheric guitars and then buried vocals. Drumming is really what stands out on first, I like this kind of fills. Also, bass is great. In one moment it sounds very messy and chaotic, not a bad thing, just I needed some time to get what’s happening. Where it gets super awesome is the middle of the song when it gets calmer, creating thick atmosphere. After that, everything is progressively heavier and heavier and then there’s that classic breakdown, really powerful. What I don’t like is production. I feel it could sound better and I if want to hear everything clearly I need to blast it really loud.

Cool song, it was actually my favorite out of heavy songs on first listen but some others have grown on me more. What I don’t like very much is production and it’s really weird song, don’t know what else to call it :lol

8/10

twosuitsluke: Turisas - Miklagard Overture

I heard of them and listened to them before. They didn’t leave great impact on me though, their image seemed silly and it was just too much for me. But this sounds really epic right from the beginning. I’ll probably overuse that word in this write-up but there is no better word than “epic”. I immediately realized singer is not native speaker and that’s why I like growling more than cleans (if that’s same singer at all). But cleans are ok as well. Talking about epicness, “Konstantinopolis” part is :hefdaddy. I like how even calmer parts get heavier and heavier, with electric instead of acoustic guitar. Those trumpets or whatever that is were too much for me at first but I learned to like them and they fit the theme and atmosphere. Whole atmosphere in the middle part is just epic, heavy chuggy guitars, keys, trumpets and what not. And then there’s choir. Epic, again. Me sending Ensiferum in your roulette probably influenced you to send Turisas and while they share similar themes, I don’t hear similarities other than growling style (and I’m glad it’s not that similar). This sound much more progressive than I thought it would be. At the end there’s choir singing “Konstantinopolis” part, I don’t have word to describe that :D

I feel like I could like this band even though I’m not into this kind of music lately. I think 8,5 is fair score. It is one of the best song I got so far but there are some I liked little more.

8.5/10

Scar: Beach House - Myth

I had no idea what to expect out of this, not even what genre it is. It starts almost like some Christmas song :lol melodic guitar and something that sound like bells in the background (?). Progressively, drums and bass kick in giving it really full and dreamy sound. Then I realized it has to be dream pop or something like that. Singer’s voice is also very nice, dreamy and smooth. I wouldn’t realize it is female singer if I didn’t check their Wikipedia page :lol Chorus is absolutely beautiful. And second verse gets even better because of backing vocals which make it more intense. Really simple but it makes it better. Perfect word for this kind of music is bittersweet, and I love that. I feel butterflies in stomach while listening to it :) I’d just like it to be little longer.

It was my favorite on the first listen but two others have grown on me very much so there’s that. But I’m looking forward to checking this out.

8.5/10

home: Fair to Midland - Orphan Anthem '86

I wanted to check this out since forever, I guess now it’s finally time to do it. Atmospheric intro, nice piano, layered vocals, I like all of it and I kinda expected it to sound like it. But I didn’t really expect it to be heavy, more like dredg or something like that. Singer’s voice is very emotional, love it. Now to talk about chorus, it is just perfect, dynamic change over calmer verses and emotion is on point, I love how different vocal styles sound together. Again, I didn’t expect screaming at all. Another thing I like is piano. It’s always there, on both calm and heavy parts. After the song is over I just want to hear it again, especially that chorus, it’s that good. I don’t know what to say about production, it’s raw and while it works, cleaner production may work even better.

I almost gave this 9 but I like song of the round better. Can’t wait to check these guys out!

8.5/10

Train of Naught: Soen - Sectarian

Again, I heard this band before, they sounded pretty much like Tool but I heard they changed a bit. And yes, they definitely did, intro riff already don’t sound like Tool. However, when singers started singing he reminded me of Mikael Akerfeldt and that’s not bad given how much I like Mikael’s voice. Bass and guitar riffs are heavy awesome and Martin Lopez’s drumming, as always, kicks ass. Too bad everything sound mushed together so I can’t really focus on drumming. There were so many good choruses in this round but this one wins the crown. At first I didn’t realize how great it was but with repeated listens this song got few points more just because of that chorus. Solo has eastern vibe, something we can hear in Opeth these days. And after it there’s Blackwater Park riff :P not really but you have to admit there are similarities. Also, I think singer sounds better than on the other songs from them I heard, especially in high end, I don’t think he even tried hitting higher notes on those songs.

Yes, this is definitely their best out of those I heard. I suck at scoring so this gets only 9 :P it almost got 9,5 to be honest but almost. It needs to be really perfect for 9,5 or 10. I’m looking forward to this album, especially if it’ll sound like this.
You're winner of the round and you get to choose your bonus.

9/10

STANDINGS:
1. Shadow Ninja 2.0 - 16 + 1 = 17
2. Train of Naught - 16,5
3. Scar - 16
4. home - 15,5
4. Luoto - 15,5
4. Parama - 15,5
4. Scorpion - 15,5
8. Elite - 15
8. Sacul - 15
8. twosuitsluke - 15
11. Fluffy Lothario - 14,5
12. Evermind - 14

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 2 RESULTS
« Reply #216 on: December 29, 2016, 08:03:50 AM »
Wow, do I suck or what. :lol

Will probably send Round 3 today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #217 on: December 29, 2016, 08:06:31 AM »
Yay :D I'm really looking forward to that Soen album as well, should be good!

Also I'm picking the themed round bonus cause it seems like the most fun one, have to think about a theme though. I will let you know when I come up with something good, should have it for you today
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #218 on: December 29, 2016, 08:07:32 AM »
I don't think more powerful vocals would fit that Pink Floyd -ish chorus really. That said, Kotamäki is no longer with the band and they now have this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqqmQTCqz-o#t=6m22s

They're not purely a melodic death band, they also have notable prog and doom influences. That album is my favourite, but you might like On Lonely Towers more thanks to the lead vocalist.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 08:12:41 AM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #219 on: December 29, 2016, 08:12:37 AM »
Yay :D I'm really looking forward to that Soen album as well, should be good!

Also I'm picking the themed round bonus cause it seems like the most fun one, have to think about a theme though. I will let you know when I come up with something good, should have it for you today
Ok, cool. I assume you want to use it for the next round so everyone should wait for it before sending. 

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #220 on: December 29, 2016, 08:20:01 AM »
Just sent you a rough sketch of an idea, I bet people will hate me/be too restricted with this theme so I'm thinking about a condition, like a second option in case it's too restricting.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #221 on: December 29, 2016, 08:21:30 AM »
By the way, Train, if you don't come up with the theme in the next ~20 hours, I will not be able to send anything until January 3rd.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #222 on: December 29, 2016, 08:23:53 AM »
Checked out that Soen song... Opeth written all over it. These guys seem to have trouble to not sound a bit too much like other bands :lol Good song though

Offline home

« Reply #223 on: December 29, 2016, 08:41:09 AM »
Yeeey

It’s that good. I don’t know what to say about production, it’s raw and while it works, cleaner production may work even better.

I agree with that! This song is from their self released album inter.funda.stifle, their next album: Fables from a Mayfly: what I tell you three times is true is released with a record label and has a way better production. Some of the songs from inter.funda.stifle were actually rerecorded for Fables but sadly not this song :/

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #224 on: December 29, 2016, 08:45:21 AM »
Checked out that Soen song... Opeth written all over it. These guys seem to have trouble to not sound a bit too much like other bands :lol Good song though
True, but I like this song better than any song on the last 3 Opeth albums :corn that doesn't say much though cause I'm not a huge fan of them anyway

I just sent tomislav the theme, waiting for his approval so I guess he will be the one to announce it in the thread. You can choose between two 'themes', though the primary one will give you a chance of gaining a 0,00001 bonus point, so they will have the upper hand in case of a tie. Needless to say, I have a song lined up that matches the primary theme :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #225 on: December 29, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »
7.5 out of meme :neverusethis:

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
COWBELLS
« Reply #226 on: December 29, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
Round 3: Cowbells :neverusethis:

The primary theme is any song that features cowbells, just one section with cowbells would be enough, as long as it's properly audible.

If you do not wish to send anything with cowbells, which I'm sure most won't, the only restriction is a length of 3:30 or shorter.

However, the best cowbell section of the round will be awarded with +0,00001 bonus point so they will have the upper hand in any future tie-breaker situation, in case this happens. I probably made it too easy with the sub-3:30 minute length thing, but I didn't want to be too harsh either.

--
Alright, I'm sending right away

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #227 on: December 29, 2016, 09:34:38 AM »
i legit do not know if i have any song with cowbell

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #228 on: December 29, 2016, 09:40:33 AM »
Come on baby...
Baby take my hand...
We'll be able to fly...
Baby I'm your man...

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2016, 09:46:27 AM »
I thought that you'd dig that song more, oh well.

I'll have to check my library for cowbell, I guess. I've got some kick-ass 3:30 songs too, so it's not that bad a theme.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #230 on: December 29, 2016, 09:58:23 AM »
I don't even know what cowbell is so there you go.

Offline home

« Reply #231 on: December 29, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
I don't even know what cowbell is so there you go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F7A24f6gNc

From 9 seconds on.

Edit: Ooh I just remembered a song which has a cool cowbell part and it's exactly 3:30. No idea if you're going to like it tho. I'm probably better of sending a non cowbell song under 3:30, nah I'm going for that bonus!
Sent cowbell your way through Spotify  :hat
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 10:14:08 AM by home »

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #232 on: December 29, 2016, 11:46:02 AM »
Okay, got it. As a guy who doesn't pay attention to drums, this theme is a total miss for me. I'm going with a short song.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #233 on: December 29, 2016, 02:01:22 PM »
I'm always a fan of weird themes so that's good  :lol

However, if I can't find a song I like enough, that has cowbells, then I'll send something under 3:30, obviously.

Glad you liked Turisas dude, that song truly is epic in every sense. It's not really representative of that album, or any other song of theirs I can think of. It's a great album closer but don't expect to hear much else like that on the album.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #234 on: December 29, 2016, 02:20:42 PM »
Hell yeah, I remembered there was a song with cowbells that is by a band I was planning to send anyway. Screw it, if I can't take risks I don't want to live  :lol

So in short, sent.

Online twosuitsluke

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. ROUND 2 RESULTS! SEND FOR ROUND 3
« Reply #235 on: December 30, 2016, 06:17:12 AM »
I was listening to Awake last night and realised that Caught in a Web has cowbells in it. Just saying, there's plenty of scope within this themed round :corn

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #236 on: December 30, 2016, 07:41:59 AM »
Sure, if all bands I know using cowbell weren't banned :lol

This theme definitely limited my submission quite dramatically.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2017, 04:29:54 AM »
Hey, guys. I'd like you to send as soon as possible because this week I'm still home and don't have anything important to do. But if you can't that's ok. 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2017, 11:54:53 AM »
Thread title time

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2017, 12:22:00 PM »
Thread title time
Not yet, there are too many of them :P

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #240 on: January 03, 2017, 12:43:07 PM »
Well at least PM everyone then  :lol

Offline Tomislav95

Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. SEND FOR ROUND 3: Elite, Fluffy, Sacul, Scorpion
« Reply #241 on: January 04, 2017, 03:52:34 PM »
Thread title changed :corn

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. SEND FOR ROUND 3: Elite, Fluffy, Sacul, Scorpion
« Reply #242 on: January 04, 2017, 04:06:00 PM »
dunked

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. SEND FOR ROUND 3: Elite, Fluffy
« Reply #243 on: January 04, 2017, 05:05:09 PM »
Sent

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Re: Tomislav's Roulette v. SEND FOR ROUND 3: Elite, Fluffy
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2017, 04:16:04 AM »
Sent (Winning this round)
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey